Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Uhhhh I don't get it, while it is kinda funny, the whole bike thing is not a joke. I really do bike everywhere, all the time, and it really does do wonders for my ADHD. It builds confidence, and it is one activity where being ADHD is a huge boon - constantly changing conditions and being able to scan your surroundings and notice every little thing is the key to riding effectively, and it just so happens that that is something ADHD people do without trying.

Not to mention it's an easy, ADHD compatible way to get the 30+ minutes of hard cardio that you are supposed to get every day as a healthy adult.

I'm sorry if we offended you with our discussion of bike riding (it seems like a lot of people get angry at bike riders no matter how safely and conscientiously we ride)

Edit:

basically, riding a bicycle is a situation where instead of trying to "cope" with my ADHD, I can let it run amok. Now, I enjoy having ADHD, and letting it run rampant in a situation where it actually helps me is the bee's knees!

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Desoxyn. But to get that, you're gonna need to go to a compassionate doctor. Sounds like you might need to find a new shrink.

Just out of curiosity, does the U of M mean minnesota? Do you go to fairview?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Dude, if you get hired and are drug tested, one of two things happens

1) they drug test you on site with a quick-dip test, which doesn't discriminate between amphetamines, so there's no difference between being on desoxyn or adderall (you can just show them your script bottle that says "desoxyn" and a letter from your shrink)

2) they send you to a lab which does a more thorough test which does discriminate, but you have a prescription so you pass the test anyway and all your employer hears is "you passed"

All of this is beside the point, because if you are getting drug tested you probably already have the job. If they deny you a job because of a PRESCRIPTION medication that you are LEGALLY taking, they are breaking the law, and it's lawyer time.

But hey, feel free to continue to buy into the media hysteria revolving around "KILLER METH." Don't pay any attention to the fact that this poo poo is still FDA approved for ADHD and obesity.

EDIT:

this is the type of thinking that often afflicts ADHD sufferers, myself included. We often talk ourselves out of something good because "I'm hosed up, I don't know what other people will think, gently caress it I'll just bottle it up and not deal with it."

As long as you are taking control of your life, and are confident about it, nobody's gonna second guess you!

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 28, 2011

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
^^ what he said

here's my take on the situation: as long as you let someone else's possible reaction to your medication dictate your treatment, you're never going to get to the point where you are fully comfortable with your disorder. That's just my perspective, though.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
yeah i'd say you should explain your situation to your doc and see if s/he's willing to do something with a cheap generic - dex, ritalin or adderall. Any other treatment is gonna be hella $$$.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah whenever I try to explain something regarding my ADHD to one of my [very close] friends they always reply to the tune of "haha yeah right man you're just lazy"

I'm lazy in the same way that that kid with downs over there just isnt trying hard enough to be un-retarded :colbert:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
People 'round these parts were upset because you dismissed the whole bikes thing as "HURRR ADD WANNA RIDE BIKES??!" when actually bike riding is extremely therapeutic for a large percentage of ADD individuals. It's interesting that you, as someone with ADD, would step up with such an outright and sudden statement of distaste toward the activity. It seems like you are somehow trying to be an ADD apologist, like "whoa, *I'm* not like those guys with their bikes. Gosh they are so annoying. No sir, I'm just a normal person."

As long as you don't mention to anyone that you have ADD, nobody is going to have that opinion of you. Luckily, this is a semi-anonymous internet forum, and we can share things about ourselves openly here that we might not in day to day life.

Most of the people I interact with on a day to day basis don't know I have ADD. They do know that I'm an avid cyclist. But I don't care what they know about me, because I know that at the end of the day I'm not "that weirdo that can't pay attention" but rather "that person who is a good employee, creative and outgoing, and a nice person." My actions speak for themselves, and if someone wants to go ahead and stereotype me because they know I take adderall or whatever then frankly, I don't give a poo poo!

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 7, 2011

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
In my experience it leads to an increase in anxiety and nervousness and a decrease in the effectiveness of your ADD meds, plus your brain gets kinda "foggy" from the sleeping pills. Basically you end up just getting the lovely side effects of the medications.

I feel you though, I can't take XR medications because of the insomnia. In fact at this point even IR dex/adderall keep me up, but interestingly methamphetamine (prescribed, desoxyn) does not. It is much more soothing and mellow than any other ADD stim (this is a common observation among people scripted desoxyn).

