Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
When I remember to put things into it, my BlackBerry is really useful. Unfortunately I often forget to put stuff in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Zhentar posted:

If she thinks you have to be hyper to have ADHD she's an idiot and probably shouldn't be practicing medicine. There are two subtypes of ADHD, predominantly inattentive, and predominantly hyperactive/impulsive, and the considerable majority of adults with ADHD are predominantly inattentive.

3 subtypes. The vast majority of children have the Combined Type of ADHD. Only 2% have predominantly hyperactive-impulsive type.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Hobo Tickler posted:

First of all : Hasn't anyone here had bad experiences using Adderall / whatever?

When I was on an absurd dose it caused me to demonstrate OCD symptoms and also exacerbated bipolar mania.

When I'm properly medicated for the bipolar disorder and on a more reasonable dose, it works fine, however.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Qu Appelle posted:

So, question - anyone have their emotional lability (sp?) go off the charts on Adderall?

This is a well known side effect of amphetamines. When it doesn't happen regularly, it happens when the dose slopes off. Adderall XR was invented in part to help reduce these crashes, but it doesn't really do a great job.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Rushputin posted:

I guess I should ask: Is everyone who has these emotional problems with the meds diagnosed with depression or other additional disorders, or is there anyone here that can honestly say that they'd be completely emotionally stable without them? I guess it's kind of hard to say when you need the stuff to be productive, though.

Stimulant use can both cause withdrawal symptoms such as emotional lability, irritability, anger, etc. and exacerbate preexisting mood problems such as depression. I would not be surprised if your weepiness spells were dependent on Ritalin withdrawal. To that end, it might be worth it to experiment by skipping a dose.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
20mg of Adderall wouldn't gently caress anybody up, but it would make anybody into a studying and focusing machine. That's why college students take it.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
That's fine, I'm just saying that response to stimulants is not diagnostic of ADHD at all.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Some states allow MDs to write prescriptions for 90 day supplies on C-IIs, and some states allow MDs to write three prescriptions dated forward (i.e., 1-25-10, 2-25-10, 3-25-10) to be turned in in order.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Therapy has a terrible track record with ADHD. It's useful for teaching life skills and coping skills to deal with the impairment. No good for symptom remission though.

However, therapy has a great track record with depression. It is easily as effective as medication. Best results combine the two, though.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Nothing. You're not supposed to notice a new feeling, it's not like you're supposed to feel your head buzz or something. You're just supposed to focus better.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Edit: I'm a moron and read "extended release."

Immediate release Adderall lasts about 4 hours. It slopes up in about half an hour, peaks, and then steadily decreases over the next 3.5 hours. Take it at least 5 hours before you want to go to sleep.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 11, 2010

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Danith posted:

Who would you talk to about this, a doctor or a psychologist?

Either or to make the diagnosis, but only a psychiatrist can prescribe medications, so it's a better bet to go to one of them for treatment. The downside is that often it's hard to see a pdoc for long enough to make a good diagnosis.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
No, you absolutely cannot under any circumstances develop ADHD as an adult. It is a disorder of childhood and has to be present from before age 7. There are many, many other psychiatric conditions that can cause attentional problems, however. Anxiety and depression, to name two.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

timbit_fiend posted:

Later this week, I'll be taking my seven year old in to begin testing for ADHD.

Reading this thread has been very interesting - there's so many 'when I was a kid' that sounds like my son. Because he's so young, it will probably be a long road in terms of diagnosis and then decision on what do for treatment.

In the meantime, is there any suggestions for things that I can do to help him on the behavioral end? Was there anything that your parents did that was helpful - routines, structures, techniques, etc? If you had a peaceful workspace at home to help you concentrate, did you find that the contrast made it harder to concentrate at school? Really, any advice would be helpful. The internet has been a good source for information about symptoms and general advice, but a lot of it relates to older children or teenagers.

All punishments must be swift and immediate. All rewards must be the same. Children with ADHD are incapable of conceptualizing things ahead of time, and all rewards and punishments must take place at what's called the "point of performance." A child with ADHD cannot understand that they can't go outside next weekend because they broke a vase today. They will academically "get it" but it will not change their behaviors, and they will be pissy as gently caress come the weekend because they don't "get" why they're being punished anymore. Likewise, a child with ADHD cannot be rewarded with a new toy two weeks after they got As on their report cards. They will appreciate the gift but it will not serve as a behavioral reinforcer.

Basically, if you want to scold or praise a child, do it right when whatever happens. It will not serve as an effective reward or punishment otherwise.

Similarly, break things down into small tasks with definite endpoints so they can see achievement on an ongoing basis. If they are working towards getting all As on the report card, focus more on each individual A they get on a test. Don't try to entice them with a longterm goal because immediate gratification will always trump delayed gratification for a child with ADHD.

