Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.
Hello thread! I've been lurking for a while -- since I realized I actually did fit the diagnosis -- and yesterday I got a 'script for Strattera. I can't get stimulants because I'm on birth control (for mood control -- pms is a motherfucker combined with everything else I have. having only 4 periods a year is fabulous tho), so.

I haven't picked it up yet because I need a ride to the pharmacy :geno:

...and if I'm real lucky, I'll even get to start gym poo poo soon, wouldn't that be something? Because I live in the deep south now, and so I can't do any kind of exertion outside without courting heart stroke.

(I would be very excited if A Lifetime Of Experience hadn't beaten 'excitement' into 'nervous apprehension' because since when do I get to be able to do things)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.
I can't run (shin splints) and it's not safe to bike here, much less during poor visibility. :geno:

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Beastyfella posted:

Use a foam roller, do calf raises, etc. They should go away soon.
What's wrong with just going to the gym? :/
...and who is "they"? If you mean the hot weather, that's not going away until, like, October, and I'm not going to avoid cardio (which is specifically what I need, for unrelated reasons) for 75% of the year.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

I've been in therapy without a lot of success, unfortunately. My biggest problem is that I have, for lack of a better word, intrusive memories where I'll abruptly remember or be reminded of something I hosed up 5 years ago (from something actually significant to something as simple as 'saying the wrong thing to someone and them being upset') and instantly burst into tears and have a hard time recovering from it.

It never really goes away no matter how many times I rehash the memory or try to interrupt the response with my therapist (there's really no interrupting it though, it's abrupt, in the middle of me being happy and distracted, and equals zero to 100 tears), so I've always wondered if it's an ADHD Thing or just some other thing wrong with me.
oh my god same :(

strattera update: I used my New Stimulant Honeymoon to clean the house! It also nuked my anxiety! I had a whole several days without anxiety! that's the longest I've gone without anxiety since, uh... 2006, when I first went on paroxetine
It's been creeping back in since then, but overall it still feels like easy mode.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

knox_harrington posted:

Having looked up the study it's for a drug with a lower abuse potential than stimulant drugs. That may be fine but a) stimulant drugs work and are around the most effective of any treatment for any disorder; and b) I worry a bit that this will get in the way of some people getting the best possible treatment because "stims bad".
I would like some additional non-stim options because I can't take stimulants :(

med interactions suck

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.
Wow, good thing mine doesn't--

gently caress

that might explain some things.

also that line in the second pic, about how vitamins are often better absorbed while asleep, is that a thing? It would be more convenient to take my magnesium at bedtime, when I'm less likely to have taken tylenol/aspirin. Man, I didn't even think of that angle before. Thanks, your post was way more helpful than I anticipated when I started this post :B

...unrelatedly, I wanted to see what site that pdf you linked was from, so I retrieved the url out of the mess that tumblr makes out of links, went to the root and was greeted by a beautiful photograph, which Page Info revealed was a stock image being stored in large size, unedited and without watermarks. hell yea, mine now :clint:

Ayin fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 13, 2020

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.
Thanks YggiDee, I certainly understand the research rabbit-hole :)

I'm kinda concerned about this part--

quote:

If they are present in the small bowel at the same time
-- I'm on an extended-release formula, does that mean I shouldn't have *any* soda for the duration (8 hours)? :ohdear:

Oh well. I guess I'll just have to be judicious about choosing my drinks vs optimal focus.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.
Hey, remember when a bunch of us found out that citric acid negatively affects our stimulants??

I've always gotten conflicting information on whether or not (or what kind) Strattera is a stimulant, so I figured, why not try the experiment on that too

you see, I was taking my non-adderall meds with soda, because I can leave a bottle on my nightstand and it won't get spilled by clumsy cats

the difference was night and day

So yeah, uh, watch out for that

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Laserface posted:

did you know that you can fill that same bottle with water instead of getting type II diabetes
1. my usual soda is decaff diet pepsi so :shrug:

2. you're really not supposed to reuse those soda bottles

3. my husband is on a crusade against me leaving water sitting around for long periods of time. something about it encouraging bacterial growth on the container

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.
Why do you care about the chemicals I choose to ingest and not the way they interact

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Laserface posted:

some people can successfully manage ADHD with diet. not everyone can, but its a great place to start. Medication is the (easy) answer for most people but a good diet can, as mentioned, manage symptoms and as you notice and we are discussing, change the way medication works.
That makes sense.