Try exercising more, but really the biggest help I've found is to get in bed BEFORE the "rebound" effect happens. The "rebound" is what you get after your meds have completely worn off and your ADD kicks back into high gear - as a kid I'd always stay up til like midnight-1 am and then be unable to get to sleep, but if I get in bed before 10 (when my medication is just wearing off) then I rarely have trouble getting to sleep.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Aculard posted:

Do you have a quiet, secluded room with no distractions that they can do homework in with a timer? I was always told to do it in my room or at the living room table, but when you have a computer a noisy tv nearby it isn't so easy. The best setup I saw was a friend who had a desk and chair with nothing else nearby and was told that when they got home they had to do all their homework before anything for fun. That way he'd do his homework at school on his free period so he could hang out with friends after school.

My parents did this, and while I at first resisted in high school, I also eventually just started doing my hw during my free periods. Even in college, I would stay in the library during breaks in class and just power through all my hw so that when I went home and instantly started wasting time on my computer/reading for pleasure/going on a bike ride, I was already done with all my work. The point to doing it in the library was the same as having a room w/just a chair and a desk - there's absolutely no distractions, so I have no reason to do anything but my work. Also I put my cell phone on silent and leave it in a pocket of my bag so that it doesn't distract.

It's so hard for people WITH ADHD to understand, let alone people without it that just have to deal with us - It's not that we don't want to do something or are lazy, it's just that everything that pops into our heads seems equally important to our minds. If we put ourselves in a situation with very few distractions, then very few things will pop into our minds.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 15, 2011

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Cumshot in the Dark posted:

After going through literally every other med, stimulant and non, my psych wrote me a script for desoxyn. None of the big chain pharmacies in my town carried it, but I finally found a small place that could order the generic for me. It feels sort of weird to have a scary looking black bottle with METHAMPHETAMINE written on it sitting around the house.
Despite the hassle, so far I'm finding it worth it. Very very mild physical side effects, and a more subtle therapeutic effect than all the other stimulant meds. No annoying hyperfocus either.

Nice! Pretty great how it helps your adhd and enables you to focus without the usual stimulant GO GO MUST WORK hyperfocus. And what's more, almost no crash and I can sleep at night!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
At this point in the semester I'm struggling to just get my poo poo done LATE. Took full course load last year, last summer and this past fall and boy do I need a break. I'm glad my "failure mode" is just not caring and not having a total meltdown. I just..... don't care right now. I want to get to the summer and just do my research!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Thanks man.

I will get all my stuff done - it just takes a ton of effort for me to get on it. I knew this would happen when I took classes last summer. It's really just one class I'm dealing with right now - I go to a super large state school and my professor and TA in my quantum physics laboratory are so terrible that basically I never know what they want to see in a lab report. Normally I have no problem getting A's but I swear every time I ask them what they want see they tell me something totally different. Seriously, during lab I can ask my TA a question and he'll basically just be like "I don't know." He asked ME a question about the lab today - he genuinely didn't know some super basic info. And the instructor doesnt seem to care. When I have a situation like this, I myself start finding it hard to care.

The main problem with this part of the year I think is that ski season is over but I can't yet go for long mountain bike rides because the trails are too wet.

BUT WAIT - the trails are open tomorrow! Salvation is at hand!

For more E/N, try this on for size: My girlfriend lives in british columbia, but I live in Minnesota. So basically I only get to see her during the summers and christmas/spring break. Uhhhh it sucks (but not enough to stop loving her!)

Edit: holy poo poo online quizzes/homework. I have a hard enough time staying off the computer when I'm trying to do homework. So now you make me go ONLINE to do my HW? And then don't provide any feedback on the stuff I turn in because it's graded by a computer program? Where does my tuition go?

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 22, 2011

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Wow, that's my exact philosophy. Word.

Thank you for reminding me that those inept idiots have no right to drag me down!

No matter what happens in this class, it'll be over in a month. What's more, I KNOW the material (as is evidenced by my test grades and the fact that I routinely help others in my lab section) - and that's what really matters to me. Plus my girl just finished her last exam of her Master's coursework today. Life is awesome regardless of my lovely professor. :)

I hope your work situation improves - with your positive attitude I'm sure it will.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Oh yeah, you better believe I've been there, done that. This woman literally will tell me "do x,y and z" and then when I do it I get like 50%. Then I bring it back to her and say "I did exactly what you said was required" and she responds with "I said THAT? No, I don't think so. You should have done a, b and c!" So then I go do a, b and c on the next lab. And then get another 50% because "I never told you to do a,b and c on this lab. I told you to do x, y and z!"

