Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Filox posted:

Steam Winter Sale, still undecided. If you could force me to buy one of these games, which one would it be: Yakuza 0, Kingdom Come Deliverance or Mass Effect Legendary Edition.

(I've never played any Mass Effect or Yakuza.)

Yakuza 0. For the sick dance moves:

The intense stealth sections:

Dialogues that put Disco Elysium to shame:

Some of the best companion NPCs in RPG history:

And a lot more. It's not even a contest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Chamale posted:

In Subnautica, I love piloting a submarine and also leaving the pilot's seat to walk around the ship and even put out fires. Are there any other games with more of that? I played Space Engineers years ago, but it wasn't quite what I was looking for.

Possibly Objects in Space? Space trading where you don't "fly" the ship as much as pilot it like a submarine and play with underwater-like stealth. And you get handsy with the various ship stations when things go wrong.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

err posted:

Weird request but are there games that show a timelapse of your actions, like a replay back to you?

I was playing Desperados 3 and at the end of the level there is a map overview showing your movements around the map and which actions you took. Are there any other features similar to that in other games? Obvious answer is any sports or racing game with a replay feature.

Fights In Tight Spaces does that, which is pretty neat, although the turn-based nature means that the action still looks choppy compared to the mental picture you make of it as it happens.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Sankara posted:

Recently got my rear end kicked pretty bad, need something to help pass the time as I heal. Something that doesn't require reflexes, I can play with one hand, and ideally a chill atmosphere. (I know about Vampire Survivors)

Stardew Valley maybe? It's super chill, and the controller could easily be played one-handed with a bit of adjustment (or remapping).

Not quite chill, but if Vampire Survivors amused you for a while, then Brotato costs a fiver, is also only played with the stick, and I've enjoyed it a lot. There are no actual meta-upgrades, just some characters/items that unlock, giving it more staying power imho.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Shine posted:

Nice! I always found HOMM2 more charming than HOMM3, with its cartoony graphics.

There are dozens of us! Dozens!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
If you liked the main Neverwinter Nights campaign (including SoU and HotU), you may want to look at the mod scenes. There are entire campaigns available there which surpass the official stuff in both scope and quality. There are too many to go for a full list, but for some big ones, you could look at Aielund Saga and Enigma Island. Both are big multipart campaigns (Enigma is smaller, but still a bit 3-parter) which will have you explore and become familiar with a good few places which you get to revisit in later chapters which is a neat way to make the world feel familiar.

Connected to the rest of your list, the original Deus Ex should still hold up, though it's getting old graphically, and you need to go in accepting that starting skill levels are atrocious (don't expect to be a sniper from the start). I also loved AssCreed Odyssey, which kind of surprised me as I really don't rate the third-person-fight-loot-craft soup that seem to get reskinned by Ubi and Sony all the time, but Odyssey's theme was solid enough to really carry it and I ended up no-lifing it all end to end including the DLCs. I was kind of glad it ended, but I enjoyed the ride, with just a couple notable exceptions (the lovely AssCreed modern world segments and the whole baby chapter).

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Oh yeah, great call on Sleeping Dogs. Fantastic game. :worship:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've got that itch again. The itch for Lovecraftian horror.

I've been playing Consuming Shadows, Shrouded Isle, Darkest Dungeon, Last Door, Dusk, World of Horror. Sunless Seas, Cultist Simulator. The popular stuff, basically.

What are the best Lovecraftian horror games out there for PC? (So no Bloodborne.) I'm looking specifically for the suspicious town, paranoia, something is Wrong vibe, but I'll take anything. Thank you!

If you're into point and click adventure games, Shadow of the Comet and Prisoner of Ice are straight Mythos and imho worth going back to. Just keep a walkthrough at hand though as I seem to remember a couple cases of pixel hunt in Prisoner of Ice.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Shine posted:

Shovel Knight is the best Castlevania and the best Duck Tales. The Specter Knight campaign is especially loving dope and I will never take down the giant tapestry of him that's hanging in my bedroom.

