Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

shoetastic posted:

I have ADD (not ADHD) and i'm happy to contribute..
ADHD and ADD are synonyms. The latter is no longer used by the medical community.

Edit: gently caress, beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

I have ADHD and cannabis (even one hit) makes me pass the gently caress out, sleep for 12 hours and wake up feeling pretty good but totally not in the mood to do any work.

If I'm not allowed to lay down once high, I start getting really panicked and freak out.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

they should just give speed to anyone who wants it and can pass checkups to show they're not going insane/losing too much weight/losing teeth/stealing their relatives' belongings

Edit: and who doesn't have heart problems of course

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Kneel Before Zog posted:

No adhd medication makes you lose you teeth/causes heart arrhythmia but if you have any actual proof that shows otherwise...
Amphetamines cause drymouth. Drymouth makes your teeth more vulnerable to cavities. Cavities, untreated, result in losing teeth.

I don't recall ever saying that any ADHD medicine caused heart problems, only that people who have heart problems should not take stimulants.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Mein Eyes! posted:

I think even I assume that ADD a behavioral problem rather than a chemical problem, and that I'm treating my laziness more than a deficiency in how dopamine moves in my brain
:ssh: All behavioral problems are chemical problems, some are just easier to fix than others.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Qu Appelle posted:

oh Gods
Please, do tell us which polytheistic religion you practice. I can't wait to hear!

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

zoso820 posted:

Could someone elaborate on the effects video games have on someone with ADD? I'm new to the thread and saw it briefly mentioned on the first page, and now I'm really curious. Before I was diagnosed, I simply could not stop playing them, and I would get really angry at myself for putting off homework again. Then I would just say gently caress it, I don't have enough time to do it anymore anyway, and I would go back to playing video games.
I do that all the time too... I procrastinate until I don't have time to do it and then I just throw up my hands and accept failure... and go back to playing video games/listening to music/chatting

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

The drymouth has given me more cavities than I've ever had in my entire life

(either that or the dentist I switched to massively overdiagnoses cavities)

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

if you can convince your doctor that you need more than you actually do, your prescriptions can easily pay for themselves (especially if you live near a college)

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

flavaaDAAAAAVE posted:

I wonder why adderall is schedule II
Because the government thinks everyone is a child who can't make their own decisions about what they put in their body

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Have any of you noticed that, while on your meds, you are more productive... but not on the thing you wanted to be productive on?

Whenever I take my dex I end up with a DJ mix about 2 hours later... when I was supposed to be cleaning my room or doing homework.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

TheBigBad posted:

What do I do with these Vyvanse pills? I'm done with them and there are 27 of them.
I'll take em!

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

(controversial "advice" removed)

helpful content: I found weed to be a very effective sleep aid, as long as I used it very sparingly--only on those days where I desperately needed to go to sleep and nothing else worked. In my experience, if you use it too much it stops working as well for this purpose.

Weed is a mild psychedelic/hallucinogen and in general mixing those with stimulants makes it easier to have a paranoid freakout (stimulants encourage the "fight or flight" response). Of course I'm prone to paranoia on weed alone so your mileage may vary.

Disclaimer: I don't actually smoke weed very often, and it affects different people in very different ways, so don't take my word for it.

Socket Ryanist fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 1, 2011

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

I'm sorry, I live in california and I keep forgetting that we are actually a different universe than the rest of the US. Carry on.

Edit: If smoking weed is part of your lifestyle then you probably have weed-smoking friends. Ask them if they know any weed-friendly doctors. They're easy to find around here and if you live near another major city (like chicago or NYC) then they might not be too hard to find there either.

If smoking weed is NOT part of your lifestyle already then I think it would be silly to start smoking it if you're going on an adderall regimen.

Socket Ryanist fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 1, 2011

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Take magnesium supplements and that jaw-clenching and tongue-biting will all go away.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Blame the fact that meds are hard to get on the government's misguided drug policies, not individuals' decisions about what to put in their bodies.

Or better yet, why don't we keep all discussions about the drugs in a non-ADHD context in TCC? This thread is about ADHD, which only makes it tangentially about ADHD meds. (Not trying to backseat mod, just a suggestion)

Socket Ryanist fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 23, 2011

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

signalnoise posted:

You can't split a capsule.
:raise: You sure can. Or do you mean you can't split it precisely?

