Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

I'm on 5 mg of Adderall, long acting. And, like others said, it's not a radical change. It's much more subtle than that.

Some things I noticed right away:

1. It was much easier for me to start a task.
2. When that task was started, it was easier for me to stay on task until I got it done or completed a significant amount.
3. It was easier for me to observe when I strayed off task (like writing a reply in SA in the ADHD megathread instead of work), and thus easier for me to get back on task.
4. When things didn't go as planned, I'm much more able to just keep my wits about me.
5. It also has an antidepressant effect with me as well, so the 'negative brain chatter' is gone when the drug is in my system.

Like I said, it's subtle - but I started to notice those changes after my very first dose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Ellen Page Reactor posted:

Well I just took my first 15 mg of XR. Should I expect to feel anything the first day?

You might, you might not - it won't magically turn you into a work machine.

But, as you go about your day and do things, you may notice that you can stay with them longer and get more done.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Insomnia: Yup, that's a medication thing. I had it as well. It's a little better now that my body's used to the drug, but I still have problems falling asleep at times.

Luckily, meditation seems to help me get to sleep.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

gently caress you aurora posted:

Ritalin LA 10mg for me. It's been amazing, Concerta was a pain because I think their dosing was too high and give me anxiety and GERD. I found that on the Ritalin it did the exact same thing where it's had this anti-depressant effect, I'm less worried, I'm more even-keel, I don't get flustered so easily and now generally keep my cool. High five.

Yay. High Five to you too!

It took a while for me to find the right medication, but I'm so thankful I did. My only problem now? My job and insurance. I'm going to talk to my doc about this when I see him in early March, but I have a potential issue coming up with my access to the medication and my job. See, my job ends late June. I've known that for a year, and the job loss itself doesn't bother me - I do contract work, and it's part of the gig. However, this is the first time I've been on a medication that needs to be refilled every month; all my other meds I just get refilled in three month increments.

So, I have a question. But first, the backstory: Let's say I lose my job June 30th. It'll take a couple of weeks or so for the COBRA paperwork to be generated and sent to me, and a couple more weeks or so for that to be processed after I send in my payment for the insurance. Then, a week or two before my insurance gets reinstated. Now, despite being unemployed, I'd like to continue taking the Adderall. But I'll have a 6 week gap that'll show that I'm essentially uninsured. So if I get it filled then, I'll have to pay full price. On the name brand version of the drug, because my insurance, for some bizarro world reason, won't pay for the generic version.

So, question: Can my doc write me a prescription for 90 days worth of medication? Or, are there other ways around this? Because, what I've been doing is taking 'holidays' on the weekends (to no ill effect) and hoarding the medication in preparation of getting laid off. I also have it timed to fill an Adderall script the week I get laid off, so I'll have at least 30 days worth at the end.

Thanks, tweakers, for making my legitimate drugs so hard to get :argh:

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Paramemetic posted:

Some states allow MDs to write prescriptions for 90 day supplies on C-IIs, and some states allow MDs to write three prescriptions dated forward (i.e., 1-25-10, 2-25-10, 3-25-10) to be turned in in order.

He already does that, which is awesome. I've been seeing him for 10 years now, so we have a good history going back.

I just may talk to him about possibly seeing if I can take it on an 'as needed' basis while unemployed, as now I primarily take it for work. I don't want to have to do that, however. But we'll see. Absolute worst case - insurance will reimburse me when it kicks in again, but that adds another layer and delay in getting a reimbursement (and one more thing to remember!)

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Stofoleez posted:

The life skills like time management and stuff are actually what I NEED, I'm already good at sitting still and not talking out of turn most of the time from years of practice. :I

I'd recommend the therapy for the Life Skills aspect.

No, it's not going to do much for the symptoms themselves. But, it can do wonders in learning how to cope with the symptoms, and to work around them.

I found it immensely helpful for life planning, and time management skills. For instance, I have a hard time reading anything of a significant length due to the ADHD. I'm also in a night class taking SQL, which is kicking my butt.

The med I'm on increases my attention span, and also how much I retain. However, the time management skills I learned in therapy taught me to start my readings for class early on, to pace myself, etc.

Speaking of class, I wonder how much overlap there is between ADHD and possibly undiagnosed learning disorders, or if my meds are off schedule?

