Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Looking for a game, for PS5 or PC (high end build).

I'm seeking something I can sink a lot of time into, ideally in 30-60min chunks. Preferably with some degree of crossover between single-player and multi-player (my schedule with kids can make it hard to find time with friends, but I do have a solid group of gaming friends).

Not big on twitchy games, but I am open. Above all else I want something that rewards time investment and has a good amount of depth; but often my sessions are capped between 30-60min (though not always)

Any suggestions? Very open to various genres

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Saul Kain posted:

Elden Ring

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Deep Rock Galactic

Shine posted:

Any of the Monster Hunter titles! 30 minutes is enough time for most of the hunts, and none are over 60 (there's a time limit to the missions).

The most recent MH titles are World and Rise. I think World is the better game overall and a better series introduction (and it looks GORGEOUS on a high-end PC with the free high-res texture pack), but Rise has a much faster pace, as they streamlined several aspects of the game (ex: monsters are on your minimap from the start) and reduced the "filler" between missions. Also you can ride a doggy around, which is much faster than running around in World. World eventually lets you ride mounts, but IIRC it's a fairly late-game perk.

World is my favorite game of the 2010s and I loving love it. Rise is also great, but I prefer the slower pace of World. For you though, it sounds like Rise would better fit your schedule.

Thanks all; ironically all of these were on my radar (and I own DRG, but havent played it)

Appreciate it, going to read some deeper reviews and pick one for committed play

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Ok. Been mostly out of gaming a long time.

Last game I beat was Soma before returning to gaming, but also enjoyed a bunch of RPG-style games of the time (mostly JRPGs which I dont seem to have the patience for these days) and the Resident Evil series.

I've tried (and built a new PC for) Dead Space, which was fine but didnt capture me deeply and I never finished it. Same thing when I tried the RE2 Remake - captivated me for about 3-4hrs and then kinda lost interest.

I happened upon Diablo 4, which I immensely enjoyed through campaign - and some of the post-game content (up to mid 70s, WT4). That said, the seasonal model isnt really my thing I'm happy to say I've gotten my money's worth. I'll probably return at some point, but I got my time.

I've also enjoyed (but lesser as the metaprogress only keeps me interested so long) Vampire Survivors, Slay the Spire, and Brotato.

What I'm finding I'm liking is:
- Not super twitchy-gameplay, I'm slow and old I guess
- Stats and/or abilities that matter and divergent strategies to explore
- Depth of gameplay that becomes more apparent over time while maybe seeming simple at the surface some have said D4 is shallow, but I've never played anything from the series so it was a new gameplay experience to me
- Ability to play in somewhat truncated sessions (family life entails I sometimes gotta shut it down with little to no notice)

Multiplayer on D4 hit a sweet spot too, as it's very drop-in, drop-out friendly. But is not a strict requirement.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

You're describing Siralim Ultimate. It's essentially a monster collecting turn-based dungeon crawler with some absolutely insane team builds you can put together, from a simple standard party to an absurd gimmick group entirely based around, I dunno, poisoning. Fights individually aren't long and you can stop and save whenever.

Coming back to this. This seems is looking at it, 10hrs played already exactly loving on the nose. Thank you.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Pierzak posted:

I have a craving for some Deus Ex-like games (as in, FPP with RPG-like elements and multiple solutions to problems, but very much "you know it when you see it" type). Games of that type that are either already on the list or I've already beaten are:

Deus Ex 1, 2, Human Revolution, Mankind Divided
Ultima Underworld 1, 2
Arx Fatalis
System Shock 1, 2
Bioshock 1, 2, Infinite
Dishonored 1, 2
Prey (2017)

Feel free to restate any obvious titles I might have missed.
PC only (but doesn't need to be new or pretty)

STALKER
ARK: Survivor Evolved

Spring to mind; haven’t played them but have both wishlisted

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

So I've been on my "return to gaming and actually enjoying it" tear lately

Kicked off with Diablo 4 which was a very fun time, but not into seasonal stuff.
Remnant 2 has been GREAT; and I'm more or less hanging in there with the difficulty (the first 10 hours was a shitshow though).
Baldurs Gate 3 is awesome, but not entirely my jam - playing a campaign with a group and that's probably good enough for me there.

