Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009
Sorry, wall of text in an ADHD topic, the irony...

As somebody already mentioned, this topic was like reading pages and pages of my own posts.

I just went and finally saw a psychiatrist again about my ADHD, after years and years of feeling like I didn't have it because I didn't respond well to ritalin for a few years and the extended release concerta. I'm not sure why I didn't respond to these medications, maybe because I didn't really want to focus on anything in school because in middle school I was way more focused on computers and becoming socially accepted (thank you elementary school for getting teased into trauma, no really) than I was on doing my homework. For me, my ADHD kinda has gotten more and more brutal over the years, as I was a great student in elementary school, only missed a few homework assignments here and there. Meh in middle school, but I had a lot of help from different teachers and tutors to get me through 7th and 8th grade. In high school I didn't even get C's my freshman year, even with some medication, so you can kinda figure how the next couple of years went. My senior year my counselor almost let me drop out so I could take the GED later, but luckily some parental intervention and an amazing counselor bumped me to the top of a waiting list for a continuation high school. I showed up 8am-1pm everyday, with no homework, only to go home and have my life consumed by World of Warcraft. The WoW addiction went on for a couple of years, but that's out of my life and I'm still working on getting rid of the bad habits it developed.

I've tried several times to go [back] to college, without finishing a single semester, though I did get a month away from finishing a really interesting english class. The teacher was amazing and totally understanding because she was more focused on teaching people than having people reaffirm her interest in her subject area by turning in homework with lots of assignments put in. For all of you other people in here, how the hell did you guys get through college, and some of you post-grad with ADHD? I did grow up as the ADHD poster child though, so maybe I just have a bad case.

My biggest problems have been staying focused on ANYTHING for more than a week at a time. New job? Bored in week, fired in a month (no really, ask me about all the jobs I've gotten fired from, including the ones where I told them I had ADHD and they didn't even care and thought I was just a drama queen). New hobby? Bored in a week with hundreds of wasted dollars. I have literally struggled through everything I've done, the entire time ridden with guilt because everybody just pinned me as lazy, and I accepted that for a long time.

I think the best example I have of ADHD affecting me was a week-long assignment I had in 6th grade. I actually sat down and tried working on it a couple of times iirc, only to be frustrated and not understand the question. The due-date came, and I decided I really wanted to be a good student in middle school so I told my teacher I'd use one of my late passes to turn it in. I worked really hard on it over the weekend, despite not really understanding what the questions were asking me. I mean, intellectually I knew what they were asking, but when I went to write an answer it never came out right, and I got flustered but persevered through the entire thing. I turned it in the next day and got an F on it, despite spending so much time on it. Queue the next few years of hundreds of assignments going similarly or not at all, because half the time I wouldn't do my homework because avoiding it was easier. There were only a handful of times where I'd turn in an assignment, get it back and have done a good job on it and get that feeling of satisfaction. Even then the feeling was so foreign I didn't respond well to it, and even with things like people praising me for a job well done for things like playing piano I shunned because I wasn't used to positive attention.

Anyway, long gay rant, I don't usually talk about my ADHD (thanks to years of denial and missed opportunities for mentors to intervene, but meh) but when I was reading through this topic last night I felt relieved, overjoyed, and the same kinda feeling you get when you want to cry about something happy. Just the feeling of knowing all these problems I've had over the years isn't just me being a complete lazy failure and gently caress-up, is just overwhelming. It's at perfect moment too because I'm almost out of money and have been so hesitant looking for another job because I know it'd just end with me getting fired for not working hard enough. Finally just have an opportunity to piece my life back together and not give up 20 minutes in because it feels hopeless. I could literally write pages on my frustrations with this stupid disease over the years, but I wont bore you guys. If you have questions I'm pretty open to answering almost anything.

On a final note, I've been having a couple of side-effects with the Adderall, namely jaw clenching. I know the dry mouth tends to stick around, which just started today with the 15mg dose, but will the jaw-clenching? My jaw's starting to get sore. I've only been on Adderall for like 5 days, so maybe I just need to get adjusted to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

zacfinchum posted:

You never mentioned how well the adderall is working for you I don't think, unless I missed it. I started taking Concerta about a month ago, and while it was amazing at first, I seem to have built up a tolerance or some poo poo. I can literally rail 40mg of ritalin and go to bed, what the gently caress?

I did forget to mention it, it's been working wonders. I had my A+ test on Friday, and on thursday for the first time since I started studying for it, I was able to pay attention to the material for more than a maximum of an hour at a time, realistically 15-20 minutes. I actually went 2.5 hours of study in the morning, short lunch, and then another three hours with only a couple of breaks for snacks/water. Ramped up from 5mg twice a day to 15mg twice a day. Going back to the doc in a couple of weeks and I'll be better able to say then what my effective dose will be.

Flillia posted:

The jaw-clenching went away for me but it doesn't for everyone. If your problem is clenching, it might help to keep a piece of gum or a lollipop in your mouth. Chewing gum for too long can lead to sore jaws too but it might help to break you of the habit

I'll try both suggestions, as the clenching is only happening when I'm not paying attention. If I consciously relax my jaw for a little bit, all's gravy until 20 minutes later when I got a death lock going on.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

Sekhmet posted:

I got through my undergraduate degrees (both of them) pretty much because I could always understand complex concepts and interrelationships between things really well, but usually got burned out and hosed over by the details, or by some stupid little error on the exam (skipping a multiple choice question on a scantron and not realizing it, etc). I also would tend to do really, really well on the first exam or two in a course (like curve-breakingly well) and progressively lose interest as the semester went on but was carried by my earlier grades - sometimes a final push or generous curve would let me get an A in the class anyway, but I got a lot of B's and C's in courses in which I had the top score on the first exam. It also helped that the exams were multiple choice - essay exams were and continue to be the bane of my existence. I just don't do well with timed formal writing like that.

Seriously, in classes where the professors would discuss exam results and class statistics, my scores invariably went down on each exam while the class averages went up each time. This was no matter how much I tried to "study" or how much effort I put into it. Only after I was diagnosed and began treatment was I able to sustain even a remote level of interest in a class from beginning to end.

How did you get your homework done, or were you lucky enough to go to a school where it was only mid-terms + finals that counted for your grades? Inevitably I always fall behind on the homework, and despite almost always doing really well on tests (well for classes that don't require a ton of outside studying, like math) I'd always get hosed and would just lose interest and stop showing up.

