Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

SpacePope posted:

You need Starsector in your life: https://fractalsoftworks.com/

Best 15$ you'll ever spend.

Starsector is good. Endless Sky is good for being a free game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

Grim Dawn

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

InsertPotPun posted:

is there a good brawler type game that isn't "press a bunch" or "keep the combo going" types? like a free roaming fighting game.

Sleeping Dogs

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

Why not come back and play WoW? The Goon guilds are welcoming and good people. On Retail we just ran a very successful heroic raid last night. There is also WoW classic now which is on vanilla. I haven’t messed with that though.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

Mechafunkzilla posted:

probably because MMOs are brain poison op

:ohdear:

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

Kingdoms is a fun game. The flow does feel like leveling in an MMO. I think it was originally planned for it to either be the prologue for an mmo or an mmo itself.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

Hey, I’m looking for a game. Something like underrail or caves of qud or maybe an isometric rpg. Something single player with deep systems that isn’t fps or really graphically intense. Also something that works well with a keyboard and mouse, no controller. Preferably not a roguelike/lite and something I can pause.

Games I have and like a bunch:
Kenshi
Factorio
Stellaris
All infinity engine games
Caves of Qud
Stardew Valley
Cold Waters

Games I don’t really like:
Divinity Original Sin

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

I meant to put in there Pillars and Tyranny in the games I have and played a lot.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

I'm looking for a good laptop game. Work is slowing down for the end of the year and I'll have a few slow days before winter break.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

Ceyton posted:

Could I interest you in some top-down space games, like Starsector and Starcom: Nexus?

Played both of those. Both are really good. Just finished Starcom: Nexus actually.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

I’m just finishing up Enderal and looking for something else to play. Preferably something like Enderal and which does not require an internet connection.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

Underrail

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

I need a good iOS rpg game. i’ve played chrono trigger, the quest and balder’s gate/ice wind dale, kotor anf kotor 2.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

Hwurmp posted:

Jade Empire is also on iOS if you want more Biowares

I tried it and the touch controls were super janky. Couldn’t really get into it.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

So, I ended up getting 9th Dawn III on IOS and it's a fun mobile game. Reminds me of Diablo with a deeper crafting system. I'm in the dungeon Sinfall right now. Thanks for all the recommendations.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

So, I'm looking for a game to play, I want it to have a focus on collecting cool artifacts and bringing them back to my player base. Think like a wizard who goes out searching for powerful magical artifacts or someone who has a private collection of something. Anything spring to mind that scratches that itch? Preferably open world. I'm thinking I might have to mod Skyrim and play it again.

I've played both Valheim and V Rising recently and am not looking to replay them.

EDIT: About to reread The Infinite and The Divine and I'm thinking that it would be cool to play a game in the vein of Trazyn and gathering items for his collection.

Saul Kain fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 29, 2022

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

Outer Wilds would be my recommendation.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

Gato The Elder posted:

I’m like 99% sure this game doesn’t exist, but I want a Souls-like game without the relentlessly depressing setting (and obviously I have played all of the Souls games to death). I want to play something with the same depth of combat and exploration, but instead of being filled with nasty little guys who hate me there’s a colorful world full of nice villagers who want to talk to me.

I think I just want Breath of the Wild with Souls combat (as opposed to Elden Ring, which is a Souls Game with Breath of the Wild’s open world sensibilities)

Is there anything out there that’s even a *little* bit close?

Outward maybe? I enjoyed that game and enjoy most From games.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

Bognar posted:

I played the poo poo out of it for 3 weeks or so until we beat it, then never touched it after that. Good fun, would recommend for a small group of friends. We'll probably end up revisiting it in a year or so.

This was my experience as well. Played on the Goon private server and beat it. We got all the special columns. Had a few 100% Scholars. Then ran out of game. Going ham in the middle of a village is cool and eventually you learn how to turn into a bat.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

StoryTime posted:

There's Hardspace: Shipbreaker which has you work as a salvage person dismantling valuable parts out of massive spaceships.

Game good. Turning off the timer and meticulously cutting up a giant ship until you only have little bits left is extremely chill to me.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

What are the best games where you pilot your own spaceship and run missions / blow poo poo up? Ideally I'm looking for single player and something that also has a faction/territory system for an end game goal.

Starsector

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

Galick posted:

Outward Outward Outward Outward Outward Outward Outward Outward Outward Outward Outward!!!

Outward is good but is quite jank. Quebecjank

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

hats4cats posted:

I've been playing Valheim and really enjoyed sailing exploration. Anything similar, maybe with a cargo delivery/trading aspect?

Chill, can have goals but I'm not looking to fight any deadlines.
Controller friendly.
Easy or no combat. Having automated npc's would be ok.

