Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

FakePoet posted:

Are the Legendary Edition Mass Effect(s) a good time? I think a LONG time ago I started the first one, and ended up distracted by whatever, and never got back around to playing any of them.

They're very good. ME1 had the biggest overhaul while the other two just got a bit of a facelift and polish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
CEMU BotW is very good and runs full 60+fps easily with Vulkan. Also tons of great mods (Linkle) so you're even getting a better game :v:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
The best part of heat signature is while the game points you to stealth you can totally ignore it and blaze through with a full auto shotgun, personal shield, and grenade launcher. Turn the ships into warzones and bring them back to sell for sweet cash.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

FreshFeesh posted:

Some friends and I have being playing Heroes of the Storm for the past few years, but none of us want to support Blizzard, and I'm looking for something new we can try that's largely skill-based, competitive, and isn't an FPS. One of us has played League of Legends before, but it didn't seem to be a big hit when it was suggested. I'm definitely open to ideas outside the MOBA genre.

We've looked at Valheim and similar titles but unfortunately base-building/survival games don't do it for the whole group (normally 3-4 of us). I would love to get some recommendations I could pose to the group as we look to find better game studios to support.

Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance with the Forged Alliance Forever overhaul/rebalance and community. Top down, 1v1 to 8v8, massive maps, massive stompy robits, nukes, artillery, massive explosions. Games usually take about an hour for larger teams/maps.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 5, 2022

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Ori got a sequel in Will of the Wisps if you haven't played it. Is very good.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Speaking of this, I just downloaded the mod after seeing it on a youtube LP, and I don't know whether I'm missing some options or the LPer is using some extra QoL mods. Of the top of my head, needing to double click to move and agent, with the first click showing path and remaining TUs, showing whether your shots have actually damaged an enemy, and whether you can safely sell something because you have already researched it. I'm almost sure that's not in the manual.

Does anyone have a list of QoL mods for X-files?

Those are all hotkeys under the options, extended I think. iirc ctrl+H for the shot hits/misses/zero damage, shift+click for the green lines with TUs that's colour coded for which actions you can take, and you can middle click an item to see what research it's part of and whether it has been done. While you're there set a key for permanent 'night vision' - no gamplay effect, just makes it easier to see for you, the player. On the world map there's a button labeled something like 'extended' that has a bunch of the QoL options like the research tree, funding, etc (which are also hotkeys)

There's no real QoL mods afaik but Arsenal Additions is very good for filling out the early-to-mid game equipment.

Other random stuff: Don't forget to set your agents to train under Agents-Training - it'll turn them all into decent soldiers over time. 'Medals' for doing various things with an agent are very powerful and the primary way of increasing stats after training. The monthly income is not meant to be your primary money source until mid-late game - cash drops from the cults are so make sure to always be farming them if you can and minimizing explosives. The animals are incredibly deadly, just as a warning.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jun 9, 2022

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Starsector's release schedule is such that 'soon' can be anything from 3 months to 2 years.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Diogines posted:

Which is to say that Xenonauts which is basically X-Com, but given better graphics and a UI is also one of my favorites. I am not aware of any similar games which really get the X-Com formula right but have not ruled out the possibility that they might exist! Can anyone recommend one?

Have you tried getting into mods for the original XCom? You've got polishes like FinalModPack all the way to full overhauls like the WH30k mod. Personal favourite is XCom Files which is still being actively worked on.

The graphics overhauls help make it cleaner but it's still very 90s, while the QoL additions added by OXC over the years has made it very streamlined and polished and much more intuitive than the base games alone.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Vadun posted:

Golden Treasure maybe? It was in one of the big Itch[.]io charity bundles, so you may own it already

https://dreaming-door.itch.io/gt1

Cheers for mentioning this as I just lost a few hours to a game I didn't even know I owned. It's real good.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

That looks like it could be exactly what I was looking for, provided it's a systems-driven game rather than just a puzzle game.
It's hard to tell from the description but they do have a demo.

It's a puzzle game with a very limited number of events that once you know the signs of are very easy to counter. Solid game until you do solve them - definitely don't look up a guide.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Was SPAZ2 good? I remember having a lot of fun in SPAZ1 but I wasn't sure if the transition to 3D worked or not.

I kinda bounced off My Time at Portia for some reason. Maybe it was still early access? I think the characters didn't quite resonate with me.

SPAZ 2 was okay but doesn't play anything like SPAZ 1. I think I picked it up for :10bux: and it was well worth that.

The characters in MTAP are still, even after release, quite clunky and generally barebones compared to others in the genre and is more of a management/exploration game than a city interaction one. My Time at Sandrock, their second game in early access, is much better about filling out the social side if that's more your thing.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Zam Wesell posted:

Okay, so I’ve played Stardew to death, and most recently Dreamlight Valley. What are some other similar games I should check out?

I’ve got an Xbox Series X, M1 Mac (with Crossover) and a recent iPad.

