Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Definitely dos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Electric Phantasm posted:

But also I do like got a slime that's more inline with Yuji's sketch, but still has that charm that makes Toriyama's design iconic.

So exciting when these guys show up!

Also, an excuse to post one of my fav YT vids:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txFoaxURoV4

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

looks like DOS in CGA mode to me
Yeah! The purple is such a hallmark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCGUC9KBGHE

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Annath posted:

The wiki said the Apple version was in Black and White, and the color version didn't come til the Amiga/Atari versions.

If you hooked an apple II up to a TV you'd get colours like that

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

No pain? Over in seconds? Seems like a good way to go.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Every game should have death descriptions like Shadowgate's. Especially roguelikes - the death paragraph would make a nice epitaph for a character, especially in the scoreboard.

What other games actually use them? Shadowgate's N64 sequel does, and I'd also count the game over screens in the Arkham games since they are situation-based (and awesome).

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
The news of Toriyama's passing is sad, and it kind of makes me feel guilty because I realize I still haven't played Chrono Trigger, and the only Dragon Quest game I've played is Builders 1.

Endorph posted:

there have been some decent dragon ball RPGs too, like attack of the saiyans or the latter two legacy of goku games

I dunno if it qualifies as an RPG (it's tagged as one on Steam), but is DBZ Kakarot a good title to pick up if you're not familiar with the franchise? I remember being told that when asking about DBZ games in another thread.

I've had the Xenoverse games on my wishlist for some time, but my main interest with those was that you could create your own character, and I got the impression they were closer to an MMO. I bought Dragon Ball FighterZ, but I haven't played it yet.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think like a lot of DBZ games (or any tie in games really) Kakarot is more for people who are already fans of the source material. I think it's really solid though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Max Wilco posted:

I've had the Xenoverse games on my wishlist for some time, but my main interest with those was that you could create your own character, and I got the impression they were closer to an MMO. I bought Dragon Ball FighterZ, but I haven't played it yet.

Xenoverse is kinda closer to..I dunno, PSO I guess where you're doing discreet missions as opposed to dungeons or fields

XV2 is fun but it's also eight years old and still getting updates somehow and I wish they'd do a thrid one becuase I swear they initally said 2 would be more of a '1.5' while they did something more susbtantial for 3 lol

It does have the most DIMPS bad AI next to Fatal Bullet however.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Xenoverse 2 can be done entirely offline, you can work with AI companions (but real players make those missions so much easier, of course). If you aren't familiar with the franchise just go for 2 over 1 because 2 has pretty much everything from 1 (including side quests) aside from 1's main story. There's quite a lot of content.

I went back earlier this month to shave off the last few trophies I needed (still need Krillin and Yamcha lessons, I always ignored those popups before like a fool) and I didn't realize they added lobbies you can move around in during quest searching. I'd love to see an X3 but I can't imagine it'll be soon since they just announced ps5/series X versions for 2. Definitely gonna check the ps5 version out when it hits.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Anyone got some recommendations for lite/dungeon crawler RPG experiences? Was thinking about the upcoming Spring sale and wanted to get some potential targets to look for. I loved Grimrock 2, Barony, am currently enjoying Tower of Time, and have dabbled in Darkest Dungeon, Etrian Odyssey and Wizardry 8 but never finished them. If I were to look for anything, I was mostly thinking of an Etrian Odyssey-esque experience. Some criteria to help:

*Would prefer Steam/PC games.
*Would like to have something 'lite' in terms of complexity. Not easy, mind you: I want a challenge, but you know, something that's short-ish and I don't need to stress too hard about whether I'm making stupid build choices that'll hurt me later on and cause me to restart the whole game because there's no respec or something like that.
*Would like to have a nice party instead of solo, but not necessarily one that I need to build and manage a lot: for example, I liked building a great team composition of classes in Grimrock and Darkest Dungeon, and that it only had a bit of customization of their abilities and equipment (to be honest, I'd prefer if their moves were set in stone per class instead of letting me choose, and I just chose the default preset in Grimrock instead of custom).
*Would like an interesting hand-crafted world to explore with puzzles, secrets and so on, avoiding repetitive or randomly-constructed bland corridors: for example, I enjoyed Grimrock 2's diverse biomes much more than Grimrock 1's constant stone walls.
*Would like if there was a bit of story, intrigue and goals to hook me beyond "there's something at the bottom of this dungeon, now silently explore it for hours", but just a bit as I also don't wanna get bogged down in cutscenes/dialogue. For example, Tower of Time has some chatter and events happen as you progress, but it's largely short with gameplay still being the vast majority of time spent.
*While I would like combat to be rather action-y like Grimrock or Tower of Time, I don't mind turn-based if it is not too long and has some interesting strategy to it like Darkest Dungeon, instead of repetitive attack-spam random encounters (these could be ok if it's snappy, I suppose).

