Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
I have a question for you guys with ADHD.

My wife has recently been diagnosed with ADHD by her psychiatrist, and it seems to explain a lot of the difficulties she has had for as long as I've known her. Her mind races a million miles a minute from subject to subject, she can't concentrate on mundane tasks, she is absolutely immune to routines, and she has a sort of brain vomit where she sometimes can't control what she says even if she knows it's stupid. The whole thing has made life pretty frustrating and depressing for her, and she regularly breaks down in tears at work, believing she is broken and worthless since her productivity is way down from what it could be if she concentrated.

She comes home most days extremely upset at herself and depressed at her situation.

She can't enjoy activities she would like to do unless the stars align and she gets her hyper-focus on.

I feel so helpless. I feel like I should be able to do something to help her, but nothing I say can fix what is wrong.

She has an appointment with an MD today to see if she can get a working diagnosis and perhaps medication to relieve the symptoms, but is there anything I can do to help her in the meantime? I try to be understanding, but I can't comprehend what she is going through.

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU