Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

AtomikKrab posted:

As a question I'd like to ask. Do any of you all experience daytime sleepiness? IE: Not tired, but not doing anything or moving and just... sorta pass out and can't stop it? I would like to get other people's takes on it.

I used to get it while driving but that stopped once I figured out I have sleep apnea (hooray hosed up airways.) and got that treated so I actually get rest now.

I still get it during work meetings when nothing interesting is happening. Luckily I work in mental healthcare as my primary job so that my co-workers are understanding. However even though I'm basically asleep and my eyes are closed, I can still answer questions if asked and fully remember the conversation during the meeting.

I will note I do not currently take medications due to getting severe side effects.

Huh, that's interesting. I used to pass out in class in high school and university. It would happen even when I was interested in the lecture topic and when I wasn't feeling particularly tired. I'd be able to wake up and be at 100% basically instantly when there was stimuli, such as someone saying my name. When that would happen I would generally remember the last minute or two prior to waking.

I always blamed poor sleep habits and probable low blood sugar from not eating lunch. Now that I've been diagnosed with ADHD, that might be an alternate explanation.
I also now suspect that the undiagnosed ADHD caused my poor sleep habits. I hated lying in bed staring at the ceiling with my brain racing through anxiety states. So I got in the habit of staying awake until I was tired enough to sleep as soon as my head hit the pillow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

taiyoko posted:

Now, to be fair, I'm not yet officially diagnosed because I don't get have insurance from my job due to a 90-day waiting period.

But for me, it started with me reblogging a bunch of ADHD memes on Tumblr with like, "big mood". But I only really seriously started to look more into it and talk to my primary care doc when I started my current job doing data entry. I would come home every night in like, a brain overload fog from spending my day focusing on accurately inputting item numbers and such that could just be strings of numbers, but also could look like "CH3DX4T", on top of having to tune out co-worker chatter without the ability to use headphones.

Ironically, I tried Wellbutrin back in college, but because my depression was so bad at the time, I only noticed that it didn't help the depression - I didn't realize it was helping my focus.

Oh hey, a job that sounds like literal hell for my brain!

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

At one point about six months after starting my medication, I was trying to articulate to my doctor how things were going. I landed on something close to "I can't really fully explain how I do or do not feel different while I'm taking these, I just know I do. What I can tell you is that if I think about not taking them anymore I get scared."

This was apparently an acceptable answer.

To be fair, if I forget to take my dose in the morning (which fortunately isn't often) I end up halfway into the afternoon wondering why I feel so poo poo and discombobulated. :iiam:

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

I've been thinking recently about how many unconscious coping mechanisms I developed growing up, some healthier than others.

For instance, I was realizing that so many ways I've developed of managing things in my life involves removing as many impediments as possible, regardless of how small. That way, if my brain suddenly flips the switch that makes me think I could do dishes right now, I can just do them. If there's anything I'd have to do first, even really minor things, it creates a false barrier for my brain and I often just wouldn't do the thing. Basically, having to take advantage of my impulsivity to actually start something before my brain changes tack again. Once I started I would generally be fine, because I'd focus in and finish the thing to the exclusion of all else, so long as it wasn't really turning my brain off.

Things are a bit better with the medication, though not perfect. Might try to ask my doctor to test a higher dosage and see what happens.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

poo poo, don't doxx me like that.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I feel vindicated. Obviously I have internalized some “initially promising, now a fuckup” messaging. I also wish someone had caught it earlier as it’s hard to bot imagine all the wasted time. Regardless, I’m glad to have some answers in-hand moving forward.

I feel like this is a pretty universal response when getting diagnosed as an adult. I know it was for both my spouse and I. Personally, I find it difficult to get past that mindset of just being intrinsically unable to carry through on stuff, even now that I have a better idea of what exactly is going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

I just want to take a moment to say gently caress you RSD. You suuuuuck.

I'd applied for a job (a whole fun ADHD thing in itself, looking at you cover letters), was a bit of a long shot since I was missing some of the required experience. I think I had some solid equivalency arguments and felt semi confident about at least getting an interview. Obviously, from the above, got a rejection letter this morning.

It's stupid, the rejection letter is very polite and was clearly written by someone who actually read the application, since it referenced some positive points they had. But, of course, my brain decides to focus on the bit where they said that they actually had a bunch of competitive applications and I was currently lacking some of the experience they were looking for. I've never even met this person and my brain decides to feel embarrassed, like I've made an idiot of myself for even bothering them with my application and they're just looking at it going "why did this unqualified rando decide to apply?"

This wasn't even some sort of dream job that I wanted to stay in forever, just a decent looking position at a decent looking organization. It feels so dumb that I can't just be kind of disappointed it didn't work out and move on. You know, took a gamble and it didn't pan out, c'est la vie. Instead I have to fixate on it and feel distracted all day.