Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
post != edit

I don't know how I hosed that up.

curse of flubber fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 18, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

Could I get some feedback on this?
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/507622
I made this in a rush, in about a month, taking about 8 hours a day to do it. Also please completely ignore the story, it will make no sense whatsoever.

I want to get to the level where I can do short animations for quick money for people and poo poo. I'm only 17 so I have a hell of way to go but any help would be appreciated.

I'm doing part 2 now which will make a lot more sense and hopefully be funny and interesting. Gonna try and put a whole bunch of 3D poo poo in there too. If anyone's interested, here is some documents I'm using to help me with part 2. It's super poo poo because I have to put a whole bunch of useless crap in there for my extended project.
http://www.zshare.net/download/7134109142bb281d/
I'd appreciate criticism of the story since I am a terrible writer. The story is in terrible note form as well.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

hello fence posted:

aw rats :(

well, I DO know that it's not perfect, I had a heck of a time trying to render out a file that I could upload to youtube, and it looks like exporting is where a lot of the hate is coming from. I've also seen it crash on people, but not on myself (yet!) but I mean, other than that I've had only minor troubles so far. at the very least I find it fun to draw in, and I have an okay time animating. I guess I'll just enjoy it while I can!

Develop a ctrl+s twitch. This advice will save you days of work.

As for exporting, Flash is fine with that, usually, but it doesn't animate movie clips. Basically, what you see when you preview the animation with enter is what you'll export. So either use lots of graphics instead of movieclips or export it as a SWF and get a SWF to video converter.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Hackuma posted:

It does, you just have to turn them into graphic symbols and change the drop down box on the properties screen to loop (or play X times).

But then they're not movie clips anymore, and are graphics, like I said.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Just finished an animation project for my Foundation in Art and Design course, based on a true story.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA5hA-BuLaI
My first attempt at hand drawn animation. Been so used to using only a tablet and Flash since I was like 11 or so. It was fun, if incredibly time and soul consuming. Took me about a month or two.

Also it completely hosed over my sleeping pattern. It's half six in the morning here, and I woke up at around 8PM yesterday. I have to go to Uni at half nine as well.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

There's always keepvid. It mould accomplish the same thing except you don't pay anything.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1tUL0JA43I
Everything's unfinished and I don't really want criticism for it just yet, but anything helpful will be appreciated.

Mainly I'm just posting this in an effort to revive this thread.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Aleque posted:

I am currently using Flash CS4 for animation and I seem to have everything I need: hotkeys all optimized, extensions installed, workspace organized. Now that Flash CS6 is out, is it worth considering? I don't use the coding side of the Flash - that's why I want to know if CS6 offers any features that animators particularly can benefit from.

It looks much cooler. Besides that, it has support for HTML5 which is useful for web stuff, especially with iThings now. There's been more emphasis on 3D stuff, which I never use with Flash, but maybe it could be useful one day? It generates sprite sheets, which seems like an incredibly easy thing to add, but it could save you a bit of time if you had to do that manually.

I just found out that in CS5 they introduced a thing which means you can resize your entire animation without having to change your canvas then individually resize everything.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Aleque posted:

Can you please give me an example how it works? I use alot of nesting: symbols within symbols, etc. (on different layers).

I have been considering to implement After Effects into my animation pipeline process as it looks like there are alot of features that AE can do that would have been hard or tedious to do in flash: effects, camera, exporting. But I don't know. AE seems much much heavy/slow to work with and the editing of individual sound effects doesn't seem to great. Maybe it's a question of developing new habits.

I remember for instance doing earthquake effect in Flash and it was not the best way of doing it: doing a 5-10 frames of cam-shake on a symbol that contains lots of other symbols inside (that again contain some other symbols inside as well). Plus you have to sync the frames afterwards. In AE I could have done it in a matter of seconds.