This has me wanting something next. I'm finding I'm enjoying:
- Some degree of RPG elements, though I'm seemingly flexible on to what extent
- Interesting gameplay, unique builds, some depth to gameplay (be it in terms of combat mechanics and/or RPG elements.
- Prefer a single player focus (have enough coop I'm running currently)

I'm intrigued by exploring more in this area. True, proper hard soulslikes probably are outside my grasp but I could be wrong about this.

Basically, I'm looking for something else with a similar feel to Remnant 2, but maybe a little easier single-player. Ideally something with the ability to freely save and/or with tight mission loops (and not a huge open world where you can die at any moment and lose your progress)

Any suggestions? Might be a niche request here

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

fez_machine posted:

You'll probably love Crystal Project (it's check pointed but very generously).

Have you played any Fromsoft Souls games? They're much more forgiving than people say they are, especially as time goes on. Elden Ring or Dark Souls 3 are good first ones. The truth about all souls games is that you don't actually lose much on death, souls are basically worthless and easily built up again. You do lose time on the run back but the check pointing has got better and better with time and the secret to most souls games is that actually you can run past everything you don't want to fight.

I tried Elden Ring at release and just got bodied; though I imagine it wouldn’t be as bad right now - I’ve started to find my gaming legs again, if slowly.

That said - time is actually one of my more finite resources which makes that type of death often game-session ending (often only have 30min - 2hrs, though often longer)

I’m super open to trying these again if there’s a good entry point - Elden Ring may be worth another shot.

Hades looks awesome too - will fire that up. Supporting Deck is a huge plus.

Crystal Project looks awesome too - wishlisted and will likely try this one soon!

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

nachos posted:

final fantasy 7 remake has very unique hybrid rpg/character action mechanics and is a mostly linear game but with a few semi-open areas and places to grind if you want.

Monster hunter rise also a simple mission structure, tons of depth, and each weapon is effectively learning an entirely new combat system.

Both awesome suggestions; thank you! FF7:R has been on my radar for a while and totally forgot about it!

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Party Boat posted:

I'm similarly time-limited (job, child, etc) and managed to complete Dark Souls 1-3 so far this year, with Sekiro and Elden Ring pending. They are very playable in short bursts, largely because of how quickly you can die. However, you have to be okay with the only progress you make in a gaming session be "I understand this boss's patterns a bit better".

This is good to know; if that's the case then maybe this is an ok thing to pursue. I just have to change my perspective a bit I suppose (I try to end a session on a checkpoint or logical death, but I can probably reframe this based on what youre saying). Thanks!

Is Elden Ring the ideal first entry into the genre (other than the aforementioned Remnant 2)?

MarcusSA posted:

30 min bursts? Vampire survivors lol

Ironically I've played the everloving poo poo out of this on Steamdeck. It's my "I dont feel like engaging in something longer/deeper game" but I've sunk enough hours into it that I'm ready to move on.

edit: Am definitely picking up Hades, will likely pick up 1-2 more recommendations.

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions

Walked fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Aug 15, 2023

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

An Actual Princess posted:

are there any games that give the vibe of "you are extremely not supposed to be here". style of gameplay unimportant, vibe is all i'm after. kind of like maybe when you clipped into mount hyjal in classic wow and saw all the unfinished poo poo. or just super hostile landscape. idk i just want to feel like i'm seeing something i shouldn't

Soma kinda puts down that vibe? Fantastic game

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

So I am super hit or miss with action/adventure RPGs

I recently picked up and enjoyed Granblue Fantasy Relink

I've also enjoyed recently several of the Souls titles, but I need to be in the right mindset for those. I also took off basically all of 2012 - 2022 from gaming so I've probably missed a lot, as I've only played a limited backlog of stuff in the last couple years.

Is there anything with a similar feel to the campaign of Relink? Monster Hunter jumps to mind, but I was hit or miss on that one (though I suppose I could try again, it's been a while so I cant recall what didnt jive for me).

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I know they’re totally different games, but I recently picked up Devil May Cry 5 and Persona 3 Reload on sales.

About to finish what I’m working on and really can’t decide which to grab next. Anyone have any insight to sway me one way or another?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Thank you both. Played about an hour.

Umm, holy gently caress? How did nobody tell me its like if you smushed a 3d fighting game into sicknasty Soulsvibe where you buy moves over time.

I fuckin love souls games (and suck at them) and love fighting games (and am decent at it) soooo this rules like hell