Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Is getting diagnosed with ADD difficult? I'm showing some symptoms of it and it runs in my family but I'm really nervous about going to a psychiatrist and trying to get prescribed medicine for it. Like they'll think I'm a junkie or something.

I'm not sure if I have it or not, but I can't focus on poo poo. Can't follow lengthy conversations,make careless mistakes at work, can't watch movies for more than 15 minutes. Everything is such a chore for me :(

Anyway help would be great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

How old are you and how long has this been an issue?
Thanks for the help everyone!

I'm 28 and it's been a problem for awhile now. I was never diagnosed as a kid obviously but I got horrible grades and could never pay attention. I dunno, I want this fixed as I can't enjoy things they way I used to but I'm apprehensive about what the psychiatrist is going to say. I have to talk to her over Skype too so that going to be even more awkward.
I just want this poo poo to go away.

signalnoise posted:

For me it was a 500 dollar battery of tests that all focused on learning disabilities, and ADHD testing was among the stuff involved. You could get diagnosed from your doctor, or a psychiatrist, or whatever. I personally would get a full battery to look for stuff you weren't thinking about instead of jumping straight to "hey doc I think I got the adhd's"

Ugh, this is about the last thing I want. I hope they don't suggest this.

sponges fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 31, 2012

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Why does taking adderall make me sleepy and how much can I expect this to help my concentration? I am in hell.