Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Welp, got an official ADD diagnosis. I’ve suspected for about a year or so, but wasn’t sure what I should do. A story about my dad showing obvious symptoms pushed me over to get checked out. My family filled out some questionnaires, as well. Scored about as high S you can on all the categories. I have a medication appointment for next week. I feel vindicated. Obviously I have internalized some “initially promising, now a fuckup” messaging. I also wish someone had caught it earlier as it’s hard to bot imagine all the wasted time. Regardless, I’m glad to have some answers in-hand moving forward.

As far as process goes, I went to a behavioral health clinic. Copay sucked, and they ran two extra tests that were in the hundreds of dollars range. Just be aware and ask questions before you sign anything if you’re State side. I could have gotten meds prescribed through a cheap psych visit, but their front office was bad and I don’t trust them to be able to keep up on a monthly medication renewal. Other than that and a couple weeks to twiddle my thumbs, it was easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Lemony posted:

I feel like this is a pretty universal response when getting diagnosed as an adult. I know it was for both my spouse and I. Personally, I find it difficult to get past that mindset of just being intrinsically unable to carry through on stuff, even now that I have a better idea of what exactly is going on.

Yeah seems so as expressed in this thread and some friends I have with similar issues. Tons of risk aversion. Not sure how to get past that for myself other than starting with small stuff like making breakfast.

As far as a meds update goes, it works. I'm on the Ritalin side of things. I've tried strattera before, but it just made me sweat. My current prescription is night and day. It's like living next to an interstate, then moving out to the country. So if you're a lurking ADHD goon and you are even wondering a little, go get checked out. Super worth it. Obviously, my associated problems haven't been solved in a week, but I've got tools and understanding to make changes.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Yeah I basically only stopped a 70-80 work week, 24 hours a day on call , called out 3 ish nights a week 2 out of 3 weekends on, like a month before the pandemic started. High meaning too, keep people from dying and keep the high consequence hazardous from exploding type work on ships from everywhere.

Getting older has helped.

This, but beneath low meaning. Unmeaning. Meaning destruction. Meds are good, do meds.

Langolas posted:

kids don't know what that normal 'focused/ontask' behavior is like most of the time. Being medicated helps them learn it and then you can work on behavioral items from there.

I'm currently learning this and working on building habits. Success in the small stuff helps suppress fantasies about strangling former educators.

Langolas posted:

EVERYONE on my dad's side is a hunter/fisher of some sort.

I am this, as was my father who was also ADHD though unfortunately died undiagnosed. But imo it could be anything requiring a big knowledge base, continuous improvement and lots of movement. I'm curious about documented examples of functioning ND people pre-industrial revolution, if there are any. I've heard about eccentric livestock people hypothesized to be on the spectrum, but I'm not sure if I buy it. Regardless, cutting down my screen time, cutting down information intake and trying to carve out some quiet has always helped me. Now that I have meds, I suddenly have discipline.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

CCKeane posted:

I was diagnosed as a kid, and my parents generally made me feel really bad about myself for taking Ritalin and concerta and stuff, so when I was able to I stopped because I felt really ashamed.

So now it's around 15 years later and I am working through my feelings and trying again. I got a prescription for concerta and I tried and I don't feel any different? I'm still having a lot of trouble staying on track at work and, especially, finishing small tasks that I should do right away but can't manage.

Is this a normal part of the process? How long does it take for stuff to start working?

My prescriber told me Focalin/dexmethylphenidate works within the hour, which I found to be true. Sometimes can take two weeks for full effect like Tias said. Considering your parents’ level of care, stick to it, try to be gentle with yourself and be open with your provider to find the best option if Concerta/methylphenidate doesn’t help. Personally, meds changed my life but I’m having to work HARD against ingrained habits and fear of starting stuff. Been on them about two and a half months.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

That’s heavy, Lincoln. Internalized shame is inevitable because unless you get lucky, we are socialized to believe in a fundamental responsibility for that which we can’t or have trouble controlling. Mental health issues are brutal, let alone one those that frustrate the Great Myth of work ethic. The constantly fizzling success feels intimately familiar to me. Social media likes to portray ADHD as a superpower, but it crippled my ability and made my life objectively worse before I got help.

I found this talk yesterday, and I resonate with almost all of it. Perhaps you can find some comfort in being aptly described. The presenter describes the anatomical and chemical deficiencies which cause the symptoms we experience. ESPECIALLY the inability to string a series if tasks together into a larger plan.

Highly recommend watching at 2x speed, of course.

https://youtu.be/GyZtYzFq4WY

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Specifically for breakfast, I make breakfast indulgent. Typically eggs fried/scrambled/etc. in a TB of butter every morning, sometimes in a tortilla with salsa, sometimes with cheese and a toasted English muffin. Been doing chorizo lately…it’s good.

I also buy the foods I want so when it’s time to eat I have foods I enjoy around. From chicken nuggets and ice cream to raw ingredients. Snacks I like, as well. Money and time make this harder/easier.

Unfortunately, I think some people’s hunger just gets hosed by stims. It’s part of the balance between brain function, sleep, anxiety and food intake that providers try to balance. Lowering the dose can help bring hunger back.

Relatedly, and not necessarily for OP, my dietician friend recommended “Intuitive Eating” and it’s super good. Two dietitians on eating habits, issues with dieting, and a lot more in a wonderfully gentle and affirming package. Lots of research, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Idk about dry mouth, but otherwise don’t put too much pressure on yourself to suddenly be perfect. Not much to do but see if it helps and figure out what to do or not do with more executive function.