Check out Sailwind. An indy game in early access but leans heavily into the sailing mechanics. It was kinda unpolished when I checked it out a few years back.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

Elden Ring

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

Jack B Nimble posted:

And you've played Prey, right? Right??

The TransStar facility reminds me of a cruise ship actually. Play Prey.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

thekeeshman posted:

I'm looking for something to scratch the "open-world RPG/immersive sim with a decent story" itch. Things I have played and enjoyed:

-The Witcher games and Cyberpunk 2077
-Mass Effect 1 & 2 (3 and Andromeda looked bad)
-The Dishonored games
-The recent Deus Ex games
-Neverwinter nights 1
-Dragon Age Origins (2 looked bad, Inquisition is a possibility?)
-rear end Creed 2
-Fallout New Vegas (I've tried 4 and got bored halfway through, and I've played The Outer Worlds, which was okay)
-Alpha Protocol
-Disco Elysium

I'm currently playing Pillars of Eternity, and while it ticks a lot of boxes I'm finding the combat straight up tedious, even on easy difficulty, I just can't be bothered to deal with all the different classes and managing all their abilities, I think the large party based RPGs aren't my thing. I know I could drop the difficulty to story mode but that would seem to be missing the point. Seems like this would rule out PoE 2 and the Divinity games. (Played Arcanum back in the day)

I've tried several ARPGs but couldn't really get into them. Torchlight 1&2 made for good podcast-listening games with passive builds, but Diablo 3 and Grim Dawn didn't click.

Current possibilities:

-One of the newer rear end Creed games? Heard good things about Black Flag and Odyssey
-Dragon Age Inquisition?
-Kingdom Come Deliverance? (Got this for free on Epic so no investment needed to check it out)

I'm not attached to any particular format, genre, or setting, hopefully this gives people some idea of the vibe I'm looking for.

You want to play Prey.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

Yeah was gonna say Stardew Valley. Everyone should play it imo.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

Xeras posted:

I’m looking for a game to play while listening to audiobooks. I’m not much of a truck/racer type so euro truck is doubtful.

Delta V: Rings of Saturn is a great audiobook game for me. Pretty chill game about mining in the Saturn's rings. It's a top down 2d game with realistic physics. Break ice chunks and hoover up the good metals inside.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

Elex was good if you can get through the first little bit. Getting to the clerics and joining that faction was cool.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

StrixNebulosa posted:

Are there any good games on steam for working on improving/exercising your memory?

Papers Please

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

Aww I played a lot of Starbound years ago, what happened?

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Recommend me a good turn based game. Strat or small squad, whatever, I've been jamming Deep Sky Derelicts and the like, and obviously the big names like the XCOMs and so on.

I could never really get into Divinity Original Sin 2 despite having like 40 hours in Fort Joy and the second continent. I always get bored and forget what I was trying to acomplish. An alternative recommendation would be Underrail. I love that game.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/250520/UnderRail/

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

grate deceiver posted:

One of these days I gotta reinstall Warframe and watch all the new insane cutscenes.

I continually go back and rewatch this video. I don’t even play warframe. https://youtu.be/mPTCq3LiZSE

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

chainchompz posted:

There's a few games I'm looking forward to coming out right about now, (and tears of the kingdom is sold out by me or that'd be it for now,) but what sci fi explorer games are out there? I'm looking for something where you've got a ship and that's sort of your base of operations and you're either alone or have a crew and the universe just sort of generates around you as you go. Ship/crew customisation and leveling is a must. Mile wide and puddle deep is ok.

I've played the living hell out of:
FTL
Holy Potatoes, we're in space
X4
Elite dangerous
Objects in space
Starbound
Empyrion: Galactic Survival
No man's sky
Halcyon 6

I also tried that bugfest known as star citizen on a free weekend and yikes that one needs either even more time in the oven or a higher heat to cook it.

Starsector or Star Traders Frontiers are my recs.

Efb

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

malnourish posted:

Any games with intriguing sequence breaking, discovery or secrets, or where you get the vaguely eerie "you're not supposed to be here" vibe?

I'm thinking games like Outer Wilds, Portal, or even Stanley Parable.

Dredge

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

Check out Endless Sky, it is a freeware game on steam that is reminiscent of old school escape velocity. The whole story is text and you’re not missing anything with the sound off.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

Eric the Mauve posted:

We're going a long way back here and maybe into a genre not of interest to you, but believe it or not, EarthBound was designed to be completely playable with your left hand only.

Really? I played it on SNES. Is the idea that you could use the dpad and then switch to buttons as necessary?

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

Stalker: Anomaly has the benefit of being a free fan mod that is quite expansive.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

I would also suggest Enderal as a more maturely written Skyrim. It has neat magic systems and a huge open world to explore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

Elden Ring really is fantastic. Give it a shot again, you’ll start to learn quickly as you bang your head against a boss. Don’t give up, skeleton!