I have been animating in Flash for over 12 years and I'm always looking for new ways how to take some shortcuts to make life easier animating by reusing old drawings, animations, sounds, using extensions and hotkeys. I would love to share some experience with other eager animators in here, and perhaps learn something myself. Just ask :)

You should get a virtual AS camera or something. Adam Phillips made them popular, so you know they're good. I have no idea how to do the scale thing, I just read it from a list of new features in CS5 from the adobe website.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Aleque posted:

Can you please elaborate? I want to know all about it :)
Well the AS3 and AS2 counterparts are here:
http://weblog.motion-graphics.org/archives/2008/04/as3_camera.html#more
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/javascript/2004/08/17/flashhacks.html?page=2

Basically you tween it like a normal object, and it will display everything in the frame, even with shearing or tinting or what-have-you. I don't think blur effects or anything work in it, it's rather old.

It'll save you a bunch of time if you want any panning or other camera tricks in your Flash. The only problem is if you want a video, rather than a swf, it's impossible to export in Flash. You'd have to record the swf in Flashants thing or camtasia or something. There isn't actually that much support out there for making Flash into professional animation tool, but there's just enough that we can make do.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

korusan posted:

My friend and I made an exercise in reusing models from an older cartoon. Does our newest short look too cheap?

Yes. No offense, but the level you're at now, you should get all the practice you need in drawing, it really lets you be more creative with your animation anyway. Try a few different camera angles.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Wheany posted:

I have some questions as a non-animator: How long does it take to render the final frames in a modern "tv quality" 3d animation? I'd imagine that the time scales pretty linearly with the resolution, so a full hd frame would take about 5 times as long as a dvd-resolution frame, but adding fancier lighting and physics and such would probably slow the thing down more.

Are they even rendered at some fixed "media resolution" or is everything just rendered at like 4k and then scaled down?

Varies horribly depending on what equipment you have, the content, the lights, etc... There is no one answer for this, everyone does it differently.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Could I have some constructive criticism on my portfolio?
http://kodie.me/

I've spent a few months on it and I'm quite happy with where it's at right now, but please feel free to rip right in to it and tell me if there's anything I could do to improve on it.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

That's weird. Have you got mute on?

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Crossposting this from the CGI thread because this thread gets like no people posting in it and I'm not sure where to post this anyways.

Just finished off my first, big, group project. Lots of heartbreak and effort was involved.
ROCKS.

I did all the animation past 27 seconds, plus all the previs stuff, bit of preproduction, bits and bobs. The director didn't really like deviating much from his ideas. Really I should've done all the animation, but I've been depressed recently because of reasons and I needed to reduce as much stress as possible.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Finally have a new showreel. Had to pad it a bit with old work, but I think it's looking good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIiZZwLk88I
I am going to create a temporary portfolio site tomorrow. Just a simple div design so I can apply for internships. When I finish this year of my course, I'll be able to do it justice.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I'm trying to get out of Flash animation because it is terrible and Adobe is terrible and I hate it it is bad.

What are the benefits and weaknesses between ToonBoom Harmony and TV Paint?

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

neonnoodle posted:

Toon Boom (whether Harmony or the Animate software) is more similar to Flash than TVP is. TB is designed with Flash users in mind, so a lot of the keyboard shortcuts are the same, the look of the timeline is similar, and the software is vector based. There is also support for symbol-like swapping and drawing reuse in Toon Boom, although there is not as deep a symbol hierarchy as you have in Flash. Flash animation at this point has kind of become its own medium with its own quirks and best practices. Toon Boom builds on the traditions which started in Flash, and improves upon them, but it's still a flavor of the same basic system as Flash. If you first learned animation by learning Flash animation, then Toon Boom is probably for you. Also, if you're a 3D native and you understand node-based compositing, there's some of that stuff in TB also.

TVP is a whole nother animal. It is based on the workflow of traditional hand-drawn animation, so if you learned how to animate on paper, TVP makes a lot of sense. It's a mind-bogglingly powerful piece of software with a ton of features and a steep learning curve. The manual is dense and occasionally confusing because the developers are French and their English isn't perfect. The drawing tools are extremely versatile and customizable. There is a scripting language and a system for making your own toolbars and custom plugins, and a pretty active user base. With TVP you pretty much have a complete animation studio in a box, from storyboard, to animatic, to rough animation, to cleanup, to color and FX.

In either TB or TVP you will probably still have to use some kind of third-party compositing software for certain FX or camera moves, or for complex soundtracks.

