Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021
I'm in my mid 40's and was diagnosed with ADHD this past January, though I've struggled with the disorder my entire life. School was a complete mess for me; I always tested highly, was identified as "gifted" early on in life and was placed in gifted classes but was then labeled an underachiever or slacker when I couldn't complete assignments and homework on time and had trouble paying attention in class. I had to drop out of college because I just couldn't sit still, concentrate and pay attention for 2-4 hours at a time. I'm sure many here can relate.
Some odd things that I've noticed about myself and am curious to see if others have experienced:

- Things get 'stuck in my head' very frequently. Sometimes it's song lyrics but more often it's just a word, phrase, sentence or a person's name. Whatever it happens to be will just repeat over and over in my head. Sometimes the repetitive thought can last for days. I hate it but feel as if I have no control over my own brain. Due to this I can no longer really listen to music that has lyrics.
- I started reading at the age of 4 and have been an avid reader my entire life. I used to love to read books but within the past couple years have found that I can no longer read printed literature. I'm even afraid to read books now. Knowing that I can no longer do something that I once enjoyed so much is devastating. Oddly enough, I can still read things on the internet, though I'm still very easily distracted and often have to read a sentence 2-3 times before it really sinks in.
- I pick at my cuticles all the time, sometimes to the point where they'll be bloody. I catch myself doing it and force myself to stop...but 5 seconds later I catch myself doing it again. I absolutely hate this and don't want to do it but feel as if I have no control.

I've been taking 150mg of Wellbutrin XR daily since January and saw good results for awhile but lately the drug seems less effective and I find myself losing focus and procrastinating more and more frequently. I'm supposed to be cleaning/organizing my office today...but instead I'm writing this.
I have an appointment scheduled with my doctor and I plan on mentioning these things to him but I have concerns about different medications and their side effects so I'm curious as to other's experiences. I've had problems with stimulant abuse in the past (cocaine) but I haven't touched any in 10 years. This makes me a bit uneasy about being prescribed other stimulants like Ritalin or Adderall.
With the exception of some minor, occasional constipation I've been side effect free while taking Wellbutrin. I'm particularly worried about sexual side effects like ED if I switch meds. My wife and I both have very busy schedules and work opposite hours so on those occasions where the stars align and we both have availability to be intimate, I'd like to be able to perform.
Apologies for the long post, just needed to get some of this stuff off my chest and hear from some people that can relate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021
Dr. recently prescribed me ritalin (5mg) and I tried it for the first time today...hooooooo boy do I hate it. It's actually making me feel worse! Very hard to stay focused, mind is racing, very jumpy, just all around a cruddy feeling. I don't think I'll be taking this any more. I have managed to check off a good amount of items from my to-do list this morning, but I'm not sure that the juice is worth the squeeze so to speak.