ADHD is not a disorder of attention. That's old thinking. Any more, ADHD is better seen as a behavioral inhibition disorder. Children with impulsivity and hyperactivity are not as able to filter their actions. They literally act before they think. This is the behavior that needs to be trained; you need to train them to delay before acting and think through what they're about to do. That is, of course, if you're looking at ADHD Combined Type. Predom Inattentive Type is an entirely different monster and frankly the research on it just isn't there. DSM-V is likely to split ADHD into two different disorders because Inattentive Type ADHD is completely different from Combined Type. In Inattentive Type ADHD there really is an issue with attention. There is not such an issue with Combined Type.

This is probably the best piece of information on ADHD there is right now available easily online. Russell Barkley is the foremost expert on ADHD, period, and not much has changed since this lecture was given.

Every single person in this thread should read it.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 8, 2010

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Qu Appelle posted:

Father, Son, and Holy Ghost :)

So, I have another question about Adderall XL - what's it's half life?

The halflife of amphetamines is highly dependent on metabolism, to the point where it borders on useless, but it's average is 10 hours for dextro and 13 hours for levo. However, the release mechanism for Adderall XR fucks it all up anyhow - XR has two different types of little spheres in it that metabolize different places in the digestive system. The end result is that the first dose happens instantly and peaks 2 hours after taking it, and the second dose happens about 4 hours later and peaks 6 hours after taking it. It's effectively the same thing as taking two pills four hours apart. Because of this the halflife is weird.

quote:

Also, does anyone have experience with Adderall (or other drugs of this type) and COBRA?

COBRA is just a policy for extension of your current health plan, it is not a health plan of its own. You will have the same experience with Adderall and your insurance under COBRA as you have now. Good luck finding a new job.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

flavaaDAAAAAVE posted:

I've just gotten diagnosed and prescribed Adderall. 15 mg XR with 5 mg IR when needed. I forgot to ask the doc, is there anything to worry about with mixing this and coffee? I love my specialty blends and faggy iced mochas so I hope it's not a big deal.

edit - I asked the pharmacist about this and he said "it might make it less effective. it might make it more effective." and shrugged. Thanks.

The pharmacist is right on both counts. The acidity could gently caress with absorption (don't drink orange juice or grapefruit juice within an hour of taking it on either side) but it's a stimulant. I find it to boost the effect of the Adderall. Cigarettes, too. Fast and shallow, that's how I like my pulse. Hehe

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

casual poster posted:

Does anyone know if theres a stigma attached to adult adhd? For as long as I can remember it has always been marketed as a childhood disorder that you eventually "grow out of."

"Adults who say they have ADHD are lazy slackers making excuses."

Yes, there's a stigma. However, with the dawning of Strattera it's had the poo poo marketed out of it. The term "Adult ADD" literally did not exist until Eli Lilly made it up for advertising. And even when they did, they called it ADD instead of ADHD, a pet peeve of mine.

It's becoming accepted, but the problem is a lot lot lot of things look like ADHD. So adults may think they have ADHD, when really they don't. The other problem is that once someone decides they have ADHD, they'll often retroactively and selectively remember times as a child when they had a hard time paying attention and use this as "confirmation."

Adult ADHD does exist only because we've learned that people don't "grow out" of ADHD. This is a relatively new discovery - ADHD is a very new diagnosis. It was originally "minimal brain dysfunction" in DSM-II, and turned into ADD with DSM-III in 1980. As such, the first generation to have ADHD diagnoses (minimal brain dysfunction) is only 60 or so now, and the first people diagnosed with ADD are only in their 30s. Even still, ADHD didn't become a popular diagnosis at all until the early 1990s, when Novartis started marketing the poo poo out of Ritalin.

Because of this, we're learning people don't "grow out" of ADHD, whereas before we did not know this - how could we? It was a disorder "usually diagnosed in childhood or adolescence" and as such it was very rarely diagnosed in adults.

Another problem with Adult ADHD is that while it causes significant impairment, there are no established workplace accommodations for it. So a lot of people will get this diagnosis, technically a disability, and tell their employers, and not get anything out of it except a stigma that they may be irresponsible or making excuses. I've found that it's normally best to keep this particular diagnosis to myself, and from what I've seen on ADDForums, telling an employer about ADHD usually only ends in tears.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Qu Appelle posted:

What again does Straterra do? Because that may be an option I present to him.

Strattera is a noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor. General consensus among people who use it is that it's better for inattentive type ADHD but there's no research supporting that assertion. The research shows that it's effective, but not as effective as the stimulants.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

flavaaDAAAAAVE posted:

Do you mean it's better than stimulants for inattentives or that it works better in inattentives than hypers and combineds.

Keeping in mind that all these reports are anecdotal, and there's no research support behind them, I mean that it's better for inattentives than for combined types.

The research does show that the stimulants are best for all groups, though not as good for inattentives.