For professional development, I believe Flash and TB are industry-standard in the US. A few studios use TVP (Disney, for instance), but TVP is far more common in Europe, particularly in France.

Thank you; this is hugely helpful. I think Toon Boom would probably be easiest for me to learn, coming from a heavy Flash background and familiar with the node system, but I really want to branch out and create entirely different looking work to what I'm used to. I think I'll end up giving TVP a shot.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'm not sure if it's still the case but Toon Boom is usually super friendly about letting people try out their software. Like they have special evaluation versions of Toon Boom that don't expire but put a watermark on your video so you're free to learn the software without the financial investment.

It is, according to Adam Phillips. Apparently, they are super helpful if you contact them directly, they'll pretty much tailor a package to your project.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Dodgeball posted:

Flash animators: help me out.

I have a few Graphic Symbols that use complicated masks. When playing the .FLA file, or scrubbing the playhead, it appears as if the mask is working. But, once exported to a .SWF, the masking gets all hosed up.

I've tried a few different things:

1. Consolidating all the graphic symbols that make up the mask into a nested symbol (so it's all on one layer, even nested, for example, to get to the mask symbol's layers to adjust them individually, you have to open the full symbol, then the masking layer, then the [only] layer that contains the masking elements, roughly 15 layers.)

2. If there's any alpha changes to layers that act as masks, I make sure to remove them (on some masks, this hasn't definitively worked, so I consider it to not be the problem.

One example is a collection of fire works. The explosions are all just white squares that are tweened to look like white fireworks, then I turn that into a mask, and place a colorful layer that changes colors frequently below it and apply the mask. In Flash, it looks great (see attached image), but, when I go to play it, sometimes only a few of the masking explosions are shown. Other times, after a few adjustments (that I quickly undo after failing) the masked layer shows without any masking.

First person to tell me what the hell I'm doing wrong gets my eternal gratitude. The second through last person to tell me what the hell I'm doing wrong get my one-week free-trial of gratitude.

EDIT: I'm using Adobe Flash CC, and it's up-to-date as of this morning.

That sounds like some low level vector rounding error loving up poo poo, which there isn't much you can do about besides keep loving with poo poo until it works. More examples or the FLA/SWF file or something would be helpful.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

This is probably super finicky thing to complain about, but do we really have to call everything in animation an, 'illusion'? In your second example, the ball has momentum, it's moving between frames more or less over time, that is the definition of momentum, if that's an illusion, then so is a film of a real ball doing the same thing.

Again, super nit-picky, but it just nags at me a bit.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

What are the differences and benefits of TVPaint and ToonBoom? In the summer I really want to get back into 2D animation, but I want to leave Flash far, far behind. I know ToonBoom is apparently great for Flash veterans, but I'm absolutely fine with learning new skills if TVPaint is good.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

TVPaint is looking pretty cool. Vectors seem to gently caress up all the time, and 3D tracking doesn't seem that important. I feel like it would be simpler to do any 3D effects in Maya and all the 2D animation in ToonBoom. I'm leaning more towards TVP right now, since I want to learn something completely new and experiment with new techniques and that, TVPaint just seems like what Flash should be by now if Adobe targeted Flash more for animators.

Plus, I really don't like all that puppet style of animation. It looks really ugly to me, it even almost put me off Archer, but Archer is just so good in all the other ways.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I'm thinking of learning either Toon Boom or TV Paint, but I'm not sure which one. I've been using Flash to animate since I was 11, and it's safe to say I'm over that awful stage of my life now. I'm looking to create more natural 2D FBF stuff, so I'm thinking of TVP, but the interface looks like poo poo, whereas Toon Boom seems to have straight up more features. I'm a fan of Manga Studio's painting engine, but I'm also a heavy Maya rigger/animator/modeller, NukeX person, so I'd be totally comfortable learning TB's node based stuff. Money is of no concern, I just want to see if I can find the best program for me.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

The new TVP actually looks pretty decent now. Y'all convinced me. It'll be nice to get away from vectors too, though I assume Toon Boom would have handled vectors better than I'm used to with Flash randomly destroying your work if you make one wrong move.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I tried out TVPaint, it's pretty cool.