So, story time :allears:. Ever since I was a very little kid, I've had problems processing things that need 'logic', which is the best way to describe it. Whenever I'm in math classes, most science classes, Foreign Languages of all types, Logic classes, Programming classes, SQL and the like, something weird happens. It also happened when I tried studying for the LSAT. I can, for the most part, understand the concepts that are being discussed and keep up with the readings and lectures. If it's something I can spatially picture in my head, all the better. However, when it comes to having me do the math or science itself, especially if it's all from memory (like writing out some code or a math formula), my brain. Just. Shuts. Down. It's like everything just goes *completely* blank, and I can't think of *anything* - it's like someone took a Hoover to my head. If you were to ask me what my name was, or who the President is, I probably wouldn't be able to answer without seriously thinking about it. I have NO IDEA what this is, and it's freaking me out, because now it's causing havoc in my SQL class, which I actually enjoy and really want to learn. (Of course, I'm taking the class at night after work, and I'm fighting off a chest cold, so those factors could also be making a difference.)

I know that I probably have some Dyslexia issues; I am horrible at left/right, for instance, and I didn't learn what < vs > was in terms of logic until literally last week. I also know that I have some possible word retrieval issues, particularly if I'm talking. I end up going 'uhm' a lot, and not being able to come up with the names of common things, particularly when stressed out or in a hurry. However, nothing except the ADHD has been definitively diagnosed. And I had Speech Therapy for 7 years in Middle and High School, but I don't remember any of these issues coming up. Luckily, the SQL class is graded solely on attendance, and I haven't missed any lessons, but still - it is amazingly frustrating. I even talked to my teacher about it after class to reassure her that I'm not slacking off, but no, I'm really not able to complete the lessons in class like everyone else. I even do the readings ahead of time and use a highlighter :geno:. So, any clues?

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 10, 2010

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

WELL ISN'T THIS AWKWARD!

My Adderall seems to be giving me diarrhea :saddowns: It's interfering, anybody have advice?

:ohdear:

Definitely talk to your doctor, maybe you need to be put on another med? Or they can give you some dietary advice.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

dogmaan posted:

My life experience pretty much matches everybody else's here

I went to my doctor and was told that adult ADD/ADHD doesn't exist, and I should see a counsellor to learn "life skills", loving vapid oval office bitch...grr, I was nearly crying in front of her, giving her my life story, and she was all like "well what can I do about it?"

I Don't know bitch, that's why I came to you!!!

:downs: "well what can I do about it?"
:nyd: "Gimme the drugs that my brain demands so that I can function effectively as a productive member of society."

Was this a GP or family doc? A lot of them aren't really prepared for the intrigue and mystery that is Adult ADHD, especially if you're limping along and functioning at some sort of basic level. I'd recommend a Psychiatrist. If this is a Psychiatrist, I'd recommend a different one, preferably one with experience in this.

Good luck, and feel free to ask any questions you have to us.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Hey! Freebie!

Have ADHD? Think you have ADHD? Want a free Action Guide and Tips for Managing your Horrid Disorganized Life?

Shire Pharmaceuticals would like to give you a guide for free. The marketing from them is extra. I signed up for one; I figured out that it wouldn't hurt and I opted out of getting info about other products that they have.

https://www.adhdactionguide.com/registration.aspx in case others are interested. If anything, it's free and just might help. :shobon:

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Hey cool. Doing that.

Also I managed to find some of my old school files from elementary school through early high-school. Literally everything written about me by a teacher mentions either a "lack of motivation for long-term" activities, or a lack of attention. Also one of my teachers wrote that I had wasted my entire year.

I wish somebody had noticed that pattern.

I loved the teacher that wrote that I "loved group activities" and "prefers to be alone." On the same report card. For the same term. For the same class. :psyduck:

(But hey - at least it was a change from the old chestnuts "needs to pay more attention to her work" and "can't sit still")

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

orinth posted:

So what's the general consensus on which doctor to go see? I have new insurance and I moved, so I'll be seeing a new PCP once I get back home. So should I talk to the PCP about it or should I just schedule an appointment with a psychiatrist?

I'd see the PCP first; they may be able to recommend a Psychiatrist for you.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Well, saw the doc two weeks or so ago.

He definitely thinks that I have Auditory Processing issues, related to the ADHD. he also said that the first step in this would be to get a hearing test done. But that the hearing and processing gets 'better' on the Adderall was a pretty telling sign. It was good to have someone listen to this symptom, however, and verify that this is something real and could potentially be an issue.

(And I want to get that hearing test done, but right now there's more pressing medical issues that I'm dealing with. So it'll wait.)

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

taylor posted:

Does anyone happen to know the neural basis for the auditory processing problems with people with ADHD?

No idea - but you folk with access to research papers and the like can pull up this one that explains a connection.

