Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extraneousXTs
May 4, 2004

SquirrelFace posted:

To all the people not diagnosed until adulthood, did you ever feel a sense of loss over all the things you could have done, but didn't because of ADHD? Looking back at all the lessons and clubs and activities I dropped out of as a kid makes me feel like I missed my chance to be a good pianist or dancer or whatever. If I had stuck with Spanish instead of taking up three other languages, maybe I would be fluent. If I had stayed in gymnastics, maybe I would be an athlete. I know its crazy to let that stuff get me down now and I am hopeful, but I'm just angry about it.

I'm just shy of 30 and recently getting treatment so all the people who are in their early 20s and agonizing over it being caught sooooo late make me laugh because the wistful theories about what could have been if this was caught at 5, 9, 13, 16, 22, 25... just multiply the more years you go without diagnosis but are just as useless to your future at any age. Find a good counselor or support group (whatever works for you) to help herd your brain away from thinking about this poo poo too much.

The anger is a tough thing to have hanging around. Don't think it will ever go away in some aspects, especially not the resentment towards my parents and how hosed up attitudes about symptom description/diagnosis are for girls and women (boys are hyper while girls are neurotic/hysterical/histrionic).

If it makes you feel better take some Spanish classes after your meds are leveled out and you get into a normalized routine - Doing things is so much easier when your brain is getting herded into better habits, especially with meds as help, but it won't guarantee success because some things are challenging with or without treatment and having a diagnosis will not ensure success at all those failed what if's.

(Now that medication and therapy are in the picture I'm going to rent a violin to take up something I loved so much as a child but never managed to handle. :unsmith: Even if I suck at playing just being able to sit down for an hour to practice will be revolutionary.)

SquirrelFace posted:

The worst is that when I was on anti-depressants a few years ago, I dropped out of school without dropping my classes and failed everything. My anxiety and depression were really good at keeping my behavior in check and with those gone I went a little wild. I have since pulled my poo poo together since going off those meds, but with a whole semester of F's, my GPA is so low I could never get into grad school. Now I just tell everyone I don't want to go...

In the future, after you get leveled out and in a routine: See what your doctors and the school registrar can do about dropping or remedying those class grades from that semester. Write a letter to the school's president if you need to and explain that there were extenuating medical circumstances, what they were and what you've accomplished since then and your fears about grad school. At least make the effort so you can say you've tried if you really honestly do want to go to grad school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extraneousXTs
May 4, 2004

Obscurity posted:

Have any of you 20+ people w/ ADHD/ADD that take medication noticed a big enough difference in the aforementioned symptoms to merit taking the medication? I haven't been on meds since I was in 8th grade or so, and I'm now 23 (in June).

I've learned to manage my life around it, but there is so much I think I could amount to w/ the help and I'm wondering if the medication is a drastic enough improvement nowadays. (For reference I last took medication at around the time Stratera(sp?) was first making it's debut.)

If you have disrupting symptoms and you can see the house of cards, that you've built through managing/working around ADHD, having the potential to really leave you hosed if it gets hit from the wrong angle then find a good doctor who will run you through medications until you find the right fit.

I can't just say: "Ho hum nothing to do for classes today, no need to take my speed.", or it's back to living in a disorganized timewarp where nothing gets done and at the end of the day I am exhausted but cannot sleep from the tugging urge to do something, who knows what. (I'm on instant release Adderall, 10mg/3x daily, remember doses thanks to alarms :downs:)

Medication is the difference between having my poo poo together and not having it together in all parts of life (personal/professional/academic).

That's one of the things which makes ADHD what it is. Pervasive disruption across multiple domains, not just situational poor stress/time management at work or school.

[e/n]Just juggling things won't get you by in the long run unless you live a blessed life. The past 6-months have been incredibly stressful (family meltdown) and I can't imagine surviving them if I was not medicated, no matter how well I thought I was doing on managing life through the little coping habits and rituals adopted to imitate a functional life, there would have been no way those strategies could have compensated. During a crisis rituals and cobbled together coping techniques are butterfly nets compared to a safety net provided by addressing the problems with your brain chemistry.[e/n] ymmv~

extraneousXTs
May 4, 2004

Elotana posted:

Does anyone have any experience with generic versus brand adderall?