Candidates I was looking at were Potato Flowers in Full Bloom, Aarklash Legacy, Vaporum, Darkest Dungeon 2, Queen's Wish, Labyrinth of Refrain, Dark Envoy and Etrian Odyssey 3: any thoughts on those would be great, as well as new ones.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Etrian Odyssey Untold sounds better for you than standard Etrian Odyssey. Just a bit more story/chatter and preset classes so it's less likely that you make a useless party.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

whatever you do, don't buy elminage gothic. it's a really cool and weird and unique game that is one billion percent not for you

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It's not on PC outside of emulation, but I'd think Etrian Odyssey V would be better than EO III. Resetting a character's skillpoints costs just 2 levels instead of 5. The XP share for characters that are not currently in your party is an accessory (Memory Conch) that one active person needs to equip, instead of having it be a skill that each character needs to invest in like III (Combat Study).

I don't think there is a lot of intrigue/story to the dungeon, but it has a lot more dungeon events and race related skills which give your characters a tiny bit more identity (along with the voice barks). In the beginning of the game classes are locked to certain races, but that restriction is removed by the starting quest on the very first floor. There's room to experiment, although consulting an online skill simulator to see what specific skill points do is something that helps.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Mar 9, 2024

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Undernauts: Labyrinth of Yomi is cool, it's somewhat straightforward in character build but the environment and world is horror themed and you don't tend to get many of those

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I know Stranger of Sword City exists, and I remember it being decently well reviewed when it originally launched on the Vita, but I don't know how well it meets your criteria because I haven't played it lol.

Is it good? Even if it's nothing something that Goon is looking for, I've been thinking about picking up the Steam version.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

I dunno if it qualifies as an RPG (it's tagged as one on Steam), but is DBZ Kakarot a good title to pick up if you're not familiar with the franchise? I remember being told that when asking about DBZ games in another thread.

kakarot is okay. its kiiind of an action rpg but basically all the major fights are one on one, and it uses a slight expansion of the combat system from xenoverse. its definitely pandering to nostalgia since its just a redo of the series with a bunch of side quests focused on fleshing out really minor bits of lore, but its a decent game.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Annath posted:

I know Stranger of Sword City exists, and I remember it being decently well reviewed when it originally launched on the Vita, but I don't know how well it meets your criteria because I haven't played it lol.

Is it good? Even if it's nothing something that Goon is looking for, I've been thinking about picking up the Steam version.

I liked it, but it's pretty unforgiving. The biggest culprit is the LP system: your party members have a very limited number of Life Points, lose one if they die, permadie if they hit zero LP, and can only regain them by either sitting out of your active party for several battles or using rare consumable items. Your main character is exempt from this system, but every other party member basically needs to have a stand-in who can fill in for them in case they die. The combat is also more about attrition and risk management than complex tactics; you have some control over what fights you pick and how hard they are, and strategy mostly revolves around figuring out how hard you can push your luck without getting killed.

Plotwise there is definitely Stuff going on, but it's presented in the old-school tradition of having story revelations hit you in the back of the head with a hammer once or twice per dungeon rather than through in-depth character exploration or interaction. (Not that the characters aren't there, but each of them has maybe a few paragraphs worth of text spread throughout the story explaining what their deal is and then you move on.)

But if none of that scares you off, sure, give it a try.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Mar 9, 2024

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Annath posted:

It's good, though Undernauts is from the same dev and would be more in line with what they're looking for. Stranger of Sword City can be a lil punishing about builds and you gotta make permanent choices early on, meanwhile with Undernauts you can respec at any time for free, nothing is permanent.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

FutureCop posted:

Anyone got some recommendations for lite/dungeon crawler RPG experiences? Was thinking about the upcoming Spring sale and wanted to get some potential targets to look for. I loved Grimrock 2, Barony, am currently enjoying Tower of Time, and have dabbled in Darkest Dungeon, Etrian Odyssey and Wizardry 8 but never finished them. If I were to look for anything, I was mostly thinking of an Etrian Odyssey-esque experience.

