Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Qu Appelle posted:

Hi.

This is fantastically stupid, but here we go.

Do mangos could as a citrus fruit? Should be avoiding these because of a possible reaction? Because every morning, when I get off the bus to walk to work, I take my Dex. Then, I stop at the local Indian deli and have a mango lassi for breakfast.

If it is, this could be another way that I'm inadvertently sabotaging my meds, and thus causing mayhem.

Mango lassis are made with yoghurt, so it's probably the dairy in that that's making your dex work less. I can sympathize with you, since I went on a diet and realized that I can't have smoothies in the morning with milk/yogurt because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Chin Strap posted:

Is this true with Ritalin as well? I tried googling "Ritalin dairy" but all I got was a bunch of wackos.

Not sure, I was only on ritalin for a little while and it nearly made my heart explode. My doctor told me that I should wait for at least 1-2 hours after I take my meds to eat or drink anything other than water. It seems to be working so far, just means that I have to rearrange my work out schedule to compensate for it.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
What's a good anti-depressant to go on while being on Adderall XR? I've already tried lexapro, citalpram, wellbutrin, seroquel, effexor ummm and two others. My depression and anxiety is getting to the point where I'm going in to see a doc about how I'm feeling really suicidal (don't worry, not going to do anything stupid and off myself).

It just sucks because apparently taking the Adderall with certain ones will have really nasty or fatal side effects, and I've already tried quite a few of the expensive ones. I'm starting to think that my brain is just broken and it's going to be this lovely for the next however many decades I'm alive for. I'm also tempted to just ask the doc to start putting me on some benzos or something since I would rather be addicted to poo poo and capable of finishing school than be like this.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

prefect posted:

Talk to a psychiatrist; they know the answers to questions like this. (I've had good results with Zoloft, myself.)

Well the issue is that to see a psych here will take at least a year on the waiting list just to get a spot to open up. I'd rather go to my doctor within the next few days with an idea of what my options are instead of trying to cope with severe depression for a year +. I'll ask the doc about Zoloft then - Is Xanax and those sorts of antidepressants the same-ish?

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

prefect posted:

Nope. Xanax is a benzodiazepine and Zoloft is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI). I've never taken Xanax, but I understand it's dramatically different -- you take a Xanax and BAM you feel great for a couple of hours. (This is why you can find shady people who buy/sell Xanax for semi-recreational purposes.) With Zoloft, you have to take it for a week or two before it actually has any effects, and there's no "high" involved.

Ah okay. I guess benzos are pretty useful for the short term, but it's not going to do anything to manage anything for the rest of the school year/life like I need it to. I'll ask about Zoloft then.

signalnoise posted:

Because of my anxiety, my psychiatrist refuses to put me on stimulant medications for my ADHD. She says that they tend to exacerbate anxiety. Instead, I am on clonidine, with wellbutrin and abilify to manage my depression. Without my medications, I get bouts of suicidal thoughts. I used to need klonopin to manage my anxiety, but since I started augmenting my Wellington with abilify, I have been alright. Maybe talk to your doctor about non-stimulant ADHD meds?

I'm thinking that might be an issue too. Any type of ritalin gives me terrible chest pains, and adderall xr is the only one that doesn't make me sweat or give me the shakes. When I don't take the adderall I'm not anxious but then I get nothing done and slide back into depression over school work piling up and stuff. I'll bring that up too then.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

2508084 posted:

This explains why my adderall doubled in price. I could barely afford it before :smith:

Yeah, apparently my student plan offered by my college I paid into doesn't cover stimulants at all (mother fuckers). I either have to struggle through a job to earn enough money, or start working out 4 hours a day to wear myself out.

Qu Appelle posted:

By gum, I think we found an ADHD drug that works for me after all :toot:

Congrats! I've seen your posts throughout the thread the last year or so and it's nice to see things work out for you now.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

prefect posted:

You guys need to stop taking all the Ritalin and Adderall; I can't get either of them from any pharmacies I've tried.

Seriously, I might not be able to afford much of my adderall right now but I've had to wait half a week just for them to restock!

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Most people agree it's better than adderall. You should expect to be focused without even trying for the first week or two, followed by being able to focus when you try to in the long run.

Depends, I had a bad reaction to it despite Adderall XR being the wonderdrug for me. Might just be the fillers, or hell even my mind playing tricks on me but doesn't it take trying a few different ones to find the one that works for you?

When I was on Dex I can down super hard and would start having weird chest pains. I've had stress so bad that the muscles/whatever between my ribs started to ache bad enough that I thought it was some sort of heart attack. If you have to take the instant release, then make sure you take your second pill before the first wears off, and if possible, a lower dose if you're finding it hard to come down at 5pm and just cry all night.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
I make 10 billion lists and never get any of them done. It's gotten to the point where I'm going to sell off my laptop just so I won't be able to distract myself from all the essays that are 3 weeks late and blarhghagh.

I find writing just makes me calm down though, even if it's just grocery lists.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
I have a pretty specific question I hope someone can help me with.