King Knight is where it's at. :colbert:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

death cob for cutie posted:

b. lately I really want to play a boomer shooter with roguelike systems. I started playing Strafe again after playing a ton of it a few years ago, but I think I've gotten my fill of it - its roguelike side is pretty shallow though. I've also played BPM, which is super fun, but the rhythm game on top of it isn't what I always want (and the weapon selection is a little limited).

Immortal Redneck, maybe?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Hardspace Shipbreaker and Ship Graveyard Simulator are all about salvaging as a career.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Grey Face posted:

Looking for a game with a focus on environmental storytelling and connecting pieces together to figure out a story. Some examples of what I'm looking for are Hypnospace Outlaw, Elden Ring with the item descriptions, Inscryption, and Tunic.

If you haven't played ye olde Myst, you might want to give it a spin. Modern remakes of it have you move in a full 3d environment instead of the pre-rendered slideshow, so it's a lot more approcheable, but it's all about puzzles and environmental storytelling. There is very little that the game actually tells you, and you could just play by solving puzzles to progress, but the worlds and puzzles tell the story by themselves should you care for it.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Seconding DOS2 and Battle Brothers, and I'll add Brutal Orchestra to the list with a really clever combat system and absolutely oozing atmosphere in a weird creepy kind of way.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I love STS. It's amazing. I've been wanting a second game. I've tried monster train, and it's OK, but I want one where the mechanics are a bit less complicated. There's too many tribes and combos and whatnot. I'm old now, dammit! StS has a great balance of that where the mechanics are simple but the strategy is deep. Where can I get more of that?

I'll chime again for Brutal Orchestra. If you dig the art style, which is pretty special, then it's a match made in heaven. The turn-based combat is pretty simple, with characters on 5 lanes facing up to 5 monsters, and each character can do 1 attack and 1 move each turn. Also, you have (almost) perfect information about what the monsters will do and in what order in their turn. Very simple mechanics, but the strategy runs surprisingly deep as you try to puzzle out an action sequence that miniises the risk/damage on the monsters turn and/or places you up for a big strike in the next round. Every single fight is a puzzle, and the atmosphere is incredible between this weird looking hell, the awesome music and the weird cast and story. I can't recommend it enough for people looking for stuff like StS, the presentation is different and you have the same (upgradeable) abilities every turn instead of cards from a deck, but it shares a lot of the DNA.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

thekeeshman posted:

Out of Ore
Dungeon Keeper (I really with someone would make a new one, game owned)

War for the Overworld doesn't have the official branding, but it's pretty much a modernised DK2.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Maybe the Guacamelee games if you haven't played them already?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

chainchompz posted:

what sci fi explorer games are out there? I'm looking for something where you've got a ship and :words:

To add to the list of titles already posted above, I'll suggest the mouthful of a title that is 3030 Deathwar Redux - A Space Odyssey. Top down 2d space exploration/combat, multiple sectors, customisation, free trade, story, but the twist in this one is that when you dock and step out of your ship, it turns into point-and-click adventure mode.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

SkeletonHero posted:

I found it. Brutal Orchestra

Never heard of it but it sounds rad.

Hell and pigments does absolutely sound like Brutal Orchestra, and it's a fantastic game. However, note that it's like 99% combat. There's no big rpg story or anything. There is a weird narrative and some weird events (some leading to new characters), but at the end of the day, everything is in the service of the 1-5 characters vs 1-5 monsters on a 5-lane grid. Thankfully, that turn-based combat is excellent, with almost-perfect information about what monsters will do on their turn and a really neat twist with pigments adding a layer of resource management. Basically, you need pigments to use skills. You can fill in with pigments of the wrong colour, but at the cost of self-damage. And hitting a monster will give you pigments of that monsters colours. And finally, if you exceed the max safe pigment capacity, then you take pigment overflow damage at the end of turn. It takes a few runs to get your head around it at first, but then it's part of the decision making, expanding your options, as first hitting a monster of the right colour might be just what you need to power up the skill you need for another.

