Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!

ritorix posted:

I will give a try at one of my old favorites: the tembo. In 2e, tembos were nocturnal pack critters with psionics and a level-draining bite. They had 4HD (hit dice), could dodge missiles, drain life, a bunch of defensive psionics, make 5 attacks per round (4 claws and a drain bite) and were basically a giant 'gently caress you' to players everywhere. Oh and their favorite food was children.

So. I tried to keep it simple.

And thats what passes as a "natural beast" on Athas.

As I said last time Borys showed up pre-this thread, i'd make the damage from lacking healing surges equal to one-quarter of their maximum hit points, because otherwise this penalises people who gain extra bonuses there such as dragonborn, powerful dwarves, and some magic item use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
There's one question I have. With all this reliance on obsidian instead of iron, are swords really rare then? I mean obsidian doesn't (unless I suppose you managed to create it in that shape) have the nature to be forged into anything, so you end up with little shards that are better for spearheads, arrowheads, daggers, and Macuahuitl for the closest approximate to swords (also possibly axes if you get a large enough shard and chip it into an axehead shape I guess?).

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Ticking Timebomb posted:

On the other hand, 1st level PCs in this edition are much tougher than they ever were at 3rd level in 2e.
Off the top of my head, you could get much the same effect by jacking up the difficulty of encounters by a couple of levels (though this would depend on the toughness of the native creatures), adding in the "inferior materials" rules and (possibly) limiting the availability of heavy armour.

I'd also like to see some rules for starvation/dehydration.

Well 4e uses the "Rule of 3" related to starvation/thirst/suffocating, namely at the end of a noted time period (three weeks/three days/three minutes) you have to start making Endurance checks (which increase in DC), success gets you another day/day/round, failure loses a healing surge which cannot be regained until you eat a meal, drink or gain access to air respectively, if you have no healing surges left you take damage equal to your level at each failed check.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Yeah, I remember an early 4e issue of Dragon statting out a few of the very hazardous plants for 4e. I think it had that thing, the cacti that eats you, and probably another.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Cross postin' from the 4e thread.

It's official; there will not be a new class in Dark Sun 4e, but there will be a new mechanic. (I'm guessing Defiler magic, but he says it'll "take us by surprise" so I dunno)

Full interview here. (Not DS related)

It could always be Wild Talents instead of Defiling Magic, I mean Defiling magic will probably be there but it will probably be variant Arcane I guess? I mean it makes sense as a new mechanic in general, but making Wild Talents a bit more impressive might also (probably being able to use feats to make them more useful and combat-ready).

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

It will probably go via a more unique thing (like they did in an article for FR on how certain races might get in, and largely involved Warforged being nearly unique), with a note on materials and probably better rules for them suffering the wastes or something (seriously though a Warforged made from chitin and bound with the mind and soul of some thri-kreen protector (by the thri-kreen) as a sort of guardian would be a nifty story, not sure if the thri-kreen would think of that but well.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'd be annoyed if anything interesting or unique was relegated to Paragon Paths, oh goody nothing really innovative happens until Paragon Tier, hooray!

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Sweet. Looks like Dark Sun will be getting its own book of monsters!

On the downside: It looks like there won't be a specific book for players and one for DMs, there'll be only one book for both.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

PeterWeller posted:

That interview with Rich that Squizzle posted fills me with happy feelings. I'm glad "simple, yet flavorful" seems to be the design philosophy they're employing when deciding how to incorporate all the little unique bits of Dark Sun. Simply saying, "no divine classes," is such a better approach than whatever hack job they would have had to perform to turn the divine classes into elemental classes.

My only main question is how they are going to show off the Elemental Clerics now? I know there are going to be (I imagine two primal and two divine) divine and primal classes in PHB3, we already know of the Seeker, do you think Elemental Clerics or whatever they call them will be an exception Divine class that is let into Dark Sun but none others, or will it be a Primal class? (Or will it actually be an Elemental class, which were foreshadowed a while ago but don't seem to be in PHB3)

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

PeterWeller posted:

Okay, once I stopped skimming, actually read it, and realized that you weren't trying to hack in some spell point system in place of the at-will/encounter/daily system, I really liked it. The table is simple enough, and it does give Defilers a nice boost. The only thing I would change is an aesthetic matter. "Mana Pool" doesn't evoke the DS vibe to me. Additionally, you may want to consider adding some sort of Obsidian Orb implement that allows the Defiler to further improve this ability.

Drops of Ichor into the Goblet of Defilement.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

PeterWeller posted:

Maybe. I think Strahd and Barovia got a bit of a write up in the undead splatbook, but I don't really pay attention to those. There are mentions of "Dread Domains" here and there in other stuff.

But this thread is about Dark Sun, not those other crap rear end settings. :v: Has anyone seen what the new map of the Tablelands looks like? I assume it's essentially the same.