I haven't really done any 2D animation in years, and I still don't really have the time to. When he gets up, I was trying to do a thing where he was being lifted up by his head, but kinda hosed up with the legs and the everything else. Nice little bit of fun though.

Right now I'm working on a cartoon Baman rig that's been killing me for the past year, and there was actually a week period where I was seriously afraid of dying from exhaustion from staying up 7 days without sleep.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Ccs posted:

What are you using to rig? Is it a toon boom rig or 3D in Maya? Cause there are a ton of modular auto-rigging solutions to make rigging super fast and easy these days.

Man, 7 days without sleep, I have never and hope never to do that.

I'm well aware of them, but this is a very specialist fake 2D thing using mocap and crazy stuff. It was for my Innovations project so yeah.

Don't do it, by the end I was hallucinating nurbs controls on the maya background, I had to concentrate to find the real ones. My wrists felt like they were tightening and I kept having to wear eyepatches because of the strain on them. Sucked balls man. The worse times was when I kept missing my own deadlines for posting the stuff to Uni, after I missed my Royal Mail window I wrote a big soppy facebook post on my uni group page begging for someone to hand in my work on a USB, got a few offers which was great.

bitmap posted:

Don't do it, Megaspel. You're a young man.

Too late, already did it, don't want to do it again. If I didn't I would have failed my final year of uni and had to have spent thousands of pounds and a year of my life to redo it. Looking back on my last year, probably would've been better for me.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Keith Stack posted:

I like to make animations!

Like this Alka-Seltzer commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjyXGTEHgMc

Or this Wario:

Those are wicked. In your video, with the mouths, are they frame-by-frame animation, or did you do any sort of shape tweening with them? It looks like something that could be done with either and a bunch of layers. Is it Flash or another program?

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Sorta animation related. I've been working on and off on this rig for the past year or so, and I've finally finished with the rig breakdown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO3uRNjEWfM

My next step is to tear down my website and build it back up again before my ad goes out in a couple days. Then I'll try and get an updated showreel cut together not too long after.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Communist Toast posted:

I like character animation the most, it's really rewarding to be able to bring life to my drawings. I am only experienced with 2d though. I want to make my own cartoons, I've also thought about getting involved in making games in a small team. Thing is I also want a job, I want to be able to market myself as capable for a wide variety of jobs related to animation. I just want to cover all my bases.

Do you have links to your existing work? My advice would change depending on where you're at currently.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Communist Toast posted:

I don't have much at the moment. I just graduated with an associates in fine arts from a community college and decided to pursue my longtime hobby of animation. I'm currently trying to do a weekly challenge for myself to build up a portfolio and practice. Here's what I've been working on since yesterday:

The movement is a little choppier than I'd like it, but as my first walk cycle in many years I'm pretty happy with it.

Looks great, it'd be cool to see it when it's done.

Forget about illustrator, that's really only for graphic design I reckon. You don't really need more than a rudimentary knowledge of After Effects, but it definitely is rather helpful for finishing touches if you know what you do with it. From there it gets a bit more complicated, because it changes depending on your specialization.

I'm a mostly 3D dude, I use Nuke, Maya and After Effects mostly. Nuke is great if you know exactly what's going on, and what stuff you need to render out from Maya and what to do with it, you probably don't have to worry too much about Nuke though, but it couldn't hurt to just learn what you can do with it, to see if you're interested in taking it further.

Maya/Max is probably pretty similar, I think it's just down to preference between the two, but different companies prefer different packages when you go work for them. I think Maya is better for animation in general, but I haven't a clue how to use 3DS Max, so I could be completely mistaken.

For 2D animation I would choose between Toonboom and TVpaint. Toonboom is a bit more like Flash, except not poo poo and terrible in every way. It's based on vectors and has lots of room for rigging and tweening and all of that sorta stuff if you're interested. TVPaint seems more simple, raster based, but it doesn't feel like it's had quite as much development time as Toonboom appears to have had. I don't have much experience in either, I've been out of practice with 2D animation for a while, and I need to get back into it at some point. If you're used to Flash, you're probably best upgrading to Toonboom. Whatever you do, don't stick with Flash, it's dying, Adobe's not going to be improving it any more, not that they ever did, but Flash is so bad in so many ways, and after a week of learning Toon Boom or whatever, you'll be glad you've left it in the dirt. Plus I doubt many major animation studios use Flash any more, if you want to work at a studio.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Communist Toast posted:

Thanks for all the advice man!