Rune Factory 4S
Graveyard Keeper
My Time at Portia

Without knowing what you liked about the games it's hard to be more specific but those are all popular releases.

Honourable mention to Coral Island which is (very) early access still and is heavily inspired by both SDV and its predecessors.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 5, 2022

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Mescal posted:

when ppl say lego games are good for co-op, which ones do they mean? the superhero ones are on humlbe rn, but i assume that's just like "heres a batman game with a lego skin." is there one like where the gameplay is cooperative construction puzzle solving and combat?

So the general lego-game formula is having 2 active characters running around on screen at once that you can hot swap between so doing MP just means not having to hotswap. They're all very similar and the construction is split between 'automatic' types where you break some things on the map for pieces that then assemble and 'manual' which are generally big blocks that you can stack to make stairs or whatever - very simple. Combat is simple so don't go into them expecting anything too deep.

Most of the depth of the games is based around exploring the worlds for collectibles which unlock characters/ships/skins/etc. and minigames so perfect for dragging a chillfriend along.

Basically just choose whichever one has the skin you want and they'll all play mostly the same with later entries just having more collectibles stuffed in.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

bawk posted:

Core Keeper's been doing this in a pretty swell way.

Core Keeper is an incredibly good multiplayer game fwiw even though I didn't care much playing it on single player.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I want to like Factorio but seem to mostly bounce off of it every time I try the demo. The $30 price tag is also a bit too rich for my blood. Is there another game that might scratch that same itch?

Shapez $3 on sale right now. It's factorio distilled down to its most pure form.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

ZeusCannon posted:

I had Planetary Annihilation but I remember it being underwhelming. Did it get improved?

It has gotten pretty constant updates and it's a solid game but will always have the problem of being set on globes and multiple planets which is a huge pain to anyone starting out.

Personally though I prefer SupCom FAF over PA:T

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 9, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Know it's a bit of a dead genre but have there been any semi-recent games in the vein of Uplink?
Already played through Onlink (Uplink mod), Hacknet - a bit too arcadey, but still fun -, zachtronics games as puzzles, and NiteTeam 4 but haven't really found anything that scratches the right theme.

Graphics don't really matter.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

DoubleDonut posted:

Did anyone ever make any games that are anything like Sid Meier's Pirates? I don't care if they're actually pirate-themed or not but those games are really cool

Just last month Tortuga - A Pirate's Tale released which is basically SM: Pirates modernized. I've only seen reviews though and have been tempted to pick it up myself.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Saul Kain posted:

Aww I played a lot of Starbound years ago, what happened?

Extremely poor working conditions, abuse, bullying, exploitation of teenagers, and not paying developers to name a few!

The controversy is a few years old now but the polygon article from the time is still likely one of the best resources.

Almost no one has profit sharing anyways so the people who were exploited to work for minimal/no pay didn't even receive sales money.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 24, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

khy posted:

Is there anything else out there or coming soonish that might fit that bill?

Colony Survival is the closest I can think of but it's only shakily related. You build a base for npcs to give jobs to which does include bunch of different craftings and tech tiers that you go through. At night you have to have dudes who defend the base and its gets harder the more wealth you have. You can still run around with a bow yourself to help defend or whatever but most of the time you'll be placing down crafting stations and telling your dudes where to build. The only non-combat 'survival' aspect is having to feed your dudes or they die, though.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 18, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

If you like x-com style games then the original (1994) version is very low weight and still actively being developed with a good-sized modding scene: OpenXcom. The X-Com Files mod is a good entry with only being slightly harder but much more content packed than unmodded.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Splicer posted:

E: lol I'm thinking of stationeers. Or space engineers. Which one has the best co-op space gardening.

Stationeers is, imo, the better of the two games and for your specific criteria is easily the winner. Space Engineers is still a decent game but is more sandboxy build-your-own-spaceship and shoot each other vibes where-as Stationeers is survive-on-a-planet.

Do be warned that Stationeers is not an easy game and has an intentionally obtuse UI and mechanics where you're highly likely to accidently turn your base into a crater when you turn on your welding torch in the 100% oxygen shelter you just set up.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Are there any games that are specifically about immoral destroying of ecosystem(s) for the purposes of heavy industrialization?

There's a bunch of games like No Man's Sky, which is close but those game usually have absolutely zero feedback when it comes to your destruction of nature. No crying baby seals dying from pollution.

Factorio is the only game I can think of, as it specifically deals with you filling wildlands with pollution and destroying the ecosystem.

I mean. It's not solely about it but Eco is balanced around multiplayer where obliterating the ecosystem for profit is highly possible and you can absolutely drive species to extinction and cause catastrophic sealevel change.

The beginning of the tech tree and most common is mostly nature destruction through logging and overhunting but if you decide to not control pollution and just dump it like a proper capitalist would you'll have plenty of options with industrial processes as tech progresses.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Heat Signature is incredible and It's only flaw is that there's not enough of it.

No Heat Signature 2 is the biggest travesty.