Abstract here: http://spi.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/17/3/235

School Psychology International, Vol. 17, No. 3, 235-252 (1996) posted:

Relationship between ADHD and Central Auditory Processing Disorder
A Review of the Literature
Cynthia A. Riccig

University of Alabama, USA

George W. Hynd

University of Georgia, USA

It is increasingly apparent that differential diagnosis of children with Attention-deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is, at best, difficult, with a majority of children identified as ADHD also diagnosed with co-occurring developmental learning disorders. Most notably, children with ADHD have been found to have a high prevalence of language problems. Research has further indicated that children with ADHD demonstrate significant difficulty on tasks used to assess central auditory processing skills and that these difficulties are ameliorated by the use of stimulant medication. Early findings raised the question of whether ADHD and Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) can be differentiated, or if they represent a singular disorder. Literature highlignting the similarity of psychoeducational and behavioral sequelae of children with CAPD and those with ADHD are presented. Studies of central auditory processing abilities in children diagnosed as having ADHD as well as a more recent study investigating the prevalence of ADHD in children diagnosed as CAPD are reviewed as well. Given the overlap in etiology and symptomatology of ADHD and auditory/linguistic disorders such as CAPD, the need for a collaborative effort on the part of professionals who work with these children (school psychologists, speech-language pathologists, audiologists) in diagnosis and intervention planning as well as other implications of this research are presented.

:allears:

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Danith posted:

Who would you talk to about this, a doctor or a psychologist? I've been noticing I have been having those audio processing issues more and more lately. The scariest experience was when I was at moms for Christmas and my brother was joking around with me while I was taking me shoes off. I was looking right at him while he was saying something. I saw his lips move, and sound came out but I didn't 'hear' any of it.

O HAI. I get that. Yeah. I hate that.

I forgot - do you already have a diagnosis of ADHD, and the auditory processing issues are on top of it? Or do you not have a diagnosis of ADHD yet?

If you're just curious about the auditory processing issues, I'd consult your primary doctor first, and they can arrange for you to get a general hearing exam, just to make sure that nothing else is going on that could be causing your hearing issues. If it turns out to be normal, and you still have auditory issues? Then you can take our hearing results to the Psychiatrist.

Oh - and for those of you out there wondering if you have it or not, it's worth it (if you have the means) to get it checked out and Officially Diagnosed if you indeed have ADHD. Why? So that you can do what I had to do this week - which is talk to my boss and request accommodations for said ADHD. Because, no matter what I'm doing, people come up to me and talk to me ALL THE TIME. Which makes me lose my concentration. Which makes it all the harder for me to get back on track. Which makes me all flustered. And then I forget what the hell I was working on to begin with. And, once I finally get on track? I get interrupted again. And then my coworkers wonder why I'm behind everyone else, and why I'm constantly asking for clarification as to what I'm supposed to be doing in the first place. And then they wonder why I'm making stern annoyed faces at them. Oh - and this is with me taking my Adderall.

Well now, if I need to concentrate, I get to wear headphones and ignore the people around me. If they want my attention? They need to send me an email. And if I *really* need concentration, I can work in a neighboring office in solitude. :colbert:

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 4, 2010

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

1. If he actually does have ADHD, don't be afraid to give him medicine for it. I have a feeling my educational years would have been a lot smoother if I had actually been given the Ritalin the doc recommended.

2. Be on the look out for auditory issues - if he seems to be not listening, etc. I really prefer things to be written down instead of being told to me orally. Your son might be the same way. And even if he doesn't have that subissue, writing things down for him to refer to would be good.

And to the person having issues at work - have your boss email you the tasks you need to do. I request that of my boss and my coworkers, and things generally go a lot smoother that way. No confusion, no missing of items, and you have something to go back to for reference.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

SquirrelFace posted:

To all the people not diagnosed until adulthood, did you ever feel a sense of loss over all the things you could have done, but didn't because of ADHD? Looking back at all the lessons and clubs and activities I dropped out of as a kid makes me feel like I missed my chance to be a good pianist or dancer or whatever. If I had stuck with Spanish instead of taking up three other languages, maybe I would be fluent. If I had stayed in gymnastics, maybe I would be an athlete. I know its crazy to let that stuff get me down now and I am hopeful, but I'm just angry about it.

Essay forthcoming.