Qu Appelle posted:

Is there also a handy chart anywhere of the current drugs used to treat ADHD, that I can print out? Partially for my benefit, and partially for my docs, as I have the feeling I'm going to be going through a drug change (or 5), and I want to be able to keep track with what works and what doesn't. And I like charts.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Don't put too much stock in that article, it doesn't seem to be academically rigorous. He cites the statistic of 10% being diagnosed from an article by Zuvekas et al, but that article does not support the citation. It in fact says that diagnosis rates are as they should be in accordance with the DSM statistics.

The Zuvekas article is at http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/reprint/163/4/579

The Evans article is at http://www4.ncsu.edu/~msmorril/EvansMorrill_ADHD.pdf

There is certainly a problem of young children being diagnosed as ADHD, but there is no problem of overdiagnosis. He's trying to make a point about medical spending but using a poor premise to support this. Still, the problem of young children being more likely to be diagnosed may be true, I don't know. It seems likely to me based on my experience in the field.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

TheGopher posted:

I wish there were more effort informing people in general what ADHD really is. The part about having difficulties paying attention to the task at hand is such a small part of the condition

The current research says that ADHD is less about being unable to pay attention and more about being unable to direct attention, and especially towards tasks that require sustained mental effort.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

flavaaDAAAAAVE posted:

Here's an Ask. Does increasing the dose ever increase the time of effect? Or just the effect during the same period of time?

Increasing the dose increases the time of effect, but it won't be as efficacious the entire time. The dosing curve looks like a T-distribution with a long slope. Taking a higher dose "spikes" the concentrations higher, which then slope off over time.

The higher the spike, the longer it takes to reach a non-therapeutic dose.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
As I understand the problem with drinking and Wellbutrin is not that it will make the Wellbutrin not work, but rather that it's incredibly, incredibly taxing on your liver.

I have taken Wellbutrin for over a year now, and I have drank while doing so, and my mood has been fine and consistent when drinking barring other factors. I can't tell you if I've done incorrigible damage to my liver or not though.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Hooves posted:

I read somewhere that people with legitimate ADD will not build up a tolerance to amphetamine. How much truth is there to this?

People with ADHD have bodies that strive to achieve homeostasis just like everyone else. Yes, you can develop a tolerance. Some people mitigate this slightly by taking "med vacations," but their efficacy is questionable unless they are for some time.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Mindblast posted:

I was told that tolerance might build up, but if you stick to the dosages recommended to you it is not possible to get a physical addiction if you really have ADD. Is there any truth to this?

At very high doses your body will become dependent on the chemical the way it becomes dependent on any chemical of this sort. You may not become addicted in the "fiending to get a fix" sense, but withdrawal will be unpleasant. That said, that doesn't really happen to anybody at relatively low clinical doses.

It won't turn you into a tweaker, but your body will develop a need for it to function well if you're on a high enough dose taking it regularly enough, ADHD or no.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Rereading that, I phrased that really poorly. The above poster is correct, it doesn't form physical dependence. And there's no evidence that at clinical doses there will be problems. I did specify high doses over long periods of time. Sorry if I was misunderstood due to my lack of clarity.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
After switching from Adderall back to methylphenidate based drugs when I got a new doctor, I was put on Concerta, which was basically homeopathic for me. So we went back to my classic dosage of Ritalin SR 20mg qam, Ritalin 5mg bid prn, which we may increase up to qid if I find 2 boosters aren't enough to get me through everything I need to do.

What are your experiences with the SR? It's been a really long time since I've taken it and I've been on a lot of different meds since then, so I don't really remember except that it worked for me. I'm reading that it reaches peak plasma concentrations at 4.5 hours or so, do any of your experiences jive with that? Should I take this when I wake up and just expect it to be 4 hours before I'm at maximum efficiency, do you think? I seem to recall it having a duration of effect of about 6-8 hours, is that correct?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Having taken numerous drug tests while taking ADHD medications, I'd wager you'll be okay.

If you give the people administering the test the prescription information, they will call the pharmacy and confirm you have a prescription. They then don't include those results. So basically, they go "he's testing positive for amphetamines because he takes them prescription, sooo he passes." Your employer never hears about this. Your employer only ever gets a "pass" or "fail." If you present the prescription, you will get a "pass" regardless of testing positive for amphetamines.

I guess if you are working for a hospital and they do the drug test in house, then you might have grounds to worry. Usually it's my experience that businesses outsource the drug testing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Kylra posted:

The Goon Doctor is more about the people with the actual condition discussing the treatments and medical technicals about it though isn't it? I was kind of aiming at a thread also for people without the condition to come in and ask about it like this one started out as, which seems more A/T. I'm ok either way though.

I'm not exactly a doctor, just very well read, and I'm not sure if that matters or not for making a megathreadlike OP there.

I believe it should go in Goon Doctor alongside the general psychiatric Q&A and psych med Q&A. It seems to me that it's a medical topic.