I'm in college right now for like, the third time round. I don't really need to be here, but I took this course because I'd get quite a bit of student loans/bursaries that I wouldn't have to pay back and it seemed like a good idea to get some general education under my belt before getting into an art program next year. Right now, I'm behind in 2-3 classes and I'm absolutely terrified of talking to the teachers about it for two reasons. Firstly, my mother used to abuse me for not getting my schoolwork done or handed in to the point where I feel panicked if I don't have it done on the time and try to let it slide into obscurity, probably something a lot of people with Adhd feel/experienced ("you're smart! why are you being so lazy!?"). The second reason is around this time of year I get really depressed since my friend died of cancer on Christmas day years ago and it just messes me up when stores start playing the holiday music and I have to be reminded.

Is there anyway I can talk to my teachers without falling apart and just crying about it all? Two of them are sociology teachers so I'm not sure if it's just I have to state it without the emotional stuff and they'll understand or what.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Qu Appelle posted:

I have the exact same thing happen to me. In my case, for 10 years or so, my depression and ADHD would be mildly treated by Wellbutrin. When I got off of that, my doc and I decided to treat the ADHD as the first symptom, and watch for depression. Welp, with both the ADHD treated and taking supplemental Vitamin D via pill, exercise, and a full spectrum lamp, my depression is nearly gone.

Same, though I've fallen off the work out wagon because I have some portfolios to scrap together and junk food is just so much easier to munch on...

The one thing I would warn you about though is if you do go in for an ADHD assessment GenericOverusedName, don't reject the medications because they're stimulants, and don't let anyone accuse you of being an addict because you need them. As long as you don't abuse your medication you will not have many, if any, problems.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

blueblaze posted:

Came up with some questions just now. If ADD is basically a dysfunction of executive functioning then can these abilities be improved through training or exercises?

Where do you draw the line between someone who has ADD and someone who doesn't when each person will benefit from adderall as a study drug? I mean, do stimulants like adderall only improve focus for a short period of time for non-add'ers but has a more pronounced effect across all executive functions for those with ADD? The thing that's never sat right with me is how a drug like adderall can work on everyone in boosting focus so you can't even be sure if you really have ADD or not. I don't know if that makes sense.

From what I know, if someone wasn't taught language skills properly early in life then they will always have language problems no matter how much effort you put into it. I've met some people who were never taught math and honestly have issues with just the idea of how 4+6=10, no matter how many times you explain it to them (or that 30 is bigger than 3). Same with the adhd stuff.

ummm, I'm not sure if you've read the thread but taking stimulants for ADHD produces entirely different effects than people without it who take them. The stimulants are used to boost up the part of the brain which is "damaged" by ADHD so it operates on a more "normal" level. If you take a stimulant and don't have ADHD then you'll just get wired and high. Or are you asking in the way people go "well glasses make me see better but it feels like cheating since anyone could wear them to see better, so how do you know if you really have bad eyesight?"

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
Has anyone experienced extreme fatigue on the pills? I'm usually a very low energy type of person but lately, even if I take my adderall xr (25mg right now) I just sort of want to crawl back into bed and sleep. I don't even have depression and that sort of thing flaring up right now either. It's just complete tiredness. Is it something I should assume isn't part the Adhd package?

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

It could be that your dose is too low. But really, all the meds do is enable you to focus on whatever it is you feel like focusing on. So if you really, really want to go back to sleep, it's gonna help you focus on going back to sleep.

Try getting up, eating breakfast, exercising a bit (go for a run), and then take your pill.

That's what I'd try to do, but lately my legs/arms have randomly started giving out on me. I know it's not from forgetting to eat since I've probably gained 20lbs in the last week or two, so I'll just see my doctor about it this upcoming week. Hopefully it's nothing bad.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Could be the l-amph having an adverse effect on your peripheral nervous system.

I was thinking that because I stopped taking it for a few weeks and just started up again, but I've almost taken it for 2 years now with a few breaks. It'd be weird for it to pop up as a problem now, wouldn't it?

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Frog 1.0 posted:

After reading most of this thread and a few sites on Adult ADHD, I have the feeling I could be nominated as being part of the gang.

The only way I would consider taking medication is that if it means I will be able to stay focus and motivated on doing something. At 33 year old, I had rough times and even today I still have the feeling that im struggling even though I do have a good job and I have been in a relationship for the past 4 years.

I might not have ADHD but it would sadden me to realise that most of the strugle I had with life could of been avoided with being diagnosed and treated earlier.

Edit: to resume my thought, I could and will probably manage with life as it is without a diagnostic but I'm trying my best to get a better life and getting a better focus seem to be the way to go right now.

It won't hurt to try the medication. I put off getting a diagnoses and taking medication for too long, even though I'm much younger than you. If you managed to hold down a job AND a significant other for 4 years + I'd say you are doing better than most people with adhd and medication.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
If you have no reason to tell someone about the ADHD, I don't bother. I don't tell people about my sexuality, personal habits or other things like that unless it's really relevant or is related to the topic at hand. I'll tell the teacher that I have it and somedays when I don't have enough medication I won't be capable of taking too many notes, or if someone asks, otherwise nope. None of anybodies business really.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

blueblaze posted:

What I'm trying to say is, where do you draw the line between having ADHD and not ADHD?

