Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Paperhouse posted:

looking for a game/games to listen to music/podcasts to. My go to game for this is Pro Evolution Soccer but I've played it to death at this point. What I liked about it for this purpose though:

no story
no important audio in the game
good gameplay and replayability
decent progression (I liked playing manager mode, buying/selling players and improving the squad and stuff)
simple enough that I could pay attention to the music/podcast while playing

I guess the obvious answer is other sports games, but I don't like most other sports that much

You want vampire survivors (or probably most other games in that genre)

I've also found low level deep rock galactic missions to be great for that, though I'm not certain if that's as fun while sober

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Fighting Elegy posted:

I've been playing a lot of Bomberman (mostly Saturn Bomberman and Bomberman Max) and before that Metal Gear Solid, and now I got a craving for slow paced, maybe even clunky, action games where you have to be very deliberate when handling enemies.

What I like about these games is having my brain adapt to style of gameplay, or complicated controls. I've realized that being able to "get good" and understand the mechanics of a game is a lot of fun and right now I'm looking for more originality than polish or ease-of-use

Definitely check out SUPERHOT.

Dishonoured might also be up your alley.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Paperhouse posted:

looking for a game/games to listen to music/podcasts to. My go to game for this is Pro Evolution Soccer but I've played it to death at this point. What I liked about it for this purpose though:

no story
decent progression (I liked playing manager mode, buying/selling players and improving the squad and stuff)

I guess the obvious answer is other sports games, but I don't like most other sports that much

Bit of an outside recommendation here, but I have spent far too many hours of my life playing Dicey Dungeons while listening to podcasts.

There is story but it's minimal and unimportant. The game has great music but you can turn it off and just keep the sound effects (which is what I do). It's super fun and very replayable, and it does have gentle progression. It's essentially a roguelite, but instead of your character getting stronger with repeated plays, you just unlock newer/more difficult/more interesting levels. There are six characters and six levels each plus a hard mode, plus a few free DLC levels, so there is plenty to get your teeth into. Some excellent fan mods as well.

It goes on special pretty often so maybe hold out for that.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 6, 2024

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Paperhouse posted:

no story

Dysmantle is my current podcast game

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Paperhouse posted:

no story

One of the Truck Simulator games? Or maybe Snowrunner since that's how I'm playing it just now, while listening to music.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

ninjewtsu posted:

You want vampire survivors (or probably most other games in that genre)

I've also found low level deep rock galactic missions to be great for that, though I'm not certain if that's as fun while sober

Thanks, I just spent 5 hours playing vampire hunters nonstop lol

Not sure how much staying power it has, but right now it's great

Thanks for the other recs everyone, will have a look at them all

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Paperhouse posted:

no story

This may not work, but I love all the Souls games/good Soulslikes for this. They have story, but I don't play them for the story, I play them for the fun gameplay, cool worlds, and the power fantasy. They are mostly quiet outside of boss fight music/atmospheric music in some areas.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Queering Wheel posted:

This may not work, but I love all the Souls games/good Soulslikes for this. They have story, but I don't play them for the story, I play them for the fun gameplay, cool worlds, and the power fantasy. They are mostly quiet outside of boss fight music/atmospheric music in some areas.
I'd argue audio cues are pretty important for attack/ambush signaling, though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I really struggle to remember any moments in Souls games where audio cues were crucially important, but it is pretty important at times to be mentally present. Especially if you're still on the side of things where you're learning and you don't really have the confidence to think that you can really meet the challenge, which is a real struggle, and even the people who become old hands at it fell in love at first over the struggle.

The original Plants vs. Zombies was really good for being a game that you could just keep plugging away at, and there's a steady progression all the way from start to end even though there's no real plot. Shadow of the Colossus is famously barebones, so is Shovel Knight. There's also a lot of Nintendo games with barely any plot, so they're very fun to just play through while focusing on other things. Mario Odyssey is great.

There's a number of games with plots that are easy to ignore. Incredible Hulk Ultimate Destruction used to be my favorite podcast game, since it's fun and the plot is pretty thin and easy to brush past, but it's kinda hard to play nowadays. Prototype is built on the same engine and more widely available, but there's more plot, more mechanics, and it kinda just looks grosser (prototype 2 has even more plot and cutscenes with the guy shouting gently caress all the time). Shadow of Mordor is also pretty famous for having an ignorable plot while you play around with killing orcs, but stealthing might take more mental energy.