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

signalnoise posted:

Are you suggesting doctors tell their patients to split capsules? It's as if i said you can't serve drinks inside a sandwich. Sure you can, but not seriously.
Why is splitting a capsule hard? Open it, pour it out, divide whatever is inside in half, re-cap. Not rocket science.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

signalnoise posted:

Are you saying that if you put "take half of one capsule three times per day" on a bottle, that more than 5% of your customers will just do it without problems?
I didn't realize we were talking about the average customer. I thought we were talking about you and me and other people in this thread, who (I hope) are intelligent enough to figure that kind of thing out.

If you're implying that a doctor assumes all of their patients are ignorant morons, then please tell me who your doctor is so I can make sure to avoid them.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

My life has significantly improved since I discovered my phone's schedule/reminder feature.

Now if I have to do something on a certain day I just set a reminder.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Protip: Your phone can't remind you to do something when it's off.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Qu Appelle posted:

There are also generic versions of Dexedrine and Ritalin. No idea about costs, but they are out there.
My dexedrine is about $30-40 for 60x 10mg

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

so apparently if you want IR dextroamphetamine the proper script to write is "dextrostat" not "dexedrine". My doc has been writing me for "dexedrine" for 2 years and only now has a pharmacist refused to give me the IR tablets because of that.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

My suspicion is that it's not specific to the drug, but rather when dopamine activity decreases, the first effect is lethargy, but then when it decreases further you get into this goofy, hyper mood--like when you stay up past the point of being tired. I think that people with ADHD tend to be in this region of dopamine activity by default, and a small dose of amphetamines pushes you up into the "lethargy" region, whereas normal people are already above that region so taking amphetamines pushes you up higher into the "stimulated" region.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

If you can't find your keys/wallet, you probably put something on top of them.

Seriously I spend minutes checking the same spots for my keys and they're always under the hoodie, backpack or pile of books that I just tossed on my bed.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Sub Rosa posted:

Just like the rest of the Schedule II substances prescribed for ADHD, Concerta requires a face to face consultation for every script and cannot be prescribed for longer than 30 days. Presuming you are in the US.
Hm, my doctor told me he only needs to see me every three months--which is consistent with what other friends have told me about their doctors.

I've been through the same thing many times. My advice: make sure you refill your script like clockwork every 30 days, even if you don't run out, that way you (hopefully) slowly accumulate an emergency supply.

It would be immoral and/or illegal to get your doctor to up your dose just so you'll end up with extras. So don't do that.

Socket Ryanist fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 25, 2012

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Sub Rosa posted:

It is possible for a Pdoc to write three separate prescriptions at one face to face visit, but not one script with two refills. Some states have further restrictions that state that a Pdoc can only write one script per person per thirty days, closing that loophole.
He writes me three separate scripts then mails them to me one a month

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

You sound like me.

Are you perhaps overweight? (drinking lots of soda plus sitting on the computer all day leads me to think you might be). You might have sleep apnea, which doesn't help.

Force yourself to be on your feet as much as possible, walking, not standing in one place (your ligaments won't like that). As soon as you notice that you're sitting in a haze of doing nothing, get out of your chair and walk around the block.

When you wake up, shower and get dressed FIRST, before you open up your laptop or pick up your phone. I find being clean and wearing clean clothes are a huge factor in whether I feel like leaving my room or not.

Go on camping trips and don't bring any unhealthy food with you.

Don't put things like cleaning and laundry on the back burner because you have "more important" work to do. That "more important" work will be more easily done if the space you do it in is uncluttered.

Socket Ryanist fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 12, 2012

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Jared592 posted:

Yeah, but at least we (in the US) don't have to wait months for a consultation and testing
No we just have to pay $1000 for one.

(okay I exaggerate, it was $500 for me)

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Why are you skeptical? the GI problems are a result of the drug being concentrated in your gut before it spreads out to the rest of your body. If the drug is released slowly it never gets concentrated in your gut thus no GI problems.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Casual Annie posted:

That makes some sense, I just sort of assumed everything that wasn't over the counter was controlled. Thanks for explaining that.
Prescription medication is medication that can't be sold without a prescription

Controlled substances can't be possessed without a prescription.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Signs you might have ADHD: The deadline for your 6 page paper is three hours away and (due to unforseen circumstances) you realize you might not be able to make it...

...so you bang out a four page letter asking for an extension, in an hour. evidence

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

signalnoise posted:

Pulled a 17 hour shift today and let me tell you, I am no stranger to stimulants but the come down off adderall when you still need to focus is loving mean
Do you generally do caffeine as well? I find the amphetamine comedown more tolerable if I'm not withdrawing from caffeine at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Whenever I'm at a music festival or out camping I barely even notice that I have ADHD

I'm really starting to subscribe to the idea that ADHD has always existed and was completely normal until society started demanding things that not everyone can cope with.