Call my guilt misplaced but I would love for someone to give me a good, clear reason about why using stimulants aren't basically like taking steroids to win a competition.

What the hell is this? How about "when it negatively affects your life, you've been professionally diagnosed and you might be working with a professional to improve your quality of life"?

If you don't want to take the pills then don't take the pills. If you need to take the pills because you have severe enough adhd then take the loving pills. If you need an excuse to make yourself feel better for taking medication then either you need to go to therapy or you need to go back to the doctors and discuss alternative treatment. Nothing anybody else says is ever going to override your personal ethics or stance until you truly believe and accept it.

hieronymus posted:

Everyone reacts the same way to the drugs. The real problem is that doctors can't really prescribe stuff as "enhancements" rather than disease. Rather then being "take this, it'll make you think better," they have to construct it as a drug that treats an illness. I would say it's better to think of ADHD as a continuum rather than a binary "oh, he's ADHD" - too far to the left they'll give you drugs to bump you to the right.

Nice first post! You do know that the one questions they ask you during testing for adhd is if you've ever taken illegal drugs such as cocaine or meth, and did it give you a calming effect rather than tweaking you out? They also ask you how much stimulants in the form of coffee, energy drinks and caffeine pills you take regularly to function. Neato, right?

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Major Boobage posted:

Well, I'm a Canadian, but I could definitely bring up the Canadian Human Rights Act. I've been learning how to advocate for myself, and it's really opened my eyes. Someone at the Centre for Students with Disabilities was telling me that next time someone in a position of authority starts belittling me, I should call them out on it. Even though it's such common sense, it's the last thing I would think of doing in that situation. Like, I would never speak to someone that way, so why should I allow someone to treat me that way?

Woah, dude, I don't know what part of Canada you are in but if you're in Ontario that is some serious poo poo those teachers are in. You should definitely start recording the time and what the teachers are saying when they pull this poo poo. I've had a teacher spend his first class with us talking about how soldiers in Afghanistan are baby raping murderers and that he was a god among us mere mortals - He was completely serious about this, even going as far to say he was the Zeus of his subject...some lovely intro college course about critical thinking. He'd been working there for something like 20 years and was best friends with the coordinator, but the disability services I'm registered with were willing to take it to pretty much the president of the school once I told them he was berating me in class for disagreeing with him, going as far as calling me "loving retarded" "stupid" "how did you make it this far in life" when I asked if we could avoid using math symbols for certain parts (issues with math here, like everyone else). I think he spent about 10 minutes just raging at me about how I must be a barely functioning retard for not understanding his vague examples. I ended up dropping the class so I won't get my college certificate and I probably never will since he's the only one who teaches that course on both campuses, but the option was there for me to pursue if I had the time and effort.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
So, how many jobs has everyone else been fired from? I pretty much can only go 4 months at most at one before I suddenly just can't take it anymore and either quit or start messing up (not deliberately) and get fired. It's interesting to hear from my friends who hold down crap retail jobs for *years* while I struggle to even make it past the 4 month mark.

Anyone else have problems with that?

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Authentic You posted:

Ha, I started meds recently, and this is how I'm feeling. I'm still on the lowest dose (getting prior authorization from the insurance is annoying so I can't afford the higher dosages) and it made a difference the first few days, but now I'm sort of back to being scatterbrained as usual, EXCEPT I'm still generally aware of everything that's been wrong in my adult life thus far. I doubled up yesterday (psychiatrist said I could, in lieu of the higher-dose pills) and it was much better - still strung out about the general state of my life and realizing all the poo poo that I need to be doing, but actually being productive. It felt good being able to answer that strung-out feeling by getting something done.

I've noticed that on the meds, I'm constantly in a state of:

:psyduck: - Oh poo poo there's so much stuff I need to take care of how did I not notice this before?? I'll try to go do at least some of it!

Before, I'd have moments of lucidity where I'd wake up in a cold sweat or someshit and have a near anxiety attack:

:supaburn: - OH gently caress OH gently caress I've forgotten to pay the power bill for three weeks the power is gonna get shut off and all our food is going to rot gently caress! Also I just realized I forgot to do a whole project at work gently caress!

But then, not too long after that,

:downs: - Huh, I think there's something I should be concerned about... Hmm, can't think of it... Better continue on with my happy-go-lucky day of low productivity.

I'd still take being ON and aware all the time (so I can know what to take care of) than have those alternating extremes of oblivion and bouts of nasty anxiety.

I do want to take a holiday this weekend, though. So I can turn off AND to conserve meds until I get the insurance bullshit sorted out.

One thing I find helpful is making a big list of all the stuff you need to do. If you forget one or two things, you can always add it in as you remember. Usually the really important/urgent stuff goes on a whiteboard, dates go on my wall calender that hangs behind my computer screen and little things get written down on a pad of paper beside the computer.