Oh, or I get "You'll have to take it up with the grader of that lab." Then you go to the person who graded the lab and they tell you that you need to go talk to the professor. Who just told you to go talk to the grader. Yeah. It's annoying as poo poo. And there's five different graders who each grade certain labs.

Actually it's pretty drat funny aside from affecting my GPA. And this woman has no office hours. Yeah, don't ask me how that even is allowed.

poo poo don't faze me though, I know that I'll be a better person when this class is over for having to deal with it.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 22, 2011

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

I feel the same way, and when I discover a class is taught by someone like that, I just drop that poo poo right away. I had a professor give me some huge lecture about how I shouldn't be studying math-based subjects because I just wasn't smart enough, and then he went on to tell me that my ADHD didn't actually exist and it would go away if I ate more peanuts! Needless to say I dropped that course, took it again from a different teacher, and got an A.

I don't take any of this personally, because I'm in school out of a genuine interest in the material - I readily grasp the complex theories behind quantum theory and advanced physics, but I can't readily translate it to math. Of course I chose physics as a course of study, even though I can literally crank out liberal arts papers like clockwork. But, as you say, some of the greatest minds of the 20th century (and probably beforehand) had the same issues.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 28, 2011

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Oh yeah, all of that is available, but the thing is if the guy is being a dick like that, then he's almost always a bad teacher in addition to being a douche. I have no problem taking notes and seeking help, but at my truly gargantuan state university the TAs are often not really all that capable of explaining what's going on - instead they just grade your papers off a key, and even the professors are just copying poo poo out of a book onto the blackboard and don't really understand what they're saying (that's what the "peanuts will heal your ADHD" prof was doing). Sometimes I'd rather just take the class next semester from someone who isn't a douchebag and actually knows the material. Luckily having ADHD diagnosis lets me take a reduced credit load and pay a correspondingly lower amount while still being considered a "full-time" student.

I'm not striving to "get better grades" but rather develop a concrete base of knowledge from which I can further my understanding of the universe. For this, I want teachers that known their poo poo.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 28, 2011

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
excedrin contains caffeine. Thus taking an excedrin whenever you get a withdrawal headache is the very definition of NOT quitting cold turkey.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Getting outside is the best cure for ADHD

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I think hes referring to this weird syrup you add to water to create a crystal light style drink. I saw a commercial for it like a week ago (thank you ADHD).

edit
google tells me it's a "water enhancer"

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Obligatory desoxyn recommendation.

Also try decaf tea, it contains just the right amount of caffeine for me - but I don't drink it until my normal meds have worn off

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Holy poo poo some of you guys need to be more accepting of others. Empathize, don't antagonize.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
^^^this post is awesome and absolutely true! Especially the part about being extremely "gifted" with super-high test scores yet being unable to finish homework on time even though you're helping others pass the same classes.

Also, as someone else said, I know it "feels" wrong to give your kid drugs, but take it from me - being adequately medicated through school makes a HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE difference in addictive tendencies later in life. Basically, people with ADHD will try to self-medicate with whatever they can if they have not had the experience of being properly medicated for their disorder by a doctor. You want your child to know what it feels like to be properly medicated so that they don't end up using alcohol/cocaine/opiates/copious marijuana to fill that void in their brain.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 11, 2011

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Your kid's teacher probably IS a total idiot, and your kid can see that and is like "this dudes retarded, I'm gonna gently caress around and have fun."

at least that's what my grade-school mentality was.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
that "ALLL RIIIIGHT" :smug: feeling will go away again. Just a heads up - its part of the honeymoon phase.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I'm not anymore, but I wouldn't be where I am now without the years of therapy I had in the past (like age 17-22). It gave me the tools I needed to be able to perform self-therapy; that is, I'm now able to step back and look at things from that point of view and figure out what needs changing without having to go talk to someone about it.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 13, 2011

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Gotta love docs like that. "WHY would they EVER prescribe you AN AMPHETAMINE?!?"