And then there's a lot of roguelikes, which I guess then you bump against more how much you still care about the progression between runs. FTL is a favorite. Spelunky and Rogue Legacy are also fun.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Any sort of Diablo-like arpg works for me for podcast stuff. At least, once you have your build on lock.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I don't recall anything offhand from the previous From games but there's definitely several bosses in Elden Ring that have noticeable audio cues for their attacks. It's not strictly necessary though

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Paperhouse posted:

no story

Heat Signature

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Paperhouse posted:

no story

if you have game pass, either of the forza horizons (i like 5 better than 4 but ymmv and i personally dont like the new motorsport one) the two newish need for speeds or MS Flight Sim are good choices if you like that sort of thing although if you have crappy internet like i do, expect a long rear end download and you also need a half decent pc for any of them

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

SlothfulCobra posted:

there's a lot of roguelikes

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Boomer shooters qualify for everything but progression mechanics (you'll get a new gun every few maps and that's it). Check out Boltgun for example.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Paperhouse posted:

no story

Battle brothers maybe? You get a mercenary company. There's a story but you can mostly ignore it. At least I always did and let my company get wiped out by the Big Climactic Event

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Evergreen answer. I love this game so much

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Paperhouse posted:

no story

also in addition to what i added earlier, i'm also looking for games of this variety. roguelikes dont do it for me and i've played pretty much every game people have suggested so far.

e; emulators are fine too

Large Testicles fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Mar 7, 2024

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

This might hit too close to the "no roguelikes" request but a randomiser mod for an old game that you're vaguely familiar with might fit the bill?

https://www.debigare.com/randomizers/

LttP and Super Metroid have the most advanced rando scenes but there's loads of others. Metroid Fusion has quite a few shortcomings as a Metroid game but imo its randomiser makes it way more interesting

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Paperhouse posted:

no story

I don't have any recs that haven't been suggested already but I'm still mad about what Konami did to Pro Evo. It's a crying shame there aren't any good current football games now.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Heat Signature is a loving masterpiece.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Wrote this up in the RPG thread and figured maybe I should post it here, being a 'looking for recommendation' post:

FutureCop posted:

Anyone got some recommendations for lite/dungeon crawler RPG experiences? Was thinking about the upcoming Spring sale and wanted to get some potential targets to look for. I loved Grimrock 2, Barony, am currently enjoying Tower of Time, and have dabbled in Darkest Dungeon, Etrian Odyssey and Wizardry 8 but never finished them. If I were to look for anything, I was mostly thinking of an Etrian Odyssey-esque experience. Some criteria to help:

*Would prefer Steam/PC games.
*Would like to have something 'lite' in terms of complexity. Not easy, mind you: I want a challenge, but you know, something that's short-ish and I don't need to stress too hard about whether I'm making stupid build choices that'll hurt me later on and cause me to restart the whole game because there's no respec or something like that.
*Would like to have a nice party instead of solo, but not necessarily one that I need to build and manage a lot: for example, I liked building a great team composition of classes in Grimrock and Darkest Dungeon, and that it only had a bit of customization of their abilities and equipment (to be honest, I'd prefer if their moves were set in stone per class instead of letting me choose, and I just chose the default preset in Grimrock instead of custom).
*Would like an interesting hand-crafted world to explore with puzzles, secrets and so on, avoiding repetitive or randomly-constructed bland corridors: for example, I enjoyed Grimrock 2's diverse biomes much more than Grimrock 1's constant stone walls.
*Would like if there was a bit of story, intrigue and goals to hook me beyond "there's something at the bottom of this dungeon, now silently explore it for hours", but just a bit as I also don't wanna get bogged down in cutscenes/dialogue. For example, Tower of Time has some chatter and events happen as you progress, but it's largely short with gameplay still being the vast majority of time spent.
*While I would like combat to be rather action-y like Grimrock or Tower of Time, I don't mind turn-based if it is not too long and has some interesting strategy to it like Darkest Dungeon, instead of repetitive attack-spam random encounters (these could be ok if it's snappy, I suppose).

Candidates I was looking at were Potato Flowers in Full Bloom, Aarklash Legacy, Vaporum, Darkest Dungeon 2, Queen's Wish, Labyrinth of Refrain, Dark Envoy and Etrian Odyssey 3: any thoughts on those would be great, as well as new ones.

KNR
May 3, 2009

FutureCop posted:

Wrote this up in the RPG thread and figured maybe I should post it here, being a 'looking for recommendation' post:
The Guardians and Final Adventure mods for Grimrock 2 (https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=1712363347) are literally my favorite dungeon crawlers ever, and fit most of your criteria, except The Guardians doesn't have respecs and Final Adventure is probably a bit too long.