Generics in the US have to be within a threshold of like ~30% bioavailability of the namebrand, which for some medications is a world of difference. My psychiatrist writes orders for a generic for Adderall that is the closest to on brand that she's aware of (peach colored, Barr Labs, iirc), and pharmacies around her who get a lot of her clients keep a good supply of it.

extraneousXTs
May 4, 2004

cloudstrife2993 posted:

If only I'd had that study a few years back when my calculus 3 professor had the nerve to give me a 20 min lecture about how my eating habits were causing my ADHD (I had gone to his office hours to get help on homework).

Some people :arghfist:

Had a professor who said that ADHD didn't exist when he was young when the issue came up. I told him they just called it 'minimal brain dysfunction' and lumped us in with the Downs kids and 'Bad Girls' in his youth. He was surprisingly receptive to that explanation and to references of cross-cultural studies of ADHD which were published in credible journals; I was really kinda shocked to see someone who babysat neanderthals come around so fast.

:unsmith:

extraneousXTs
May 4, 2004

Xenoid posted:

Yeah I always thought lithium was a pretty big deal even though I don't know exactly what it is/does. My mania lasts for a few hours, usually in the evening/late night. I'm not a morning person to say the least. I will try to see if I can get another referral or something but it's tricky because I need a referral to see a psychiatrist and I don't have a family doctor here. I might be able to see my old GP in 2 weeks so maybe she can refer me to someone in Vancouver that is better. I guess I am manic as I never thought of it properly before, but I was more concerned with him ignoring my impulsive/inattentive bits because those are detrimental to my being and mania is something I can work with as it's better than depression in any case.

A lot of people with ADHD seem to get a sense of 'mania' in the evening because all the poo poo you didn't get done during the day just creeps up in your brain on some level and anxiety/jittery unspent or misused energy just starts freaking you out.

Stim meds were revolutionary sleep aids to me because I was no longer spending my nights shuffling around stressed out about all the poo poo that should have been done or picking my brain about what the gently caress was forgotten oh-god-I-know-I-forgot-something - No more laying in bed or being unable to get to bed because of that low-grade frenzy nightly cycle, just being able to sleep because all the little and big poo poo managed to get done for once. Huge, huge relief.

Are you female by chance? Women are sometimes pigeonholed by doctors with "hysterical, hyperemotional, manic", descriptors for things which might be seen as "hyperactive, immature, impulsive" in male patients. I was initially misdiagnosed as 'rapid cycling bi-polar' because of the mood issues (especially depression from being a gently caress-up) that come from a lifetime of untreated ADHD, and the stresses/anxious unnameable motivations being interpreted as short bursts of dysphoric mania by a doctor.

It was really easy to rationalize because, well, life sucks and if you manipulate the idea behind the term mania you can thinly stretch its application in psychology beyond the actual diagnostic criteria for bi-polar disorder just to have a name for the problem and an established, immediately available course of treatment (mood stabilizers, etc).

Bi-polar mania and hypomania is persistent and not just a few lovely hours every day which can be explained by other disorders or environmental problems. It seems like the urge to slap ~*~bi-polar~*~ on anything with mood swings is loving horrific these days compared to the time before the jump in drugs being directly advertised to physicians (not just psychiatrists) for bi-polar disorder (the shift to using atypical antipsychotics to treat it especially, holy poo poo). :tinfoil:

"Criteria for a manic episode:
A manic episode is a distinct period of abnormally and persistently elevated, expansive, or irritable mood that lasts at least one week (or less than a week if hospitalization is necessary). During the period of disturbed mood, three or more of the following symptoms must be present (four if the mood is only irritable): "

Think Britney Spears head-shaving breakdown manic behavior versus Jim Carrey and his, at times inappropriate, energy/attention levels and compromised ability to have a filter for the words that come out of his mouth.

Seek a second opinion for sure, like for serious sure. That doctor sounds too quick to draw on the prescription pad and seems to misunderstand or manipulate your description of symptoms for a fast diagnosis of a disabling condition... in a new patient that he wants to medicate without further testing/review to confirm. But I am once bitten, twice shy.

