Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Wow, came in expecting dozens of post about Juche and how it will lead North Korea to triumph over vicious imperialist aggressors, not some ramblings about... something.

Juche realism lead Todd to glorious victory by getting his slant on with Kim Jong Il!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Something tells me there's no getting one's slant on in a Distant Town, either.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

:siren: New strip! :siren:

People would take Kim Jong-Il more seriously if he changed his name to Ultraviolet Thunder.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

:siren: New strip is up! :siren:

In which we learn that a watermelon swan can make enough broth for a week.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

We will probably find out about the same time we find out about the fate of Scrambles, the lost dog.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

:siren: New strip is up!:siren:

Who WILL be America's next Most Disabled Ballerina? The world must know, to its detriment!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

This event in February looks really awesome.

Nick Gurewitch & Chris Onstad - "Internet Famous: The Life & Times of Nick & Chris"

Free and open to the public, but I am completely on the wrong coast for it.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Portland has been kinda grim lately but today actually had blue sky. There's a new strip today. Coincidence?

(They need to surround the city with a bank of full-spectrum lights for our own well-being.)

I suspect there is a market for tomatoes grown in hated-at dirt. They might make the best curry.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Helter Skelter posted:

:siren: New strip! :siren:

Gotta say, I am really loving this little arc we're on right now.

I cannot stop laughing at Philippe's get-up in this strip.

Little massive man, indeed.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Deathlove posted:

Has anyone received Cookbook II recently? The notice about not shipping until Christmas is still on the item's page, so I don't know if that problem is still ongoing.

I'm not sure anyone has received Cookbook II yet. It is the Godot of online comic culinary merchandise.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

McGravin posted:

Have you forgotten Scrambles? It seems Onstad has.

Scrambles left Todd to go find a nice lady who gave him a pint of IPA and a job at a merchant bank, this is what I tell myself at night.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Howard Beale posted:

What with all those memory shout-outs, I hope this doesn't mean Philippe is a replicant.

I would think the tests with the French fry and the couch would have proved that he was human, but now that I say that I don't know what the parameters would be for a replicant otter.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

:siren: NEW STRIP :siren:
Nightlights are simultaneously reassuring and disquieting.

One of Philippe's recipes in the first cookbook mentions appetizers his mom and dad made in their house in Bourdeaux before the fire. And now his mom lives in Iowa. That little tidbit makes the sadness of the pork chop in the last strip that much worse. It is hard to top an Iowan pork tenderloin sandwich.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Chris Onstad posted:

Come and read about me cooking animal testicles!

http://www.portlandmercury.com/portland/testicle-its-whats-for-dinner/Content?oid=2518292

You'll come for the tale of cooking animal testes, but you'll stay for the fantastic preview of Nice Pete's fried chicken recipe from Cookbook II!

Next week's Mercury letter column will probably be filled with angry letters from sanctimonious hipsters, alas. Maybe a follow-up column about PBR would placate them?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Flying-PCP posted:

Is this the first time Pete has seriously hurt someone "on camera"? I can't remember another time.

All I can think of are self-inflicted injuries. There was that time he cut himself in front of Little Nephew. Oh, and then the USB murder machine stabbed him in the eye...

His description of the fried chicken recipe made me fear for Alton Brown, as I seem to recall his fried chicken involved elaborate preparation including either buttermilk, brining, or both.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

http://www.geekologie.com/2010/06/why_no_seriously_why_iphone_ba.php

Why isn't she rocking the TriplePlay?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Grandpa Pap posted:

He's gonna look like the guy I saw walking down the street the other day: thousand yard stare, polo shirt with the collar all hosed up, mouthbreathing, and still wearing a plastic hospital info bracelet on his wrist. Needless to say I did not make eye contact with that gentleman.

Either that or Lie Bot's giving Philippe the mother of all "What is the saddest thing" replies.

The weather here in Portland has been crap as of late, I blame it for the rough chuckles. (Seriously, the heat came on this morning. Happy Fourth of July.)

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Revol posted:

Mr. Onstad raises an excellent point. Is it even possible to choke on moist food?

Given sufficient quantities of moist food, I would say yes. However, most chinchilla puppies have the sense to eat reasonable portion sizes and take small bites.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Onstad's comment in the 2nd Dark Horse volume about Scrambles makes me sad :(

I like to picture Scrambles relaxing on a beach with a margarita. He never mentioned where he was going when he was lost, turns out it was a trip to the airport.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Deathlove posted:

Remember how Chris is Teodor?

Strips like this make me wonder.

We had a 70-degree day on Wednesday here in Stumptown, I shudder to think what he'll come up with once the rain really begins in earnest tomorrow...