I'd put Dungeon Encounters on your list. It's bracingly simple and elegant, there's no build choices, and it's not too long. There are a lot of bland corridors, but I think it still might be up your alley; it checks most of your boxes other than that.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

FutureCop posted:

Candidates I was looking at were Potato Flowers in Full Bloom, Aarklash Legacy, Vaporum, Darkest Dungeon 2, Queen's Wish, Labyrinth of Refrain, Dark Envoy and Etrian Odyssey 3: any thoughts on those would be great, as well as new ones.

Potato Flowers in Full Bloom checks every box you’re looking for. I played through it recently myself and was very impressed, it’s short but it has a lot of charm and is very well put together.

It has a demo that can carry over to the full game if you want to check it out.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Thanks for the advice all! Got a lot to add to the list and consider (well, apart from Elminage Gothic haha). Good to know that Potato Flowers should be a hit: that's what I felt would fit the most as well. I do have a 3DS so Etrian Odyssey Untold sounds like it would be a great fit too: damnit all, if I'd known sooner I woulda snatched it off the 3DS store before it closed down! I do have Etrian Odyssey 4 still on there at least: maybe I'll give that a go sometime as well since I think I only scratched its surface back then.

Was looking around Steam and I did come across Starcrawlers: do you think this would be a good fit? Also as a Disgaea fan, I'm still a bit interested in Labyrinth of Refrain/Galleria, but perhaps they'd be a mismatch with my sensibilities?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The two labyrinth games are cute looking(ish) and have decentish mechanics. The writing is intentionally grotesquely horrible to everyone and for me started feeling fetishistic in its descriptions of characters suffering and arent deep enough mechanically to justify their total length.

The second one also eventually requires random rare drops to progress and then about 1/3rd into the game switches to all randomized dungeon layouts for the rest of the game so laffo there goes any design improvements over the first.

If I can recommend one, Operencia is fun if easy and short for genre.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

FutureCop posted:

Also as a Disgaea fan, I'm still a bit interested in Labyrinth of Refrain/Galleria, but perhaps they'd be a mismatch with my sensibilities?

They're pretty convoluted mechanically and plotwise (I mean that in a great way) and much like Disgaea is to srpgs you eventually play them with a different mindset from the usual entries in the genre. Galleria in particular might be some of the best writing I've seen from NIS.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

FutureCop posted:

Was looking around Steam and I did come across Starcrawlers: do you think this would be a good fit?

I personally liked Starcrawlers quite a bit. It does have character customization but it basically just comes down to 3 skill trees per class; builds tend to be pretty easy because you can just pick a tree and invest all your points in it and have a build. Also respecs aren't free but they're extremely cheap so its quite easy to fix any mistakes, or get rid of a skill you don't like.

IMO its got a somewhat interesting story, its mostly about a spaceship fitted with experimental technology that got lost, and most of the developments revolve around different factions trying to use your party in different ways to reclaim it. It is fairly light though, at the end of the day you're mostly dungeon (or well, office and spaceship) crawling.

Probably the most divisive thing about it is, in addition to the story missions which are hand crafted, there's a bunch of side missions that are all procedurally generated. And if you try to just beeline the main story you'll be underleveled quick, so you'll want to do at least some of them. I personally didn't have a problem with it, I enjoyed the looting and fighting enough, but it's definitely a dealbreaker for a lot of people.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

Unicorn Overlord is beating FF7Rebirth right now for playtime.

because for Rebirth I feel I have to commit to each session and need to spend at least 2-3 hours at time for the cinematic experience.

Unicorn, I can do bits and pieces and still feel like I go the experience doing just 1-2 maps at a time before work and after work.

both i'm enjoying, just the different pace i'm having with it

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Endorph posted:

i dont think FF14 is like that because of The Meta, i think they just want the game to be fairly simple

I would also contend that nothing has fundamentally changed much about the game in a long time (after least since early Stormblood which is when I first played a lot) and a lot of the extra button-pressing complexity that uses to exist was very superficial/unnecessary in nature. It was stuff like "there are extra damage types and this one job is best at buffing this one damage type," which is a completely uninteresting and unnecessary sort of complexity IMO

I almost entirely choose FF14 jobs based off of aesthetic, because there aren't any deep differences between the way you play jobs within a role, with the exception of maybe something like BLM (and the ranged/melee dichotomy in general). It's just "which sort of button algorithm do you prefer for your preferred role."

