Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater
Hey everybody! It's the Achewood thread!

Achewood is a webcomic, drawn and written by Chris Onstad, about the lives of some anthropomorphic animals. Not that it's a furry comic or anything. But you don't have to take my word for it. If you want to begin reading the comic, the best advice I can give is to just start at the beginning. If you'd prefer to start where the characters are a bit more established, This is a good place to start, and is, I believe, the starting point in the newest anthology.

Thread Title:

Achewood: A comic where things go *splut*:

And now, more strips about Todd, because everybody loves Todd.

Oh, for the love of all that is holy, if you're the first one to comment on the newest strip, be sure to start your post with

The addition of Bold/Italics is always welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Chris Onstad posted:

Why does this thread have the "MUSIC!" tag? I like jokes, but this is BEYOND THE PALE.

Only kidding. I guess it's a reference to the original phrase from which this thread takes its title. I GUESS.

That's it exactly! It was either that or "Sex".

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

From the Freezepop Fanflow:

quote:

...it's achewood's 8th birthday as well! in honor of that, the awesome photo of the day is our re-enactment of the iconic first achewood:

(note that it is slightly historically incorrect, as that is a qy-70 manual, and not a drum machine one.)

i have never been so starstruck meeting a stuffed otter.

Doc Faustus fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 2, 2009

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

glug posted:

Psst. Even if most of us can't see it (anyone who is not a member of that particular comic's fanflow) you probably should try not to direct link pics. :)

Thanks, fixed.

Zefiel: Freezepop is NOT disbanding. The Duke is leaving the band, but is being replaced by (mainly) Seth Damascus-Kennedy. In short, touring will be the same as it has been for a while, and I guess we'll see where the band goes in terms of song writing.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Calaveron posted:

May God have mercy on his soul

Just be glad nobody suggested Douglas Adams' "Bureaucracy"

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Especially if you are already wearing one when you scream it.

Merchandising idea for Mr. Onstad...

Achewood Condoms: For when you game pipe is rad and walkin'

Someone send in a good image of Ray and see how it turns out: http://secure.condomania.com/prodinfo.asp?number=C-YOU

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Dammit, someone get over to Lyle's and take bake Chris's Sun Lamp. Dude's got a bad case of S.O.-S.A.D.

edit: If we're not going to get new achewood, we should at least be posting the strips we're referencing.

Doc Faustus fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 18, 2010

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Phy posted:

Tomorrow's recipe is chicken

Who ate Ray's dang nachos?

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Out of curiosity, how many people here ordered something that they never received? I know the number is non-zero, and that's a bad thing, but I get the impression there's a bit of an echo chamber here.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

A Tasty Burger posted:

It says copyright Chris Onstad in the front so I guess it probably wouldn't be legal,

Copyright exists as soon as a work is "fixed," i.e. as soon as he writes it down. Even if it doesn't say copyright or have the © symbol.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

McGravin posted:

I made "Perfect Oven Fries Every Time" last night. They came out quite good, but I've got to complain about how complicated the procedure is. Unnecessarily so, I would say.

Taking the potatoes out, turning up the heat, then putting the potatoes back in seems like a silly step. I question why it was necessary.

If you do it all at the high temp, the outsides will burn before the insides are done. Do it all on the low temp, and they'll just be... bleh. Proper french fries are fried in two oil temps for that exact reason. :science:

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Dodgeball posted:

I didn't have chicken stock, so I used watered down worcestershire sauce

Is this actually in the recipe, or are you just a crazy person?

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Ubik posted:

I just realized the thing that's really bothering me about the new strip:

I think Onstad should have started with another of the one-off strips, like the ones he did near the end of 2010 that were still pretty good material (Honest Man Comix/How To Be Happy/etc.), rather than introducing us to what looks like the start of a longer storyline. After failing to deliver on the last one, failing to deliver on restarting Achewood for a long time, etc., it feels like he's promising way too much after delivering too little. I'd rather have a few "Tone Poem" strips and a fizzle than have him slog halfway through a storyline and then leave everything in the air. At this point, his bond with his readers seems to have broken down enough that nobody expects him to finish Ray in Rehab, and he's taking a pretty big gamble on the way he's restarted Achewood.

I think if you produce comics based on what will allow you to make x number of strips per week or whatever, you get Garfield. I say let the man draw the strips that pop into his head. If they're long and ambitious, great. If they're one-offs, also great.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Some days I dream of just closing this thread, in the hope that the people who mostly just want to talk about cookbook money and complain about the recent updates wouldn't go looking for its replacement.

:allears:

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Dominion posted:

So you want the thread to be, what, just a bunch of "remember that time" posts? There's not much to talk about in an Achewood thread nowadays other than complain about lack of updates, complain about lovely updates, or complain about Onstad.

This thread has been going for over two years, and literally all of your posts in it are bitching about updates/cookbooks/strip quality. Go read something else, maybe? I do realize there's not a lot going on Achewood-wise, but it's not like we're keeping the strip going by posting frequently.

Maybe Onstad would do better by releasing Achewood graphic novel-style? He clearly wants to tell longer-format, weirder stories, and a thrice-weekly strip isn't really the best format for that. I'd be perfectly happy to see one big release every six months.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

You're all missing the obvious choice: Phillipe as Robin.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

If Snoopy is a straight up sexual being, does that mean in the Achewood-verse his cousin Spike is a crack dealer who once ran over a kid while escaping the fuzz?

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Link please, Fyodor.

Always sad to see Achewood dying (dead?), but at least this way I can always go back to it, unlike a dozen other webcomics lost to time.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Not much to do with Achewood, but recent ~news~ had me thinking about the forums and good goddamn does it make me happy to see a thread I started in *2009* is still going. I remember racing to post Achewood Thread Three during the Great Outdoor Fight: I was living in my freshman year dorm room. That was... 15 years ago.

This thread is brain tape since young times.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

If Onstad doesn't post a strip in 5 years showing Ray losing his ears I'm closing the thread.

lol I'm stupid and can't read a comic strip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

NoneMoreNegative posted:

WHERE ITS ALWAYS TIME FOR PLAIN BLACK SOCKS

All 3 receipts within 30 minutes of each other. Beef does not waste time.