I also enjoyed Lost City, his first Grimrock 2 mod, but it's much less impressive than the latter two.

The Guardians does have a single stupid gotcha which can accidentally lock you out of the optional secret final boss: when you need to pay a gem to enter the rat city, pay a red one. Otherwise the mods are quite user friendly, though not to the extent of base Grimrock (which makes sure every thrown item anywhere is always retrievable so you can never throw away a quest item, these mods you generally want to keep anything that's not replenishable). I would recommend making extensive map notes for puzzle clues though. They are also popular enough that both have full steam guides.

KNR fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Mar 9, 2024

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

FutureCop posted:

Xanadu Next (is solo)

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Mods for games is a blind spot I always forget to consider and I did love Grimrock 2, so I'll give that a go! As for Xanadu Next, I've actually played that very recently and loved it! I should probably play all of Falcom's ARPGs while I'm at at.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Hey y'all! I'm looking for a game for my dad. I'm currently considering two options:

1. There's a game he played ages and ages ago, which might have been the first videogame he put some serious time into, and for this reason it dug a hole in his brain and therefore he's been bringing it up for the last couple of decades whenever a conversation even tangentially involves games. It was one of the minigames from Jagex's old Gamesdomain site, "Crypt" (or "Treasure Crypt"). I've looked around and there doesn't seem to be any way to play it, or any surviving footage, so I'm just looking for something that plays similarly enough. The game could be summed up as "babby's first roguelite" - turn-based, all combat is decided with simple dice rolls and two or three stats, very basic UI, simple 2d artstyle, average run lasts some 20 minutes. I was considering Grimrock, but it looks far too complex for him, plays in real time, and I'm pretty sure anything 3d with a first person view would give him motion sickness.

2. He usually goes for casual puzzle games, jigsaw collections or digital versions of classic tabletop games. I've noticed that some of those are kinda dodgy and he's spent a bit on games that dangle DLCs in front of him like a shiny set of keys, so I'm looking good alternatives that don't do that. Theme-wise, he likes games with a mystery setting, but he's not particularly interested in anything too narrative. I was thinking Regency Solitaire or its sequel would be the best fit for him, since gameplay wise it's the same old game with a few extra bells and whistles, plus a nice little story to frame it, but it has no Spanish translation -- his English is decent enough to be able to follow basic instructions and tutorials, but for anything more complex than that he'll at least need Spanish subtitles and/or interface.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

SexyBlindfold posted:

Hey y'all! I'm looking for a game for my dad. I'm currently considering two options:

1. There's a game he played ages and ages ago, which might have been the first videogame he put some serious time into, and for this reason it dug a hole in his brain and therefore he's been bringing it up for the last couple of decades whenever a conversation even tangentially involves games. It was one of the minigames from Jagex's old Gamesdomain site, "Crypt" (or "Treasure Crypt"). I've looked around and there doesn't seem to be any way to play it, or any surviving footage, so I'm just looking for something that plays similarly enough. The game could be summed up as "babby's first roguelite" - turn-based, all combat is decided with simple dice rolls and two or three stats, very basic UI, simple 2d artstyle, average run lasts some 20 minutes. I was considering Grimrock, but it looks far too complex for him, plays in real time, and I'm pretty sure anything 3d with a first person view would give him motion sickness.

It's older than Treasure Crypt but that description perfectly fits Cave Noire, an old roguelike for the Gameboy that still holds up really well today. It's simple but has very solid design, and runs only take about 15 minutes at most. There's an English fan translation but the game is mostly icon based so it's pretty easy to understand even without that.

Desktop Dungeon might be worth looking at too, it's a very puzzle-y sort of roguelike with short sessions and simple math, but a lot of depth and challenge as you get into it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SexyBlindfold posted:

2. He usually goes for casual puzzle games, jigsaw collections or digital versions of classic tabletop games. I've noticed that some of those are kinda dodgy and he's spent a bit on games that dangle DLCs in front of him like a shiny set of keys, so I'm looking good alternatives that don't do that. Theme-wise, he likes games with a mystery setting, but he's not particularly interested in anything too narrative. I was thinking Regency Solitaire or its sequel would be the best fit for him, since gameplay wise it's the same old game with a few extra bells and whistles, plus a nice little story to frame it, but it has no Spanish translation -- his English is decent enough to be able to follow basic instructions and tutorials, but for anything more complex than that he'll at least need Spanish subtitles and/or interface.
Dicey Dungeons might fit the first category? Could even sort of fit the second if you squint

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

SexyBlindfold posted:

Slice and Dice is coming out on Steam soon, and is already out on mobile. It's a run based puzzle rpg, where you roll and keep dice similar to Yahtzee and then allocate them to attack enemies or block attacks and such. Simple to pick up but very deep, and it's goon made.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

SexyBlindfold posted:

2. He usually goes for casual puzzle games, jigsaw collections or digital versions of classic tabletop games.

Talisman is a decent adaptation of a relatively simple but still fun tabletop game, with a straightforward interface and optional but trustworthy DLC. I think it's on sale rn too, at least it was something like 80% off the other day.