It's strange you say you don't do well with essay tests, because writing, while sometimes laborious, is pretty easy once you get the hyperfocus going. Granted, I write a lot better on the computer when I can bounce all over the page and add in details exactly where they need to go, but even on paper it was never that hard. Maybe I didn't get far enough in college to notice this, however.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

flavaaDAAAAAVE posted:

I've just gotten diagnosed and prescribed Adderall. 15 mg XR with 5 mg IR when needed. I forgot to ask the doc, is there anything to worry about with mixing this and coffee? I love my specialty blends and faggy iced mochas so I hope it's not a big deal.

edit - I asked the pharmacist about this and he said "it might make it less effective. it might make it more effective." and shrugged. Thanks.

I was having some really intense jaw-clenching the first few days. I read that caffeine exacerbates the side effect so I had to stop drinking coffee. Nasty headaches for the first few days but I think I kicked the caffeine addiction nice and good. Still having some jaw clenching but it never is to a point where it's uncomfortable. I miss coffee, so delicious :x

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

Qu Appelle posted:

Depends on the definition of 'psych':

If they're a Psychologist, then no.

If they're a Psychiatrist, then yes - these are medical doctors.

Psychologists licensed in Louisiana & New Mexico with extra training can prescribe, apparently.

I just started seeing a psychologist for therapy. My psychiatrist seems more concerned with writing a script and getting me out the door than anything else.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

Qu Appelle posted:

I get this; I've found that the Adderall evens them out a fair bit. It feels like I'm getting really REALLY excited about something, yet it doesn't ever get to the level where I do things out of my control - like spend a lot of money, etc. I just chalk it up as my brain being weird - probably a Dopamine imbalance balancing out, or whatever. But, from what I've heard of manic episodes, it doesn't feel like that at all, and my Psychiatrist confirmed that I don't have Bipolar Disorder.

And I have to agree with the awesomeness of snagging a good Psychiatrist. Even though mine isn't covered by my insurance, I still see mine and just pay for him out of pocket, because he's that good. I've been seeing him for about a decade now.

I was seeing a psychiatrist who was alright, but he kinda hosed up and told my mom without my consent that I was smoking weed. Already had trust issues so I saw him for a little while longer, since I was covered under insurance, and haven't seen him since.

My new psychologist seems cool so far. He seems to have simple approaches for issues I bring up, and while it kinda seems like a "yeah no poo poo" suggestion, the way he puts it makes it much more likely to try what he's suggesting.

Anyway, on an unrelated note, my Adderall IR has been making me sleepy some days. Been having some muscle spasms in my neck / just a stiff neck for a few days now so I've been trying to lay down when I'm reading my Network+ study book. The last few days without fail, regardless of the time of day or time relative to when I took the meds, I get really sleepy and have fallen asleep a few times.

It's really weird because my heart rate is higher than when I'm not on the meds, so I dunno. Doing 20mg twice a day still, might try 30mg but goddammit I've only been taking this for a month and I'm already almost at max dose.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009
I don't think you can call ADHD behavior modifiers. After awhile you don't even notice the effects anymore and it's just a subtle change. You know that feeling where you're trying really hard to focus on something and it just feels like frustration? The period of time where you actively have to get your mind into a semi-hyperfocused mode is reduced significantly, though you still kind of have to be conscious of it. Maybe other people have a different feeling.

That being said I never noticed caffeine affecting particularly, except when I don't drink any for a long time. Been trying to stay away from it altogether because coffee's expensive when you're unemployed (I can't drink folger's, super taster and I used to work at a high-end chain). Though I definitely notice it helps me get going in the morning, without adderall it's really hard to do anything after the caffeine buzz wears off. I've been avoiding drugs of all kinds while I've been starting out on the meds so I can seperate the effect from other substances. Good thing about that is I quit smoking weed, finally, so at least one good thing has come of it.

On a different note, I have a "trial by fire" chance for a job on Monday, and I'm going to need to take my meds at least once while I'm there. What's the best way to take my pills without letting my potential employer know I have ADHD? I can't really take the script bottle due to obvious rattle, but I don't want to be walking around with a controlled substance and no script on hand for it. Should I just leave the bottle in my car, or how do you guys do it?

I'm going to be so mad if I gently caress this job up, but I'm sure as poo poo not letting the fuckup be attributed to my ADHD in any way. I have bad results with telling employers long after I've been hired, so to be up front about it is pretty much out of the question. Other people in the same boat as me?

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

Aculard posted:

What we did in the military when we had medication was to fill the empty space of the bottle with papertowel. That way they don't rattle around and it's all smooth sailing from there.

I'm going to do this. It's not so much that I'm worried about my employer catching me taking pills without a prescription, so much that if for some unforeseen reason law enforcement found me without the script, I don't want to have a problem.

Not like I'm going to get searched or anything, because I don't really do anything illegal anymore (don't smoke weed, and if I were going to again I'd go get my prescription renewed), and I don't drive stupid so I'm not terribly worried, but I like playing it safe.

Qu Appelle posted:

Lately, I've been taking a break from my Adderall, mainly because I'm now unemployed, so I'm not feeling the need to take it every day. However, I do take it on the two days I'm in class (I'm taking Programming) and the days I'm studying, and it helps. (The other reason for my break was to wait until my health insurance got straightened out via COBRA; I didn't want to run out before I was insured again, so I was rationing them :911: GO USA gently caress YEAH)

I'm sorry :sympathy:. I'm sure there's a million other people in this thread who can sympathize with employment issues, yours truly being number one on that list. I agree wholeheartedly that our system is stupid, and anybody who thinks adding a public option is morally wrong or what the gently caress ever is an unsympathetic jerk who wants people to suffer. (Yeah I know it's a deeper issue than that but let me not be my usual Captain Rational for a few hours and pretend everything's really simple)

octothorpopus posted:

Have you ever mentioned to someone that you have ADHD and they were all, "So do I! :words:" and told stories or symptoms or whatever even though they don't really have it?

I call it the self-diagnosis, and I liberally make fun of people who self-diagnose mental conditions.

:j: "Oh emm gee I'm so OCD I love the color orange so much which is why I simply HAVE to clean everything in my house with BILLY MAY'S NEW ORANGE CLEANING PRODUCT. Also I love febreeze and can't live more than 12 minutes without it.
:allears: Oh really? Did your doctor decide to put you on medication, or do you just do CBT?
:j: Well actually, I don't really have OCD I just act like it though!
:airquote: "OCD" huh?

It happens all the time with people saying they're so "ADD right now" or whatever stupid expression it is. One could say they're not doing any harm and are just using words to describe a behavior but it makes my actual condition seem insignificant in the long run. When people use "ADD" or "ADHD" when feeling a little bit distracted or apathetic that day, it makes people think of me as some dumbass who can't get his poo poo together because clearly I could concentrate if I wanted to. :bang:

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Holy poo poo, reading all this, I feel like I need to get checked for it.