So at the beginning of the day when I wake up and take my pill, I spend a few minutes going over it all. First with what's urgent and then what's planned for the day. Once I have a good idea of a timeline in my head for it (do x after breakfast, y after lunch and finish up z afterwards) I check the list of the "not really important things to be done" on the notepad. This is usually little things like "pick up x from the store," "tidy up x room" etc. Then those get put into the mental planner for the day wherever they fit. If I can't do them all today, they get done tomorrow.

Of course this causes problems when things happen and I can't follow my plan for the day, or I forget to do something important and end up wasting time running around, but otherwise it seems to work pretty well. You don't end up panicking as much and don't sit there thinking "oh god what else did I forget to do better rush before the meds wear off for the day!"

I find it helps to try to get it on in the morning or midday if possible, after I've taken my meds. But even then my mind can wander sometimes. And in the medicated case, I definitely fail at the cuddling. Sex? Check. Next task please.

I can't even remember to actually initiate sex. It's one of those things, like a bill, that you just forget about until you realize oh wait, sex. Yeah, I should do that today! ...or later.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Sub Rosa posted:

My entire life I'd been called lazy and told I just need to try harder.

Then I found out I have ADHD, and it isn't my fault, it is chemicals/etc in my brain.

And now I'm called lazy and told I just need to try harder.

Seriously, gently caress you, I'm saying the meds aren't giving me that ability.

The problem isn't that the meds aren't going to magically give you the ability to do everything you've ever wanted, it's just going to calm your mind and "ground" you better. You have to work through all the bad habits that you've formed over your life that you used to manage your adhd before medication, and that's probably why things aren't going as well as you hoped. It takes a lot of effort to change your lifestyle into something that works with the meds and therapy.

Your therapist also believes that adhd is a "performance" issue that shouldn't be treated with medication, and you're already asking your doctor to bump you up barely 2 months after you started trying the medication. It's really loving tough to find a medication that works and you have to try a lot of different kinds, but asking for an increase in dosage to get the high feeling people get with the initial usage is not okay. Your doctor is right to be worried that you might become dependent on it and wants to make sure you're at your right dosage. Vyanese did nothing for me but make me sweat terribly, ritalin made my heart feel like it was exploding and I had anxiety attacks everyday. Adderall XR was the only thing that works and I had to bounce between dosages from 15-35mg a day before my doctor and I found one that seems to not have any bad side effects. It took over a year to get it worked out to this level, so don't rush so much.

If you find you can't do things that have little or no reward then you need to structure your life, time and effort differently.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Sub Rosa posted:

My therapist most certainly doesn't believe that ADHD shouldn't be treated with medication, he believes that talk therapy is ineffective without appropriate medication.

I in no sense asked my Pdoc to bump up my medication because I want to be high. I never had any initial euphoria from Vyvanse, and I'm not confusing euphoria for effectiveness. I wanted my dosage increased because the duration of effectiveness was much shorter than advertised, and because I was well aware that he started me on the lowest prescribable dose, which itself was 10mg lower than what people usually are started on, with the express idea that we would start at the bottom then titrate up to find the appropriate dose. He then didn't titrate me up for my second month at all, even though I had legitimate complaints about the duration of effect.

If you are going to bother to check my post history, you shouldn't misrepresent me.

My bad, I read some of it wrong (can you tell my meds wore off at that point :P ?)

The problem is that a lot of doctors are completely out to lunch when it comes to adhd medication or stimulants, so that's the first thing they'll probably think of when you ask for an increase in dosage. He probably doesn't even want to give you the medication but has to, so is trying to find ways to get you on the lowest dosage possible, though that might just be me assuming from my own experiences. It's weird, I've had doctors who straight up said I didn't need medication for it, even if I had all my paperwork check out, simply because they personally didn't believe in it.

If he isn't going to bump up your medication as is, try to find a different way to frame the request. If it doesn't last long enough then ask if there's something you can take half way through the day, or maybe you can take a second dose a few hours after the first one. Ask if he'd be willing to bump your medication up for 2 weeks, then go back in for a second appointment/check up. Hell, the way I got switched to my current meds was because I told my doctor that my antidepressants weren't working properly, so maybe it's the adhd causing my depression/anxiety so let's focus on that???

I think as long as you're not trying to game the system or manipulate the doctor it's fine, but just be careful of how you phrase things. Or worse case, find a new doctor.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

The Rokstar posted:

I've pretty much always struggled with ADHD or at least what certainly feels like symptoms of it. About a year ago I was seeing a psychiatrist who prescribed me Ritalin and then Adderall, but I also have anxiety and a mild case of panic disorder and stimulants greatly aggravate that. If there's anyone else in this same boat, is there anything that you've tried that works for you? Would something like Strattera that's not a stimulant be something to try?