To compare doctor visits to dating: This sounds like the creepy date who says I Love You too fast; dump him and find someone willing to get to know you better before committing to serious long-term treatments. It is a time consuming pain in the rear end to move on but it can save you years of mistreatment and lost time from settling. Doctors may not boil your bunny in spite, but they can wreck your life with medication side-effects for something they believe you have versus something that is confirmable by other clinicians using established diagnostic criteria.

extraneousXTs
May 4, 2004

Xenoid posted:

Unfortunately the ADHD clinic in Vancouver was backlogged so the government did the only sensible thing and shut it down to avoid embarrassment so it can be hard to find anyone here. It will take some time but I should be able to find a good psychiatrist eventually. I didn't find type 3 on any website but it's funny that that's the cause because I didn't mention anything like that to him so I question his ability to perform well in medicine.

God that sucks. Good luck dude!

Get some of the books recommended in this thread to work on building coping skills for time management and emotional stuff in the mean time? :unsmith: Find tons of physical activities to help with focusing and mood. Weight lifting or swimming or running or whatever will kick your rear end and empty your mind, it's a really good and cheap way to self-medicate.

extraneousXTs
May 4, 2004

Qu Appelle posted:

I feel you on the college thing.

I would absolutely discuss it with the colleges in question - ADHD is a recognized medical condition that causes learning disabilities, and they are required to accommodate that. However, they have to know about it in order to do that accommodation. It also shows that your erratic scores are due to said ADHD, as opposed to just slacking off and being a high school wasteoid :rock:

They are required to make reasonable accommodations, and limits can be different depending on the individual disability services offices and the severity of the disability. Testing accommodations and classroom stuff to cut down on distractions is awesome, but ADA policy is not a free do-over card for disabled students (unless disability services accepts a document from your clinician granting you a free do-over card, you lucky poo poo).

SleepySonata, I would really go for enrolling at a community college to see if college would be something you can handle right now. There's the attitude that college is Adult Real World Practice Time and sink or swim, but sink or swim is for the non-ADHD kids and to hold yourself to their standards of success and failure, to expectations set up for the majority of teenage college freshmen, is a huge terrible, depressing mindfuck to set yourself up for.

Look at some of Barkley's speeches on ADHD.

You might be better off with a few years between high-school and college/university before you are really at the same place as your non-ADHD friends. Check out Page 16-17:

Dr. Russell Barkley posted:

Subtract 30 percent from their age and ask the question again. Age 16, what do you let people do in this state? [Drive.] All right, subtract 30 percent from their age. You just gave an 11-year-old an automobile. And you said be nice, follow the rules, pay attention, show self-control, and organize your driving. What would you expect to see if you gave 11-year-olds cars?
[...]
You have one of the few 18-year-old teens with AD/HD that wants to go to college, because very few of them will ever go to college, right? You’ve got one who does. You’re sending a 12-year-old to college. If that were true, what adjustments, what accommodations would need to be in place in a university environment for any 12-year-old to succeed in that environment? Would you send them to UCLA? With class sizes that run several thousand in the introductory freshman classes? Absolutely not. Very small college, very small classes, with a learning disabilities program and accommodations, so that you would be tailoring that environment to that individual with a smaller course load, hand-picked professors, a lot of assistance, curriculum, video tapes, study groups, other people there to assist them through the LD resource program, and twelve to fourteen kids in a class. You’re going to look for a very tiny liberal arts college that does a lot of LD accommodations, and then maybe this kid will get a college degree. You drop this kid into a state university, he will not finish that first semester.

Our research is informative, because it tells you what adjustments you need to make given the developmental lag that you’re dealing with. What I hear is, “He should be normal. He should be doing what those other kids are doing,” which of course is ridiculous. That’s like expecting a retarded child to act normal.

Academia is well suited to ADHD in some fields but academia's not giving a flying gently caress about ADHD and other acronyms is generally aimed at not caring about undergrads failing out due to any number of circumstances, disabled or not.

Being a 'pretty good for ADHD' C-student isn't really compelling without major back-up from letters of recommendation from teachers who coached you through challenges related to ADHD, and even then you're a really risky investment for picky schools and the unpicky schools will not be the best kinda environment for someone whose "daily cycle basically amounts to nothing getting finished".