Possibly because it is far and away the most effective treatment for ADHD, supported by like 70 years of clinical use? No, all of that data must be faulty, let's try this brand new drug that is pretty much untested and doesn't work for poo poo in like ~80% of cases.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzedrine

and also I'm certain that adderall was approved before 2001 because I was on it in like 1997. (wikipedia says the brand name adderall was approved in 1996, but I know that dexedrine was available long before that because my uncle was on it in high school.)

edit

I'm also almost positive that while maybe racemic amphetamine salts (benzedrine/adderall) may have been banned for a time, dextroamphetamine has always been available for ADHD (formerly known as minimal brain dysfunction) since at least the 50s.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 14, 2011

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

signalnoise posted:

Quick question regarding medication

I have picked up from this thread that when taking stimulant medications for ADD/ADHD, some people have said that they stop drinking caffeinated drinks because it wrecks them for whatever reason. I smoke a cigar from time to time, usually late at night, and I'm wondering if anyone has some experience with nicotine and this kind of thing.

I do, and I find that while nicotine (once-in-a-while pipe or cigar for me) doesn't have the same OMG CANT SLEEP WHY DID I DO THAT effect that caffeine has, it DOES tend to make my adhd medication less effective on the day following my nicotine use.

That said, I was a pack a day smoker for ~10 years so that could also have something to do with it.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah I think an amphetamine regimen makes you super-susceptible to the effects of caffeine, even if you haven't taken the amphetamines that day. And decaf coffee can have as much caffeine as a non-decaf cup of green tea.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
getting out to ride when you've not been doing so on a regular basis is so hard sometimes. And then as soon as you get going for a few minutes you're like "drat why don't I do this poo poo more often."

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah i find it is easiest to titrate your caffeine dosage with tea.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

TheBigBad posted:

They do actually make us super human, because we are given the capacity to operate in 'normal society' plus we still retain all the assets or blessings from ADHD. I'd be much happier if I could just be me and still be able to make it in the world, but alas I'll have to settle for this.

Yeah ADHD is awesome and this is why. And also why snorting that poo poo as someone with ADHD is bad news, because then you end up with your ability to do day to day things like a productive member of society going out the window.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Lazaruise posted:

Anybody have information about ADD and the military?

I'm in the military, and I've never been diagnosed with ADD, but reading this thread I see a lot things similar to how I am, and was in highschool. Now I know you can't join the military while on ADD medicine, but what about since I'm already in? Who would I even go see about possibly seeing if I even have it or not?

While I have heard it is possible to get medicated while in the military, that pertained mainly to officers in the air force... I have heard from more than one person that if you are an enlisted person and you get diagnosed, they will often see you as "unfit" for anything other than menial tasks.

I know that when I went to talk to a recruiter about joining the navy after college (as an officer, I am studying in a field highly valuable to the navy), they were incredibly excited until the end of the meeting where I mentioned having had ADHD for my whole life. Then they basically recoiled in horror, lost all interest and rudely told me I might as well just forget it.

Obviously they don't want anyone in the military who might have the propensity to think outside the box/question authority.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah after years of not getting poo poo done I've realized that the way I have to do it is AS SOON as I think of something, like needing to vacuum the house, I need to do it immediately, because if I don't I know it'll be another week or two before the idea pops into my head again.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
^^ what he said ^^

even though I go to one of the biggest schools in the country, this can sort of be negated by always sitting in the first two rows and trying my best to participate - when done effectively, I forget all about the 200 people behind me.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Hell yeah I wouldn't trade my ADD for the world, it makes me a better person.

THAT SAID, I only feel this way because I've been treated for it long enough that I've developed my own ways of "getting past it" when I need to. And then when I don't need to get past it, I can let it rip and go mountain biking :)

Also its almost ski/snowboard season which while it is not quite the same as biking is still TOTALLY RAD and just as ADD friendly! Plus you go faster and there's no preset trail you have to follow = ADD heaven.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Dolemite posted:

Speaking of effects of medication, anyone with experience on Adderall ever get a feeling like you can't focus because the drug over stimulated you?

I'm not really sure how to describe it or if over stimulated is the right expression. I'll feel like my mind is focused, yet can't settle down on a thought. It's different from my normal, un-medicated brain.

It feels like this heightened state of energy and I can't control it. Now, I don't always feel like this. But it happens sometimes and it's pretty annoying.

I don't even know if such a drug exists, but my ideal drug would have:

- The ability to let me focus on something

- A smooth ramp up effect from working to not working

- A smooth ramp down effect when it's wearing off.

- None of that overly stimulated feeling

- Consistency. I feel there are days where the drug isn't doing anything. (Maybe I need to take more drug holidays though..)