I've found that it's not the stimulants working that caused an increase in anxiety, it's when you're coming down off of them too fast that's the problem, or when you eat far too much sugar/caffeine. If your doctor still wants to try stimulants you could try taking the name brand extended releases which might be a bit pricey but I haven't had any other drug taper off so smoothly. On instant release stimulants I'd be a jittery mess when it started working, after I had a cup of tea and when it started to wear off. It'd ruin my entire day if I couldn't get that second dose in me at the perfect moment.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

HondaCivet posted:

So my dude is going to try switching me to Adderall XR . . . I picked it up and the CO-PAY was $250? Retail cost is like $375. This was for 60 10mg tabs. Did I gently caress something up or is this just how retarded Adderall is?

Edit: It's the GENERIC too, not by Shire. aaaaaaaah

I'm in Canada and it's about $120-150 for roughly the same amount of adderall XR per month, though I'm on the provincial drug program so I only pay $80 every 3 months. I think I tried the 10mg 2x a day for a week or two and the cost was pretty high compared to the usual, so they might be charging more per pill? Even then, my Adderall Xr is the best name brand one so I'm not sure how much of a markup you guys in (what I assume is) the USA have to fork over. $375 is robbery though, christ, what the gently caress are they putting in your drugs that's making it that high.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

TheBigBad posted:

Its like you're always stuck in second gear. (heh) You can go, and sometimes that comes in handy when going up a mountain with a heavy load. It costs two or three times the amount of energy to get a normal amount done. On the flip side, I can listen to three conversations at once and pull out brilliant new ideas by synthesizing whats been said before people finish saying it.

For me, it sort of feels like having your head in the clouds or everything being foggy like Silent hill. Or my brain fell asleep like your arm does when you lay on it for too long. It's also this nagging feeling that my brain is purposely putting up roadblocks to stop information from going in or out, to the point where I can't remember specific (and common) words regularly. Somedays I have to pause in the middle of my sentences several times to remember basic grammar.

samizdat posted:

I have an appointment for the results of my ADHD evaluation on Thursday afternoon, and a meeting with my psychiatrist on Friday morning. I sincerely hope I get :catdrugs: ASAP and can get an appointment soon with the school's office for students with disabilities, because I'm having a horrible time in my logic class now. :( I'm okay on homework, eventually I get it worked out, but I'm not able to do the same on quizzes. I'm probably hosed, my professor is bitching about we just need to study in order to pass and that we should withdraw if we can't manage that.

Can you find a quiet place at the school to study and work on your assignments? If I go home, I can't get anything done until the last minute. When I'm forced to stay at the school, especially late night, I find that I can actually concentrate on the tasks at hand because there's nothing to distract me. At home I can just get into my sweatpants and lounge around like a lazy fat rear end, but at school I have to interact with real people, I don't have any personal space and the school studio space is for work.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
Quick e/n backstory so you know where I'm coming from, Interstitial Abs. My parents got me tested as a kid when I refused to talk in school (even though I was reading and speaking at home at several grades higher) and the behavioural specialist thought it might have been adhd - Buuuut since I was so "smart" it was probably just me being lazy/unmotivated/rebellious. My parents refused to let me see any professionals afterwards since they were "quacks" which led to me not being able to seek any help on any issues I had. It didn't help that I got sent to school a year or two earlier than everyone else and ended up graduating highschool just as I turned 17.

I think one of the most important things you can do for your daughter, Interstitial Abs, other than believing she does have the condition and treating it is to take your time with her. People with ADHD are very immature for their ages. That doesn't mean we're terrible people or defective, but I found that I especially needed a few years inbetween highschool and college before I figured out what I really wanted to do and can properly apply myself. I went to art school at 17 and dropped out because I couldn't handle the stress of living on my own, my parents controlling my loan money because I was "bad with money", and having all the doctors I saw believe that I just had a common form of depression/anxiety most students experience the first time they live away from home. I wasn't prepared because my parents had basically crippled me by trying to force me into the role of an adult without teaching me how to be one, or if they had been trying I just didn't "understand." They had just assumed that I'd get to college and suddenly the pressure would be enough, and if it wasn't they would apply their own. I ended up with several suicide attempts and dropping out.

If your daughter is having issues with anything you need to be working with her, not against her. I was terrible with money my whole life, so my parents refused to give me my chore money or have a bank account. I remember my mother slapping me once when I asked for the 15 cents in change from a teddy bear purchase because I just wanted to try to save and track my money, and she had assumed I thought she was untrustworthy or stealing when she was trying to be "nice." I got my first bank account (of course it was a joint account) when I was 16 and had a summer job only because I had to cash cheques! If you want to teach your daughter how to save money then you need to start as soon as possible. Let her spend all her chore money on stupid little knick knacks and sit down with her to explain why she doesn't have any money for the things she really wants. Offer to hold onto her money and help her track it like a savings account (or just open one for her) so she'll always be able to check. Try to help her set goals, like if she wants a videogame, offer to help write up a savings plan. Every week she gets $10, and she'll give $7 to daddy/savings account for X weeks until she can buy that game; or maybe daddy will help her find it on sale so she can buy it earlier. Maybe she can occasionally persuade you to let her do some extra chores that she normally doesn't for $X a task.