3D is definitely the most daunting part of learning animation to me. Sculpting feels so unnatural and tedious, but I want to learn to do it on top of animation. I read that you can sculpt in Zbrush and then adjust the topology for animation, is that true/actually easier? I'll definitely be dropping Flash and Illustrator, and pick up toonboom.

Yeah, Zbrush is great for sculpting, but it takes a lot of time and practice to learn all the buttons. I personally don't think the UI is fantastic or intuitive, but it seems to have the best engine, and I know a lot of sculptors who have many more hours put in than me, love it. There's definitely a massive learning curve for it at the beginning, but well worth the time.

The stuff you sculpt in Zbrush isn't going to be usable in animation until you retopologize it, like you said, you can do this inside of Zbrush, but I still haven't figured out how, something to do with the retopo gun, I'm sure there's plenty of tutorials.

Since I'm lazy, I tend to just import the mesh into Maya, set it as a live object so that when I move vertices, it snaps onto the object. From their I just create a new mesh and edge model it around the zbrush mesh. The retopo gun method is probably quicker and better, so it's probably best to figure that out than to go through my lazy yet probably less-efficient method.

But yeah, good topology is 100% necessary for not poo poo animation. If you have bad topology, that's going to mess up the deformation super bad and make everything look like garbage. General rules of thumbs I follow, try to stick to quads as much as possible, sometimes I break this rule and hide a triangle up the nose or something, and always be aware of your loops. A loop is like a line of quads basically, you have a loop around the eyes, circles really, around the mouth, then like around the bridge of the nose but also upper lips. Crazy stuff, but it can be fun if you like solving puzzles, just look at good examples of topology for a decent idea of what you want to end up with.

curse of flubber fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 28, 2015

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Macksy posted:

What's a good program for doing simple hand drawn animations? Like I want to just be able to draw a bunch of frames of figures and test how it animates then ink them in mangastudio or photoshop.

What are you using it for? Because if it's just for practice then there are loads of free stuff. There's this one person on tumblr who uses some DS app to make some pretty nifty stuff.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

SRM posted:

Flipnote, but I'm not sure you can get it anymore.

Pffft. DS is easy enough to get a flash cart or something.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Started 2D animating for the first time in years. I haven't done a proper 2D project in about 4 years, it's really weird coming back to it after going through an animation course where I animated nothing 2D.
https://twitter.com/bizarspel/status/718552683494449153

bitmap posted:

negatory. The license is in perpetuity.

negatory

Is it not possible to buy a cheap bamboo or intuos or something, a cheap laptop, then sell them when you get your stuff back?

curse of flubber fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 9, 2016

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I will never get an animation job.
https://twitter.com/bizarspel/status/733369424498065409
Beep boop I am a bad animator.

HelloWinter posted:

Hello again!! I decided to take the challenge of starting and completing an animation within a day. This is what came up.

Oh hey, it's you from twitter. Cool stuff.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Ccs posted:

I like the McElroy reference.
McElroy bros for lyfe. I used to just listen to mbmbam then after I came back after a brief hiatus there was polygon vids and like a thousand podcasts to catch back up on.

bitmap posted:

Nice wand flourish :c00l:
Cheers, that's the one bit I'm proud of.

This was like my first proper 2D animation thing in something like 4 or 5 years or something, you can see at the beginning how terrible it is compared to the end. I think in the future I need to spend more time redoing roughs if I'm not happy with them rather than just rushing forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

bitmap posted:

did thing! got job!

Congrats! I'm waiting on a company in Amsterdam to look at my animation test for a job at this very moment, hoping to hear the same good news.

Anybody know what a reasonable salary would be as a Junior Animator in Amsterdam would be?

curse of flubber fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 27, 2016