- Okay, there's no way to type this without sounding like a druggie, so gently caress it. I like the feeling Adderall gives me that everything will be alright in life. It helps me stop worrying about all the bad that can happen. I like its mood enhancing effects (feeling calm and happy). I worry about switching meds just because I REALLY like this aspect of Adderall.

So given all the above, is there anything close to my list? Oh, and my insurance sucks. So, this wonder pill needs to be a generic.

Desoxyn. A lot of the overly stimulated feeling comes from the l-amph in adderall which in my humble, not-a-doctor opinion makes adderall great if you want to get high as gently caress and stay up all night pounding beers, or if you want to be that annoying rear end in a top hat in class bouncing his leg up and down like a jackhammer and gnawing like a beaver on his pen, but terrible if you want to, you know, have it be therapeutic. As you describe, you have the d-amph trying its best to help you focus, but then the l-amph is like YO MAN LETS GO RUN A MILE poo poo YEAH gently caress SITTIN STILL.

However, even dexedrine has this problem to a lesser degree. Which is why the drug you have just described is desoxyn. However, the consistency issue you speak of is present with basically every drug, and comes down to

-your mindset for the day - sometimes drugs just can't help ya that much, it happens to everyone; we all have those days
-exercise/diet: if you haven't eaten enough or have eaten the "wrong" things (lovely food, caffeine)

Oh, and the feeling calm and happy part? If you are medicated appropriately, then you should feel this even after the drug wears off, because you know you've gotten your poo poo done while it was working and that puts your mind at ease.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 18, 2011

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

blueblaze posted:

I'm in a bit of a pickle.

I was diagnosed with adult ADHD this summer and prescribed with Vyvanse by a psychiatrist who specializes in ADHD. After that I moved out of town and stopped seeing him because honestly I am not 100% sold on my having ADHD. I still have a bottle of pills left so I've been taking them (usually just one pill per day, each pill being 30mg) on days when I need an extra boost.

Typically I get a high for about 2 hours max. I feel giddy and somewhat euphoric. I see a small increase in my ability to focus, but not significant. But as the drug wears off I am left feeling very uncomfortable. I would describe the feeling as having to hold your breath while your heart is racing. Any negative feelings are magnified during this stage and it's very easy for me to get into a depressive funk.

I remember when I was still seeing the psych, he kept asking me to up the dosage every week until I was at 100 - 120 mg or so but still I wasn't seeing any real big changes.

Could my experience with the drug suggest that I may not actually have ADHD? I understand that people without ADHD who take amphetamines get a high and can focus somewhat better but it's not world-changing the way it is for a real ADHD person.

I'm really, really dreading having to go back to see him because I sort of disappeared out of the blue without explaining. It had to do with the bad vibe I got from this doc. He didn't have the highest opinion of the people he treated saying that oftentimes people with ADHD can't get it together enough to take the pills on a daily basis. He was asking for $1000+ in fees to cover services like calling in prescriptions and phone consultations, etc. There is also a big part of me who doesn't want to have this label stuck on me. Having to take pills makes me feel like I'm disabled or debilitated without them. I don't mean to disparage people who truly have ADHD but I honestly think I was better off not knowing I had it.

So I know none of you can properly help me but I need advice on what to do.

(I plan to get another assessment done soon, through the psychiatric centre at my university - just an FYI).

You are what you make yourself. Just because you take pills every day doesn't make you stupid. Presidents and other world leaders have been on daily amphetamines.

That said, go see a different psychiatrist. That dude you were seeing sounds like he sucks, nobody should be taking 100+mg of amphetamines and a doctor who would recommend it sounds like a quack.

Protip: if you're already someone diagnosed with ADHD, you can take that diagnosis and go to pretty much any psych to get prescriptions.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
yep ritalin suuuuuuucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

mattdev posted:

I do have a question, about alcohol. Do any of you drink and take stimulants? He mentioned on the phone that I may need to quit drinking depending on the medication, and this has me a bit worried. I work in the alcohol industry and my job pretty much depends on me drinking quite often (almost never in excess, just a drink or 2 about 5 nights a week). Is this going to be a serious problem?

I don't drink at all. Others do. If it really is just one or two, you should be ok. But the meds might make it really easy to have "just one more," so you need to keep that in mind. And really, drinking five nights a week is probably exacerbating your ADHD.