Part of me thinks FF14 should take its PVP and limited job philosophy further and let you do a lot of cool unbalanced poo poo in single-player questing that isn't accessible in dungeons/raids.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Ytlaya posted:

I would also contend that nothing has fundamentally changed much about the game in a long time (after least since early Stormblood which is when I first played a lot) and a lot of the extra button-pressing complexity that uses to exist was very superficial/unnecessary in nature. It was stuff like "there are extra damage types and this one job is best at buffing this one damage type," which is a completely uninteresting and unnecessary sort of complexity IMO

I almost entirely choose FF14 jobs based off of aesthetic, because there aren't any deep differences between the way you play jobs within a role, with the exception of maybe something like BLM (and the ranged/melee dichotomy in general). It's just "which sort of button algorithm do you prefer for your preferred role."

Part of me thinks FF14 should take its PVP and limited job philosophy further and let you do a lot of cool unbalanced poo poo in single-player questing that isn't accessible in dungeons/raids.

The complaints are mostly from people who have been changed a fair bit from way back when. Healers, pre-shb drk's, pre-ew smn's, pre-sb mch. Maybe pre-ew monks but I never hear any of the 3 monk mains complaining. Regardless of personal opinion on the state of these jobs, if you liked the old ones and don't like the new ones, you're gonna be mad. Though for my money, I think new mch and smn are great, but I kinda do think their healer design is lackluster and definitely feel like sb drk was better than it's current iteration. It's hard to say that drk, mch, and smn aren't significantly different now than they used to be. Same with sch and ast frankly.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I play RDM because high fashion is more important than having skill.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2507400/Penny_Blood_Hellbound/

penny blood (the kickstarted shadow hearts successor) has a prequel roguelike out, apparently

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Arzaac posted:

I personally liked Starcrawlers quite a bit. It does have character customization but it basically just comes down to 3 skill trees per class; builds tend to be pretty easy because you can just pick a tree and invest all your points in it and have a build. Also respecs aren't free but they're extremely cheap so its quite easy to fix any mistakes, or get rid of a skill you don't like.

IMO its got a somewhat interesting story, its mostly about a spaceship fitted with experimental technology that got lost, and most of the developments revolve around different factions trying to use your party in different ways to reclaim it. It is fairly light though, at the end of the day you're mostly dungeon (or well, office and spaceship) crawling.

Probably the most divisive thing about it is, in addition to the story missions which are hand crafted, there's a bunch of side missions that are all procedurally generated. And if you try to just beeline the main story you'll be underleveled quick, so you'll want to do at least some of them. I personally didn't have a problem with it, I enjoyed the looting and fighting enough, but it's definitely a dealbreaker for a lot of people.

gonna throw in a +1 for starcrawlers, was a pleasant surprise to play and agree with this goon's take on it

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
been throwing chrono cross into rotation on and off and I'm relatively close to the homestretch, at the Dragon run now, and easily my least favourite part of the whole game

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hot take incoming: Chrono Cross is my least favorite Square game i've ever played. Why this is odd is that Chrono Trigger ranks as my number 1 favorite video game ever made. But nothing about Cross felt good to me.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I think the more highly one rates Chrono Trigger the less generous one is likely to be towards Chrono Cross.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Hot take incoming: Chrono Cross is my least favorite Square game i've ever played. Why this is odd is that Chrono Trigger ranks as my number 1 favorite video game ever made. But nothing about Cross felt good to me.

my least favorite is their tom sawyer game that depicts jim like this

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Endorph posted:

my least favorite is their tom sawyer game that depicts jim like this

ooh my I have never seen or heard of this game before and I am glad for it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theres a random enemy in that game with the power to instantly boot you back to the title screen. hope youve saved bitch.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I love CT but Cross has a special place in my heart as well, it's a wholly different beast and also the culmination of Square's excellent run of titles in the psx era. It's as unconventional as polished.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Runa posted:

I think the more highly one rates Chrono Trigger the less generous one is likely to be towards Chrono Cross.
I like both a lot. There are few PS1 RPGs I would pick over Cross even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

For chrono cross I just didn’t expect to play half the game as a furry.
Badass commercial though and one of the best OP cinematic ost