Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Are there any games in the Settlers series that have an option to play without combat and conquest? Or any other Settler-like games, for that matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I'm looking for a PC RPG where the player character can unironically be a big drat hero who saves the day and that day stays saved. A straightforward feel-good power fantasy in the spirit of a Paragon playthrough of Mass Effect 2.

Not looking for: grimdark everything-is-shades-of-gray-and brown settings, pyrrhic victories that were never worth fighting for, cynical parodies that take the piss out of heroic tropes.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

bawk posted:

Doesn't necessarily need to be a citysim either, I moreso just want to be handed a piece of poo poo beginner's building/hub/city/ship/whatever and turn it into a really cool lived-in space.
This is going to be a controversial option, but Disney Dreamlight Valley is that kind of game.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I'm looking for something like Cultist Simulator but made by non-horrible people.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I'm looking for a strategy game where I can grow and manage a domain, but without war mechanics (or at least with highly abstracted ones). Something like a noncombat version of Lords of the Realm, or a medieval King of Dragon Pass.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

Played Roadwarden and Suzerain recently and really enjoyed both. Does anyone have any recommendations for CYOA narrative games in the same vain?

I've already played Norco, Citizen Sleeper, Disco Elysium, Pentiment and most of the good telltale games. Not really sure what else is out there but I enjoy the more "advanced" CYOA/visual novel type games. For example, Roadwarden had hunger, sleep, timed quests, etc. Suzerain had a bunch of political systems.
Long Live the Queen is basically Suzerain, except with an anime princess instead of a balding politician.

I would also recommend Yes, Your Grace and I Was A Teenage Exocolonist in that vein.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 27, 2023

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

I'm interested in Long Live the Queen I've heard really good things but the anime girl promotion shots always kind of turned me away but it looks really interesting. I know not everything with an anime girl on the cover is weird poo poo but you never know lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJcu3ClZEjY

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

khy posted:

Here's a tricky one.

I enjoy survival crafting games. I love being stranded with no resources and having to craft my way to victory. Subnautica, 7 Days to Die, etc.

But.

I want to build for other people besides just myself! I got this a bit with 7DTD where I crafted for a whole bunch of people but then I got bored because we all played different times and basically when I was around usually only a couple others were also around and it wasn't very satisfying.

So I was thinking - what about a game where you build for NPCs? I have plenty of fun 'base building' games and they're great (And postapoc base builders like Surviving the Aftermath and Endzone and the like feel close to survival crafting but really aren't), but are there any survival crafting games where you can build a base that other NPCs move into?

The only one that comes to mind is Fallout 4, and that is one of my favorite games, but I've played a LOT of it. I know Terraria lets you build a base that people can move into, but that's also not really survival crafting? I mean kind of but not really?

Is there anything else out there or coming soonish that might fit that bill?
My Time at Sandrock.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Walked posted:

I've also enjoyed (but lesser as the metaprogress only keeps me interested so long) Vampire Survivors, Slay the Spire, and Brotato.

What I'm finding I'm liking is:
- Not super twitchy-gameplay, I'm slow and old I guess
- Stats and/or abilities that matter and divergent strategies to explore
- Depth of gameplay that becomes more apparent over time while maybe seeming simple at the surface some have said D4 is shallow, but I've never played anything from the series so it was a new gameplay experience to me
- Ability to play in somewhat truncated sessions (family life entails I sometimes gotta shut it down with little to no notice)
The perennial goon favorite Buriedbornes.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I am looking for a game about using deception and persuasion to get into places I'm not supposed to be in and/or acquire things I'm not supposed to have. Bonus points if I get to use disposable identities for it.

Ideally, something more dialogue-heavy than Hitman, less combat oriented than Alpha Protocol, Shadowrun, Fallout and Arcanum, and not as horny as Ladykiller in a Bind. Also single-player, so not Spy Party or EVE Online.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Update: Betrayal at Club Low ended up satisfying that particular urge.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Aye Doc posted:

I want to play some more recent games like The Life & Suffering of Sir Brante - narrative driven, doesn't necessarily have to be interactive fiction/a visual novel but I darn sure wanna be reading my butt off, some sort of stat/skill/number-go-up mechanism that lets me unlock different game or story options, multiple routes to take, that kinda thing. here's some other stuff I have played recently in my efforts to find other similar feeling games, none of this in any particular order:
Tin Star
Sabres of Infinity/Guns of Infinity/Lords of Infinity
Fallen London
Long Live the Queen

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

tuyop posted:

Are there any games about picking flowers or mushrooms or that kind of thing? I think my favourite part of RDR2 was wandering around after the game to pick flowers and hunt and turn the bits into clothes. I would love a game that was just those bits.
Strange Horticulture.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

I really like the structure of snowrunners - open world, lots of missions, you can pick up missions on your way to other objectives, you're in general working to improve the world -

but I don't like the "drive in mud/snow. get stuck. get unstuck." which is effectively the entirety of gameplay.

