Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I was diagnosed with ADHD (minus the H) when I was in sixth grade and have taken various stimulants like methylphenidate and dexedrine since. I have found that pot helps with the non-cognitive effects of my ADHD, like the restless feeling that manifests from not being able to sit down and loving enjoy something. However, it wrecks my concentration and memory while Im on it. I am going to start practicing mindfulness exercises, but what are some other non-chemical ways I can help train my brain to not crave instant gratification? Movies can be a bit challanging to finish and almost everytime I will get the urge to do something else during it. Books are even worse for that. It is near impossible for me to do one singular task, even if it isnt monotonous and menial, for an extended time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Has anybody with non hyperactive ADHD found good solutions to the bored, restless feeling? I can sit still fine, but my mind can't. Multiple times during a movie I'll want to do something else. Other times, I won't be able to find anything that entertains me and I have this gnawing boredom. I have been prescribed various stimulants for add and it has been pretty effective but this gnawing boredom isn't fully eradicated by speed

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Authentic You posted:

I get that feeling of being desperately bored quite frequently. I'll be dicking around on the computer even though it's horribly boring and the absolute last thing I want to be doing is wasting my time dicking around on the computer, all while mentally screaming at myself to stop dicking around on the computer. On the meds it happens plenty, but I'm better able to snap out of it and actually go do an actual thing I want to do.

When I get in those funks and don't know what to do, I try to either do housekeeping (because at least I'm DOING something!) or leaving the house for an adventure collecting shiny pebbles or to seek out The Most Beautiful Perfect Leaf or something silly. Getting out of your immediate environment for a while is a good way to clear your head. Or, if you're in a place (like a theater) where you can't just up and wander around or go do something else, I just let myself disengage and daydream, because trying to stay engaged when I'm in a mentally restless state just makes my eventual patience level cliff-drop happen sooner, after which I get pissy and irate and probably needlessly stressed out too.

I'm glad we have similar experiences, well not glad because it sucks rear end, but it still helps. Going outside and on adventures is always fun, but that thought either doesnt come to me when I'm bored or sometimes Ill just feel too lazy or tired to do it.

And to the previous poster, it happens at theaters, computers, tvs, etc.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I’ve needed to become a lot more self-directed at work lately, and naturally it’s been a bit of a struggle. Even if I can hyperfocus for a few hours at a time, I have trouble extending that over a period of weeks. I’ve been on stimulant meds for about 15 years, and they definitely help me maintain a base level of functionality. But Im looking for some alternatives, because stimulants don’t do it all.

I recently heard about clonodine being used for adhd. Anyone have experiences with it?

I’ve tried co-dosing my daily 5-10mg of dexedrine with 40mg of straterra, but I can’t tell if it does anything.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Ayin posted:

I don't know anything about the first one, but as for Strattera, I've never known it to affect my focus directly, but it does great things for my baseline anxiety level 😅

In my experience, strattera is extremely sensitive to the presence of citric acid in the intestine (maybe stomach also). So perhaps also check if you're eating or drinking anything containing that alongside your pill time (you're probably doing that anyway because of the bigger stimulant, but I gotta be sure! nothing ever mentions that it hits strattera too! and I find the QoL hit is way worse, too, like it makes me super irritable all day instead of just not working)

Do you want more basic stomach contents for straterra? I normally have a couple cups of coffee and some yogurt + granola for breakfast