Getting into somewhere you want to be and will thrive in will be much easier with better grades from a community college. Any failing experiences there not carrying over to your university transcripts will be a huge boon, and any letters of explanation/applications can show that you applied yourself after such-and-such high-school performance to become a stellar student who can and will thrive in that college's program, instead of being an ADHD teenager making their first stab at college academics relying on a letter of explanation citing their ADHD and the hope that they can keep their poo poo together against all odds with the good graces of an ADA compliant disabilities center.

extraneousXTs
May 4, 2004

2508084 posted:

I've been on Wellbutrin (for depression) for the last six months. Personally, it doesn't do poo poo for the ADHD. My psych actually laughed out loud when I told him his nurse said it might help me a bit with the ADHD. I hope it works for you.

The explanation that I got from my clinician is that Wellbutrin helps the brain with managing dopamine which makes your brain better at utilizing relatively lower doses of stimulant medications and some studies seem to reinforce that theory if not support bupropion's use for helping to treat ADHD, not that it is a huge gamechanger miracle help for treating adult ADHDers or on its own as first line of treatment, and I think there have been studies showing how helpful it is for addicts so the lol from your doc is 2x weird but not everyone keeps up on research if its not their specialty.

extraneousXTs
May 4, 2004

ultrafilter posted:

You should talk to HR as soon as possible to get a paper trail in place, and consult a lawyer to figure out what your legal situation is. Other than that, it kinda depends on your boss and the local corporate culture.

ETA: Also, if they do discriminate against you because of an ADA-covered condition, you will be able to live comfortably off what you can sue them for. Again, talk to a lawyer.

This, get that papertrail started ASAP x100. Some companies are real shits about ADA paperwork being filed within so many days (or maybe this is just my hellish right-to-work/anti-worker rights state) of being sent to you so make sure that your clinicians have appointments lined up to work on the paperwork for you .

There's no need to tell your direct supervisor the exact nature of your disability beyond "I need to get some ADA paperwork filed with HR" if there is HR/actual infrastructure (directly asking about the nature of the disability hits a minefield of disclosure protections), and if they don't provide you with reasonable accommodations or discriminate against you please spend your settlement funds wisely. :toot:

Some disabled people misunderstand FMLA/ADA protections (see it as a break rules for free card) and how it can be applied to their personal case but it comes down to whatever you work out within the laws' framework (if your employer thinks one day/X hours of excused absence a month for medical appointments is a reasonable thing then so be it, etc.)

Some Google Result posted:

Can an employer make me have a medical exam or ask questions about my disability?

A potential employer may not ask you whether you have a disability, or any questions about the nature or severity of a disability. However, a potential employer may ask questions about the ability to perform specific job functions and may ask an individual with an obvious disability to describe or demonstrate how those functions would be performed.

An employer may not ask a job applicant to take a medical exam before making a job offer. But it’s all right for an employer to condition a job offer on the result of a medical exam if this is required of all entering employees in the same job category.

What is a reasonable accommodation?

A reasonable accommodation is any kind of modification or adjustment to a job or to the work environment that makes it possible for a qualified applicant or employee with a disability to either participate in the job application process or to perform essential job functions. Reasonable accommodation also includes adjustments to make sure that individuals with disabilities have the same rights and privileges as individuals without disabilities in the workplace.
Can you give me some examples of reasonable and unreasonable accommodations?

Examples of reasonable accommodations might include making the workplace accessible to and usable by an employee with a disability, restructuring a job, modifying work schedules, providing qualified readers or interpreters, or modifying equipment. Reassigning a current qualified employee, who is unable to do the current job even with an accommodation, to a vacant position, may also be a reasonable accommodation. There is no obligation, though, to find a vacant position for an applicant who is not qualified to perform the job for which s/he is applying.

extraneousXTs
May 4, 2004

Aculard posted:

I dunno, I've gotten in the bad habit of double dosing a 40mg XR. I read a bit of a thread for people abusing adhd medication elsewhere on the forums and some people are taking like...240mg for recreational purposes.

PeopleDruggies are crazy hahah.

XR releases differently in your system than IR versions (kinda the entire point), so you're not really dosing yourself with the equiv of 80mg XR but rather have two XR tablets dissolving in their own wacky peak and spike rate at the same time giving you even more rollercoaster stupid fun and I cannot imagine what that means for building a resistance to the drug you need to function. Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, just holy poo poo :psyduck: See your loving doctor already.

extraneousXTs
May 4, 2004

2508084 posted:

Of alllllll the things.. I found my backpack zipper had split when I went to take my adderall. Now I can't find my adderall. I split it into two bottles, one at home and one on the go since I take one of my doses on the way to class (can't go home or I'd leave it there).