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

I had an Achewood dream the other day where a new comic was announced, but to view it, you had to visit a particular Portland bus stop, and Onstad would lead a group from there to his house. (It was only going to display on his home monitor.) Then we had to climb a giant moss-covered ramp to get to the third floor, as that was the only way to get into the house. Sadly, I think I woke up before I saw what the strip was.

In non-dream news, I received a memo from Amazon that Volume 3's delivery date moved up to 12/8/10 instead of 12/30. This is the first moving-forward notice I can remember, and next week is jut around the corner.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Satorr posted:

I saw the post start with "achewood dream, etc." and I skipped the rest because my attention span was out on break and I was ultra-pumped about the book actually getting BUMPED.

This day has lasted for ages. Is it the 8th yet? Is it the 8th yet?

If Vol 3 has moved up, are there similar plans for Cookbook 2?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

withak posted:

Everyone who pre-ordered the second cookbook back in <...searches gmail...> September of '09.

Same here. There does appear to be a note from 12/18/09 saying that publication was delayed and "delivery before Christmas in unlikely" [sic].

As recently as May of 2010 it was going to be done real soon now.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

I want to believe.

Though this Married to the Sea comic accurately describes the weather in Stumptown, so I'm holding back a little.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Speaking of Todd, I came to the realization the other day that his ideal voice actor would be Greg Proops. He could probably do Blister, too, now that I think of it.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

One of my favorite Todd strips is right towards the end of the Party arc.

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=04152002

Notice that your van is frikking awesome
Notice No 37852

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

"I have a Prince Albert" joins "what do you get when you multiply six by nine" in the pantheon of Scrabble messages as narrative.

Wait, those are the only two times I can think of Scrabble letters being used as a plot point. But still...

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

platero posted:

It's a food place that doesn't allow kids, which sounds like a good idea to me.

A food place which retweets @AynRandBot, no thanks.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Grandpa Pap posted:

This pretty much. Whenever something weird or seedy or downright unseemly happens in the US, by and large most people's first intuition is that it happened in Florida. And they're not often wrong. :v:

For a recent example: a woman in Florida just burned down a 3500-year-old tree by smoking meth inside it.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

My Dude and Catastrophe hoodie is still holding together, though I don't know if I will ever be able to replace it now.

Thankfully, my pint glass is still intact.

Onstad writes restaurant reviews for the local weekly -- there was some drama a few weeks ago about one of them but it may have been an old guy yelling at a cloud.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Did we ever figure out who ate Ray's nachos? I forget.

I really figured that Onstad would show up in the Hamlet CYOA book that was on Kickstarter. It was a cavalcade of online comics and his absence hurts a bit.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

We've had sun in Portland for the last few days.

Perhaps he can finally bite through that piece of toast, metaphorically speaking.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

If it weren't for the possibility of HR complaints, I would always have this strip printed out and framed and hung in every office I occupy for now and forever. It is my motivational poster.

Had a discussion with friends about Comic Sans the other day and I brought up the strip about the son of a bitch who invented it.

I've often thought about bringing in my framed copy of that into work, but have similar qualms that somebody would be sad. (Probably somebody who uses it in their e-mail.)

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

I WANT TO BELIEVE.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Short as it may be, Lyle's brief stint into sobriety and his endeavor to subtly improve the quality of life of a religious, all girl school, where he is imprisoned and trying to escape, via cooking is one of my most favorites bits of writing I've ever read in my life.

That is beautiful and I'm so sad I don't recall reading it before.

Falling down the Achewood hole led me to this gem: Pat calls Roast Beef on the moon

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Loving Life Partner posted:

Aside from who ate Ray's dang nachos, what's your favorite unsolved Achewood mystery?

Personally, I'd love to know who just got... yellled aaaat, and for what reason.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03292007

I want to know what happened to Scrambles, because he was lost! Poor guy.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Atmus posted:

Who cares, it's Pat.

Did Pat ever have a successful business? His blog entries about the vegan place with the pennyfarthing bicycle and the rounds of contractors were some of my favorites.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Pat's Subway was so successful, Vlad decided to terminate his business.

Terminate...with extreme prejudice.

Holy crap, Pat's Subway's hacked message board is the Tea Party Community.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

This is excellent news, as my Dude and Catastrophe hoodie was looking a little ragged the other day and now I have a hope of replacing it if need be.

Philippe's Flow Chart needs its very own giant poser.

YES!

HI!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Saw this last night:

https://twitter.com/achewood/status/326208382098870273

Roast Beef in "Nighthawks" plus... balloon men?