Loss and/or resentment? Somewhat. The biggest aspect of resentment for me is school; my stepdad in particular was very much of the mindset that 'Grades are Everything'. He, along with my mom, also didn't want to medicate me for the 'Actually Diagnosed by a Real Doctor Look - She Really Really Does Have loving ADHD, she needs Ritalin OMG now' ADHD because "Speed is bad." So consequently, I did bad in school - over and over. And would get punished for it - over and over. Even though they withheld the one thing that would have probably let me excel. Oh? Also? I didn't know I had ADHD as a child *when I was a child*, so when it hit time for college, and my coping skills completely deteriorated, I couldn't go to Student Services once I was an adult and say "Hey - I don't have an attention span, fork over the speed." I didn't learn of the childhood diagnosis until my mom came across some old records...when I was 34. So overall, I felt I was set up for failure, at least academically. And the sensation of being punished for something that's wildly out of your control? Also not healthy. It's like punishing a mute person because they can't sing Opera.

Yeah. That would have helped way back when. Thanks, guys. No, really.

And now? I don't talk to my stepdad.

So now do I deal with it? It sounds very cosmic and Zen, but by concentrating on the Now. I can't really go back and change history, but I can concentrate on what's going on with my life currently. The first step in putting everything back together was getting that Official Diagnosis of Adult ADHD a few years ago, and then now getting that treated. And discovering treatments that *actually* work, at least for me.

Now that that all is happening? I'm finding out two very important things:

1. I have the energy to sort out what I want out of life, and the willingness to go after it. In my case, it's taking Programming classes. At least for now. Having that fog clear away has been an immense help.

2. Also, knowing that I'm at least doing something now about it all. For years, I did Software Testing, and I was really unhappy - I wanted to break out of the rut, but I didn't know how. And I was paralyzed by indecision, because I couldn't sort out my thoughts. Now, I at least have somewhat of a path, and am working towards it. They may just be Continuing Education night classes at the local Community College, but I already have one SQL class down, and I'll have two C# Programming classes done by the end of June. Over the summer, I may finally tame the dragon known as Math, because it turns out that you really do need math skills to advance in Computer Science.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Zhentar posted:

I will recommend some caution with this - the stimulant drugs are also appetite suppressants. Young children taking them may not eat as much as they need to, stunting their development.

Personally, I don't think the drugs would have helped me much at that age. Instead of being the smart kid bored to tears not paying attention because he has ADHD, I would have been the smart kid not paying attention because he's bored to tears. But, obviously, everyone is different, and the risks associated with the drugs are worth it if it allows your kid to be successful and avoid a lifetime of depression thinking they are just a worthless lazy rear end in a top hat who can't pay attention to anything because they are an inadequate failure.

Oh yeah. I agree with your points.

Every drug has side effects, and sometimes the side effects outweigh the benefit of the medication. But it should at least be an option.

When I was a kid, I was diagnosed, but my parents also opted not to medicate me - consequently, nearly my entire schooling was a mess. I can understand their reasoning, as they were afraid of the side effects, but as the one affected, I wanted to at least give the drugs a shot to see if they helped or not.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Hobo Tickler posted:

I haven't been keeping up with the issue, but when I was a kid 'ADHD kids' were known for having an awesome attention span for things they wished to participate in - is this not the case now?

Not necessarily.

I don't get the 'awesome attention span' when I'm doing something/reading something/watching something interesting or exciting, as opposed to boring. It may be extended a little longer, but not by an awesome amount. However, hyperfocusing can and does kick in. And sometimes it has nothing to do with how 'awesome' the subject matter is.

To wit: While unmedicated, I can get bored and distracted at a metal concert, watching some of my favorite bands. I can also concentrate on and hyperfocus in on, of all things, working on a database detailing out the new infrastructure for our lab machines at work. :nyd: Now you tell me which task sounds more fun. (Hint - it's not going to be the database work.)

And both of these things? Happened in the past month. But again, I tend to listen to licensed doctors who specialize in ADHD in adults for my medication and treatment choices, instead of angry dweebs on the Internet.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

So, my programming night classes are starting up again on Tuesday, and I'm figuring out what to do about my Adderall dosage. I'd be taking the classes after work, which also complicates things.

Here's my previous schedule:

Get up around 8. Take my morning asthma and antispastic meds (Advair, Baclofen). Leave for work around 8:30. Get to work at 10 am. Around 9:30, on the bus, take my 5mg of Adderall XR so that'll kick in by the time I get to work. Have drug peter out after 7-8 hours or so - which is perfect, because by that time I'm heading home and I don't need to think.

Now, I tried that before when taking a night class, and by the time the class started, the drug had completely worn off. However, taking it later in the day wouldn't work sometimes, because I'd completely forget. At this point the school is more important than the work; I really want to learn programming and I get laid off in two months anyway. However, work is chaotic, and I find that the Adderall helps a lot with that, esp. with the audio processing.