Half my adderall is missing. I hope I just misplaced it in my apartment, but I could swear I put it in my backpack.

e. I have enough to last me all month if I don't take any on the weekends. If I don't find it, I guess I'll just do that.

Invest in a few pillcases so you don't have this scary worry ever again. :( I found some at CVS that are metal with a pretty plastic picture on front, and they are wonderful and stick to magnets so there are a few grab-and-go daily dosages on a magnetic whiteboard and fridge.

Any paranoia about being caught with a day's dose and no prescription label on a bottle can be made better or worse by about worrying about being accused of intending to sell your prescription by carrying around 2-weeks worth of a controlled substance med to a college campus. :v:

extraneousXTs
May 4, 2004

cloudstrife2993 posted:

Oh man, somebody else had this experience too? I swear my jaw hit the floor when my new [this was a few years ago] doc asked me about how my personal relationship with jesus was. Then, when I mentioned that I meditate but don't talk to jesus, she told me that "that would fail me someday soon."

I'm Jewish. You better believe I got a new fuckin' doc.

Yeeeah, the number of people who go into 'helping' fields like medicine (and by extension psychiatry) because of strong, overbearing religious convictions or codependency (wanna help people so they like me/care for me as I need, or help people in ways I need(ed) to be helped) makes for some seriously hosed up patient-doctor interactions. :shepicide:

Lackadaisical posted:

Don't risk taking a potentially life loving medication because of a quack throwing pills at you with a short, unprofessional visit with no actual testing, especially considering what seem to be considerable behavioral and physical health considerations you are already contending with (no offense but you don't seem functional enough to have a safe margin of error for further loving up.)

A 20-question quiz? Whoop-dee-loving-doo, this is medicine not Cosmo's 'Is He Into You' quizlette of the month, and getting a diagnosis and subsequent medications for ADHD can disqualify you from some future employment opportunities by merit of having taken an amphetamine. Getting hopped up on speed might seem to help fatigue as a bandaid, so if you want to experience that go buy some diet pills and keep working to improve your social environment to aid in addressing the many things that contribute to depression.

The distraction, or lack of ability to concentrate caused by the duality of depression-anxiety working on making life hell really sucks but it is not the same thing as the neurobiological fuckery that results in ADHD (the phenotypic expressions of fatigue/depression's effects on memory/concentration and ADHD being similar does not mean that you should treat them with the same drugs, especially ones which make anyone and everyone feel better or at least different in the short-term.)

extraneousXTs
May 4, 2004

Lackadaisical posted:

And I realize I can't afford to gently caress up more right now, but I'm honestly curious what could go so wrong by just seeing if the meds work? She listed some mild side effects but nothing "potentially life loving". I'm not worried about the effects it'd have on my future employment. I know I come off sounding stubborn, but I'm just really curious as to WHY it's a bad idea (other than my doctors erratic behavior). I may not fully trust her but I need something to go on to compel me to trust the internet over her.

Alucard nailed it pretty well. Your doctor understated the side effects, especially emotional ones during crashes from a daily dose. The moodiness from the speed itself and then the speed crash are not things that an already depressed/person with history of emotional issues (and current interpersonal emotional problems re: break-up coping) needs to experiment with especially if you do not have a trustworthy doctor to hand-hold you through dosing experiments. It doesn't come off as stubborn, just desperate, and desperate gets people into deep poo poo with some classes of drugs.

Weren't you on thyroid meds to treat subclinical/euthyroid hormonal levels at some point as well after doc shopping through a few quacks/bad doctors? Amphetamines can gently caress with your heart and stack that on top of the heart damage unnecessary thyroid hormone doses do and you ramp up the cumulative consequences of being curious about getting something, anything, to help with how you feel. Just because some things are medicines and help with symptoms does not mean your long term health will be free of side-effects, find a good long-term doctor to manage your care comprehensively instead of weighing the words of a lovely doctor versus the words of goons.

If you really want to take the speed then ask the recreational/experimental uppers thread in TCC, they might be better equipped to help you.

extraneousXTs
May 4, 2004

TheBigBad posted:

One thing you can do is ritualize skin care a bit. I added a luffa and once in a while some moisturizing cream. He'll I'm a boy, so remembering to wash my butt in the shower is challenging. By taking a little extra care, I can cope with the urge and just find something else to do, like tickle my wife.