Never "make" your daughter do anything though. She needs to learn this on her own, she needs to make the mistakes and she needs to work through it on her own. Most of the time I've found that I need to fail terribly at certain things several times to really learn the lesson. At the beginning of every semester/new course I always end up doing terrible on the first assignment because I need to use those marks as a way to gauge what I needed to do to improve. When I started to learn how to cook I made simple mistakes several times more than the average person would. When I dropped out of college the first time, it took 5 years for me to return to a program. The difference is now I'm in one of the top programs in the world, I'm one of the best in my year, my grades are higher than I've ever gotten them and I can sit down and do the work without feeling anxious or depressed.

If you don't work with her on her issues, you'll probably end up resenting her like a lot of posters here have experience with their parents. I probably will never have a healthy relationship with my immediate family, extended family and relatives because of my childhood and my inability to deal with social situations at times.

Good luck with your daughter, I hope you're able to help her.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Interstitial Abs posted:

Been off SA a couple days because of y'know, life(ie: chaos), so I was surprised to see this.

Unless I owe a lotta back child support somewhere that I don't know about, I think all your great points are directed at kiriana :keke:

Yeup, I really got to stop using my phone to post :keke:

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Atlas Moth posted:

Does anyone else have extreme problems juggling more than one thing at time? It's been an annoyance in the past, but it's really starting to creep up on me as I recently landed a job that involves quite a bit of teamwork. I'm starting to feel as though I might be out of my depth here.

Let's take today for example; I was at my job and I had a nice, efficient rhythm going, but wait! Surprise colleague turns up and I drop the ball so hard I forgot what I was doing in the first place. I'm not an old-timey bank man counting coins, no, I'm doing very basic stuff at a very easy job but it seems like I am completely incapable of dividing my attention for even a fraction of a second before my ball be dropped. All of this makes fundamental things like talking and doing at the same time a complete nightmare.

I sure try though, but I'll end it here before going completely E/N.

If you have a door, you could close it and ask people to knock before they come in. It'll give you enough time to write down or figure out where you've left off on your project so you can return to it afterwards. If someone wants to talk to you you could always stop what you're doing and give your undivided attention to them while writing down what they're saying. I've found that also makes people a little uncomfortable with gossiping since you're so focused on them instead of just chatting while working, which is a good thing for me. I also try to repeat the major points back to them at the end of the conversation just to make sure I have everything I need.

Don't feel too bad about it, even at school I have a really big problem with this sort of thing. A classmate came by while I was working to drop something off for me and I didn't even notice her speaking to me. I left what she gave me for our group project behind in the classroom so thank god the teacher kept it safe for us. From then on I had to tell my classmates that they had to make eye contact with me and get a verbal agreement of some kind if they wanted me to do something. If a friend wants to leave the class to go get something and needs me to watch their stuff, they now make sure that I agree to it before they go. It's really cut down on miscommunication, and I can repeat their main points as a joke ("You sure your project won't grow legs and walk away while you get lunch?"). I don't think there will ever be a "cure" or "perfect coping mechanism" for this sort of thing, but it does the job a lot better than what I was doing before.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

ghost of busey posted:

Thanks. I have another appointment on December 6th, so it seems my doctor does the three month follow up, as well. I'm content with my dose, so no reason for it to be increased. I'm just annoyed with the fact that I called them five days prior to running out like they said to and that it was never sent out. Had I known that it wasn't sent out, I would have driven to the office on Friday to pick it up.

Most doctors won't prescribe more than one to three months at a time. If you're new to taking the medication they might even only give you 2 weeks worth and have you come back for another appointment. Even up here in Canada it took a few months of taking my adderall for my doctor to be comfortable with prescribing 2 month, every 28-30 day type scripts. He went on vacation and I had to get another person in the office to write it, and the pharmacist had to stop and check through my records to make sure that it was at least the same office that was prescribing it, and if it matched my previous ones.

They're pretty strict about it.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
I find that I don't crash on the adderall XR when I have eaten enough, did some sort of physical activity and I'm not stressing out over stupid little things. The crashes can get really bad if you're sleep deprived though, holy poo poo.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Luth posted:

When I told her that I have researched into the symptoms of ADHD, she said that there was no way I would have been able to complete my university degree if I had it. I know that can't be true, because I've seen many people in this thread who had been diagnosed after or during university

I'm pretty sure I'm just going to go to a different doctor at this point but I would like to know the forum's opinion.

Ask to be referred to a specialist. A general practitioner or family doctor isn't going to know all the treatments or details about this sort of thing. Don't forget that ADHD wasn't really a "thing" until what, the 90's? And that was mostly people screaming that we were all drugging our children and feeding them speed.

You might have ADHD. You might not have ADHD. My current doctor is still stuck in the 80's when it comes to treatment for it, and only knew about ritalin and adderall (and wellbutrin but that's not a stimulant...) I had gotten all sorts of diagnoses before getting the ADHD one, even going as far as Bi-polar and trying to medicate me for that. Just eat better, do you exercise enough, get some more sunlight, eat more vitamins, are you sure you're just not stressed have you tried yoga and meditation??? Heard it all before. If you're a woman you're going to have to fight a lot harder to get that diagnoses because only boys get it :downs:

Qu Appelle posted:

I've only been on it for 3 days now, at 1mg a day. I can feel the Strattera exiting my system, as I'm twitchy less and depressed less. I'm on the name brand, and I take it around 8:30 am.

