Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Funny thing is, when i went to research ticket prices a month ago for the show here in houston , stubhub showed a pic of smashing pumpkins w/ Iha front left sharing center space with billy. I asked my pumpkins-obsessed friend if he'd heard anything about a reunion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

No Iha in SLC, but thats OK.

Good show, I got to hear the Space Oddity cover which was actually fantastic live.

The keyboardist/bassist/backup singer needs to learn how to dance her awkward flailing was so distracting we all started talking in our section about it.

Billy made an ISIS goat loving joke after some guys in the crowd and him had some funny joke bantering.

Loved the acoustic setup and the layering of band members as the night progressed. Was very unique and definitely intimate. Now if Billy would stop loving rushing every song he plays with others. No Billy its not a race, pick a meter and stick with it.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
http://pitchfork.com/news/64926-billy-corgan-compares-social-justice-warriors-to-the-kkk/

Woof.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

I've never been more offended. Holodecks are from Star Trek, not Star Wars.

On a more serious note, I'm not surprised, and I guess nobody else is either. Billy always was or at least presented himself as a big weirdo, and with age this turned him into the "drat kids get off my lawn" type he is now.
Also not too surprised about his "free speech" rage. I guess he's still sore over the flack he got for the Ever incident. Billy, free speech means that you can say what you want. That's what you're doing right there on the show. It does not mean that you don't have to face some backlash if you say something lovely. Bonus points for praising the times when the KKK was roaming the streets.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 19, 2016

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Billy gonna make murica great again. Kurt will always be considered more important and he got Courtney and you didn't Billy, nya nya.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

DominoDancing posted:

On a more serious note, I'm not surprised, and I guess nobody else is either. Billy always was or at least presented himself as a big weirdo, and with age this turned him into the "drat kids get off my lawn" type he is now.
Also not too surprised about his "free speech" rage. I guess he's still sore over the flack he got for the Ever incident. Billy, free speech means that you can say what you want. That's what you're doing right there on the show. It does not mean that you don't have to face some backlash if you say something lovely. Bonus points for praising the times when the KKK was roaming the streets.

I think the problem is, and where I agree with him, is that the message isn't the problem, it's the delivery. There's a certain rabid-dog type approach when it comes to social issues that completely eliminates any possibility of changing hearts and minds. It's a mix of stubbornness and intolerance that the internet has helped make worse with each generation. It doesn't matter which side history will ultimately judge as correct, in the here and now SJW's can look every bit as crazed and aggressive as the KKK or the Black Panthers. When I think of SJW as a derogatory term that's who I apply it to, not every person who thinks gays should have equal rights. It's not a blanket term to encompass all progressive people, only the zealots.

I know that's not how everyone else feels, and Billy is probably up right now worrying about chemtrails so who knows what's going on inside that head of his.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

ChesterJT posted:

It doesn't matter which side history will ultimately judge as correct, in the here and now robocop's can look every bit as crazed and aggressive as the KKK or the Black Panthers. When I think of robocop as a derogatory term that's who I apply it to, not every person who thinks gays should have equal rights. It's not a blanket term to encompass all progressive people, only the zealots.

I don't remember that scene, was that from the third one where he gets a jetpack? Maybe the TV show?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't remember that scene, was that from the third one where he gets a jetpack? Maybe the TV show?

Ugh, that jetpack one was the WORST.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

hahaha they autocorrect that on the forums now? That's awesome. (RC2 was the best by the way)

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

ChesterJT posted:

[...] now SJW's can look every bit as crazed and aggressive as the KKK [...]

Hey, I too sometimes snicker about the fact that half of the dictionary has to come with a trigger warning now, but let's save these comparisons for when SJWs have also literally lynched thousands of people.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

What's with this robocop thing? Is it a word filter or something? Also, is something going on with the word 'cuck' on these forums?

EDIT: Hahahaha, answered my own question. Wow, had no idea the word cu.ck was filtered. Good!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah a bunch of worlds are auto filtered, you can quote the post and see what they are.

hth.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

DominoDancing posted:

Hey, I too sometimes snicker about the fact that half of the dictionary has to come with a trigger warning now, but let's save these comparisons for when SJWs have also literally lynched thousands of people.

