Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
I always dreamed of making a dragon and then wearing a cloak made from a slain avangion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
Most of the writeups are for non-Tablelands cities, and those aren't Dark Sun. :colbert:

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Tom Baxa is Dark Sun.

You are hot and thirsty.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

People on Athas have a couple more Con points that us pathetic Earthlings, so they don't give a poo poo about exposure and heat stroke.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Why not just take away the construct trait and call them muls? They are very similar, mechanically. Plus muls are sterile!

Quite whining about how you want to be a robot and start clubbing some fools with your jawbone axe already.

What about drow? Don't we need drow in Dark Sun? And hobgoblins and orcs?

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Kerison posted:

Let's talk Dark Sun music. Obviously, those LotR soundtracks (along with plenty of other standbys) don't cut it. I'm introducing a group to Dark Sun this weekend and decided I wanted mood music for the session, so I sifted through Amazon and settled on Classical Arab and Indian. The oud in particular is great, and it's pretty much all clean, instrumental sounds.
Just listen to Nomad by Sepultura on a constant loop.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Jarofmoldymayo posted:

Is this setting good?
No. It is the best.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

The undead war beetle alone was worth the purchase of Dragon Kings.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

I wanna be a 30th level air cleric/psionicist so I can just be a tornado forever.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

I will not tolerate any more of this Baxa trash talk! Baxa is Dark Sun!

Show me one piece of Brom work that is more Dark Sun than this little fella.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Liesmith posted:

those are all ugly, everything is weirdly knobbly and orange. The liquid from the dripping dead guy's face looks like it's made out of orange wood. The last one is the least offensive to the eyes but that elf doesn't look like he's alive at all and his mask is knobbly as hell for no reason

All of this sounds Dark Sun as gently caress to me. Go play Forgotten Realms if you want to be fancy elves with giant swords. Dark Sun is for knobbly wooden trolls that spit and wield sharpened jawbones strapped to other bones.

YOU ARE HOT AND THIRSTY.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

I think it illustrates understatement. The guy beaming in the main part of the picture is equipped with everything possible, including extra arms. He feels ready for anything.

But lumpy down below has it right: He's got a sturdy mace for bashing, a nice punching dagger for stabbing, and his forearm has been cleverly converted into an axe for chopping.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Common fantasy is about being Mel Gibson. Dark Sun is about being the feral kid or the gyro captain or Humungus.

I like Brom's art, too, and I hated Baxa at first, but as I got further into the setting, I thought that Baxa represented it better. People are dirty and ugly, with bad haircuts. Brom is really fantastic and he created some really iconic pieces for the setting, but overall I think his work is too ethereal. The Baxa art balances that out with something that tells you that life is cheap, short, weird and brutal.

One minute you're a rich merchant with countless slaves and never need to walk on your own two feet, the next you're marching under the burning sun because your beautiful wife caught the eye of a templar who had you arrested and enslaved under false charges of bribery and avoiding tariffs.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

I want to see a pair of players playing some sort of archaeologists and arguing whether the zombie thing that's trying to kill you is a kaisharga or a meortie.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

I remember enjoying the Tribe of One trilogy, but my literary taste back then was nonexistent. I think it was written by a man who played D&D by himself, because the main character is schizophrenic and is a multiclass everything, pretty much.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

All druids and rangers should have to kill and drink the blood of their animal companion to survive.

Also: Where's all the kank talk?

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Which makes them require more azurite to dye their turbans, leading to a vicious cycle and the downfall of Raam. I think we've got it.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

I'm a BELL-goi. Get it?
_____________/

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

It is highly representative of the garbage within.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Bobby would probably be an elf because he can't be trusted.
Donkey Lips would be a half giant always looking to fit in.

And Sponge could be a psionicist and the players could run all sorts of (attempted) nerd revenge scenarios.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Tom Baxa is trying to get a book printed up: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1633668267/blood-rituals-the-art-of-tom-baxa-dark-fantasy-art

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

PeterWeller posted:

They only let you play as male half-giants too. There's no mechanical differences between the genders of the two races.

The last time I loaded up Shattered Lands in XP, it ran fine. I remember Wake of the Ravager running all super weird and fast.

You can play female half giants, but only male muls.

Half giants are the best, because they show most clearly that the backs of male torsos are the fronts of female and vice versa. Male half giants run around with giant tits on their backs.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

angrylinuxgeek posted:

They won't be doing a Living Dark Sun campaign for RPGA

It would be an oxymoron. :downsrim:

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

I loved how like 75% of bards had access to type E poison (save vs. death, failure = death, success = 20 damage) at character creation in old Dark Sun.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Streetwise for muls? I thought most of them were pampered, if not cloistered slave gladiators.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

If I remember right, dragons had to make a system shock roll or die at every level, and there were pretty hideous stat requirements for becoming either. Also dragons needed to build ziggurats and sacrifice thousands of HD worth of creatures to gain early levels. Plus they needed to have scrolls of dragon transformation that hadn't been used before and stuff. It was all pretty impossible, but awesome nonetheless.

The character tree system was weird. Basically you had a stable of like-level characters in case one of them died or whatever, which makes sense at low levels, but at 30?

I liked elemental cleric/psionicists the best for their 20-30 shenanigans. Becoming an elemental forever at level 30 was neat.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

The diameter of the orb you had to swallow as also random (a d12 in inches, I believe) so you might be stuck having to swallow a bowling ball-sized obsidian sphere to do your 21st level transformation when you are still a human. Good luck!

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

PeterWeller posted:

Wasn't 2E Dark Sun something like 4D4+4 for each stat?

Yep, 4d4+4, and start at level 3.

Bards were wonderful characters to start in Dark Sun because a level 3 bard had something like a 66% chance to know how to make Type E poison (save vs. poison, die if you fail, take 20 damage if you succeed).

I think 3rd level psionicists could know Disintegrate, though their chances of success with it were less than stellar.

Dark Sun was really a power gamer's dream.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Liesmith posted:

does an avangeon have the same requirements as a dragon? How would a 20 wizard/20 psionicist/2 avangion ever get beat up by guys with rocks
No Concentration checks in 2nd edition. If you suffer damage before you can perform a spell/psionic power, it is disrupted. Given that they were his followers, he probably didn't have defensive spells up, and if there were a decent number of people, somebody would be bound to roll better initiative than him and still do the requisite damage to prevent casting.

That and it's fluff text.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Do you work for the Tablelands Tourism Board or something?

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

PeterWeller posted:

Sympathetic Templar with a heart of gold? What's this touchy feely bullshit doing in my Dark Sun? :v:
Impact! If everything is brutal devastation all the time, you become desensitized. The templar with a heart of gold gives you hope for redemption before his heart is pulled out by his master for betraying him. You have to build things up a bit before you tear them down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

What was the story behind Wake of the Ravager? I only played it a couple times, once in depth, and it was a long time ago and ended with a game-killing glitch.

The Shattered Lands is among my favorite CRPGs, so it was a tough act to follow for me.

• Locked thread