So what should I do? I'm going to see if I can get into the habit of taking it around 1-2 pm, but that then shoots my entire morning out of the water. I'll be doing this work + night school thing for two months, BTW. The night classes are only two nights a week, but it is intense material.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Re: fine motor control - oh Gods yes.

Example - when I was in the 1st Grade, we had to print out our names 10 times before we could go to recess. Both first and last name. Now, both of these names together only total 9 letters; I had one of the shortest names in the class.

In the entire 50 minute period of class, I only got about 6.3 names down before I had a massive meltdown because I just couldn't hold the pencil anymore. It physically hurt me to try to write in all the little muscles, and my hand just wasn't having it anymore. I was also legendarily horrid in any and all things PE - with the noted exception of basketball, for some bizarre reason. I adored it, and could play it well. Being a tiny little twirp of a girl, I could steal away the ball like nobody's business.

(Of course, I can't track these down solely to ADHD issues; I also have a couple of Movement Disorders that could also be responsible for my wacky hijinks in all areas muscular. And even though they weren't diagnosed until I was an adult, they're known to start in childhood.)

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 19, 2010

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Rushputin posted:

I'm the only one in my family with a diagnosis (although I'm currently trying to pressure my brother into at least seeing his college's therapist, because I don't want him to fall into crippling depression like I did), but ADHD is extremely hereditary, and I think both my brothers have a lot of similar symptoms, and my mother told me that she had similar experiences in the past. My father doesn't talk about things like that a lot, but I'd guess that it comes mostly from my mother's side in my case, her side of the family seems to have more excentrics. If anything, I got the introvertiveness from my father's side.

Nearly everyone on my dad's side of the family has ADHD; it's so prevalent and known in the family that it's known as 'Being a (insert my last name here)'. However, AFAIK, only my cousin and I are diagnosed and being successfully treated for it.

And hey, fellow Scando-American. Norwegian-American here. We have depression issues, but I don't think our family can trace it back to that. However, our undying love for any and all things coffee? Yes. Oh God yes.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Socket Ryanist posted:

Please, do tell us which polytheistic religion you practice. I can't wait to hear!

Father, Son, and Holy Ghost :)

So, I have another question about Adderall XL - what's it's half life? Because I've been trying to remember to diligently take it every day, instead of half-assing it and only taking it when I 'feel' I need it - and it's been making a difference. Not only am I working more productively, but I'm finding that I'm definitely more patient in my day-to-day interactions with people, particularly my coworkers. Which, yay, because I've been feeling that the ADHD has been making me an ogre at work, and I don't like being an ogre. I felt so bad about it that I went to talk to my boss about coping skills for it. So I'm wondering if the drug just completely peters out after a day, or if some lingers into the next day.

I do know that when I skip a dose, either by accident or on purpose, I don't feel the full effects of being unmedicated until the second day or so.

Also, does anyone have experience with Adderall (or other drugs of this type) and COBRA? I'm losing my job at the end of June (I knew about this for a while now, so it's not a surprise), and I'll be taking out COBRA. However, there's always a lag between when you get the paperwork, send in the payment, and having the benefits kick in again. And I don't want to have to pay for the meds out of pocket and then get a reimbursement - that's a pain. I have it timed so that I'll get a month's worth of meds on my last week of employment, but that's only 30 days worth of meds.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Paramemetic posted:

COBRA is just a policy for extension of your current health plan, it is not a health plan of its own. You will have the same experience with Adderall and your insurance under COBRA as you have now. Good luck finding a new job.

Thanks.

I've had COBRA before, so I know what it is. Just how to work with the timing. Because there is a lag between when you get your paperwork and when the policy retroactively kicks in - during that period? You're considered as 'uninsured'; I've had to see doctors and fill prescriptions during this period, and it's no fun.

I may just talk to the pharmacist; they may have ideas as to how to deal with this. I'm sure they run into this situation a fair bit.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

I'm assuming you're in the US.

It might be worth it to try to talk to your Student Health Center, especially if you have a previous diagnosis of ADHD to see what they can do for you.

Also, if your on you're parents insurance still, or have health insurance, it might be worth it to see a GP if you don't have a student health center. Good luck!

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Hey look!

The NYTimes just did an article on Auditory Processing Disorder! And it even has its own celebrity spokesperson, Rosie O'Donnell :dance: :toot: :hellyeah:

Link here: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/26/little-known-disorder-can-take-a-toll-on-learning/?hpw

New York Times posted:

Parents and teachers often tell children to pay attention — to be a “good listener.” But what if your child’s brain doesn’t know how to listen?

That’s the challenge for children with auditory processing disorder, a poorly understood syndrome that interferes with the brain’s ability to recognize and interpret sounds. It’s been estimated that 2 to 5 percent of children have the disorder, said Gail D. Chermak, an expert on speech and hearing sciences at Washington State University, and it’s likely that many cases have gone undiagnosed or misdiagnosed.

The symptoms of A.P.D. — trouble paying attention and following directions, low academic performance, behavior problems and poor reading and vocabulary — are often mistaken for attention problems or even autism.

But now the disorder is getting some overdue attention, thanks in part to the talk-show host Rosie O’Donnell and her 10-year-old son, Blake, who has A.P.D.

If it prompts you to log in in order to read the article, just make one. It's worth it.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Philosopher King posted:

Hey guys, are we still completely barred from joining the armed forces? Being ADD sure crushed a lot of dreams I had when I was younger.

I don't think we are barred for solely having ADHD.

However, we are barred if we are on medication commonly used to treat ADHD, such as Ritalin. Or, if you show symptoms of uncontrolled ADHD.

More info here: http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/asthma.htm

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Well, awesome.

I have a new boss - and right out of the gate I got the 'you're too disorganized, and you need to work on shifting gears to different tasks faster.' talk - like NEARLY EVERY OTHER TIME I'VE BEEN AT A JOB IN MY ENTIRE WORKING ADULT LIFE. Annoying.

However, unlike those other times, I responded by putting a call into my employee/employer rep to discuss why I am this way, and no, really - I'm trying to work to the best of my abilities here. I also put a call into my doc, because apparently the only way I'm going to become a productive, working member of :patriot: society is being constantly cracked out on speed. And apparently my current dose of Adderall isn't enough.

So, that's my situation, and also a question. Since ADHD is apparently a problem no matter what the hell I do, when do I tell employers this? My last employer was one of the few where I didn't have this criticism - and that's because she had things documented and organized within an inch of her life, which left mo mysteries or surprises on my job. Current boss? It's very 'seat of the pants'. And I don't do well in that, despite my best efforts. So, I'm at a loss here.

:geno:

(Oh, update: Had a good talk with my rep, and he knows my difficulties with stuff like this. I also got it clarified that this was a 'hey - just a heads up that we've noticed this, see what you can do about it' and not a 'if you mess up again, you're fired'. He also agreed that next time around? I get placed at a contract where the work is more organized and delineated. So overall, I'm satisfied with how that discussion went. And I do have an appt. in a couple of weeks to tweak the drug stuff.)

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 6, 2010

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Nannypea posted:

Questions! I was directed here from this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2986167

The current thought is to move up to 20mg XL a day but with it pointed out that my word & speech issues are worse I believe we need to try something else. Has anyone had any issues with word/speech with any of the drugs? Have you noticed it makes a difference how/when you take them? I have been taking all my pills at one time in the morning, would splitting the adderall out and taking early/after help?

Just looking for any tips you have.

Glad you found us! :toot:

You know, it's interesting you mentioned the word retrieval issues. Turns out that I get that when stressed. However, I don't have any issues with seizures or brain tumors, just ADHD, auditory processing disorders, possible learning disabilities involving math (and I'm in Software Engineering, so I'm around math all the time :suicide: ), and depression.

For a decade, I've been on Wellbutrin SR or XL. It controlled my depression sortof, and my ADHD sort of. Then my insurance started being butts about the entire 'taking the name brand' thing (as the generic didn't work), so my doc and I took me off of it. Then, I started Adderall XL (5 mg) late last year. It's been revolutionary in that it controls both my ADHD and depression better. However, I've been noticing that, when stressed, my word retrieval is just poo poo. Yesterday was a particularly horrendous day at work (thanks, boss!), and when I went to get my lunch at the Indian deli, I was reduced to describing what I wanted by shape and color, despite the names of the items being right there - so I had 'liquid' (soup), 'flat things that look like plates' (papadum) and 'triangles! triangles!' (samosas) for lunch. Ordering was helped by frantic pointing as I tried to order before my brain completely shut down. I've always chalked it up to the ADHD 'breaking through'. I had no idea that the meds could make that worse.

Welp, either way, I see the doc next Tuesday to get the meds adjusted. I may get more. I don't get the sensation that the drug at my current dose is wearing off; I think that it may have not been enough to begin with.

(I also lightened my load a bit; working full time + taking a night class really hasn't been agreeing with me, and has been leaving me extremely stressed. So I put off the schooling until summer, if I choose to continue with it. At least I got a full refund on the tuition. This may also help my ADHD issues.)

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 08:02 on May 13, 2010

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

I think I need those shirts. Like, yesterday.

And glad that the info helped!

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Humper posted:

THANK YOU DRUGS AND DOCTOR WHO FINALLY loving FIGURED THIS poo poo OUT AFTER YEARS AND YEARS AND YEARS AND YEARS OF PEOPLE GETTING IT WRONG.

Isn't it a relief?

I'm on a much smaller dose, but I'm being bumped up to 10 MG Adderall XR a day now. As the ADHD isn't being fully controlled on the 5 MG. Here's hoping for good things.

Also? My doctor likes that, when I can't describe something in words, I can describe it in pictures. Particularly watercolor. As an art freak, he just loves this. If I ever become a famous artist, he'll have a private collection!

This is what happens when I try to do math (or anything logical, really), and/or when I get overwhelmed:

(I did a rush job on the painting, I wanted to get it done before my doctor's appt so I could show him. But, I still think it gets the point across. Which is that the pretty pastoral scene gets all blurry and 'staticky', and when the brain just grinds to a halt, the red seeps in. The top line going down is cognitive ability, and the bottom line going up is frustration.)

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 07:54 on May 19, 2010

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Hi. I just got back from a roadtrip down to a two day black metal :black101: festival, so this may not be the most coherent of posts, but I have experience with both drugs.

When I was prescribed for Wellbutrin, it was for depression.

What I liked about Wellbutrin: Out of all the anti-depressants I tried, it was the one I could tolerate the most. It didn't make me feel 'drugged', and it didn't have any really bad side effects for me. It controlled the Depression and ADHD, sort of, enough so that I could function on a sort of OK level.

What I didn't like about the Wellbutrin: It made all foods taste blunted (if that makes sense); that with the lack of appetite meant that I lost a bunch of weight, and not in a healthy way. So I was constantly underweight, which also gave me some problems with being chilled, getting constant colds, etc. Also, maybe it was the drug, or the not eating or both - but it also made me feel constantly anxious - which also hampered my life. Made me feel too paralyzed to really do anything. I finally got off of it when my insurance stopped paying for the name brand, and the generic made me ill with side effects.

I like the Adderall better now. The depression is barely an issue these days, and it controls the ADHD much better. In fact, when I switch from Wellbutrin to Adderall, I *gained* a fair bit of weight, because food tasted good again. It doesn't control the ADHD 100%, and sometimes I don't like feeling how 'revved up' I feel on it, but that's partially my fault, I've been drinking tea on it. I just got my dose raised to 10 MG a day, so I'll see how that goes for the next few weeks or so.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Well, this is annoying.

A couple of weeks ago, I get my Adderall XR raised to a whopping 10 mg a day. You think that'd be good, right? It is, in a way - when it's in my system, I can feel that it works quite well. However, when it wears off? Oh, this is when the horrors begin. Turns out that it triggers my depression something fierce. And this isn't just Dysthimia, but full on 'the world sucks, I am horrible, I have no friends, all I want to do is cry' depression. Every night this happens. And last weekend? The holiday weekend that I had been looking forward to? It was completely horrible. The one consolation is that I *know* that it's the chemicals in my brain doing this, but it still feels bad.

The other frustrating thing about all of this is that I felt like I was making some progress in my life, getting things going again. I managed to take a couple of programming courses in the past 6 months, and I have some plans to take further courses. But now, if I can't think, because the drug in question makes me sick? What's the point? What other stimulants are out there? (And the other bad thing is that I get laid off this month, and there goes my insurance, until my COBRA kicks in.)

(At least I put a call into my doctor's office tonight to let him know that this is going on, and what to do now.) (And apologies if you read this twice; I'm also posting this in the Main Psych Megathread).

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Nannypea posted:

It seems lots of people are having issues with the Adderall XR. I tried the 10mg as well and could not tell I was taking it.

I had been on a combo of Wellbutrin and Lexapro prior to my seizure. I found that the Wellbutrin/lexapro combo made a big difference.

Thanks.

I decided to try staggering the Adderall a bit - so I just opened the capsule and ate half right now (where I'm still in my pyjamas). The rest I'll take in the afternoon. Hopefully, when I hit the 'crash', it'll be bedtime and I'll be already asleep.

