Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Oodles posted:

Jesus, I thought engineers all had the same sense of humour.

Someone asked on r/engineering about what a girl should wear for an interview. I said nothing, to show she didn't have anything to hide.

Holy crap, they really can't take trolling over there. It's turning into tumblr

I hope you don't make the same jokes at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

canyoneer posted:

So I'm a finance geek at a semiconductor company. One of the dudes in my MBA program is asking for a recommendation/referral for a job inside my company. It's for a technical role and I'd recommend him without hesitation, although of course I can't speak to any of his skills as an engineer. I want to write him a good recommendation, but don't know what I should emphasize based on what I've observed working with him on a bunch of group projects on MBA coursework.

If you're the hiring manager on the other side of this conversation, what sort of skills would you be looking for? Are there any areas that I should emphasize in my evaluation?

Communication skills. An engineer that can't write (or present/report/etc) is basically useless beyond entry level work.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
No sane company is going to yank an offer if you make a counter-offer that isn't stupid. The worst they'll do is say no and the best will be the easiest raise you've ever gotten.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

KetTarma posted:

http://resumetointerviews.com/

I think they have a thread in SA for a coupon for goons.

I used them. 6 months later, I discovered that a headhunting firm was using my redacted resume as their "example of a perfect resume."

I used them as well and had a lot of success in my last job hunt.

E: It was cheaper when I did it though...

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

notZaar posted:

The focus of a PhD should be novel research. I can't really see the benefit of just taking more high level math and physics courses online. When I was doing my Masters I felt like the most productive time was spent in the lab doing the experiments and analyzing the data. The classes felt more like a nuisance than anything else.

The sole purpose of classes in grad school are exposure to very specialized topics and to support your research. The grades were basically a "did you go to class and complete your assignments" check. Below a B-average would get you on academic probation.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

HondaCivet posted:

Kind of related to my earlier question . . . do any of you folks actually work in systems engineering, or controls, robotics, mechatronics, something like that? I was just interested in hearing more about what the day-to-day life of an engineer in that area is like, and what skills have been most useful to you.

I work in robotics, half software half systems half test engineering is the one sentence version of what I do. One day I'm developing a new feature on a piece of software, the next I'm debugging a network on a vehicle in a field, the next I'm designing a safety state machine for a new platform. It's a very dynamic environment, but that's also the nature of my company (we're only about 40 people or so).

Most useful skill? Writing. I could not keep track of what I do if I didn't take good notes and produce good written feedback/documentation/test reports/whatever.

Also, learn Python. Python is amazing.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

HondaCivet posted:

Thanks! Would either of you mind telling me what industry/company you're in and what kind of products you're working on? I'm assuming you don't want to post such things publicly so PMs would be great if you had the time. :)

Sent a PM.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
The correct answer to any salary question is “negotiable”.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

silence_kit posted:

Again, it is all a matter of level of snobbery about location. If you are a mechanical engineer, odds are that you aren't going to be working and living in Manhattan or SF. Sure, living in the DC suburbs allows you to look down on people who are living outside major metro areas, but believe me, there are people out there (to be clear, this is not me) who are looking down on your way of life. This is why I'm saying this discussion about location is all a matter of level of snobbery.

In an earlier post, someone mentioned getting a job as a mechanical engineer for Google, Apple, etc. This is not that easy. Google and Apple employ very few mechanical engineers. However, they employ armies of software developers. If you are really really status obsessed, it might be a good idea to not study engineering.

I’m not sure how you’re getting the idea that mechanical engineers can’t get a job in any city or state in the country, it’s probably the most adaptable engineering degree out of the traditional choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Nohearum posted:

This has probably come up before, but does anyone have tips on how to transition from mechanical engineering to a software focused role? I've been working at a giant aerospace defense contractor for the last 8 years after getting my ME degree. I'm a lead analysis engineer now and I mainly deal with mechanisms/dynamics/controls/loads simulations. As part of this position I do a fair amount of programming to generate simulations, automate processes and postprocess data from analyses. The pay is decent but I'm really just burnt out of mechanical analysis at this point and ready to move onto something different. I've tried to discuss internal transfers to a software role with my manager but nothing fruitful comes out of it. I suspect part of this is because they don't have anyone trained to replace me if I leave.

I've always enjoyed the coding aspects of my job and would like to transition into this area full time. I'm struggling with specific jobs to search for and how I can make myself an attractive candidate for a software role without having a CS degree. I've spent the last 8 years working in a Linux environment with lots of experience with Python and Matlab, as well as some C, C++ and Fortran. I also have taken quite a few free courses online (algorithms, databases, machine learning etc) to try and expand my skillset. Any thoughts?

What do you think about self driving cars? Because mechanical engineers who actually do software work are a big part of my company and we are hiring like mad.

E: we also do work in mining and defense, not only commercial automotive