Well there have been like two or three Domains of Dread outlined in Dragon (maybe one was in MotP? I forget), so far. They're basically in the Shadowfell, I forget the reasoning as to the existence of them, however, I mean they are caused by the same sort of event that would have caused them in Ravenloft, and a PC themself can take the Darklord Epic Destiny where their immorality is that they are finally claimed by the Shadowfell, trapped in a nightmarish non-world designed by their subconscious, and under their rough control, yet they can never leave.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I thought he was a proto-halfling and was born at the very end of the blue age, just before most halflings lifeshaped themselves into other races to adapt or something.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Android Blues posted:

Beowulf wasn't a demigod, he was just a badass.

What Epic Destiny would you suggest he had then?

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

It's like some sort of living, violent Vitruvian Man.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Kerison posted:

Obviously Athas is not Earth so you can exclude real world plants at your leisure, but I can tell you one thing, Hodgepodge: Athas is a potatoless land.

Yeah, imagine having potatoes would significantly change things, unless suppressed as a crop but then undoubtably a sorcerer-king would want it to feed their armies, etc. etc.

Anyway I am sure they blew it all up at the end of the blue age, lifeshaping it into something else or something.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Half-Giants are going to be refluffed Goliaths now, right?

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

They are actually glowing blue due to the substantial heat applied to the turbans, but are heavily insulated on the inside to prevent it burning their templar wearers.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

He appears to have snapped the blade on his katar :ohdear:

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

You know the more I think about that scenario with the three halflings from the long past falling to earth, the more it's starting to sound like Planet of the Apes where eventually one of the halflings is going to find the last sea and shout about how 'they blew it all up'.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

zeal posted:

I wonder how much a Belgoi bell goes for on the market in one of the city-states. That looks like real bronze, enough to make a decent knife. You could probably trade it for a dozen field slaves, at least.

Knowing Dark Sun it has a Curse upon it or something, like Belgois will follow you forever until you drop it or they get you.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Aren't "Elemental Priests" a theme?

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Wizards! What have you done?! :argh:

There is water in the official Dark Sun dungeon tiles! And by that I don't mean moisture got in the pack. Possibly the least apt place to put it, I dare say. Well now not necessarily the worst place I guess it could be used for an oasis but still!

I am tutting at you for this Wizards, tutting so hard.

Still the 3d adobe house and 3d wagon are both nice! :3:

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

The Happy Hyperbole posted:

Hey, thanks for all the advice everyone! Thri-Kreen are just so goddamn cool, I'm really looking forward to this character. I'm going to try and get my hands on the Thri-Kreen of Athas, then, so I can learn even more.

We already know that they have Dex and Wis, but most new Races have that 'or' stat thing going on, including Muls who I've heard are supposed to be +2 Con, and +2 Wis or Str. So I think Thri-Kreen might have a choice between wisdom and either str or con, myself.

With respect to Thri-Kreen you mean Wis and either Dex or Con, right?

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Well so far (as shown by the Encounters sessions) a new resource is present called Survival Days or something like that. Which are the number of days you can survive in the desolate landscape before I assume you have to start making Endurance checks or whatnot (since I am not running the Encounters thing I do not know what happens when you run out).

You can of course increase this by purchasing or looting or foraging for water and food. I can't well explain it, but hopefully someone else will be able to.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

You keep saying das Unheimliche but all I keep hearing is forcing someone to spit or cough something up.

Edit: This likely makes me look really uncultured. But I am neutral with regards to the history being there or not, though having no official history (for various reasons, forced literacy included) does make it a lot easier for the DM to have their own history, should they want rather than having to tread lightly over canon.

Infinite Oregano fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 24, 2010

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

The Thri-Kreen is called Shakira.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

My psion will probably die tonight.

Does anyone have a link to the letter saying the encounter design is broken?

Possibly mine too, I am out of healing surges.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

They should really get more Jason A. Engle pictures. I'm not sure what he'd do with Dark Sun but it'd probably be really good!

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Well I think in theory anyone can be an Elemental Priest, since it's a theme but Shamans are like the most appropriate. I guess other Primal classes could work as a more militant form of it.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Article today about the Sorcerer-King pact. Also major note: Wild Talents excluding the character theme look to still be in the game, according to that contents list.

Also the Wild Battlemind, which I assume is... I guess another Charisma-build for the Battlemind? Who knows! But whatever.

Now you can be a Wilden Wilder Wild Battlemind (multiclass Wild Sorcerer) with a Wild Talent.

I think the word 'wild' has lost definition for me now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

August's Content Calendar is up now! Amongst it is the Slave Theme that we had heard of, Playing Templars, and Class Acts: Bard (maybe it's for Dark Sun Bards!).

Maybe also the Winning Races: Eladrin goes into how Dark Sun Eladrin are like more. Who knows!

• Locked thread