Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I'm considering going for studying 2D animation, I've already covered my bases education wise (unrelated field), so I cant take another 4 years so 2 years or less will have to do.

I was actually thinking of applying in Capilano University, has anyone heard of anything about it? do any of you know of any short-term (2y or less) programs that are good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Times posted:

:siren: And then, here is SOMETHING IMPORTANT - WATCH THIS DOCUMENTARY ABOUT DISNEY BEFORE DISNEY GETS IT YANKED FROM THE INTERNET AGAIN OH MY GOD http://vimeo.com/39111006 :siren:

Unreleased unauthorized documentary film about the very troubled production of what eventually became the emperor's new groove. The studio was in a REALLY unhappy place around that time. Watch this film because it will show off just how brutal the animation industry can be, and also give some insight into Disney's early 2000's downfall.

I just watched this, and honestly I don't see anything way out of the ordinary or super brutal for animated film production, I mean yeah it kinda sucked for the guy with the goatee that his initial ideas for the movie was rejected, but this is normal, and honestly from what I can tell the initial draft looked like an inferior product than what came out later.

and I hardly see an 'unhappiness' and 'signs of a downfall', it just looked like people going over making a movie and having to re-work it from scratch, hardly something super-dramatic and honestly the product that came out in the end was much better. so unless I missed something (other than the fact that they hired a theater person as head of an animation studio) I don't see any explanation of what caused disney's 2000's downfall.

I dunno, maybe because I read so much about how Japanese and Asian animators suffered so much I just became desensitized.

Also is it me or does the guy with the goatee sound EXACTLY like the dad from malcolm in the middle?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

bitmap posted:

sailor haters gonna hate sailors

Hey bitmap, I'm looking for animators for a 4 minute long animated short, with a needed commitment time of 4 and a half months and with a quota of 40-50 seconds a month (rough animation, of course, with cleanup it will likely be between 20-30 seconds), paid per second. Are you free or interested? if you want to know more details let me know and I'll provide an email then we can discuss details including expected pay.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

neonnoodle posted:

I'm interested even though you didn't ask me. :blush:
You can e-mail me at sa.neonnoodle@gmail.com if you want.

Oh poo poo sorry! This is absolutely an open invitation! I will send you an email soon!

TO ANYONE INTERESTED:-

I am looking for animators for a four minute animation short. PAID. Please let me know if you're interested, however take note of the following:-

1- this is frame by frame all the way through.

2- it'll be a big plus to have good effects animation skills but character is most important.

3- you must commit to both rough and cleanup and finish the monthly quota. If you want to part-time this then you can form a team with some one who will finish what you can't (rough-cleanup team) but the pay will be split as if both of you are one person. Full timers will be given preference for the position.

I am also looking for a background/ layout artist to help the one we have speed things along. Painterly brush style art. Take note, the guy you'll be working with is pretty loving Disney in terms of technical skill. So you better have perspective down real hard. But most likely you will be taking his line work and layouts and coloring refining them so I'm going to focus on your eye for color.

Applications are welcome for all. If anybody shows interest I will provide my email address.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 27, 2014

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

neonnoodle posted:

Just curious, is this on 2's? Because 40-50 seconds of rough animation per month is pretty intense.

Yes it's on two's, but there's alot of still shots and snappy movements and it's not super fluid to the point of insanity except for a few key scenes so it's not like the ENTIRE cartoon is nothing but characters moving on twos. To finish the cartoon in four months with three animators each person would need to finish 16 seconds of fully cleaned up and lined animation per month, based off of previous experience while this is more suitable for full timers it's still doable.

*email sent*

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 27, 2014

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

bitmap posted:

quick draft extremes. breakdowns next.

I'll take that as a 'not interested' :smith:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

bitmap posted:

Oh! I didn't see that! Um, not so much a "not interested" as "stupid buried under work and I might not even be able to finish what I've already accepted oh god oh god", but thankyou for asking, really.

Ah ok I understand. :)

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

bitmap posted:

Hey I just won this dreamworks competition and I get to develop a movie and pitch it to dreamworks? I think I speak for everyone when I say we're all waiting for "shrek babies"!!!

YO CONGRATULATIONS!!!! WOW! I'm loving jealous as poo poo right now.

can you link us to your entry?

What competition was it!? that's awesome!!

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Apr 3, 2014

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Today for the first time in my life I successfully finished a three minute animation I created and directed a team of people to do. :unsmith:

I can honestly say few moments in my life compare with how immensely proud I am, it's a huge personal breakthrough for me. I now know why Olympian runners cry tears of joy when they win, it's been a long ride, and I finally managed to make something good out of it in the end.

it was hand animated all the way with special photoshop brushes to give a watercolor look, all frame by frame.

I cant share it right now, since it needs one more week of polish, but I have a question, I was leaning towards immediately releasing it online once its finished, but some people have been telling me to try the Festival circuit a little before I release it full time because that's where talent scouts are and they're generally anal about youtube. What do you guys think?

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Yeah I was definitely disappointed when I found out this thing was more of a compositing and inking tool than something a normal human being can use.