Great game at any rate, provided that one enjoys the art style. Also, screenshots don't carry how good the soundtrack is, with occasional hilarious alterations as some musical instrument looking monsters spawn or die and said instrument gets added/removed from the soundtrack.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Osmosisch posted:

If you don't mind the Gwent system, there's Thronebreaker.

First one that came to mind here. Very much a card game, but a lot of coating with a full storyline, choices that impact story and cards, and almost every match having its own twist. Very good game.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Hwurmp posted:

One Finger Death Punch
:hmmyes:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Shine posted:

The Truck Simulator series, such as Euro Truck Simulator 2. They control perfectly well with a gamepad, they're chill as hell, ETS2 is old enough to run on a potato, and you can optionally use a simplified/compressed manual gearbox if you don't want to use all 18 or whatever gears.

ETS2 got me used to handling a trailer, which came in IRL handy when I accidentally hit a dead end in a KOA and had to swing a little U-Haul trailer between some motorhomes to turn around. My former spouse had such a confused look when they asked how I learned to do that, and I replied that I had dozens of hours in a trucking video game.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > Recommend me a game, again: they asked how I learned to do that, and I replied that I had dozens of hours in a trucking video game

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
It's not taxing so might not be what you're after, but The Witness is gorgeous (and a great puzzle game).

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Jack Trades posted:

I don't think there's anything like what I'm looking for but I might as well ask.

There's a game called Space Engineers and my favorite part of it was that one stock scenario where you're stuck on a big ship that just crashed into an asteroid, and you're forced to figure out how to covert half of a broken ship into something functional. Very reminiscent of playing Engineer in Space Station 13 but with an added bonus of not having to deal with other people.

I don't quite like the rest of that game, because it's more of a loose assortment of toys instead of a real game, but I really enjoyed the "figure out how this complex system supposed to work, then fix it/re-design it to work with whatever you have available" gameplay bit.

Is there anything similar to that? I know there are things like Car Mechanic Simulator, but I don't like those because you're not interacting with an actual system and also there's nothing actually there to figure out.
I'd be really down for something like...try keeping a space ship functional while it's systems are slowly breaking down kind of game but I don't think that exists.

Haven't played it so no idea if it's actually that or if it's any good, but that sounds like the premise of Tin Can.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Aye Doc posted:

I want to play some more recent games like The Life & Suffering of Sir Brante - narrative driven, doesn't necessarily have to be interactive fiction/a visual novel but I darn sure wanna be reading my butt off, some sort of stat/skill/number-go-up mechanism that lets me unlock different game or story options, multiple routes to take, that kinda thing. here's some other stuff I have played recently [...]

You may want to take a look at The Age of Decadence. Some weird roman republic like universe with added fantasy elements, neatly cut into chapters each one with its own stories and endings, and where character class/skills dictate a lot of things. Like, if you make a smooth diplomat, you'll pretty much never ever win a fight, and the game will mostly feel like playing a choose-your-own-adventure book. If you want to be able to fight, there's a neat combat system, but you kinda have to go all in in 1) understanding how it works and 2) spend a lot of points in the combat skills you want to use. For non-combat skills, challenges have a difficulty. If your related skill matches/exceeds the difficulty, you pass, if not, you fail. So each point you invest directly opens up story options. The starting class is also your backstory, giving you information, objectives and base relationships with multiple factions. All this means that it's utterly impossible to see/understand everything in a single playthrough, and there are plenty of stories interlinked, as well as many endings. Depending on your choices, some entire map areas may be completely inaccessible, with their quests and alternative solutions to some of the problems you'll be facing.

It's a janky little rpg, but it absolutely oozes atmosphere and the setting is pretty unique.