The side effects have been minimal, aside from sleepiness and a slight stomach ache.

Anxiety is gone, and when something does arise, I can deal with it better.

The ADHD feels under more control, but I still have issues with starting tasks (but that's more me procrastinating than the drug itself.) I like that I can also have a cup of coffee if i want without bad things happening to me.

It's only 3 days, and I want to give it a couple of months before declaring success or failure, but so far, so good!

Hopefully this one works out for you! I always feel bad when I read one of your posts about how you had a bad drug interaction and have to switch yet again.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Shrinkage posted:

Should i be worried if my psychiatrist diagnoses my ADD only from a 20 questions test?

He also sells me the Ritalin and Lexapro (brand name nonetheless) from his office (no prescription), is this guy just trying to sell me drugs?

He cost me $500 for half an hour consultation and two weeks worth of meds.

Edit: He's a quite famous doctor who used to be the Chief Psychiatrist of the army of the country he's from.

That sounds really messed. All medication, especially ritalin, should only be filled at a pharmacy to cover your rear end in case something goes wrong. Has he given you a copy of your assessment you can take to your general doctor to get treatment started? It might just be him doing things the way he used to at his country but you absolutely have to get those kinds of medications filled at a pharmacy. Some places will get you slapped with criminal charges for having ritalin without a prescription.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

NeilPerry posted:

I'm seeing a psychiatrist next week and have started working together my life story. However, in the meantime I took several pills from my brother, under the guidance and approval of my general practitioner because 1) it's the exam period 2) concentrating and stressing gives me terrible headaches that can be continuous(and I mean CONSTANT) for up to a month. It turns out I react very well to ritalin, so I was wondering if I should mention it to the psychiatrist that I already took some or do you think the fact that I took pills from my brother will leave a bad impression(maybe they see it as a sign that I'm looking to abuse the drug?). I know I could just say the doctor approved it, but a GP can't give ritalin so I'm scared that mentioning it might have consequences for the doctor.

I don't think you should even be sharing that information with your psych. "Hey doc my GP can't prescribe ritalin so instead he told me to illegally take some from my brother and use them during exam time, and you know what, they made me study better! I think I've got ADD! Could you give me a prescription so I can get some for myself?"

Your GP is retarded. If he can't prescribe it he shouldn't be telling you to acquire it illegally. In some places you can get charged with drug possession if you don't have a prescription. Especially if you're going to bring up that you were using it during exam time. It took over a year and a half for me to get a diagnoses just because I was in a college/university town and some students were trying to get their hands on it anyway they could during exams. You really want to tell a medical professional that you were using what's technically a form of speed to study better even if you legitimately have adhd?

When you go to the psych just ask to be assessed and to start a treatment plan. If I had told my doctor or psych any of that when I went in I probably would have been blacklisted for stimulant treatments.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Sinestro posted:

I'm a high school student living with my parents. I have no car, and they refuse to let me use the bus, because we are from a small town and they think that the bus is scary/have never stopped thinking of me as their sick little baby from when I had medical problems as a kid. From the things that I have read, I seem to have adultish AD(H?)D. I don't have a job. How can I find out if I need/get treatment? One thing I have found that helps, other than the usual caffeine, is to listen to certain kinds of music with a lot of just noise in them, as it blocks out a lot of the other thougts.

The first thing you need to do is actually get a diagnoses. The issue with ADHD, especially with younger people, is it can look like they have it when really it's just lifestyle issues. Younger children who don't get 2 hours+ a day of physical activity can fidget and exhibit adhd like symptoms in the classroom. Children who start school at a younger age or skip grades can have their immaturity mistaken for ADHD. Even something as simple as not being challenged by school work can look like ADHD.

I'm not saying you don't have it, or should stop looking into it but anyone can go online and find some disorder that fits them. If you really think you have ADHD you need to get to a proper psych and get diagnosed with it to start treatment involving medication, and you'll probably need therapy of some kind to get over the anxiety and depression that accompanies it. You would also have to find a way to deal with your parents coddling you since it sounds like they're not setting you up to be very independent. That's really setting you up to be socially anxious and afraid if you can't even use public transpo because it's scary (????).

I think you do need to sit your parents down first and talk to them about how you feel though, especially since you've looked into the kind of lifestyles unmedicated/undiagnosed people have. Higher rates of being addicted to drugs, alcoholism, failing college/university, bad decisions that can lead to things like higher rates of pregnancy, poverty, higher rates of suicide, homelessness etc. Frame it as you're having problems now and by the time you get into college you're not going to be able to cope and you're afraid you'll fall apart. If you've had medical issues as a kid even just frame it as wanting to go in to see if that's possibly affecting you now or if you have something like a bad thyroid that might be contributing to it. You want them to feel like you are trying to take control of your life and health, not just say "Well I read on a forum and I want to go get ADHD meds" since most parents, even now, think it's a bullshit diagnoses. Worse case you find out it really is a bad thyroid or something and can get that fixed!

