Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

shoetastic posted:

I have ADD (not ADHD) and i'm happy to contribute, that's if there hasn't been 10,000 contributors already ;):D

The DSM-IV diagnosis is always ADHD now, with subtypes. So if you have what used to be "ADD" then you have ADHD, predominantly inattentive type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

Paramemetic posted:

3 subtypes. The vast majority of children have the Combined Type of ADHD. Only 2% have predominantly hyperactive-impulsive type.

I have combined type. I am pretty sure that I need to change my meds around again because I was supposed to make an appointment with my psychiatrist last month to refill my rx but then I noticed a little piece of paper on my retardedly cluttered desk in our grad student office that said I had an appointment on Nov 6 so I wrote it on my calendar and on that day I trekked all the way to Student Health Services and the receptionist wasn't there and my doctor came out and was like "uh hey, what's up" and I was like "I have an appointment now right?" and he was like "uh, no..."

I went back to my office and the appointment paper said Nov 6, 2008. :(

I didn't make another appointment yet. Gonna run out soon. Oops.

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

Qu Appelle posted:

So, question - anyone have their emotional lability (sp?) go off the charts on Adderall? I'm normally really stoic, but for the past week or so, I've felt like I've been on the edge of tears, and weird little things trigger crying. Watching a documentary on Obama on TV? Tears. Playing with the cat? Tears. Getting flamed for something monumentally stupid on the Internets? Tears. Messing up something minor at work? Tears. No other emotion feels inflated or dampened.

I think my emotions are actually a lot more stable on Adderall, honestly. I'm a little bit irritable when it's wearing off, but during the day I feel like I have a lot more control over myself.

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Also I managed to find some of my old school files from elementary school through early high-school. Literally everything written about me by a teacher mentions either a "lack of motivation for long-term" activities, or a lack of attention. Also one of my teachers wrote that I had wasted my entire year.

I wish somebody had noticed that pattern.

When I was gathering up all of my old school stuff to take in to my psych, I had one of the same moments of "jeez how was this not figured out before..." :downs:

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

extraneousXTs posted:

In the future, after you get leveled out and in a routine: See what your doctors and the school registrar can do about dropping or remedying those class grades from that semester. Write a letter to the school's president if you need to and explain that there were extenuating medical circumstances, what they were and what you've accomplished since then and your fears about grad school. At least make the effort so you can say you've tried if you really honestly do want to go to grad school.

I know this was a month ago and we've moved on to like 10 other topics by now, (;)) but I just want to comment and perhaps provide a little bit of encouragement. I agree with XTs here.

I am a late-diagnosed (at age 27) ADHDer (have posted in this thread previously). I graduated from high school in 1999, had no real idea what I wanted to do afterwards and spent a long time screwing around in college, transferred universities and got a degree that I didn't really care about with a very mediocre GPA (around 3.0 cumulative). Then I decided I wanted to go to vet school (high standards for admission) and afterwards my grades got better but still not good. Finally after my diagnosis, I got my poo poo together but let me tell you, after 2 bachelors degrees and like 200 credits, that cumulative GPA just isn't going to budge.

I've been medicated for about a year and a half, and have done quite well in a thesis based MS (that I sort of lucked into...your stats don't need to be AWESOME for an MS/MA, and there are ways to fund yourself if you're very determined). Anyway, I applied to vet school for the second time this past year, and I wrote a good statement explaining (but not making excuses for) my past performance and talking about how I've changed the way I approach things and understand how to study effectively and stuff, with concrete examples and a 3.91 graduate GPA to back it up. I was accepted to my first choice with a GPA far below the class average (though other aspects of my application were well above).

I guess the point of that ramble is that if you really really do want to go to grad school and are willing to put a lot of work in, you can still do it.

Sekhmet fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 6, 2010

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

TheGopher posted:

For all of you other people in here, how the hell did you guys get through college, and some of you post-grad with ADHD? I did grow up as the ADHD poster child though, so maybe I just have a bad case.

I got through my undergraduate degrees (both of them) pretty much because I could always understand complex concepts and interrelationships between things really well, but usually got burned out and hosed over by the details, or by some stupid little error on the exam (skipping a multiple choice question on a scantron and not realizing it, etc). I also would tend to do really, really well on the first exam or two in a course (like curve-breakingly well) and progressively lose interest as the semester went on but was carried by my earlier grades - sometimes a final push or generous curve would let me get an A in the class anyway, but I got a lot of B's and C's in courses in which I had the top score on the first exam. It also helped that the exams were multiple choice - essay exams were and continue to be the bane of my existence. I just don't do well with timed formal writing like that.

Seriously, in classes where the professors would discuss exam results and class statistics, my scores invariably went down on each exam while the class averages went up each time. This was no matter how much I tried to "study" or how much effort I put into it. Only after I was diagnosed and began treatment was I able to sustain even a remote level of interest in a class from beginning to end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

TheGopher posted:

How did you get your homework done, or were you lucky enough to go to a school where it was only mid-terms + finals that counted for your grades? Inevitably I always fall behind on the homework, and despite almost always doing really well on tests (well for classes that don't require a ton of outside studying, like math) I'd always get hosed and would just lose interest and stop showing up.

Yeah, no real "homework" in upper division science courses, which were the only courses I did better than mediocre in. Anatomy lab was the only real trainwreck - the lab practicals were basically the bane of my existence. Sooooo much memorizing without being to go into the lab after hours and actually physically handle specimens. Here's hoping being medicated and having after-hours access can help me through them in vet school. :gonk:

I had issues with homework too when in compulsory education - I was the only kid in gifted class who repeatedly got comments from the gifted teacher that I consistently failed to turn in assignments.

quote:

It's strange you say you don't do well with essay tests, because writing, while sometimes laborious, is pretty easy once you get the hyperfocus going. Granted, I write a lot better on the computer when I can bounce all over the page and add in details exactly where they need to go, but even on paper it was never that hard. Maybe I didn't get far enough in college to notice this, however.

I can't hyperfocus at will. I'm currently in the midst of writing my thesis, and it's basically done in huge chunks of inspiration where I'll churn out 8-9 pages at a time and then not look at it again for a week and a half. Once I actually finish a part, it's really quite good.
My problem with timed essays is that I can't manage the time well. In my first graduate course here, I was doing really well in the class, had a pretty solid A going into the final, but as it was a department-run core class, the grading was department-mandated and the timed essay final exam was worth 40% of the grade. It was such that we went into a computer room and were given a set of 4 essay questions and 6 short answer questions. We were then told to select 2 essay questions and spend 30 minutes each on them and 4 short answer questions to spend 15 minutes each on. At the two hour mark, when everyone else was long finished, I had completed 2 essays and 2 short answer questions and was incoherently in the "jump around the page and write down ideas" phase of the third short answer question. The professor felt bad for me and let me at least write SOMETHING for the 4th short answer question so that he didn't have to take off a full 12.5% for not doing it. Obviously I scored rather poorly on the two that I hadn't "finished" but was given extra credit for my very thorough answer on one of the essays, pretty much so that I could stay at an A- in the class at least. Also, I scored very well on the quant/verbal portions of the GRE, twice...but both times got an analytical writing score in the 41st percentile. Timed writing. :sigh: