Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
So, Wikipedia has a short entry on the Sea of Silt and it sounds bad rear end. Please, goons, elaborate!

Wikipedia posted:

Water has long since ceased to flow on the surface and can only be found in the last sea, some oases, tiny lakes and streams, as well as west of the Ringing Mountains in the Forest Ridge. Not only are the mountains nearly impassable (the name Ringing Mountains refers to the lightheaded feeling one feels from lack of oxygen when traversing them) but the Forest Ridge is the home of halflings, which in the Dark Sun world are small creatures that live in tribes in the forest and do not hesitate to capture and eat intruders to their realm. This makes the prospect of going west across the mountains a near impossibility.

In the place of an ocean, the world of Athas, due to defiling magic, has a sea composed entirely of silt. The silt is incredibly dangerous as it is not capable of supporting the weight of humanoid creatures, and the particles themselves are extremely fine and get into the lungs quite easily. A strong wind from the Silt Sea can cause people from nearby villages to have to remain indoors all day, though with a certain amount of water some people often make use of a mask-like object called a silter which is placed over the mouth and nose and kept wet in order to help the user breathe.

The silt actually becomes hard-packed a few metres below the surface, but this is of no help to a human as the level within the first two metres is extremely loose and fine. However, giants often make use of the packed silt roads further below and can be seen wading chest-deep through the silt. Humans have sometimes built crafts that can navigate these silt roads much like giants do, though the going is much slower and both humans and giants still have to deal with the creatures that live in the sea.

There are also shipfloaters, which are psionicists who, through use of a large obsidian orb to focus their power, can telekinetically levitate and sail the ship as if it were sailing through water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

ManMythLegend posted:

What do you want to know?
What are some of the horrible things lurking in/on/around the silt? The worms that ritorix mentioned sound pretty nifty.

Are there any major/minor cities near the Sea of Silt? Ones that are within range of those silt storms that blow across the land would be a pretty cool place to base an adventure.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Holy poo poo, that's like a sand kraken hydra thing. Dark Sun owns!

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
ManMythLegend: Are these summaries from one of the source books or from your own (twisted) mind? Either way, please do not stop. Each new description is cooler than the last and I'm going to have to get familiar with the setting so I can run a game there as soon as the 4e books are released. Teach me, all you Dark Sun scholars!

It's been mentioned that most people don't know the difference from defilers or preservers, or even that preservers exist. How knowledgeable are the common folk about psionics? Are the innate powers everyone has just chalked up to "that's how it is" or do they know its source?

Also, which (if any) of the DS novels are worth reading? The only ones I know of are the Prism Pentad, but they are apparently about some Mary Sue characters that have drawn a ton of ire from the playerbase of DS.

Also also, how would you guys handle the survival aspect that's so important in DS? I'll admit when I've played D&D, we tend to ignore rations and water because it's generally not a big deal. Is simply keeping track of your daily intake of food and water enough to ratchet the game up from "kill, kill, kill!" to "survive, survive, survive!"?

Also x3, I got ahold of the revised setting book and started reading it... but it sounds quite different. The halflings aren't even cannibalistic barbarians in here. :(

You'd think I'd be able to remember one page back. Doh. And yes, Dark Sun is easily the first setting that I've been interested in running as-is since.. ever?
vvvvvvvvv

Aranan fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 6, 2009

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

tendrilsfor20 posted:

So yeah, only read books 1, 4 and 5. They're a contiguous story.

That makes no sense, so thanks for clarifying. I was eyeing books 2 and 3 on amazon and wondering if I should get them. Guess I won't. Going to order 1, 4, and 5 for like $0.20 each. I don't even care if they're good at that price.

(yes I do)

[edit] Bah, they're about a buck each, but even if you get them all from the same seller the shipping charges are $4 per book.

Aranan fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 6, 2009

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

tendrilsfor20 posted:

For "swords," it's usually described as a petrified wood shard, carved into the shape of a sword and then coated in glue and then pointy bits of obsidian. Other blades will be made by bone. Only very high-ranking members of a city-state's army will have metal blades. Medium-ranking soldiers will have bone or petrified wood weapons with a metal edge folded over on them.

"Chains" and stuff like flails are generally made with giants-hair rope. Maces and clubs are generally just rocks tied to sticks.

Even with (shoddy) materials like these, in 2e if the weapon was magic then it was as durable as normal magic metal weapons, right?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I'd like some clarification.

I was looking at the different existing (i.e. pre-4e) Dark Sun material out there and there's a bit more than I thought. Is this boxed set the main one that everyone is taking most of the information from? I know there was a revised set/book/something that I glanced at earlier and it was completely different (peaceful halflings? bah!).

Basically, I want Dark Sun info. Aside from the novels, what old materials should I read to hold me over?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Awesome, thanks guys. I want to start up a little game and I don't want to wait until the 4e materials are released. I figure I can brush up with some of these books and just dive in.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
The turbans are blue because they're sad. :smith:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
What book talks about cannibal halflings? The ones in the original boxed set are just curious normal halflings! I want tiny dudes with sharpened teeth leaping out of trees to eat you.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

PeterWeller posted:

What? The Wanderer's Journal, the first fluff book from the first boxed set, describes them as cannibals. Read the sections on the Forest Ridge and Raiding Tribes. The section on Urik mentions the halfling unit that Hamanu hires for terror actions against his enemies.
Oh, okay. I haven't opened the Wanderer's Journal yet--the Rulebook part of the set describes them as looking like wise and beautiful children who are concerned with inward spiritual connections or some such thing.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Kerison posted:

So, what's the info on this?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
What's a Gith? I've read references to them a few times, but are they any different from Githyanki/Githzerai?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Red_Mage posted:

This should go here.

It already did. :)

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Wil Wheaton won't be in the Dark Sun podcasts.

Plus, the comic in case you haven't seen it:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/5/14/

Still... Dark Sun, woo!

Dark Sun, where "Leather Chest Armor" means you've been sunburned so many times your chest is leathery.

Aranan fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 23, 2010

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Bieeardo posted:

Breakable magic weapons made me wince, but then I realized that you could probably still use their remains as residuum for making new ones later.

Still, with the exception of weapons with stories behind them, I think Dark Sun works a lot better as an inherent bonuses campaign. A hardass is someone who can pick up a cactus and hit a body with it. A paragon-level hardass is someone who can take that same cactus and knock a body's head off with it.

I thought heroic would be picking up your buddy and hitting a cactus with him. Cacti in Dark Sun are scary!

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Squizzle posted:

the guy who did all of these

That Guy posted:

http://gandhi.gfxartist.com/artworks/167446
Another painting of DnD monster - demon being called Sibriex. It has illustration from Tom Baxa which i dont like, so i ve made my own
Poor Baxa.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I just want to counter some people saying that you should skip on buying the 4e DMG. It was easily the best DMG type of book I've read. It beats the 2e, 3.0/3.5 DMGs as well as a few other non-D&D "Game Master" style books I've tried out. It has some useful tips on how to DM as well as some required rules (encounters, treasure parcels, "Actions the Rules Don't Cover", and I rather enjoyed using the Fallcrest/Kobold Hall adventure in the back as my first taste of 4e.

Also, don't buy Keep on the Shadowfell even if you want to use it. It's free on WotC's website.

[edit] I'm a stupid person who shouldn't post after waking up from a nap.

Aranan fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 13, 2010

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

s19aw posted:

Haha, assassins could just carry around gigantic parasols with them all the time, strapped to their backs, to "protect themselves from the sun".

In fact, probably everyone on Athas who can afford it should do this. My next dark sun character is going to be a parasol merchant.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Has there been any word about how the environment is going to be an active hazard to the players in Dark Sun? A while back someone suggested a starvation/sun sickness thing using the disease structure set up in 4e and that sounded like a pretty cool idea.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Sounds pretty much like what I was hoping for. Thanks. :)

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Blast rhymes with assed which is like bending over and holding a match out while you fart.

Reskinned burning hands! 4e rules!!

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
There's a mention of the "Sunwarped Creature theme from Monster Manual 3" in the article as well as a Encounter terrain power (harnessing "a swirling mist of ambient sunwarped magic" to enhance a spell with some extra damage at the risk of taking necrotic damage yourself equal to your healing surge value). It ends with two Sunwarped Wretches (level 3 skirmisher and level 4 brute).

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

angrylinuxgeek posted:

The Alienist, the best paragon path

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Can was stop making the DARK SUN thread suck?

Let's talk about Thri-kreen. They're like mantis men who make weapons out of spit!

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
They don't need water? That's news to me.

Bug men who don't need water or sleep and can make their own weapons out of spit and sand... they really are the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I was actually reading the Mouse Guard rules and it made me think of running Dark Sun with that rule system. The four main "enemies" are weather (baking heat, freezing nights, sandstorms, etc), wilderness (the plants want to kill you, traversing the deserts, etc), animals (duh), other mice (other Athanians).

It's probably crazy talk, but I couldn't help mentioning it in light of the recent conversation.

• Locked thread