How does a test for it work, anyway?

There is no "test" for it, but you need to have a history of ADHD from a young age. If you didn't get a diagnosis when you were in elementary school, you'd probably need to have some kind of supporting evidence like report cards from elementary school, etc.

That being said, there's plenty of doctors that will take your word for it, though I'd be wary of some. There's a lot of doctors out there who will diagnose and prescribe medication to make somebody feel like their trip to the doctor was worthwhile. It's like when you go to the doctor and they diagnose you with the common cold; all you need is to rest for a few days, but some doctors might prescribe you a slightly stronger version of cough syrup that you can get by just taking a higher dose of an over the counter product.

Also, positive response to ADHD medication is not indicative of ADHD. This is not to say that I think you don't have it, but just be careful.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

permanoob posted:

I have a question though. When you tell someone you have ADD, are you ever met with disbelief? I've been told by a couple of doctors and friends and a brother "I find it hard to believe you're now just figuring this out. Most adults have learned to cope with it by now." I feel offended to a degree. As though they feel like I'm copping out or something. I briefly tell them the problems I continued to have as an adult and growing up. They more or less roll their eyes and say "Oook."

I tend not to keep company that would disparage any kind of medical condition, regardless of the controversy surrounding it (that only existed because the medication is a schedule II controlled substance).

But people are going to be dicks, regardless of what it is. If you go over to W&W and in the ultimate transformation threads you'll read about the ultimate transformations of friends, who go from nice people to outright d-bags when their friends are making positive changes. People are especially unsympathetic when they can't understand how things could possibly be different because, "This is the way I work, and I'm totally normal, right?" I've personally learned not to tell people, because there's still a negative stigma toward mental diseases. The only thing you gain from telling other people about your issues is acknowledgement and affirmation that you're normal, which doesn't happen, so why tell them? The worst part about mental illness, isn't that you think differently or that you have difficulties with certain parts of your life, it's dealing with people treating you different.

The only thing I would say is, don't take it seriously and be explicit about how people are being offensive. If somebody is acting like they're incredulous about it, ask them straight up, "Oh, do you not believe me?" Put them on the defensive, if they say they don't believe in ADHD ask them if they believe in anxiety disorders or clinical depression. Ask them if they think those diagnosed with anorexia should just stop whining and eat more? Then ask why they feel ADHD is any different (if at all). If they have some bullshit opinion about it, sarcastically thank them for the professional medical opinion and move on.

No this isn't nice, but why let it annoy you later. If you start off friendly and confide in them, stand up for yourself and don't let other people make you feel abnormal.

As for your difficulties with appointments etc., I've been able to not miss appointments and be late for stuff for almost a year now. Unless I have a set schedule, where there is no way I could forget about an appointment, I write it down the instant somebody tells me about it. If I don't, I'm going to forget about it. Having a smart phone really helps with this because it makes it super easy, has an alarm, and in most cases can sync with your google calendar so you can keep track of appointments even if you misplace your phone. For the being late part, I just got fired from so many jobs for being tardy that after awhile I just learned that I absolutely cannot be late for poo poo anymore, and I will stress out if I'm not early for something, and it's easier to avoid the stress by just not being late.

As for procrastinating, I'm still working on it but I'm getting better. I always start doing chores the second I get a phone call from friends. This way conversation keeps me entertained, and when the phone call is over and I haven't finished the chores, I've already started doing poo poo so it's hard to justify stopping and going back to procrastinating. With your symptoms I'm sure you have tons of strategies for dealing with day-to-day difficulties, so it's about finding what works for you and if you find some success in it just stick to it.

Speaking of not procrastinating, I need to finish getting ready for my trial by fire at this job. Wish me luck and pray that Captain Adderall won't let me down.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

drumwolf posted:

The worst part is that there are a lot of so-called medical and mental health professionals who aren't much more well-informed than all of these well-meaning laypersons who say poo poo like "you just need to snap out of it" or "everyone's all like that" in a misguided effort to comfort you.

My own therapist seemed like he wanted to convince himself that he could help me with my issues using good old-fashioned old-school platitudes like "oh, it all has to do with how your parents treated you as a child," without having to bother himself with silly newfangled labels like ADHD.

Maybe the way my parents treated me as a child partly has to do with my mental illness? No way, that's impossible.

I hope you don't keep going to that therapist. There's a certain amount of "ok snap out of it" with any kind of therapy, but it's not like you guys talk for awhile, he snaps his fingers some point and you're all good. You're totally right about some medical professionals. Remember, 50% of doctors graduated in the bottom half of their class.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009
Hey, just wanna say whoever recommended Delivered from Distraction (all of you, because I know there are quite a few) are probably life savers. My mom bought it for me years ago, but I didn't make it past the intro, so I missed out on a lot.

I've known about my ADHD since I was in middle school. Not once during the entire time I've known my diagnosis has a doctor actually helped me beyond either telling me what the diagnosis is, or writing a prescription. Not a single doctor tried to help me develop life skills for long-term success, and not a single one looked at any of my problems beyond "oh he has trouble doing schoolwork and staying focused, welp we got pills."

This diesease has been the single defining aspect of my life, and despite all the professional help my parents have tried to provide me with, almost every single one of them failed. I see a psychologist right now, but mostly it seems like somebody who I can talk to once a week, brain-dump, and make sure there aren't any unhealthy thought processes, which is really important for me right now, but I digress. My recent revelation, and small steps of success as of late have been 100% my own prerogative which is the greatest feeling in the world, but also the most frustrating at the exact same time because my entire life I've wanted to know why I struggled with day to day life.

Most of the doctors I saw had no problem telling me how special I was after I told them how I "felt." The only thing this ever did was give me an ego, and created even more problems. I never really told any of them how I "felt" either. I felt like poo poo for 10 years, and very rarely could I tell anybody. I had my trust betrayed on almost every level dozens of times while I was a kid, so I learned not to trust anybody very quickly. All I think of when I look back on my childhood is pain and frustration. I don't think I was ever really happy, and the only times where I didn't feel like poo poo was when I had something new and/or exciting to distract me. Soon as the distraction wore off, the feeling of apathy, and general shittiness sunk back in.

I feel like things may be getting better, because I just landed a very good paying job for my credential (read: none) and despite the job not being perfect, it is exactly perfect in the ways I need it to be. You guys may have noticed my being suspended, and that happened on Monday when I just started posting whatever poo poo I wanted to, starting fights with people because I was launching into the "spiral" out of control. All this started because I just got a job, and felt constricted because it meant having to show up to the same place every day, and I wasn't thrilled with it day 1 but I'm quickly learning how to make it work for me.