Alternatively, Balatro, if he likes cards.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

SexyBlindfold posted:

Castle of the Winds
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/castle-of-the-winds-1ph

Evig Vandrar
Jan 15, 2017

NihilCredo posted:

Then I think it's not suitable. I believe the 15-minute break is critical because it's a time slot that cannot be used for anything but reading (more on this later). Over the course of a week he'd just do other things.

And the "just read a book!" replies miss the point in the same way. Yeah, an adult should have the concentration ability to just read a book, and it's absolutely worth working on that, but the can already thank God he's in the 1% of first-worlders who aren't addicted to phone scrolling instead.

So if he already has a habit where his 15-minute downtime is spent reading instead of giggling at memes or smoking or snacking, probably safer to keep it.

Incremental games I think are worth a shot, as long as the rate of interaction required is roughly along those lines. They're not my genre at all, but I will recommend trying Universal Paperclips as it's free as well as a small, beautiful work of art - don't look up anything about the game because it's best experienced unspoiled, and even Wikipedia spoils the concept in the very first paragraph.

Otherwise, I'm gonna suggest finding an old, near-dead multiplayer game that appeals to you. For obvious reasons developers try to avoid downtime, but when a game has a sufficiently low number of concurrent players you'll end up with reasonably long matchmaking timers.

Trying Paperclips right now. Never played any idle games but this looks like it might work. Also thanks for understanding. I do read, but I do also game a lot, and sometimes I like to do both.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Pipski posted:

Talisman is a decent adaptation of a relatively simple but still fun tabletop game, with a straightforward interface and optional but trustworthy DLC. I think it's on sale rn too, at least it was something like 80% off the other day.

Alternatively, Balatro, if he likes cards.

Balatro absolutely hit my sweet spot for something to listen to an audiobook/podcast while playing. there's almost no reading but a warning to anyone looking at it, it is extremely addictive. it's basically a joke with everyone else i know playing that you'll start a game and then like 6 hours later look at the clock and go HOLY poo poo. it's also in a lot of different languages so it would be good for the poster's dad earlier who was a spanish speaker

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

looking for OoTP baseball but "lighter" or not sd crazy complex?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Kvlt! posted:

manager mode in Sensible World of Soccer?

vvv gotcha. My response was 1/2 not caring about how sports are different and 1/2 forgetting I wasn't in the management thread.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 14, 2024

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

manager mode in Sensible World of Soccer?

different sport but apprrciate the suggestion ty

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Kvlt! posted:

this might sound weird and i dont actually know if they're even available still but my favorite baseball game is the Baseball Superstars series for mobile. 2013 in particular

i've had it on my phone for over 10 years now

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

There's also super mega baseball 3/4 that have a franchise mode but you can watch the games instead of playing and do the team management. Nowhere near as deep though

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

garfield hentai posted:

I've tried out Factorio and Dyson Sphere Program and while I really like the concept and feeling of starting really small and scrounging for supplies and building and iterating until I have huge planet-spanning enterprise going on, the actual nuts and bolts of the gameplay where I'm setting up conveyors and robotic grabby arms and stuff feels annoyingly fiddly and tedious for me. Any suggestions for games - not necessarily in the same genre or anything - that give a similar feeling of starting with nothing and spiraling into something ridiculous?
Desynched. Instead of conveyors it's programmable, highly customisable agents, some mobile some not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Evig Vandrar posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking for something to facilitate my reading habit.

To be more accurate: I played a lot of World of Tanks this winter, and the way it works is that you have 15min matches, and if you get killed early you have to wait until the match is over. This gave me plenty of time to pick up a book or alttab out and read while waiting. The negative thing is that WoT tends to take over my life and I got bored of it.

So, what I'm looking for is a game with lots of downtime that doesn't require fast-twitch reflexes. More or less any genre would be fine
KSP1 without using the highest accelerations