Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Hello hi I'm walking into this because over the course of like, two weeks, I've managed to find myself in the position of probably maybe thinking I have some attention disorder.

Met a new person at work, they came out that they had ADHD and explained how it affected them on the job and it basically synced 1:1. Issues with focus, stupid little mistakes that you know you know better of but just have difficulty doing consistently. My own experience is that I feel like I'm constantly being torn between a bunch of things, and while I can very quickly respond to something that becomes urgent, getting back into whatever is just... Hard. Unfortunately, this isn't a job where I'm given the luxury of focusing on things. Given space I can feel really productive get a lot done but it's a fleeting opportunity at work.

And then shortly thereafter, hung out with my bestie. Turns out he also recently got diagnosed with it and he talked about his day-to-day and it just completely destroyed me. poo poo like, good school performance (well, for me, very skin of my teeth a lot of the time. He struggled a lot more with it) but eternally putting things off and generally experiencing tremendous anxiety about it but being unable to address that constructively by actually doing the thing. That, but also in like, everything else in life. It's just hard, in general, to start anything at all. Even hobby stuff is very difficult to get into despite really liking it whenever I do.

So I decided to talk to the 'rents about it, and, welp, turns out everyone in the family has it and I was never told.

So, uh, poo poo. How do I go about it? Friend told me GP->psych referral, parents said "talk to your doctor". Either way it's a trip to them, but is there a better game plan knowing I have confirmed diagnoses in the family?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Canada.

I think the process is a little closer to your experience. I also suffer from severe allergy issues and it basically ended up with a couple minute appointment and then referral out to an immunologist so I gather that's the path but I don't really know. It's very certainly something I can do though which I guess is better than nothing.

I will be insistent on a psych for it, though. Thank you!