Everything doesn't have to be all in or nothing. It's like when someone says they wish they could have lived back in the 50's and someone immediately says OH YEAH CAUSE BLACK PEOPLE HAD SEPARATE DRINKING FOUNTAINS, HITLER.

Also weird that your post didn't get changed to robocop. I call shenanigans!

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 20, 2016

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

ChesterJT posted:

I think the problem is, and where I agree with him, is that the message isn't the problem, it's the delivery. There's a certain rabid-dog type approach when it comes to social issues that completely eliminates any possibility of changing hearts and minds. It's a mix of stubbornness and intolerance that the internet has helped make worse with each generation. It doesn't matter which side history will ultimately judge as correct, in the here and now SJW's can look every bit as crazed and aggressive as the KKK or the Black Panthers. When I think of SJW as a derogatory term that's who I apply it to, not every person who thinks gays should have equal rights. It's not a blanket term to encompass all progressive people, only the zealots.

I know that's not how everyone else feels, and Billy is probably up right now worrying about chemtrails so who knows what's going on inside that head of his.

The Black Panthers were heroes exactly because they were "aggressive"

spliffaz
Oct 29, 2007

Langolas posted:

Was this a one time occurrence or did Iha join them for the tour so far? I see them tomorrow night in SLC... same venue I first saw Iha play with APC

I'd like to see a reformed Smashing Pumpkins, but odds are it's one time, although a 3 guitar attack wouldn't be impossible. Up next, the Zwan reunion tour ft. Powerman 5000.

Sorry if this has been answered before, (Or if I've asked it before! I'm a forum idiot), but regarding the original CD pressing of MCIS, how rare are the swapped CD colors? It always threw me off when I put in someone elses blue disc and Where Boys Fear to Tread started playing.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
My disc 2 is blue, and from googling it just now, apparently it was a canadian pressing thing.

spliffaz
Oct 29, 2007

BANME.sh posted:

My disc 2 is blue, and from googling it just now, apparently it was a canadian pressing thing.

I bought it day one in Canada, with disc 1 being blue and disc 2 being red, (well, green since I'm colorblind). I've tried looking around to see if it's become a collectable thing, but more for curiosity's sake. On another note, did anybody actually like the Ava Adore mono mix over the stereo? The reissues have some really neat content, but that one seemed superfluous.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

spliffaz posted:

I bought it day one in Canada, with disc 1 being blue and disc 2 being red, (well, green since I'm colorblind). I've tried looking around to see if it's become a collectable thing, but more for curiosity's sake. On another note, did anybody actually like the Ava Adore mono mix over the stereo? The reissues have some really neat content, but that one seemed superfluous.

Well, that was the mix they used for the original vinyl release.

It's an interesting listen, and it is pretty cool. There's since differences here and there, such as the drums on Ava Adore not having that one effect or Perfect running at a slower speed and not being cross-faded.

Plus, it's great when you are using a mono source to listen to music.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Wretzky called Iha's appearances "really healthy," adding that Iha is the only Pumpkin with whom she keeps in contact "here and there." According to BlastEcho, Wretzky told them she had been approached about rejoining the band four times, but also said she hadn't talked to Corgan since 1999. She said she would "consider going back" to the band, adding, "Circumstances would have to be a certain way. It's much too complicated. I wouldn't be able to tell you anyway."

[img-its-happening]

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

BANME.sh posted:

[img-its-happening]

Can I buy tickets yet? Please tell me where to buy the tickets!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Wait, isn't D'arcy kind of not in a good place now? How the gently caress did anyone get a hold of her, also?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Want there a picture a little while ago of her, Billy and Marilyn Manson? Was that Courtney?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Stumbleine is so great.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wait, isn't D'arcy kind of not in a good place now? How the gently caress did anyone get a hold of her, also?

Yeah, D'arcy had a hard life post Pumpkins and from what I've heard included at one point being addicted to crack. The unfortunate plastic surgery isn't helping her out either.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

gently caress, I wish this was remastered:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTGcCr8L_t4

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Such a good song.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ChesterJT posted:

Such a good song.

It really is. The main reason I love the pumpkins is that the music almost always just transports me to another world, emotionally. Not a lot of music does this to me, though I like a bunch of different stuff. But Pumpkins music, I absolutely love. It has this depth, and quality. Billy is maddeningly detailed in the studio, and I always have appreciated that. It kind of bums me out that he is (or at least comes across as) a totla shithead in real life, but artistically, he's loving fantastic.