...And the doctor called back. Apparently, my massive whopper of a dose here is causing Amphetamine Withdrawal Syndrome when it wears off, and my brain and body are screaming "DRUGS! I NEED MY DRUUUUUUUUUUUUUGS!". His quote: "This is bad." Pleasant! So, it's back down to 5mg for me. And I'm to call him back in a week or two with an update.

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 4, 2010

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

satin666 posted:

From what I understand, if you're going to take a partial XR capsule, you should crush up the beads. Some of the beads have a time-released coating and some of them don't, and when you take just half of the pill you don't know what sort of instant/delayed ratio you'll be taking. Smashing them (with a lighter or something inside a folded piece of paper) supposedly makes all of them instant-release by removing that coating.

Yeah - and I found that when I did that half-capsule thing? Oh, that day wasn't well regulated at all. I don't want to deal with that on a day-to-day basis. So I called the doc back, and told him that I could exchange the prescriptions I have for 10 MG Adderall and pick up ones for 5 MG instead.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

hello internet posted:

Are there people here that have taken adderall and didn't like it but have no problem taking ritalin/concerta? I had horrible side affects from both ritalin and concerta but absolutely not a single side affect from adderall.

Generic, short acting ritalin made me constantly gasp for air. It hard to describe - it wasn't an asthma flare up, but it did make me feel 'air hungry' all the time. So I was constantly yawning just to get anything in. A very uncomfortable feeling.

Concerta didn't have that, but for a while, I was on Wellbutrin. Wellbutrin + any stimulant made my spasticity way, way worse, to the point where I could barely move without excruciating pain, even on my anti-spasmodic drug. Same thing happened with Adderall and Strattera.

When I got off the Wellbutrin, Adderall was the first drug we tried again, and as long as I stick at my baby dose of 5mg a day, I get enough of the drug to function without the horrible depression. However, we may revisit the other drugs if I need more or a different treatment. And my depression went away for the most part, thank God.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

ultrafilter posted:

I have an appointment to be prescribed some medicine, but it's not for another four weeks. I have some books to read, and I'm trying to get caught up in the other stuff I have going on, but it's going to be a long wait. Are there any things I should be doing in the meantime?

I take it that you're in school? I'd talk to your counselor or your Disabled Student Services department about improving Time Management and Study skills. Medicine will help, but these may help you get through the next few weeks, and can also help once you find a medication that works.

I did the exact same thing (at least with time management) a few months ago, and it does help, even with the Adderall.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

ultrafilter posted:

That's a good idea. Thanks.

No problem!

If anything, now that you have an official diagnosis, you can also qualify for various accommodations that can help, such as longer test taking time, taking it in a quiet room, getting an extension on a class, etc. I've gotten extensions on a few classes in college, and it saved my butt.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

ultrafilter posted:

It's a little bit more complicated for me because I'm in grad school and classes aren't really the issue, but I definitely need better time management skills.

Disability Services may have other things that can help, one of which is probably time management issues. But you are right - Grad School is a completely different beast than Undergrad, and you are different than me. You may need help that I didn't and vice versa.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

flavaaDAAAAAVE posted:

I've just gotten diagnosed and prescribed Adderall. 15 mg XR with 5 mg IR when needed. I forgot to ask the doc, is there anything to worry about with mixing this and coffee? I love my specialty blends and faggy iced mochas so I hope it's not a big deal.

edit - I asked the pharmacist about this and he said "it might make it less effective. it might make it more effective." and shrugged. Thanks.

I found that mixing Adderall with caffeinated drinks exacerbated the bad effects of the stimulant, without hindering the good effects. So I'd get really jumpy and jittery, and also get a racing pulse. But, I'd also still be able to think and be patient, wait in line, etc. It makes me feel like physically I'm going to explode or jump out of my skin or something, it's a very uncomfortable feeling. So, I try not to do it. However, I always have a weak black or green tea in the afternoon, because I take another drug, Baclofen, in the afternoon and that's a sedative.

One ironic thing? My caffeine tolerance has gone down through the floor. And caffeine? Really not an adequate substitute for the Adderall. I forgot to take it on Monday, so I tried to compensate with a double latte and a couple of iced teas throughout the day. Yeah, that didn't work out so well - I was hiiiiiiiigh. At least I didn't have to do anything at work.

One advantage to all the frou frou drinks is that there are decaf versions, though those may have a trace of caffeine in them. Better yet, just stop drinking them all the time, and have them once in a while for an awesome treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Kneel Before Zog posted:

So whats that one side effect you hate the most from taking ADHD meds?

The rebound depression when the drug wears off. Oh hell that poo poo was bad.