Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
He's been publicly crazy since the reunion in the mid-late 2000s. Since the early days of twitter he was tweeting about chem trails and poo poo like that. He actually cooled off for a while and touched base with reality (or so I thought), up until just recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I think it's one of two things:

1. He's not a particularly intelligent person, but he means well. Because throughout the interview, he babbles on about listening to people and considering their viewpoint.
2. Or, he is an intelligent person, but just not very well informed and has been too poisoned to see that he's misinformed.

I really think it's more #1 than #2. Like, it's hard to listen to him talk because he's so unfocused and there doesn't seem to be a point that he's trying to make. I think he means well, he just doesn't understand what he's talking about and has taken up with the wrong people.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I always considered him that nerdy socially awkward kid that was gifted with an undeniable sense of song craft. It's high school and there's the one dude with the super awesome house and usually has bomb rear end parties. You want to be his friend because holy hell it's a GREAT time, but talking to him for more than ten minutes on something other than a mutual interest in Black Sabbath and you realize he's super goony and has some bizarre ideas, to the point where you don't really want to know him but god drat some of those parties were mythical weren't they?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Cemetry Gator posted:

I think it's one of two things:

1. He's not a particularly intelligent person, but he means well. Because throughout the interview, he babbles on about listening to people and considering their viewpoint.

:agreed:

hatelull posted:

I always considered him that nerdy socially awkward kid that was gifted with an undeniable sense of song craft. It's high school and there's the one dude with the super awesome house and usually has bomb rear end parties. You want to be his friend because holy hell it's a GREAT time, but talking to him for more than ten minutes on something other than a mutual interest in Black Sabbath and you realize he's super goony and has some bizarre ideas, to the point where you don't really want to know him but god drat some of those parties were mythical weren't they?

:agreed:

Cemetry Gator posted:

...sings okay.

Not :agreed:

funk_mata
Nov 1, 2005

I'm hot for you and you're hot for me--ooka dooka dicka dee.
Clapping Larry

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

gently caress, I wish this was remastered:

Thanks a lot. Inspired me to re-visit and fix my old Machina "pop" mix:

Stand Inside Your Love
I Of The Mourning
Sacred And Profane, The
Try, Try, Try
Here's To The Atom Bomb [Judas 0 Version]
Slow Dawn
Let Me Give The World To You
Innosence
Raindrops + Sunshowers
Real Love
Imploding Voice, The
Age Of Innocence
Vanity
If There Is A God [Piano]

It's my, "Billy decided to make a lot of pop songs after Adore" tracklist. I really like Machina outside of the ugly and meandering tracks like Heavy Metal Machine and Glass And The Ghost Children, but that's also how I felt about Mellon Collie. As far as ugly is concerned, "Silverfuck" is the only mean Smashing Pumpkins track I like because it seems sincere instead of cartoon-y.

Too bad the whole "art through adversity" thing is out the window with the current Pumpkins lineup or I'm sure the albums post-breakup would be good too.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Slow Dawn is so loving good.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

funk_mata posted:

Thanks a lot. Inspired me to re-visit and fix my old Machina "pop" mix:

Stand Inside Your Love
I Of The Mourning
Sacred And Profane, The
Try, Try, Try
Here's To The Atom Bomb [Judas 0 Version]
Slow Dawn
Let Me Give The World To You
Innosence
Raindrops + Sunshowers
Real Love
Imploding Voice, The
Age Of Innocence
Vanity
If There Is A God [Piano]

It's my, "Billy decided to make a lot of pop songs after Adore" tracklist. I really like Machina outside of the ugly and meandering tracks like Heavy Metal Machine and Glass And The Ghost Children, but that's also how I felt about Mellon Collie. As far as ugly is concerned, "Silverfuck" is the only mean Smashing Pumpkins track I like because it seems sincere instead of cartoon-y.

Too bad the whole "art through adversity" thing is out the window with the current Pumpkins lineup or I'm sure the albums post-breakup would be good too.

No Go, no go.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Also, I personally love Heavy Metal Machine and Glass and the Ghost Children and as a random guy on the internet I feel Billy should take my advice.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

syntaxfunction posted:

Also, I personally love Heavy Metal Machine and Glass and the Ghost Children and as a random guy on the internet I feel Billy should take my advice.

I really like that other Glass song "I'll be by the pool, playing with my guns" one.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Blissed and Gone is my absolute favorite post MCIS song. It is a shame it was buried on a Machina tie in disc and at the end of Rotten Apples.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

mayodreams posted:

Blissed and Gone is my absolute favorite post MCIS song. It is a shame it was buried on a Machina tie in disc and at the end of Rotten Apples.

I love it when its done with guitar and cannot stand it when it's the throbbing, gross sounding electronic stuff that made it onto rotten apples

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Allen Wren posted:

No Go, no go.

So, does James Iha actually have a kid, or did he take some artistic liberties with the lyrics there?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Noise Machine posted:

So, does James Iha actually have a kid, or did he take some artistic liberties with the lyrics there?