I caught myself briefly, and by pure chance stumbled across the section in DfD where Hellowell describes to the loving T what I do every single time I self-sabotage. So to whichever one of you suggested reading DfD and broke the camel's back when I saw the suggestion, you probably just saved my life and gave me a chance to break this pattern of inevitable failure. Granted, I don't think it's the book alone that's helping me, so much as it's a personal attitude shift towards addressing and learning to work with my ADHD combined with conducive elements like medication and weekly therapy to work through those really, really hard days, but without this book I would have been back to square one in the near future. I will do everything in my power to prevent myself from burning out and allowing myself to self-sabotage, and now that I consciously know the signs, I'm not going to let it happen again unless it's too much, but that's why I need to work on building myself a support network of friends, as I haven't made much effort since moving to LA almost a year ago.

My job pays well enough that I'll be able to get a new car within the next year (new old car that is), and be able to go out, enrich my life outside the internet and afford it without impacting my ability to provide for my basic needs. The only thing I need to do is hang in there, wait to get paid every couple of weeks and reach some long-term goals consistently.

Lots of :words:, but I am leaving out probably an additional 1500 words I really wanted to put in here, but I had to remind myself which topic I was posting in.

TheGopher fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jul 31, 2010

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

McFunkerson posted:

Well my fellow ADD addled goons, today I join your ranks. I just got back from my first appointment with my psych and have been officially diagnosed with "moderate" add and have been given my first prescription for Concerta at the age of 29! I first suspected I had ADD when I was 21ish but never really bothered to do anything about it. Kinda wish I didn't wait so long because, as I've read from some of you, there have been so many unfinished projects and lost potential at this point in my life. Tomorrow I start taking 18mg (or was it 16mg?) pills for the first week before doubling up and then going back to see the psych in 3 weeks.

I was also told it was required that I see a counselor as well to help me break bad habits I've picked up. I was told the meds will help the symptoms but not necessarily the behavior. Is that fairly common? Sorry I swear I looked at every page, I'd say read but... ya know there was a lot of skimming in there too.

Read Delivered from Distraction. In terms of bad habits, Hallowell pretty much nails every little detail about ADHD you haven't thought of as part of the condition. All the times you're like "gently caress, why the gently caress do I always do this poo poo," or even "why can't I get my poo poo together," are just parts of ADHD. You'll pick up on why you do things or think a certain way, and the entire time you'll be chuckling because he's so spot on, or pissed off because you didn't figure this out sooner.

In terms of therapy, you have to be proactive. After years of watiing for a doctor to give me what I need in therapy, I'm going in prepared, in part due to this book, and in part due to wanting very badly to break all my ADHD-induced habits and patterns. I talk about the behaviors as ADHD related, and don't assume my psychologist actually understands exactly what I'm talking about, because a lot of people are generally uninformed about the condition, even professionals. This isn't to say I throw the book at him, but I explain what's going on in my head in my own words and explain how I feel it's related to ADHD. You might argue I should go to a professional who is very knowledgeable about ADHD, but I don't need somebody who understands me, can pat me on the back and say everything's ok and I'm normal, I need somebody who can help me figure out how to change so I can respond to everyday events in a "normal" manner. Figure out how you want to get better and be proactive in therapy trying to reach that "goal".

Also, I've never heard of anybody who's been diagnosed with ADHD having a severity attached to it. Did he say whether or not you're impulsive or hyperactive? I should also point out, that though you may respond positively to medication, positive response to stimulants is not a confirmation of your diagnosis. On the flipside, if the medication doesn't work, it doesn't mean you don't have ADHD either, as not every medication works for every person with ADHD. Some people don't respond to any medication at all.

As a last note, I must say that since I got on Adderall, it has been incredibly easier trying to overcome my symptoms and be more successful in mundane day-to-day activities. I can't even describe how insanely helpful it's been at work for me, and the difference is noticeable. It took me a month to notice how it made things differently after I got on the right dose, but I finally feel normal in a ton of ways. Good luck to you sir.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

Aculard posted:

What happens when you don't eat properly with your meds?

For me it exacerbates the side effects. If I don't eat very much and take my meds I'll get more noticeable jaw clenching and I'm definitely a little more irritable.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

McFunkerson posted:

I've been on 18mg Concerta since Friday. It's my first time being on daily medication of any kind. The first day I felt fairly jittery for about 10 hours, similar to if I was drinking coffee all day. The next day I barely felt it, and now I don't really feel it at all. My psych pretty much told me 18mg wouldn't do much for me because that's what they give 5year olds. This coming Friday I'm supposed to start taking 2 instead of just the one.

As far as it helping my concentration, I haven't really noticed it besides that first day. However I'm on a family vacation/road trip this week so I haven't actually been trying to focus since last Friday either. We'll see how things go next week when I'm back at work and I'm on 36mg.

This is what happened with me. Started taking 5mg of adderall, and worked my way up to 20mg pretty quickly. I tried 30mg for a few days, but I only take it on the days where I'm really dragging. You know those afternoons, no matter how much sleep you got, where you just can't stay awake. The extra 10mg can easily make me go from sleepy to "hey I feel normal."

As for when you settle into the "right" dose. You won't notice the amphetamine effect anymore, and if you're like me you'll feel like it's not working because it's not obvious, but trust me, you'll know it's right. I forgot my medication yesterday and I couldn't make it through the day. Only been here like 10 minutes and I can already feel the difference and I'm so glad all it takes is a pill to make my working life not miserable.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

flavaaDAAAAAVE posted:

edit - still wondering if adderall isn't working very long for anyone else? I see some people only take two IR's a day. I need at least 3 to get through the work day.

Only need 2 to get through a work day at the moment, but my job isn't painfully boring or anything. Without just 2 a day though, oh man, there's no way I can be productive. :niggly:

flavaaDAAAAAVE posted:

My concern is that this debilitating affliction might linger after the adderall is out of my system. Is this concern of mine valid? I mean, I need to take something for my ADD, but I'd like to at least get some satisfaction in the morn' if a day full of the meds impugns my body's nightly desire.

A, you're a nerd, you nerd, B, I personally haven't had any impotent-ish side effets with adderall, but I did get it pretty hardcore with Lexapro. Which were you taking first? You didn't make that part very clear. ;)

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009
I saw that article too, and it makes sense, though it's very aggravating that ADHD's symptoms masquerade as immaturity in a lot of cases. Then again I think Asperger's suffers the same treatment; people tend to recognize it as a "real" condition despite how much they make fun of it.

