Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I'm looking for a game, preferably on the PC, with good "survive the siege" gameplay in it. Think of a Helm's Deep-esque scenario, or a group of people trying to survive a relentless horde of zombies surrounding their fortified place, or just a generic group of modern soldiers trying to survive the siege of a much larger force, stuff like that. It can even be just a good segment or two out of a much longer game not dedicated to this, that would be fine. But if there are any games actually centered around this premise entirely, that would be great! Resource management and options you can pick to fortify your place would be cool.

The best example I can think of off the top of my head is Dwarf Fortress, where you often find yourself having to bunker down against a potent threat, such as a goblin seige, a horde of elephants like the one that caused hell for Boatmurdered, or even just one single bad motherfucker that's a pain in the rear end to get rid of. Such seiges can often be very challenging, and if they come at a really bad time, many of your dwarves end up dying of starvation, thirst, or just end up going stark raving mad inside your fort and killing each other. Often everyone dies. Sometimes you overcome the odds and win! Which is a great feeling.

I love that type of gameplay, especially if a lot of depth is involved, and I hope that there are some good games I don't know of that have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Anyone know of any good sports fighting games that I haven't played yet? I like all the Fight Night games from 3 to Champion, the UFC Undisputed games, and EA MMA. In particular, I always wanted to try a good kickboxing game, if it exists. I do not like regular fighting games such as Tekken or Street Fighter.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

MrSmokes posted:

Anyone know of any good sports fighting games that I haven't played yet? I like all the Fight Night games from 3 to Champion, the UFC Undisputed games, and EA MMA. In particular, I always wanted to try a good kickboxing game, if it exists. I do not like regular fighting games such as Tekken or Street Fighter.

Just reposting in hopes that someone has something. If it helps, I'd also like a game with good/fun fighting mechanics in it, but isn't a sports fighting game itself. Like, I enjoyed throwing down in The Warriors, and in GTA4: Ballad of Gay Tony's fight club.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

What are some good games that look great and will test a PC's power? Upgraded my PC (now have an i5-3570k, 8GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 560 Ti) and I'm looking for something that'll really make use of it. I'm open to pretty much anything that isn't a strategy game. The genres I like are action RPGs, action-adventure and FPS games. I don't want to play Crysis, Battlefield 3, or the STALKER games because I've played those quite a lot, and I'm not interested in Mass Effect.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

What are some shooting games that have good damage/gore physics which allow you to tear enemies apart with guns? I really like Soldier of Fortune II because of that (I've never had more fun with a shotgun in a game) and I'm looking for more games with that kind of realistic damage. Binary Domain is another good example. I could spend hours blasting apart robots in that game.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

What are some more games that feature realistic damage/injuries to enemies (and sometimes yourself), but aren't realism sims like ARMA? Examples of games like this that I've enjoyed are the Bushido Blade series, Soldier of Fortune 2, Binary Domain, and the STALKER games. Just looking for something new that is similar to any of those types of games. I've gotten tired of games where enemies take more damage than they should, and just keep fighting you the same way without suffering any ill effects until their HP reaches 0.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I'm looking for a game where you just...destroy lots of stuff, whether it be buildings or people or both. Basically a game you can take out your frustrations on and just annihilate everything in your path with little, if any, opposition, and have a good time doing it. I'm not interested in sillier games like Saint's Row that do this though. Looking for more serious and brutal stuff like Prototype. I prefer FPS games, third person games and tactical games where you can control an army.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

What are some games with exploration and a quiet, immersive atmosphere? An example I keep thinking of is Shadow of the Colossus on PS2. I liked the journey to each colossus almost as much as I liked fighting them. There's a bunch of scenic locations that aren't even on the way to the battles, you can just stumble across them and there's no point to them, they're just their own reward. I'm looking for stuff like that, exploration that you do for its own sake, not so much to find collectibles and whatnot. Genre doesn't matter.

Queering Wheel fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Oct 29, 2016

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

What are some games where you can be like John Wick and get brutal, quick kills on loads of enemies, using guns and hand to hand combat? I like Payday 2 for that (especially since you can actually BE Wick), GTA, and the Hotline Miami games. Counter Strike also fits the bill to a lesser extent (it's a lot harder to go on a killing spree without dying yourself.) Anything else out there?

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

SUPERHOT isn't great but gets this particular aspect down perfectly. Watching the real-time replay at the end makes you feel like a cool rear end-dude.

Resident Evil 6 is... interesting but has a really great combat system, with quick-shots, sliding, dodging, loads of contextual melee moves, counters and so on. The transition between melee and gunning is done really, really well, it feels less like two binary states and more like one smooth, combined set of moves where you always have a few different options in any given situation.

RONIN is a really good and underrated game which takes a bit from Hotline Miami, a bit from Gunpoint etc. Basically you use an extremely flexible set of core moves to kill everyone in the room in a turn-based 2D stealth-ish platformer style. It works a lot better than it sounds like it should!

Thanks, I haven't played any of these so I'll look into them.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

You mean like Doom?