I do this kinda diversion with my nails for the cuticle tearing/biting/ADHD-OCD autopilot poo poo. Fussing with filing, painting and sticking poo poo onto my nails diverts a lot of the brainfunk and it has led to much improved hands that are also presentable in public. :downs: If I do start picking during high pressure times it is at polish and nail art, not at skin; for male nail and/or cuticle pickers there are matte clearcoat polishes you can use to ritualize nailcare, if the filing isn't enough of a diversion. Sephora's glass nail files are cheap and surprisingly durable.

extraneousXTs
May 4, 2004

Goodpancakes posted:

Hi,

I just got diagnosed with ADD while getting treatment for anxiety (I am 27). This was done using campus facilities. Sadly due to douche bags loving it up they cannot prescribe effective drugs without a backing comprehensive test. These tests are 500 bux at the cheapest. Has anyone dealt with a similar situation and are aware of cheaper alternatives?

Get some good books on coping strategies and start building up routines/accountability traps for yourself if you cannot get access to services or medications. I am in a similar position and have to wait until I either marry for health insurance (student coverage covers no prescriptions, bare bones emergency coverage, criminally bad really) or graduate and find a job that will get me speedy insurance with pre-existing conditions. :toot: Find a local social worker to see if they can hook you up with low-cost services or any social safety net programs you might have access to based on income.

My university's clinical psychology program is the cheapest testing facility in the region, for learning disabilities/developmental delays, and does not take student health insurance to cover the $500-$700 cost of testing batteries (think you can break $1k in costs if you need to have ADHD screening AND learning disability assessments.) They also require EKGs (really loving expensive, not covered under student health insurance) before filling any stimulant script should you get one from a clinician outside of the university system. Don't want all those kids getting study aides to drop dead with exploded hearts.

extraneousXTs
May 4, 2004

Qu Appelle posted:

Hopefully you'll do better on the next exam :ohdear:

I've failed it twice in the past.

I'm chipping away at it via community college, out of pocket from university based financial aid, so that it doesn't absolutely gently caress my GPA to fail 2x+ since I'm an A-grade student in things that don't involve having some sort of existential crisis when asked to calculate a tip. Seriously started asking people who say, "Math is just a language, think of it like this to make it less intimidating... :words:", what they tell dyslexics who find learning to read in a 2nd language more challenging than the average student since they don't seem to find ADHD/developmental delays to be a potential roadblock for someone who is an over-achiever in other things.

It becomes just another infuriating little spot where 'common sense' folk wisdom and stigma surrounding ADHD makes otherwise sensible people say really stupid poo poo. Why is it so hard to understand that a seemingly competent adult has weaknesses for whatever reason.

e/n::tizzy: It really doesn't help that having an adult diagnosis means that I never had educational support for subjects I was 'bad' at since teachers figured I was just lazy/loving with them and my mother's favorite excuse was, "She's just creative, artists are never good at math." (She also, in all seriousness, told me to stop blaming things outside of myself when I begged her for learning disability screening in high school, before eventually dropping out because there was no support at home or in the schools. I am also nearsighted and got glasses 10-years late, so many things were missed because it was treated as 'the Boy Who Cried Wolf' type complaints from a seemingly lazy, avoidant clown. Going back to college was the only way my ADHD and bad eyesight got caught, but even with those caught the catchup in things like math is seemingly impossible on days like today.)

The way some instructors have treated me after I've come out of the special ed closet has been so loving depressing, and is so insulting considering there are/were brilliant contributors to science who relied on math savvy and/or proof-reader spouses to filter their brilliance into publishable material. Just.... gently caress. Suddenly a grasp of theory and methods means nothing because I transpose numbers and need you to sign a sheet that lets me bring a scientific calculator to the retar-er, disability testing center so I can check my work and get what a medical professional with a Ph-loving-D considers to be a fair shot at the material? I dropped a class this semester because of how a faculty member treated me on this, and it was a pre-req for a 7th-year seminar that I have a deep interest in even as an undergrad. It's just that I can't take the pressure of wading through dogshit treatment for what would be a shiny elective credit on my transcripts when I also need to work on playing catch-up in basics. That doesn't make 'admitting defeat' any easier though (it did help to find out that this faculty member treats everyone that way, with slightly more smug degradation for female students.)

extraneousXTs
May 4, 2004

ADHD Thread posted:

Pillbox Chat

This is my pillbox. :j: I also have a bunch of CVS bill boxes (like $4/ea for decorative, non-geriatric looking pretty pill boxes) that are made of some metal that sticks to magnets, so there's two of them always filled with a day's worth of dosage to grab off of the fridge for mornings when I do not think I have time to get pills packed.