On another note, I feel like I'm cheating now. I get all the benefits of being a "normal" person during the week while on meds and during my time off I can enjoy all the benefits of ADHD. My mental multitasking is insane off meds, like tonight I was at a concert singing along, counting & keeping time, and fending off the growing mosh pit all at the same time.

I must say, for those of you who are lurking, or even posting, and have apprehensions about medication, please don't do what I did and shun it for a large period of time where it could have been incredibly useful because you want to "man up" or "tough it out" or whatever you're thinking. The difference on and off meds is the difference between day and night for me, and I can't imagine trying to be successful in everyday endeavors without medication anymore.

I love adderall, and I love that all it takes is a magic pill to make me a "normal" person who doesn't have to struggle every moment of every day trying to make it through life.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

Aculard posted:

FOOD.

How does everyone get enough of it in them while on this damned medication? I'm hopefully switching to instant release adderall to combat this, but what's everyone who pretty much becomes anorexic on this stuff game plans?

Are you just not remembering to eat, or are you not hungry and have to force the food down?

I've been on instant release for awhile, and it's just forgetting with me. Once I start eating I realize I'm pretty hungry, but I never get hungry enough to overeat in the slightest, which is a good thing. After a couple of months of being on the meds I don't really forget or neglect eating, but I do tend to procrastinate. I must say, however, it's nice being able to really focus on work sometimes and not be interrupted by feeling incredibly hungry.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

RandomJapaneseGirl posted:

I'm getting things done and I don't dread doing the non-fun stuff, because now I can focus on getting it done instead of it eating up my entire day while OH LOOK A KITTEN.

The big word in that sentence is "dread." It's not that we're lazy, it's that trivial tasks become overwhelming because it is such an ordeal to do the most basic things. ADHDers do not have a very good sense of time, so things that in reality take 15-20 minutes feel like hours. There are times when I'm folding laundry and it literally feels like it will never end. Combined with the fact that these tasks are so difficult to finish because at any second our attention just drops without even realizing it until an hour or so later later after you've reasearched everything there is to know about the British House of Commons on Wikipedia. Then the anxiety kicks in becasue you still haven't finished folding laundry and have to pull yourself away to go finish it, but now all your clothes are wrinkled so there's no point in finishing because you'll just pull them out of the basket during the week. Then because all your clean clothes are in your laundry basket you can't put your dirty clothes there and the disorganization starts...

Maybe not everybody has this one, but laundry is my arch-nemesis. Since I started on the medication it hasn't been this much of a struggle and I even iron my dress shirts when I'm done with washing them until waiting 20 minutes before I need to walk out the door. :3:

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009
It makes me very sad that people keep coming into this topic with classic ADHD symptoms but think only conscious focus is the main issue...

I wish there were more effort informing people in general what ADHD really is. The part about having difficulties paying attention to the task at hand is such a small part of the condition, it'd be like saying bipolar people are either really sad or really happy. It sort of describes the condition, but it's not accurate and would be incredibly insulting to tell that person "Why can't you just have normal emotions? Just stop getting so worked up." Nobody in their right mind would say to that somebody with bipolar disorder, so why do ADHDers have to listen to everybody telling us to just stop being lazy?

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

casual poster posted:

Isn't ADHD just the new term for ADD?

Yes, and there are three subtypes, hyperactive-impulsive, predominantly inattentive, or both. However, in years past ADD and ADHD were used to describe the differences between the inattentive and hyperactive-impulsive subtypes respectively.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

Effexxor posted:

Why not just take a pill that works even better, still allows you to function, and is easy and cheap (he has good insurance, so it would be).

I don't have an answer. I have a friend who is in a similar spot, but he knows he's loving up, obviously as a result of ADHD he refuses to recognize, but he wont do anything about it. He just got kicked out of school less than half a year away from graduating and moved back in with his mom. He saw me do the same thing years ago with this kind of poo poo and now I'm on salary and make a shitload more money than I ever thought I would at my age (it's a modest salary on the scale of salaries, but how the gently caress did I even get a salary?). I've been harping on and on about the success of adderall and how it's changed my life for the better, but he will not budge.

He'll constantly just flat out lie to get out of situations, but I digress. I have no idea why it is some of us ADHDers at one point had enough motivation to say "Enough is enough," and go get the help we need to perform in regular life but there are still a large number of people who will suffer through every endeavor, only proving the people around them right in the end that they were just lazy and needed to try harder, even though medication would have given them the same result.

It makes me really sad to see the people who can benefit from medication/therapy the most are the biggest victims of misinformation. If nobody knew anything about ADHD except doctors and those with it it'd be so much better than all this negative attention it receives all because its medication is a controlled substance. We sometimes get written off as drug seeking when people find out we take medication for it, and when we don't take medication we're just lazy and unmotivated.

gently caress the social stigmas of this condition, but since I've been able to be successful at work while taking medication, I would never trade in my ADHD, and I can't imagine life without it.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

Aculard posted:

On the topic of "ADHD ISN'T A REAL MENTAL DISORDER!" I'm finding a weird trend where all these food scientists are claiming a yellow or orange dye is causing kids to contract adhd or something. I think it's bullshit, as I'm sure there are several cases of people who've eaten clean since birth, or that there isn't really many cases of "child suddenly gets adhd from vaccination!"

So what if ADHD is caused by something in particular. We have medication and therapy to help the kids that get it, so until somebody figures out exactly what it is (which they may never) why don't we stop taking the approach that there's something wrong with you if you're not like everybody else.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

Kylra posted:

If there's nothing "wrong" with ADHD, then there's no reason for the diagnosis to exist, for it to be a disability, or for it to be treated with controlled substances. Unless by wrong you specifically meant "amoral".

Sorry that post came out way more hostile than I meant it to, and it wasn't directed at anybody. I'm not really what you mean by amoral here, because I don't know if you're saying my usage of 'wrong' should be literally substituted with 'amoral' or if you mean it's wrong from a moral perspective. I'm guessing it's the later, and that is what I meant.

Aculard posted:

Also, therapy and medication is so drat expensive. I'm pretty drat unhappy about the money sink medication, therapy, books, and all that jazz cost; you probably know that pain too. It's also the fact that this isn't a short term, take a few months meds and be a-ok for life.

I totally feel for you, and it's ridiculous that for most people some medical treatments are completely out of reach, even when they are by no means poor. It's like you're not insured/rich enough to pay for your treatments, but you're not poor enough to get a handout, nor would you expect one.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

Kylra posted:

stuff

I think you might be overreading into what I'm saying a bit. I'm not being so specific about it, but there definitely is a negative stigma for people with mental diseases whether they're diagnosed or not. Most of the time it's not, "Well I guess Timmy is a little different, albeit frustrating at times," it's, "Why is little Timmy not like all the other kids? What's wrong with him?"