Anyway, I never heard Vanity when it was released. I think I heard it for the first time about 2-3 years ago, and immediately fell in love with it. It's got that classic Pumpkins quality to it, despite being written/recorded near the end (of the first era). It, Set the Ray to Jerry, and Porcelina are definitely my top 3.

Now, more of the recent stuff (Monuments) doesn't do this to me, but I'm still willing to give it a few more listens. I've forgotten about it, honestly. I loved Oceania, but not at first or fifth listen. It just ended up grabbing me after a while, aside from The Celestials and one of the later tracks that just drags.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I honestly think a lot of the B-sides/EPs of Machina II are better than what was on the "album". I just really, really want a double album reissue of Machina I/II but according to Billy the label is being a dick. Ever since he announced remasters and his plan to rerecord the Machinas that's what I've been waiting on.

Seriously though, Machina II should contain (In my opinion and in no order):
Cash Star Star
Dross
Real Love
Go
Let Me Give The World To You
White Spyder
If There Is A God
Here's To The Atom Bomb
Slow Dawn
Vanity
Saturnine
Lucky 13
Speed Kills

Seriously, that's 13 tracks, and it removes the alternate takes that litter Machina II and the EPs.

Come on Billy, I'm fiending for it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

Machine II stuff:

Here's To The Atom Bomb

Now, are we talking old-school guitar rock version, or that horrible electronic one?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Now, are we talking old-school guitar rock version, or that horrible electronic one?

Honestly, I love them both, put them both on the record as bookends or nearly so.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Just popping in here to say I just rediscovered Medellia of the Gray Skies from an old single I had lying around. What a great song

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

I really liked the version of Here's to the Atom Bomb from the greatest hit's b-sides disk, which IIRC had a lot of Machina 2 stuff in it.

Of course, if we're talking that greatest hit's B-sides, I'd love remasters of Winterlong, Soot and Stars, and Blissed and Gone.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

Of course, if we're talking that greatest hit's B-sides, I'd love remasters of Winterlong, Soot and Stars, and Blissed and Gone.

Oh my god, I've loved this song since I heard it. I feel like it should have been at the end of Adore.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Oh my god, I've loved this song since I heard it. I feel like it should have been at the end of Adore.

It should've been. And LMGTWTY should have been presented on the record, preferably the sparse, stark acoustic version that was mostly carried with billy's soaring voice and soft backing piano like they played at the viper room in 98.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Well, he's gone full political (yet again):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs2IzNEQEKk

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Oh for gently caress's sake

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Whelp, I think I'm done here. Thanks for the years of teen angst Billy.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjX4Ole8rDs

At least about the current political state of things around here. The "facebook stole my contacts" thing just reeks of old man not understanding technology.

Hey look at it this way, he could have rambled on about chemtrails brainwashing us for 30 minutes.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 13, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ChesterJT posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjX4Ole8rDs

Hey look at it this way, he could have rambled on about chemtrails brainwashing us for 30 minutes.

I feel like he was 3 seconds away from doing that anyway.

Billy, what happened? :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Billy, what happened? :smith:

Based on what I've seen, he was always a little off. I imagine though that when he was a relevant artist on Virgin records, he wouldn't have been able to get on anything like the Alex Jones show. And back then, MTV isn't going to ask him about conspiracy theories or poo poo. Remember, he just didn't have the same access that he once did. If he was on a TV show, it was likely to just play his song or talk about his new album. Also, the early 90s were a different time, and so some of this SJW nonsense didn't exist.

Also, crazy probably helps crazy. I mean, it takes 80 seconds for the host to say "The Matrix is here!" I mean, if you're talking to a sane person, they're not going to start talking about how ATMs are part of a massive conspiracy to observe your every move.

Come on. It's the secret chip inside your wallets that do that. Some people don't use ATMs. But more people use wallets.

And you might be saying "But what about people who don't use wallets?" And we say "Check your pockets."

And you might say "What about people who don't use pockets?" And we say that those people will be the first with their backs against the wall when the revolution comes.

Also, did he talk about the innovators? Billy, you're not an innovator. What the gently caress do you know about poo poo. You just play guitar really well and sing okay.

• Locked thread