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 26, 2023

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
If you like tactical battles and squad management, Battle Brothers is real-time with pause on the world map, and otherwise fully turn based. It shouldn't be too taxing harware-wise either.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Pierzak posted:

I have a craving for some Deus Ex-like games (as in, FPP with RPG-like elements and multiple solutions to problems, but very much "you know it when you see it" type). Games of that type that are either already on the list or I've already beaten are:

Deus Ex 1, 2, Human Revolution, Mankind Divided
Ultima Underworld 1, 2
Arx Fatalis
System Shock 1, 2
Bioshock 1, 2, Infinite
Dishonored 1, 2
Prey (2017)

Feel free to restate any obvious titles I might have missed.
PC only (but doesn't need to be new or pretty)

Thief 1 and 2? 2 is by far the better game, but the story follows up and the world evolves so it's worth playing both in order if you don't mind the less polished experience and levels.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Pierzak posted:

Thief 1,2 - I got filtered by the pacifist requirement and the zombie level, but I did ghost Dishonored so I might revisit it. Out of curiosity, is there something wrong about the conspicuously missing 3?

Thief 3 was designed for consoles, so there are plenty of compromises coming from 1/2 (smaller areas, loading screens, no rope arrow...) which will be more or less annoying depending on your personal preferences. It was considered the black sheep of the series until Thi4f came out, and is now retroactively considered a good game in hindsight. It also has a notoriously creepy stage. If you love 1/2 and want more, it's worth giving it a shot. Fan mods for Thief 2 are another alternative.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Immersive Sim is how you say Deus-Ex-like without getting mobbed by System Shock fans.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

i3lueHorneT posted:

Titles to just vibe to? Looking to listen to podcasts & audiobooks to some games with a chill gameplay loop. Used to do this with a motocross game a minute back.

Abzu.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Zeerust posted:

my favorite 4X titles tend to be more streamlined with asymmetric factions, and I've had a lot of fun with Endless Legend

Endless Space 2 looks like a no-brainer. Amplitude games are all about the streamlining and asymmetry. And coming from EL, you'll be amused to find the Vaulters as a faction in this one too.

If you get the complete pack, note that you may want to deactivate Awakening, which adds a major nuisance in the Academy Empire, and possibly Penumbra depending on how you feel about the hacking mechanics (at any rate, you may want to start without it and activate it for later games once you're happy with the base mechanics). Like other Amplitude games, DLCs can easily be activated/deactivated in-game from the main menu.

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Sep 23, 2023

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
To state the obvious in case you haven't played it, Planescape: Torment? It's all about the characters and the companions are pretty wild.

Maybe Tyranny, though your distaste of "fantasy politics" might make it a non-starter.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
For what it's worth, I thought Tyranny was solid and concluded pretty much everything that mattered. Yes, it leaves a (major) door open to the player's imagination or a not-going-to-happen-because-game-didn't-sell-enough sequel, but I thought that was fine. The combat was a bit tedious, with too many micro-cooldowns to spam, but setting, story and characters were drat good.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
VVVVVV is really good. It makes fantastic use of its minimalistic controls.

Another series unmentioned so far is Guacamelee, though I haven't played 2 yet. It's pretty linear as far as the genre goes, and combat heavy. Combat move double up as mobility for platforming sections, and it's cliché Mexico/Wrestling themed, which is rather unusual as far as gaming goes. Loved the first game, really need to play the sequel at some point.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Olewithmilk posted:

Hi all, posted the below in the Steam thread because I am stupid but was pointed here:

I am a sick man, and by 'relax' I do mean sometimes get really hella mad at a difficult RPG or read pages of incredibly dense lore contained within a game that looks like my uncle coded it in the 70s. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Ah, I recommented Nox Archaist there, but now that you detail the request, Serpent in the Staglands is right this way. I strongly strongly recommend that you:
1. Read the Manual
2. Read Erlein's Handbook (found on the author's website: https://whalenoughtstudios.com/serpent-in-the-staglands-store/) which is kind of an in-world lorebook with some critical lore exposition and tips such as some of the magic words you may want to use often.

