Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

peepsalot posted:

I recently got diagnosed with ADHD at 35, and my psychiatrist has started me on adderall IR 5mg, 2x a day.

Is this basically a bullshit dose for a ~190lb male or is dosing too variable from person to person to say.

The first day on it, I actually felt pretty well focused, and even seemed like I had a little bit of heart racing or palpitations, but after the first day I didn't notice either effect so much. Then, for a few days in the first week, I became very drowsy and had to nod off for a couple hour nap in the middle of my work day, shortly after taking my second pill of the day(napping was sooo comfortable, normally I would never nap, and feel worse after getting up from one). That effect also seems to have gone away. I think I may have taken them slightly too close together (like 4hrs apart instead of 6 or so) on those days. I don't know why they don't just say how many hours apart to spread them on the prescription,but it just says "one in the morning and one at noon", which obviously doesn't make sense if you wake up at 11 or so some days. I've been on it for 2wks now. I think its helping a little but kinda hard to tell honestly, it just wasn't as huge an effect as I expected from what I read of other people's experiences.

The doctor was wary of putting me on stimulants because my blood pressure is a little high. So I guess I'm also a little concerned about upping the dosage, but I think I higher dose would make sense for me? I will see my doctor in 2 more wks to talk about it. I had tried Strattera for 1 month before the adderall but the side effects were unacceptable.

e: the other reason i'm wondering if its a bullshit dose is that the first 2 pharmacies i went to did not carry that strength, and said no one had ordered it in the past year, and had to call around to find a pharmacy that had it. I also assumed XR would be the more typical prescription instead of IR, but didn't question it because it was dificult enough to get to this point.

Seems a tad low to me, but starting low and gradually working your way up is absolutely the right way to do things for someone starting stims, particularly if they have a history of high blood pressure. Dosage is VERY dependent on the person, and you're looking for a sweet spot that minimizes the ADHD symptoms while keeping the stimulant side effects minimal.

For the record, I'm similar to you (mid 30s, male, 200ish pounds and don't tolerate Stratera very well) and my most effective dose is in the 10mg to 15mg range. In my experience, the active time for a dose is 4 or 5 hours.

The "crash" you're describing is very common with Adderall. I had a similar problem when I was on IR, but switching to the extended release has made it much less noticeable. The extended release caps are basically two IR pills put together that trigger at different times and there's kind of a ramp up and ramp down that mellows the crash a bit. So if you normally take 10mg IR, you take a 20mg ER when you get up in the morning and you're usually set until the evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

With regards to breaks, I've found what works best for me is a fairly strict pomodoro type thing where I keep a timer and switch between defined work intervals and rest intervals until a thing gets done. This is entirely down to my tendency to just sort of go with the flow of what I'm doing provided it's relatively low intensity -- if I'm not disciplined about my rest period I'll just gently caress off for an extended period of time and then it's really hard to get started on what I was working on again (starting is the hardest thing for me usually).

The trick is getting the interval right. If the rest period is too short it doesn't work as a rest period, but if it's too long I run into the same problem of "starting inertia" I normally have. Similarly, if the work period is too long I find my concentration drifting and I get off task anyway, and if it's too short I can't get into the flow state where I'm doing my best work.

For me, this works out to 20 minutes on, 10 minutes off. Sometimes 5 minutes off if what I'm doing is really engaging or I'm feeling particularly focused. I can normally keep going on something for a few hours with that schedule. It's also usually more productive than if I just sort of futz around with what I'm working on with no structure, because I can usually be really "on" for the 20 minute work period and if I stick to the schedule I'm working twice as much as I'm slacking off.

Now the trouble is really getting started, because once I'm going I can usually finish stuff in a reasonable amount of time with this technique.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

Don't take Adderall on an empty stomach. This goes for most stimulants.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

If you don't have insurance, you can buy generic and shop around -- pricing is in no way consistent. But it's probably going to be at least 100 bucks. If you've got good insurance, it's not too bad. I pay $10 for a 30 day supply of generic, a little bit more if I want name brand.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

When I got diagnosed again most recently. I took an attention test that was basically clicking a button when certain shapes popped up on screen for 15 minutes while a camera monitored my head movements. I failed this miserably. There was also the normal 1-5 scale test on how often certain things caused me trouble.

There was a small fee -- I think it cost about $50 more than a normal office visit.

My first diagnosis as a child was a bit different -- I actually had to have a bunch of electrodes attached to my head to read my brainwaves while I slept. My understanding is they don't do this one anymore because they've since found that it doesn't actually measure anything. The 80s were a dark time for neuroscience.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

Delivery mechanisms differ greatly when it comes to generics, too.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

Yes, to the point that I was put in speech therapy when I was a child. I didn't really stutter in the theatrical sense, but I did exhibit a choppy speech pattern with a lot of stops and starts. Now I mostly have a handle on it, but sometimes when I'm tired or excited I lose the train of my sentence and just kind of stop while my brain recollects itself.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

I'm not super productive when I'm not taking Adderall but that probably has more to do with the fact that I have loving ADHD than withdrawals. It felt like I was floating in a big demotivational fog most of the time before I started taking it, too, and it just seems worse because I have another state to compare it to in more recent memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

I hate exercise so much.