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Fluorescent posted:

My psychiatrist decided to try me on adderall XR due to the terrible GI effects normal adderall gives me. Is adderall XR really that much better? I'm skeptical that it's going to make much of a difference. I seem to get really bad GI problems anytime I take a stimulant (caffeine is seriously the worst and I swear it's in every drink), so I don't think it's going to make a big difference.

From what I've found (and it might be too much information) is that after you take the XR spanule you'll really have to use the washroom and have your body push out anything in your bowels, then spend the rest of the day feeling pretty good. You won't get the nausea or GI problems if you remember to eat within an hour of taking it, at least I don't! I usually get up and take my pill first thing out of bed, do my wakeup routine and start making breakfast immediately with some green/white tea. Even if you want to lie in bed for a little while longer try to take it and lie there so it can start working in time for breakfast.

If you try to take it on an empty stomach or skip breakfast you'll really feel like poo poo.

edit- You also might have to go for the namebrand Shire XR spanules and not whatever generic there is. I can't take anything but that specific XR because the other forms of it have fillers that don't agree with my body, or the dosages don't release properly and I'll feel sick and jacked for an hour then crash. Without my poverty related welfare program to pay for it here in Canada I'd be spending almost $150 a month on the meds.

Horrible Smutbeast fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 8, 2013

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

mascaria posted:

Don't date people with normal brains. They don't understand.

Seriously though if you're getting serious with some one then it's not wrong for you to want them to understand what's going on in your head. Go ahead and lend them the book. The issue is that people think of ADD or any mental health issue, generally, as something you can get over and that's not the case. Getting your potential relationship partners to realize that you're not doing this on purpose and that your brain is wired differently is going to be key.

Yeah, as unfortunate as it is, most people are going to mistake your ADHD as personality quirks more often than say, someone with bipolar having massive mood swings. I love my husband to pieces and I don't ever want him to leave me, but it isn't hard to get into that frame of mind where he really would be better off without me. Personality alone can't be the only thing keeping him with someone who can't budget, is perpetually in poverty, can't hold down a job, has break downs far more than anyone else, can't do several basic tasks (like remember to take my keys with me or charge some batteries after I use them), and all these other things that could easily just be blamed on poor habits or lifestyle choices rather than a legitimate disorder. Then again, if my psychotic sister who abuses animals and is a rapist can find several boyfriends in rapid succession to beat on maybe I shouldn't worry so much :v:

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

ickbar posted:

How is it even possible for a girl to rape a guy? If she's hot enough then plenty of guys are willing to get "raped" if you get my drift.

If they say no and someone continues against their will, whether there's pressure from society telling them to accept it or not, it's rape. Alternative answer; probably the same ways she used to rape me when we were younger :colbert:

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Goddamn posted:

I find I'm a bit more picky about food on Adderall (amphetamine salts). Mostly from having less appetite to start with, maybe partially for the above reasons, though it's usually just textures (e.g. a gristly/fatty piece of meat or the kinds of orange skins that never get chewed up) that gross me out.

Urgh, the worst for me is that I've been learning to cook with all this newfound energy and the problem is that I can't stop eating myself back into obesity. It just all tastes so good, and whatever I wanted to save for lunch the next day gets gobbled up quicker than you can snap your fingers or get the dishes cleaned. Off adderall I'll just bored eat whatever is around without even noticing what it tastes like. Just can't win with adhd!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Liffrea posted:

I've just been diagnosed with ADHD, predominantly inattentive, with co-morbid anxiety, and was hoping to get some advice/feedback from people about the treatment suggested for me. The evaluator at the center I went to suggested that I start with coaching for now, and see what happens for a few months, and if that doesn't work, a full neuro-psych evaluation might be in order along with medication. I just spoke with the coach recommended to me over the phone and while I liked her a lot from the initial conversation, unfortunately it doesn't look like our schedules are going to mesh. She's going to try and put me into contact with other coaches who might be able to accommodate my schedule, but I do have some questions about what she told me:

Full Neuropsych evaluation? That seems really odd. I'm not sure what country you're in but any normal psychiatrist/psychologist would be able to diagnose you with Adhd. From what I know, that stuff is mostly used to diagnose and help people with head injuries or diseases affecting the brain. Like, sure, adhd can really affect your motor skills and all that jazz but you shouldn't need to take a full battery of neuropsych tests to figure that out. Is it so severe they want to rule out brain damage and learning disabilities or something? When I went in to my doctor I got referred to a psychiatrist who did the adhd testing, then diagnosed me with comorbid depression and anxiety based off my previous medications and diagnoses. I then went to my doctor to start trying medications.

It sounds like the center you went to is more concerned with getting money from their patients than providing actual care. Having a baby doesn't mean you can't stop coming in to work, especially if you're being paid $240 an hour (jesus christ). The fact they think it's acceptable to try to treat an unmedicated adhd patient/client over the phone is insane. They're the ones that need the full neuropsych assessment if they think that's helping anyone.