Yes, obviously there is something not right in ADHD brains compared to normal brains, but it sure as hell isn't "wrong" whether you're looking at it from a scientific or moral standpoint. Seems wrong to me that some people can sit in a chair for 8 hours a day and fill out paperwork and not get distracted by something way more interesting. I mean, how crazy is it that you can do the most boring thing in the world and never once let yourself get pulled away by something more interesting?

We're just different, and luckily we can temporarily fit into the mold of day-to-day drudgery with some help from medication and therapy (at least most of us can, for those of you who don't respond to medication, I'm sorry), but it's a means to an end, not the definition of how life should be lived. I would never, ever trade in my ADHD, now that I am more successful at work with medication, and I can't imagine living life without it.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

fyallm posted:

Thanks for this, I will make sure I do this, is there any types of questions I should be asking to see if me and the psychiatrist is a good fit? I just never liked the idea of taking a pill and it changing how I act. I am not sure why I feel this way, but it is just how I do. I drink lots of caffeine and some alcohol but I just look at it differently, and I don't drink those 2 to help with my ADHD.

I received some research notes on some local centers around me that accept my insurance and can provide treatments for ADHD. Now I just need to figure out if I really want to make this call....

Has anyone ever attended a CHADD organization meeting? I was given the name of the person who runs the chapter in my city and their website. Seems like a pretty legit place and was wondering if anyone here has used it?

You don't want to even see how medication works before you write it off? That seems pretty silly. Sounds like you just want to be stubborn, and it's easier to say you don't need a pill when you can just "man up" and not be one of those people that needs medication.

If you've read through this topic, not only I but tons of other people have said the difference between being on and off medication is the difference between night and day. It's like trying to explain to somebody what it's like to be drunk if they've never had a drink before, although this isn't about recreational abuse of a substance. There's people in this topic who have complained about feeling like a zombie on some meds, and they switched to medications that worked better.

Personally, my personality hasn't changed at all, and I'm a calmer, more patient person like I've always wanted to be, and it's really, really nice. In terms of how I work and am able to approach every day situations? Tremendous improvement and it is the greatest thing in the world.

Now if only the stupid secretary for my doc will call me back so I can get my script refilled tomorrow so I'm not screwed on Friday without meds.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

Qu Appelle posted:

As for appointments, that's one of the reasons I invested in an Android phone. I put everything - EVERYTHING - in Google, sync it all, and with important appointments, I'll set up to 5 'reminders'. It also helps in my head that 'missing an appointment = getting charged for it', and that's then money I don't have to spend on other, more fun things. That's a big incentive to make sure I have my appointments scheduled, and to actually show up on time.

My motto is, "If it can't sync with google I can't use it." My entire life is run on google calendar appointments, and if I don't write poo poo down literally the second I am thinking about it I will forget.

I missed an appointment two fridays ago because I made the appointment while I was driving to get lunch, and thought I would put it in my calendar when I got out...stupid rear end in a top hat cut me off, gently caress missed that red light. Oh well, at least NPR is interesting... and there goes 90 bucks.

Oh well, at least I can afford it, but I wish I didn't have to.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

Plus it's fun whipping out an iPad

Oh god, I thought I would never need one, don't even hint at the fact I might have a legitimate use for it.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

The only things I can think of is chew gum to keep from grinding my teeth, or make a conscious effort to keep my teeth separated. I guess I should just continue guzzling water but I'm afraid of drinking too much. Hopefully if I can keep from grinding my teeth, stay hydrated and properly fed, lower my dosage and start taking multivitamins, I should see some difference, right? Right?

Sorry, I didn't read your entire post because I don't have the power to concentrate that much, but I did see your complaints of side effects. As for chewing gum, I don't last very long without a pack of gum these days. It's 100% neccesary to keep my mouth from being completely dry, and it's just the nature of the medication. As for the teeth grinding, gum will help. That one goes away, at least for me it did, but it really helped to have something to just gnaw on for an extended period of time.

For the other side effects, you really just need to adjust to the medication, though I didn't have headaches, and you should talk to your doctor about that because I don't know how normal that is. For appetite, jaw clenching, and unquenchable thirst, it'll get better. The dry mouth didn't get better for me, but I know gum fixes the issue, so whatever.

For appetite, I wouldn't worry too much if you're getting at least one big meal in. Always, ALWAYS take your meds with food. If you don't it fucks with your stomach for one, and two it will just give you those side effects but extra hardcore with that jittery amphetamine feeling. As a plus, when you need to take your medication you will know when to eat.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

Aculard posted:

Finding a job is still pretty hard for me. I'm still pretty low in self esteem about my work ethic and how I'll hold down a job like cashier for at least 28 weeks. I've had so many jobs and the longest lasting one was 5 months, so it's justified in a way...but still. I'm afraid I just won't go into work once I get it because I wanted to sleep a little extra or the anxiety of a 5 hour shift standing around doing cash work gets to me.

I'm right there with you man. My longest job lasted a year, and that's when I was in high school at best buy. I don't know how I managed to last taht long there, but I think it was because I went to work after school most days, so I was already out of the house. Plus I wasn't stressed out about nearly as much because I had zero responsibility. My job was to pay for gas money and whatever other stupid poo poo I wanted to spend money on.

Now I got a really good job, but I've only been there for a month and a half and I'm constantly expecting my world to just shatter and get fired for some dumb poo poo I've gotten fired for a million times. That being said, I'm pushing that thought out of the back of my head constantly because it's just a self-fulfilling prophecy. I don't care about the drudgery of my job, for once in my life, because adderall takes care of the "constant struggle" feeling. I had to get good a couple of things before adderall could take care of the rest:

1. Always wake up early enough. I tend to wake up 1-2 hours earlier than I need to for poo poo because I know there's always the chance it will take me 45 minutes to get out of bed.
2. Alarm clock is no-loving-where near my bed. I absolutely have to get out of bed to turn it off, and it's just very slightly too loud.
3. I have a routine once I wake up so I don't have to think or get anxious. I am starting to procrastinate but I think I got an idea how to deal with that.
4. Minimum level of organization. It's way too easy to just let your living area get ridiculously messy. When I notice things are messy at the very least I'll put poo poo back where it goes, throw out the various pieces of trash, and get everything off the floor, even if it means just moving it to a tidy pile of similar things on a chair. Clutter in your living area makes you cluttered in your brain. It's so easy to eliminate some of that constant noise by maintaining a minimum level of tidiness. I do this at most every week, but it's been turning into low-effort maintenance every day so I never have to make it an ordeal.