I'm not too paranoid about proof of prescription anymore since they can call to verify controlled substance scripts, I am not carrying around a recreational or sellable amount of the drugs and if they really wanna waste my time over this poo poo if I get stopped and flat out tell them when/if asked that I have my ADHD meds then their time gets wasted too.

extraneousXTs
May 4, 2004

Goddamn posted:

Oh whoops, nah I meant as in having neglectful or abusive parents. Not to make it sound like I'm throwing out the "Issues? Must've been your family!" card at all, I'm just curious since every once in a while I hear about people having issues like mine having similar backgrounds, and it's not a kind of discourse that's had much. (And for the record I did not substance abuse anything either)

Dr. Barkley's pointed out in some texts, as have other books that mention ADHD in adults, that abuse from all sources (family, authority, peers) is more likely to happen to kids with ADHD, so that compounds already having compromised attention/function on a routine basis with increased symptoms during periods of stress due to dissociation.

Not all dissociative symptoms are Nam Vet thousand yard stare stuff, they can be reflexive shifts where the brain just kinda drifts off during a stressful conversation towards a laundry list, reliving similar stressful conversations, or LETS RIDE BIKES bullshit. Severe stress triggers for people with trauma/PTSD can lead to complete functional withdrawal that is very similar to the super procrastination powers of an ADHD adult where nothing gets done and it feels like you've been in a timewarp where a deadline has suddenly arisen from the 3-weeks that felt like a year oh god wtf.

Dissociation from trauma (childhood abuse, etc) during stressful periods can be very similar to distractibility/lack of concentration found in ADHD, which is why a thorough screening by a PhD/MD with a clinical and/or neuropsych background is very very important in order to get appropriate treatment. Stimulants help anyone concentrate better, because speed is loving awesome, so it is good to find out if you have GAD, PTSD or other trauma disorders overlapping with ADHD so that stimulants do not increase symptoms from overlapping issues and your doctor can look at other options to help with function (referral to talk therapy most importantly).

General note to posters who have brought up childhood abuse:
If you have a history of childhood abuse and have never received a comprehensive screening for ADHD, beyond a checklist and patient personal account, I'd really recommend getting a screening taken care of so that all the ducks are in rows and you're not digging yourself deeper in by treating PTSD with stimulant medications alone. I know this is easier said than done since a lot of insurance companies do not cover adult screening for developmental delays, learning disabilities or ADHD (been dealing with that poo poo for years), but the overlap between ADHD and trauma behaviors is something that really needs to be sorted out by an experienced professional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extraneousXTs
May 4, 2004

The Rokstar posted:

What exactly does a screening for ADHD entail? Any time I've ever brought it up to my psychiatrist it's just been a series of a few verbal questions about my history over a couple minutes and that's it.

A local test provider in my area lays out:
A clinical interview; review of past records (grades, reports, etc.)
A review of current symptoms and childhood symptoms.

Which everyone has basically done with their prescriber.

And a test battery including Conners’ Continuous Performance Test-II, Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory-2, and Behavior Rating Inventory of Executive Function (BRIEF).

If you have had any history of head injury including concussions a neuropsych may do more poo poo. An EKG to ensure that you do not have underlying heart issues that speed may antagonize is also a requisite test for a lot of professional practices (asses must be covered, but the safety of patient is the primary concern).

These tests 'prove' the ADHD and establish a clinical basis to prescribe a commonly abused range of drugs just in case a review board doesn't consider the judgement/diagnosis based on personal account from the MD prescribing to be sufficient (no one wants to lose their medical license). Having testing batteries in your personal medical file will ensure that you always have an airtight diagnosis and access to a prescriber should you move into an area with tighter controls, or a good file to justify the speed prescription for some jobs would otherwise not hire someone on speed, etc. Kids get these tests covered by school districts, which is why some insurance companies refuse to cover them for adults without appeal circuses, since all of us should have had loving, caring families that allowed access to having functional problems assessed by a professional.