Just saying "don't eat/drink that you idiot" without saying why* is a red flag that the poster is coming from an ideological position that may or may not reflect reality (much less whether it would have any relevance for my own situation, like the diabetes crack when I hardly ever drink sugar soda, or assuming I drink a *lot* of soda when I have already said in-thread that I don't.)
It also ignores the fact that most things are fine in small quantities and it's just the large quantities one may or may not need to be careful of. I don't go around telling people "Wow, don't drink citrus juice/soda while on meds!" because that's an absurd overgeneralization of my own experience (that seemingly any amount of citric acid appears to totally nullify stimulants for me).

* beyond overused generalizations and questionable statements like "you'll get diabetes" or "aspartame is poison"...

Quorum posted:

Because dietary science is a deeply fraught battleground littered with generations of almost entirely industry-funded studies purporting to demonstrate that the competition's product causes obesity or cancer, I think.
Also this.

Yes I edited this way too much, deal with it

Ayin fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 4, 2021

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Laserface posted:

Sorry Ayin! you do you.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.
Yeah, I started using a pill calendar shortly after I got my first prescription (so, when I was 20).

durrneez posted:

I’ve occasionally still forgotten and then it becomes a scene from Momento: this setting and these motions don’t feel familiar… my pill bottle is behind the lotion and my hands are dry… so I probably didn’t take my pills yet?
I *always* forget that other people aren't like this and then get annoyed when they don't notice things like that

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

TheJadedOne posted:

drinking acidic juices like orange or grapefruit can affect the absorption of adderall. Just had that talk with my psych yesterday.
Soda will too, so watch out!

This also applies to Strattera, a fact that has yet to permeate the internet

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Head Bee Guy posted:

I’ve needed to become a lot more self-directed at work lately, and naturally it’s been a bit of a struggle. Even if I can hyperfocus for a few hours at a time, I have trouble extending that over a period of weeks. I’ve been on stimulant meds for about 15 years, and they definitely help me maintain a base level of functionality. But Im looking for some alternatives, because stimulants don’t do it all.

I recently heard about clonodine being used for adhd. Anyone have experiences with it?

I’ve tried co-dosing my daily 5-10mg of dexedrine with 40mg of straterra, but I can’t tell if it does anything.
I don't know anything about the first one, but as for Strattera, I've never known it to affect my focus directly, but it does great things for my baseline anxiety level 😅

In my experience, strattera is extremely sensitive to the presence of citric acid in the intestine (maybe stomach also). So perhaps also check if you're eating or drinking anything containing that alongside your pill time (you're probably doing that anyway because of the bigger stimulant, but I gotta be sure! nothing ever mentions that it hits strattera too! and I find the QoL hit is way worse, too, like it makes me super irritable all day instead of just not working)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Head Bee Guy posted:

Do you want more basic stomach contents for straterra? I normally have a couple cups of coffee and some yogurt + granola for breakfast

Idk about base vs acid in general, but the effect is stark enough in my own experience that I'm pretty sure that I've identified the culprit correctly. There aren't too many differing ingredients between decaff diet Dr Pepper and decaff diet Pepsi, except for citric acid I think the only possibility is in the unspecified "Natural Flavors"

Arcsech posted:

I don’t find that citric acid impacts the effectiveness of Strattera but I do find the more I eat with it the less likely it is to make me nauseous.
I take mine with my breakfast out of habit (along with the rest of my meds, except for topamax because it's a hater that will also gently caress with strattera in the same way as citric acid or at least that's what it feels like :zombie:), so I don't actually know if I rolled the nausea side-effect too.