Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shoetastic
Mar 21, 2004
that's shoetastic

mike grace jones posted:

I wasn't diagnosed until a few months ago (I'm 24). You are very lucky to have gotten treatment at 15. I managed to hold a 3.0 GPA through high school and a top college without doing reading, or any work on time, or even buying books through all of college, but every day I resent that I was able to be a "functional ADD," because as soon as I left the womb of academia the real world hit HARD. I never understood how to manage basic little mundane life tasks or even find an occupation that interested me because EVERYTHING was interested at first and then suddenly not at all. When I think about what I could have accomplished by now if I had been treated throughout my middle and high school years...it's all very depressing. Be happy for the time you've had.

This is almost exactly my experience, word for word.

I was thinking about starting this thread a month or two ago but talked myself out of it. Figured that there would be threads already (and i have no search account).. plus an absolute shitload of self diagnosing going on by other posters when they realise that 'oh MAN I have lapses of concentration on occasion! I must have ADHD!'

I've honestly given up trying to talk about it to people because 80% of the time that is the response I get, the other 20% are people who don't believe in it and embarrass themselves.

I have ADD (not ADHD) and i'm happy to contribute, that's if there hasn't been 10,000 contributors already ;):D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoetastic
Mar 21, 2004
that's shoetastic

rainbow kittens posted:

Hello, me! Except the being diagnosed part, this pretty much is me in every sense.

This is what caused my friend (psych major - he had a copy of the DSM-IV and would read it for fun) to tell me that he thought I had ADD. I was attempting to write papers for some of my courses in university, and it just was not happening. One day he sat me down and asked me what the hell was going on in my head when I was writing the papers.

I mean, clearly, I would know what I was writing about. I would read the material, I would get out the paper and the pens and the computer. And then I would sit there. The paper would be trying to write itself in my head, but when I put my pen to paper, I would start to subconciously doodle. And doodle. And doodle. Three hours later, and multiple pages of hearts and flowers and things, I would always call it a night, and feel incredibly guilty with myself. And then I would always vow to try again the next night.

What scares me is that you say that the medication really didn't help. I want to go on medication and get help so that I can go back to school. If the medication isn't going to help, then I don't want to be on it.

Sorry about spamming the thread guys. It's late, my mind is racing (I should be in bed), and I've been having second thoughts about going to the doctor because it's like "Do I really have a problem? Or is it all in my head?"

We can't tell you. Don't self diagnose on the internet, see a doctor.