I have literally no idea, I admit I've never been able to parse that line and never bothered to look up the lyrics.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Billy is an intelligent guy but like a lot of smart people that led to intellectual laziness born of arrogance.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

There's no way any of you is going to get me to believe that the dude from the smashing pumpkins is actually intelligent

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

A human heart posted:

There's no way any of you is going to get me to believe that the dude from the smashing pumpkins is actually intelligent

see that's exactly what they want you to think sheeple

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

A human heart posted:

He has a really enormous head? Does that count for anything?

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

BigFactory posted:

He has a really enormous head? Does that count for anything?

Well I mean being microcephalic usually means you're not too much in the IQ department, so it has to work the other way too right?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Platypus Farm posted:

Well I mean being microcephalic usually means you're not too much in the IQ department, so it has to work the other way too right?

Big giant foolish toddler head=more brains.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Corgan's politics are bewildering. It's fun to remember that this is the man who gave us "Blinking with Fists".

edit: http://www.popmatters.com/review/blinking-with-fists/

Astrochicken fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 17, 2016

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Billy was always a bit of an rear end in a top hat and now he's a rich liberal, once you get over the initial 'whoa' it's more like 'yep'

Weird times for the rest of the band to start feeling they can stand to be around him though...

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 18, 2016

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I mean he's pro-Trump and thinks Bernie is a maniac, and he thinks social justice warriors are destroying our society. I don't know if I'd classify him as liberal at this point.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

baka kaba posted:

Billy was always a bit of an rear end in a top hat and now he's a rich liberallibertarian, once you get over the initial 'whoa' it's more like 'yep'

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Baron von Eevl posted:

I mean he's pro-Trump and thinks Bernie is a maniac, and he thinks social justice warriors are destroying our society. I don't know if I'd classify him as liberal at this point.

His whole problem with 'SJWs' is that they're criticising him and other liberals, which apparently makes them worse than the KKK (whose free speech he'll grudgingly defend because he's not the target). He's left wing until it affects him, that's pretty classic liberalism. I'll let our good friend Phil Ochs step in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u52Oz-54VYw

I'll give you libertarianism with the whole gold hoarding thing though. Oh billy...

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

baka kaba posted:

His whole problem with 'SJWs' is that they're criticising him and other liberals, which apparently makes them worse than the KKK (whose free speech he'll grudgingly defend because he's not the target). He's left wing until it affects him, that's pretty classic liberalism. I'll let our good friend Phil Ochs step in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u52Oz-54VYw

I'll give you libertarianism with the whole gold hoarding thing though. Oh billy...

He doesn't hold any liberal (in the sense of modern, democratic party liberalism, not the john stuart mill kind) views at all. He's pretty much the poster boy for the lunatic fringe right-wing neocons like Alex Jones. chemtrails, government cover-ups, monsanto being the new version of the octopus, and all that.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
I was listening to Superwolf earlier and it reminded me that Zwan existed ahaha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLPgz9K4D20

aahahah

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Me in my single use time machine I invented: *clicks dial past kill Hitler* **clicks dial past 9/11* Ah, the date Sweeney and Pajo agreed to be in Zwan *slams button*

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, but Mary Star of the Sea is better than anything else Billy's put out since maybe American Gothic.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I bought the Zwan album the week it came out but I've never bought a smashing pumpkins album. I don't know if I've listened to it more than twice though.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I thought it was pretty good too. At the time people compared it to Siamese Dream without all the doom and gloom.

My phone auto capitalized Siamese Dream, thanks.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

BANME.sh posted:

Yeah I thought it was pretty good too. At the time people compared it to Siamese Dream without all the doom and gloom.

My phone auto capitalized Siamese Dream, thanks.

I don't know who the hell these people are, but goddamn, that definitely isn't a shared opinion, at least with me. I don't mean that MSotS sucks or anything, but Siamese quality?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The weakest songs are towards the front of the album, but it's really loving good overall.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Let's talk about his electronic solo album from 2005. I haven't listened to that since it was released. I wonder how it's aged

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

BANME.sh posted:

Let's talk about his electronic solo album from 2005. I haven't listened to that since it was released. I wonder how it's aged

I liked this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMERrNAbzbQ

I seem to remember not liking anything else.

In trying to remember it YouTube also suggested this to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hYPo2py77A

:black101:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I was listening to Superwolf earlier and it reminded me that Zwan existed ahaha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLPgz9K4D20

aahahah

I like Zwan :negative:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Zwan was good. I think it's a little sad that it didn't pan out, because I really enjoyed Mary Star.

Also TheCameraEye and Mina Loy from TheFutureEmbrace were good songs. The rest were meh to okay-ish.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Muscially, Sad/Angry Billy > Happy Billy.

Always and forever.

EDIT: Also, while I enjoyed this song, the video does it no favours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7HheYR-vDM

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 22, 2016

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

LordPants posted:

There are dozens of us out there.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Noise Machine posted:

There are dozens of us out there.

el sol into broken heart is maybe my favorite two song sequence of all time. I saw Zwan live 3 times when they were active and loved every single show and would rank them near the top of all the concerts I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

LordPants posted:

I only liked 'chrysanthemum'

does anyone have a list of the best live/bootleg pumpkins shows from the 90s? I only have a few bootleg albums and most of them aren't really noteworthy.

• Locked thread