Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phandy
Jan 14, 2006
A vote for me is a vote for pedro

shotgunbadger posted:

For real though, this is my favorite setting, I'm a sucker for good old 'the world wants to gently caress you like a prison bitch and all you can do is claw and bite your way to the top' settings, and this does it so drat well. This is a setting where my parties have killed others for a canteen of water and didn't even warrant a 'what the gently caress is wrong with you?' for it.

Holy crap you're right. I'm reading through a Dark Sun module and here's an exerpt:

The mul whips the PC unmercifully for 2d6 rounds or until the character lies unconscious. If the PC (or anyone) fights back, the guards do not respond for 2 rounds. If the PC fights back, he is hauled off and thrown into the Pit a dried-out well used for punishment. If the PC is unconscious, his friends can drag him to the shade then go back to work. Thereafter, bad blood exists between the overseer and the PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phandy
Jan 14, 2006

PeterWeller posted:

Basically, your average Dark Sun outfit is about as practical and realistic as your typical chain mail bikini.

Relax, they were probably escaped slaves or something. Dark Sun does have rules for wearing metal armor in the desert and there's a non-weapon proficiency called "heat optimization" which represents how practical you are when wearing clothes in the desert.

Phandy
Jan 14, 2006
It's a fantasy universe. Can't you just make halflings be whatever you goddamn want them to be?

Phandy
Jan 14, 2006

Android Blues posted:

you're right, in fact, settings are irrelevant as is the discussion of them and we should be angry about others not realising this

I wasn't angry but now that you say that I should be, I am!

Phandy
Jan 14, 2006
I could be wrong, but I think the defiling part of magic happens during memorization of the spells, not the execution; at least it was in 2e.

Phandy
Jan 14, 2006

zeal posted:

Was there ever mention of illithid in Dark Sun? They seem like a pretty natural choice for what must've been the premiere 2nd Edition setting for psionics.

They were in one of the video games, Dark Sun 2: Wake of the Ravager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phandy
Jan 14, 2006

PeterWeller posted:

That was one of the better parts of that game. Killing an Elder Brain was pretty sweet, but on the other hand (and like much of that game), it didn't really evoke the Dark Sun feel.

I kinda agree with you, although I felt that Tyr itself was true its setting. I guess what killed it was that you could travel through planes and there was a friggin jungle.

• Locked thread