Lastly, you absolutely have to want to deal with the ADHD issues. Speaking from experience, all those issues we have getting poo poo done do get easier to manage over time, but it will be a struggle, it will feel hopeless, but you just gotta keep plugging away and don't even cut yourself an inch of slack.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009
To be fair, I started on 5mg doses (twice a day) for the first 2 days, then 10mg for the next three, then 15 for a few more days. I noticed hardcore side effects my first few weeks and I was taking less than half your dose for the first 4 days of it. If you're experiencing side effects that become debilitating don't just try to man through them, take less if you don't feel comfortable, and if that doesn't work call your doctor. Your medication is going to help you, yes, but not everybody responds to the first medication they try perfectly, which is where there's like 5 different pills that are all very commonly prescribed.

I remember Qu Appelle talking about how she couldn't handle a certain medication, had her doctor switch her and the side effects went away almost immediately and said she felt amazing. If taking less/trying to outlast the initial side effects doesn't work, cut yourself some slack and go back to your doc.

As for eating, force yourself to eat something relatively big for one meal. I usually get a sandwich during lunch because it's quick and tasty enough to really want to finish the whole thing, even if I'm not feeling particularly hungry. There are some days where I just don't need to eat very much, (like today: bowl of cereal, muffin, 2 small tacos, and a bowl of greenbeans, alltogether maybe 1200 calories, and my caloric need is a little over than a thousand more) but I've been getting my appetite back slowly but surely, to a point where I will feel hungry on my own around 1-2pm, and I will want to go eat.

It's not the end of the world if you don't feel particularly hungry one day, but please use your dome and get your doctor involved if you are consistently debilitated by side effects.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

They were initially opposed to be doing it because my little sister got tested and ended up selling them all (as well as most of her - and our - belongings) to buy harder drugs. She's a complete fuckup and they think it's going to happen to me as well.

Dad told me if I'd stop playing so many of those drat video games maybe I'd do better. Mom was concerned about addiction and my personality changing. My brother-in-law basically just laughed and ridiculed me. My gf was concerned about like my mother was, but she's a lot more supportive.

I've mentioned this before, but when people are unsupportive you essentially need to gently caress off. We have to deal with misconceptions about ADHD every single time it comes up, so why should we put up with bullshit from the people who are supposed to love us. Telling somebody who has ADHD that they only need to try harder, or stop playing video games is excactly like telling somebody with major depression they just need to cheer up. I mean, sure, people with depression do need to cheer up, but it's not like they can just start thinking happy and everything is better; they have a chemical imbalance that needs to be corrected, usually through medication, and only then will they have the tools to feel better.

It's exactly the same for ADHD, but nobody takes us seriously because our symptoms are not obvious. They can't see the constant pain, frustration, anxiety, and general mental anguish that comes from not only ADHD itself, but from the people who think we're the boy crying wolf. I don't let people drag me down anymore, however, and if somebody tries to tell me how I should really deal with my ADHD without having to take "drugs," I thank them for their professional medical opinion, and either stop talking to them or change the subject.

What kills me is reading this topic, and knowing from my own personal experience, there are thousands of kids out there who are just constantly in a state of frustration and feel like they're broken, when in fact their brains are just wired differently. I wish I had a way to go raise awareness about it, but I got plenty of time in life to hopefully make that happen, but gotta keep working on keeping my own act together.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

Hamburglar posted:

Is ADHD/ADD linked to depression/anxiety?

I ask this because I have been on Adderall for 2 years now. However, I started anti-depressants at the same time. So it's hard to figure out what's doing what, but I can easily say thanks to the meds I am way, way less depressed and anxious than I used to be. I was a D student in high school; in college I have a 3.95 GPA after 95 credits or so.

I know I have ADHD for a fact, but now I'm wondering if I don't suffer from chemical depression because of a stupid experiment I tried last month. Last month I tossed my Adderall in the garbage (stupid, I know) because I became convinced I was addicted to it. School was out, so I figured the worst that would happen is I need some more coffee at work. Holy poo poo what a bad idea. I was napping all the loving time (and I *never* take naps) and would actually sleep for like 14 hours on weekends (when I'd never sleep more than 8). I was incredibly depressed (which is a side-effect of the moronic cold-turkey thing I did) but figured that would subside. It never did.

I was depressed the entire month. Eventually the need to sleep all loving day was gone, but the depression was near-crippling. Last week I started back up the Adderall and *BAM* depression gone. Is there any link? I just chalked it up to Adderall making you feel high than anything else. But this thread got me thinking!

Well there's the obvious withdrawal effects, and if you were taking a stimulant for 2 years and you stop cold turkey of course you're going to have side effects. People who drink tons of caffeine aren't even supposed to stop cold turkey, and instead are advised to ease off because they can have side effects persist for months. If you're worried you're addicted to your medication, talk to your doctor. If you want to stop the medicaiton, talk to your doctor.

This goes for everybody else in the thread too, because we're all victims of misinformation of our own medication. If you think there is an issue with the medication, or you want to stop, or you want to switch, TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR FIRST. While our medication is very helpful, it is a highly controlled substance for a reason, and though we are very experienced with how it works, we don't know a lot of the medical science behind what it does to our bodies.

That being said, there it is very common for people with ADHD to have other mental disorders, especially depression and anxiety. However, a month off adderall isn't nearly long enough to say with certainty if the symptoms you were experiencing were as a result of ongoing depression, or still from the withdrawal.

While we're on the topic, I don't remember where I heard this, but people who see positive results from medication for psychological disorders tend to stop taking their medication after relatively long term use. I guess the theory is is that they want to see if the medication is still working, because they don't have the contrasting feeling of not being on medication fresh in their memory. They don't take their pill(s) for a few days, and pretty soon that turns into not taking their medication altogether and they're back at square one. This is not to say that this is what you did, but it's something to be aware of.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009
I wrote up a long rant about the stupid bullshit people pulled on me, but I realized it was just a 'poor me' post and am working on staying positive. Gist of it is that I had plans as of 2 weeks ago to stay at a friend's place while getting out of LA for a few days. Was explicitly stated that we were going to hang out, but when I talked to her tonight about it she brought up that other friends had just told her they'd be staying at her place. Um. She didn't ask me or anything, and got really indignant when she asked me if she should cancel. Yes you should loving cancel, I don't want to have to be around people I don't know to hang out with you, and then have to sleep in the same room as them, but worst of all, you didn't even ask me!