It sits at a glorious and well deserved Mixed review rating, because it's unabashedly old-school to the point of being pretty obtuse at times, yet has its own interesting world flavour and alternative skills. It's exceptionally brutal at low level too, as each mob can kill you, and mobs spawn in group. This wouldn't be an issue in itself, but add that you can't efficiently savescum through it because if at least one mob from a group was still alive when you saved, all mobs from the group will respawn on load :troll:. And at the time you saved, you were probably no longer in kite distance but slightly closer, and therefore previously dead mobs spawn on you with no option to pull them one by one. Oh, did I mention there's no rez? If a companion dies, they're dead. That's it. So you kinda want/need to savescum, but carefully and never mid-group-fight.

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 6, 2023

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's time for an evergreen question: what are the best games to play while listening to podcasts?

Here's what I have already:

Luck be a Landlord might be a worthy addition to your list. It's a, uh, slot-machine deckbuilder. Spin, choose a symbol to add, spin again, etc. And every few spins, use the money to pay your rent or get evicted. :shepspends:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Pierson posted:

Nearly finished my Cyberpunk playthrough and one of the things I like the most was you can just boot it up for 30mins to an hour and wander around Night City doing very little except whatever random quest or gig or randomly-generated event happened around you. Are there any other games like this where it's fun to just exist in the world and fool around without pursuing the main story? I've heard Red Dead Redemption 2 is kind of like this, anything else? No survival or co-op games please.

Not as dynamic with random events, but possibly Sleeping Dogs. You even have the choice of a good few Hong Kong radio stations when driving. It can be a surprisingly chill experience in-between the ultra-violence of the main story. You can even get pork buns.

It regularly goes on sale as the definitive edition with all DLCs for a fiver too.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Halt! posted:

Not really sure exactly what I'm looking for but basically I'm looking for a good Airplane Game, so something that plays well on the Steam Deck (whether on Steam itself or any sort of emulator) or a Switch or something would be ideal. I've been going through the 2D Pokemon games and romhacks, but I think I want something that kind of has that top-down overworld/turn-based combat feel but without any sort of party management. Probably some sort of RPG, happy to explore any sort of genre though.

I haven't really explored this space much at all so feel free to recommend even no-brainers, I probably haven't heard of them.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/666610/Endless_ATC/

+ more of an Airplane game than any JRPG
+ still a RPG (though only one class: Air Traffic Controller)
+ top-down overworld with mod support (mod your own local airport in!)
+ no party management
+ in fact no party at all

- real-time combat with multiple foes (need to win each individual f(l)ight before the fuel/crash timer expires)
- you need to add an option to the launch command for NPC voice synthesis to work on Steam Deck

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Nov 27, 2023

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Myst certainly has that vibe.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
The Hexcells series is excellent in the minesweeper-adjacent genre. It starts with pure minesweeper gameplay (well except it's hexes instead of squares), and then adds a few extra hints/mechanics.

There are three games in the series: Hexcells, Hexcells Plus and Hexcells Infinite. The first two only have a set of fixed levels, the third has its own set of fixed levels too but also comes with a random level generator. The fixed handcrafted levels are very good though, and arguably the main point. They can all be cracked without any guessing involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Eric the Mauve posted:

Thread, throw me some games that are:

* Open world mayhem
* PC
* Not Rockstar
* Not EA or Ubisoft (i.e. doesn't require me to install a platform other than Steam/GOG to play)

For reference, I absolutely loved the Mercenaries games from almost 20 years ago. Just give me a game where I can cruise around, blow some poo poo up, run missions or ignore them if I feel like ignoring them, harming bystanders is discouraged but the game isn't going to stop you from doing so. Besides GTA, obviously.

No game is too obvious. I haven't really touched this genre since Mercenaries besides GTA. And decades-old games are fine with me. What's good?

Wait for a couple hours, buy Sleeping Dogs (Definitive Edition) in the winter sale for ~$5, and use the money you saved to buy yourself a pork bun.