Yeah, I guess the new Doom is also similar to what I want. I already have it, still working on beating it.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Did you ever play Volition's Punisher game?

I rented it around when it came out and I remember not being very impressed.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I'm looking for some more single player games that are mostly quiet and good for listening to music/podcasts while playing. The ones I currently play are still great, but are getting a bit overplayed, so I'm looking for something new.

For this I play a lot of Noita with the music off, all of the Souls games/the good Soulslikes, Death Stranding, and I also enjoy quiet puzzle games like The Witness, The Room series, or Talos Principle. All of these games have lots of cool exploration and a nice variance of environments, which I guess is what I like most about them. Looking for more of that. (I am not really interested in realistic trucking sims, but could be persuaded to try one maybe)

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Snake Maze posted:

A Monster's Expedition is a really good, chill puzzle game, I'd recommend it if you're looking for something to fill a similar niche to Talos or The Witness.

I'll check it out, looks really cute!

fez_machine posted:

Seconding A Monster's Expedition, there's also the newly released Islands of Insight which is very chill but does have some optional sound puzzles.

Snowrunner is Death Stranding but trucks and is a standard podcast game recommendation. Another truck game (although you don't do any driving) is Logisitcal. You're mainly picking apart huge networks of logistical chains, not constructing them like in Factorio.

I'm currently playing a lot of Dysmantle as a podcast game. There's very little to it. The entire game is methodically hitting things so they explode in to crafting materials so you can hit things better, the environments are pretty nice though especially the DLC areas.

These all sound interesting enough, I'll look into them. My IRL job involves dealing with logistics so it might be fun to play a gamified form of that.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Far: Lone Sail and its sequel might interest you on the chill side of things. Technically you could call it a sidescrolling trucking game, but it's got a a fairly unique premise. There's also Journey, but that's pretty short. Maybe Subnautica could get you more into survival games (although unlike most survival games, it's not a randomly generated world, so it's kind of on the fringe of the genre).

I think Assassin's Creed Origins might be something to look into on the action game side of things. Most of the Assassin's Creed games you can kinda just zone out on the plot if you want and just plow through and enjoy the very elaborately created environments packed full of thoroughly-researched historical details, and there's been a major exploration element to the series for a while, but I feel like Origins has the most elaborate and diverse environments. Egypt has swamps, cities, forests, rivers, the coast, and many different types of desert.

Witcher 3 is also a very pretty game, but there's a whole lot of very good writing that you might want to pay attention to. I guess that's the problem with a lot of good games to suggest. MGSV is also pretty and fun, but you might end up having to think too much about the environment in trying to figure out how to deal with all the enemies. Shadow of Mordor is great, but I'm not sure how satisfying the environments are.

Maybe Hollow Knight? Control? But there's also auditory elements there and shooters are harder to chill out on.

I have the first Far: Lone Sails game and played it for about an hour ages ago. I remember liking it and I'm not sure why I stopped playing, so I'll give it another look. I've beaten Journey, Subnautica, Control and MGSV and liked them all, but am not really interested in replaying them. Mmmmaybe MGSV? Putting together an army and upgrading my base was really fun, and the gameplay felt good (I also love all the MGS games), but the open world was not varied enough for my taste.

I haven't played an AC game since 1 and 2, so I might check Origins out. I liked 1 and 2 but felt like I had gotten my fill of the formula, so didn't continue with the series. I've also heard that Black Flag is a cool pirate game with fun ship mechanics?

Hollow Knight is another good suggestion, I still need to finish it and it's been a while since I played! I could start a new game and it would probably feel fresh enough. That's why I like revisiting The Witness occasionally, I always forget how to do many of the puzzles and so they feel somewhat fresh. I also love the colorful world and how quiet/peaceful the game is.

ilmucche posted:

art of rally might be good, it's pretty chill rallying game and there's no co driver so you can just drive

Not looking for racing games right now, but I like playing them sometimes and I like the art style/graphics on this one. I might try it sometime.

Party Boat posted:

You don't really "explore" (although there's a variety of areas) but Powerwash Simulator is up there as podcast games go

Also not quite what I'm looking for, but I might grab this on sale sometime because powerwashing is definitely satisfying.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Paperhouse posted:

looking for a game/games to listen to music/podcasts to. My go to game for this is Pro Evolution Soccer but I've played it to death at this point. What I liked about it for this purpose though:

no story
no important audio in the game
good gameplay and replayability
decent progression (I liked playing manager mode, buying/selling players and improving the squad and stuff)
simple enough that I could pay attention to the music/podcast while playing

I guess the obvious answer is other sports games, but I don't like most other sports that much

This may not work, but I love all the Souls games/good Soulslikes for this. They have story, but I don't play them for the story, I play them for the fun gameplay, cool worlds, and the power fantasy. They are mostly quiet outside of boss fight music/atmospheric music in some areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

HenryEx posted:

Man, don't i just hate it when side characters involve the player in whatever they do instead of just doing and saying all their poo poo off-screen and just hit the things for me

It's almost like there's a reasonable middle ground between this and being a therapist. A middle ground that the poster is probably okay with.