Then my sister, who is starting college in the same city, didn't know what her schedule was like this weekend, even though she's had two loving weeks to figure it out and tell me. So when I ask her if she's available tomorrow night when I get in after driving 6 hours, she's like "ionno" and then tries to lie to me, like she didn't gently caress up, about her availability. I don't want a loving excuse, I just want you to tell me "yeah I hosed up but I promise to tell you as soon as I figure it out." I bring this up because I'm finally starting to understand this. I thought for years I had to explain why I was a few minutes late to poo poo, or why I couldn't do my homework. Just be frank and don't make promises you can't follow through on trying to make things better, should you need to remedy the situation.

Anyway.

Jesus loving christ, I was so loving furious, and I was about ready to not go at all. Then I started looking at motel rooms, because I thought it was going to cost me $150-200 to stay the weekend, and it's not that bad. I'd have to get a kind of lovely room, but that's good reason to not sit around the room the entire time.

The reason I was furious is I have been busting my rear end all week to get ready for this trip, and have been working 10-12 hour days on top of running errands whenever possible (lunches, after work, before work) just so I could leave friday at 2pm and try to avoid most of the traffic getting out of LA. On top of that I started 30mg adderall 2x a day this week, because 20mg was just making me sleepy, and I've been getting used to it but for the most part it adds a pretty hardcore 'frazzled' feeling. It's getting better, but there were a couple of days, namely yesterday, where I was just on edge all loving day trying to stay calm while my coworkers bickered and yelled over the stupidest poo poo.

Just pissed me off that I put so much effort into the whole thing, and for once am well prepared in advanced, and the people who have to put in the absolute minimum to pull this whole thing together just act like they don't give a poo poo. In the case of my friend, she didn't even have to do anything. In fact she just had to do nothing and wait for me to show up, but she hosed that up!

Then I realized, oh hey, I used to do poo poo like that too. Then I thought, gently caress it, I rely on having friends to go do poo poo too much, so I'm going in spite of this bullshit, and I will have a good loving time in spite of their complete selfishness and inconsideration for others. Even if I do not see my sister a single time, I don't care. I'm getting the gently caress out of LA because gently caress this city.

Edit: Welp, looks like Kayak lowballed me rooms hardcore, and most of the places don't even have rooms available that are within reasonable price. Thanks flakey bitch for loving over my weekend.

TheGopher fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Sep 17, 2010

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009
I would give everybody that posts in this thread a big hug because we all know exactly the bullshit everybody else has to deal with on a daily basis, but the logistics are... difficult. What's actually surprising is when I'm having trouble dealing with bullshit at work or at home, I think about a lot of you guys in here and know that I'm not alone with the daily struggles, and it's very therapeutic. Love ya'll.

On the note of Delivered from Distraction, I started reading off questions from the checklist to a friend who mentioned all her doctors keep telling her she has ADHD, and when I got to the question "Are you chuckling to yourself as you answer these questions?" she started cracking up and I knew. I bought her a copy of the book and it should get delivered this week, let's just hope that I can do some vicarious living and change somebody else's life for the better.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

Anyways, point I'm trying to make is that anyone reading this that is struggling academically or just in their personal lives, and feels they may suffer from ADHD should definitely get tested. Now. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. The sooner you get tested, the sooner you can begin working on your problems. You'll be so much happier you did.

This is exactly how I feel, and what most everybody else has been saying in this thread. The reason we keep saying this over and over is because we felt like we were "broken" for so long. All the pieces were there, we just couldn't keep them together, and at the suggestions of other people we attributed our failures to ourselves personally.

More than anything else that has come as a result of being on medication successfully, is that I feel liberated, like I'm able to take the first real deep breath of my life and be at ease.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

:hfive:

I am happy, really truly happy, for the first time in probably fifteen years. I'm only ~2 months into medication and I know there's a large pile of stuff that I need to address that has been hosed up for so long - however now that I know the cause of it all, I'm actively making things better. And it's sticking. Even before the medication, just getting the diagnosis was a HUGE huge huge step - it was incredibly liberating to have my suspicions confirmed.

The doctor commented to me last week that I looked like a whole new person, but I had to adjust her statement. I'm still me, but it's like I'm going through another childhood/adolescence. I'm relearning how to function, how to interact, what makes me tick, and I'm loving it this time around. And even when I do have a "bad" day, it doesn't even begin to approach how lovely I felt before - because now I understand (and have felt consistently) a level of "awesome" that was completely unthinkable before.

This is exactly what it's like for me. When I had a bad day, it would ruin my week. When I had a bad week, well you get the picture. It's funny you bring up a second childhood/adolescence, because I was just thinking last night that since I started taking medication and dealing with my ADHD it's been like my "real" passage into adulthood. I mean, before I was able to be an adult, but now I feel like I can take things more seriously, and as a result other people take me more seriously. I too feel consistently "awesome" and don't need to just fake not feeling like poo poo for other people everyday.

:hfive:

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

volts5000 posted:

Wow! Everybody lost interest in the ADD thread. How appropriate. :)

I was going to make this post yesterday but then, you know, something else came up.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

Thanks so much for that link. I'm "coming out" to my family this weekend - and despite all the research I've done and information I've put together, I highly suspect that a few of them will be reluctant to accept what I have to say, if not downright oppositional. This will be the icing on my "read this, goddamnit" cake.

Pretty typical ADHD to be so opposed to having it. As far as most people who suffer with ADHD understand, most poo poo is really difficult to do but you just learn to struggle through it anyway. So when they hear somebody is having difficulties with attention, what they're really thinking, "Well I have attention issues too, just like everybody else and I don't have ADHD!" They're just caught in a bad spot, especially since getting diagnosed with ADHD would mean obviously their only treatment option is to take a drug, speed, which causes so many problems and is destroying america.

You get the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009
Have a list to refer to when you go into the doctor, but don't go LOOK I FOUND ALL OF THESE ON THE INTERNET. Speak from your experiences and be sincere and use whatever notes you bring to remind yourself of things you may forget otherwise, but ADHD isn't something you can always just go over a checklist and if you score high enough you definitely have it. Granted, if you experience a lot of ADHD-like symptoms, you probably have ADHD, but bipolar disorder and OCD tend to have similar symptoms at times, the major difference being the severity of specific behaviors/symptoms. If you have report cards from when you were younger that helps, because in order to have ADHD you absolutely must have had it as a child. There is no such thing as adult onset ADHD, only ADHD that persists into adulthood.

I have a high frequency hearing loss I was born with. I have trouble listening to people at times, but in terms of focusing on what they're saying it's gotten better with medication.