Are there games out there with all the packaging but a different core loop?

e: not euro truck sim 2 please, I've played that and each delivery takes too much time. I actually like the bite-sized routes in snowrunners where you can deliver something in under an hour (mud aside).
Sunless Skies.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

An Actual Princess posted:

what are some good games where i can make builds and put points into skills. i just love filling out skill trees but NOT if i'm intended to fill out the whole thing eventually, i should have to make decisions/builds
Long Live the Queen, or pretty much anything by Choice of Games.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

An Actual Princess posted:

long live the queen is really cool and would almost fit but it's way too restrictive in terms of the game just ending if you don't do specific things at the right time. i do like it though.
I do not make this suggestion lightly, but there is a chance you may enjoy Academagia.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

There's also Farm RPG.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Are there any good, modern Space Trucker games?

And I'm not talking about games where "you can do all sorts of things, so you could play it as a space trucker." I want a game that is just about space truckin.
Sunless Skies.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

My recommendation for "Skyrim but better" would be Elder Scrolls Online.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

If I liked the bits of Fallout 4 where you hoover up all sorts of junk and turn it into raw material to build settlements with, is there a game, I imagine in the "survival" genre, that would be similar?
For an extremely literal interpretation of the prompt, No Place Like Home.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

fez_machine posted:

Hadean Lands starts with you making cleaning solutions and ends with you making incredibly powerful alchemic potions. It's also one of the best Metroidbranias. Really captures the experience of going from janitor to master alchemist.

Many, many Choice of Games CYOAs follow this structure but check out
-Choice of Magics
-Choice of Rebels

In a similar vein, The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante
See also:

-I Was A Teenage Exocolonist
-Long Live The Queen
-Fallen London

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

XCOM-likes (turn-based tactics) without hit chance RNG. Any suggestions for games like that?

I already played a bunch of W40k Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters and W40k Mechanicus.
Marvel Midnight Suns has no to-hit RNG and was designed by Jack Solomon of the XCOM fame.

Pierzak posted:

Looking for some RPGs of these 2 types:

1. Something with actually different races: none of the usual "elf = skinny human with pointy ears, +int/magic, -toughness, no other differences" poo poo. I'm talking totally different inventory slots because you're an octopus and not a human, races that have entire mechanics fundamentally changed just because of their race, etc. The wilder the differences, the better. Setting pretty much irrelevant, as long as said races are playable characters.

2. Something with highly developed "skill development through grinding" mechanics, i.e. skills as fundamental game mechanics, improved through use, reaching some skill tier unlocks another/upgraded skill you can train, possibly unlock new skills like achievements through doing specific things. If anyone's into light novels poo poo, early/dungeon parts of Spider is pretty much what I want.

These are 2 separate requests. If they can be combined, even better, but it's by no means mandatory.

Both are for single-player only (might accept playing an MMORPG solo as a last resort, as long as I don't have to interact with organic humans in any way).
I'm also perfectly OK with old roguelike crap like barebones ASCII graphics or convoluted janky interface.
If you are willing to fork over 40 dollars for a janky indie MMORPG made by a solo dev, Project Gorgon fulfills every part of your request and then some.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 15, 2023

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I'm looking for a noncombat city/base builder with a dark, gothic, or occult aesthetic. Something that lets me build a necromantic fortress, an eldritch temple-city, or a vampire castle, but without having to constantly fight, whether personally (V Rising) or with my units (Warcraft 3 undead campaigns).

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Any good open world exploration games people can recommend? Particularly ones with a well constructed world to explore and experience; I'm coming off a Freelancer kick, still a delight to go back and play. More than the arcade-y space shooting I find the compelling part to be the world that feels like a functioning setting on its own, rather than window dressing around the player. Even just reading the historical entries included with each station is great.

Bonus points I guess if it's a medieval or ancient sort of vibe
Darklands.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

can i get a recommendation for a game about trading?

like, you go into a port of call, buy goods, travel to another port, sell those goods for a profit, buy more goods, repeat

it can be either a space setting (as in Elite) or a historical setting (as in Merchant Prince)

what I'm looking for is that it has to be relatively contemporary in terms of UI/UX
Sunless Skies.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

No game is too obvious. I haven't really touched this genre since Mercenaries besides GTA. And decades-old games are fine with me. What's good?
Vangers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I'm looking for a party-based CRPG where my companions already have their poo poo together from get-go and don't need me to be their therapist.