Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Qu Appelle posted:

(I nearly forgot to add my Inspirational High School Story: I had to take a Civics class. Which I adored, but was doing horribly in. See, timed tests are the bane of my existence, and despite me KNOWING the different branches of government, how a bill becomes law, etc, I couldn't get that down in 42 minutes because the brain was still grinding through reading the questions and processing the answers while everyone else was happily filling out the little bubble questions about James Madison. The teacher knew there was a massive disconnect here because I was also speaking in class because I knew the answers. So he had me write take home op-ed essays on topics he picked instead. One a week for the rest of the semester. That? That I could do. 50 hand written pages later, I got an A.)

I had a similar experience, luckily enough with several subjects and a couple different teachers. In the end, I didn't require accommodations during exams. I did need different explanations from the teacher than other people. My brain worked differently, remembering things in a different order with varying importance. Changing how I studied and how the concepts were explained made a difference. The experience of realizing this with my teachers completely changed my understanding of myself.

My geometry teacher was especially patient with me. She helped me visualize and organize the formulas slightly different than the book was teaching. I did the same homework as everyone else, but studied differently. This kept the formulas clear in my head, allowing more focused reading of the questions. By the end of the year I was almost an A+ geometry student, a big turnaround from not turning in homework and bombing tests. I went on to get a 5 on the AP calc exam and majoring in Math in college.

I also had help from my Latin teacher. Similar situation. I could never focus on vocabulary drills so I forgot declensions and cases often. I usually knew what endings to use in a sentence, but only objectively like "the gerundive" but not what letters made up the gerundive. My teacher figured this out, since I could read Latin rather well. She also helped me 'learn' to study in a way that helped me most. I ended up taking the AP in Latin, too, and a few college courses. I almost majored in it, but I remembered how much easier 20 algebra problems are than translating 20 lines of Ovid. That was an easy decision after that realization.

I've tried discussing this sort of thing with my GPs before, but only one had a response and that response was to trial-and-error pick-a-drug out of his catalog. Trying to find the right dosage and the right drug that way seemed really stupid. Especially when the side-effects sucked so much. The withdrawal from that experiment hosed me up for several years.

So where do I go for the best help? Psychologists, therapists, or what? How do I find any information about one doctor or another, or find good referrals?

anonumos fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Nov 26, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

mrfart posted:

Is there a psychological term, other than procrastination, for people who always start doing something less important than the thing they’re supposed to be doing, or that is extremely urgent? My brother does this to an extent far beyond the comical/maddening.

Executive functioning.