Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

huhu posted:

Would anyone happen to have any idea why a professor would require only pen for homework? My mechanical properties of materials professor is doing this and it sucks.

Excuse I've heard is so that students can't get their work back, erase it, and go to the prof asking for full marks because they had it right.

Realistically though, thats a stupid reason. Just say only work done in pen will be able to have marking corrections made. I had a prof who wanted stuff done like this as well, I just wound up doing most of my work on whiteboards, and once it was done I'd copy it out all nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

ch3cooh posted:

What do you do when sales lines moving 6 million cubic feet of gas per day star freezing up and the nearest methanol unit is 2 days away?

Improvise improvise improvise!

Cardboard? Seriously polystyrene is cheap and you could build a square tube around that very easily. Throw in some silicone sealant and your good!

.... Hope to hell my solar box works well over the next week or so.

(we just finished building solar boxes for a 4th year mech project. Interior temperature must maintain whatever standard it is between 9am-7pm, with only 4 Dcell batteries, no PV's/fuel sources, etc. Fun times!)

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

ch3cooh posted:

Polystyrene is indeed cheap and if I were within 2 hours of a store that sold it I would gladly buy some. Unfortunately we were limited to what we had in our pickups.

Ah, you're out in the middle of nowhere, makes sense now.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Nothing. I checked out the clubs and other various activities on campus but none of it interested me.

So, you eat, sleep, go to class, do homework, and nothing else? What are your accomplishments outside of class/workplace? Hobbies that have taken time/effort/dedication and have resulted in something cool can probably be listed in the place of school related extra-curriculars if you don't have any. Personally I'm listing my time as president of x club (not going to list, that + my av could give you my name :P) along with the restoration work I've been helping my dad with on his project car. (I want to work in the auto industry and I figure it shows interest)

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That "project club poo poo" is what you'll be doing for the rest of your life, so this is another reason to consider a different career path.

Plus that project club stuff is fun. Its cool being in charge of everything, from running practice nights, to ordering equipment, to making sure everyone is following the safety rules, to organizing competition nights with other universities... Doesn't feel like work.

Guess its my turn for a question: My marks aren't great (I don't know GPA, canada and at my uni we use %) but I have a fair bit of experience outside of engineering, i.e. clubs and whatnot. Also, my mark in project based courses (design projects) is a fair bit higher than my average. Aside from highlighting that in my cover letter, is there anything else I can do to get people to look past my transcript?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

On a serious note, licensing is not require for most engineers and outside of construction and public sector type stuff (think utilities) its rare to see a PE. As far as licensing in general, you want your structural engineers licensed for the same reason your doctors licensed. Actually, its arguably more important for engineers as when a bridge collapses it generally takes out more than one person...

Hmm? In ontario I don't think this is true...

Professional Engineers Ontario posted:

You require a license if:
- your work requires you to design, compose, evaluate, advise, report, direct or supervise; and
- the work will safeguard life, health, property or the public welfare; and
- the work requires the application of engineering principles.
You are not required to be licensed if, for example:
- your work is strictly related to research, testing, or inspection; or
- there is no risk to life, health, property or the public welfare if your work is performed incorrectly; or
- the work is strictly scientific in nature.

Basically if you're designing anything that will be used outside of a research lab, essentially. You need a degree from an accredited university, plus 4 years work experience, then you need to pass an ethics exam.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Thoguh posted:

That's to be a PE. Most engineering disciplines don't care about getting your PE. I work in defense and while everybody went to an ABET school, nobody has their PE or any plans to pursue it.

Ontario might be different then, as just about all engineers I know either have their PE or are working towards it. I know its anecdotal but that covers civil, a few mechs, a bunch of industrial guys...

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I'm in Canada, and graduating with a MechEng degree this year. My marks aren't the best, but also not the worst. Anyone here who deals with hiring mind taking a look at my resume? I've sent out probably 30+ resume's and cover letters, and I haven't heard anything back, and I'm wondering if theres some glaring error on my resume that I'm missing. :(

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Thoguh posted:

You're missing the point. What posters who have gone through Engineering degrees elsewhere are asking is how people can get through an extremely time consuming and intellectually intense course of study and be the "guys always at the pub". Nobody is questioning any Australian engineer's intelligence or anything, just wondering how the most demanding degree options can lead to having time to always be at the pub. Even if someone is excellent at managing their time, they're still going to have at most only a few nights open a week. And that would require being really disciplined about getting all your homework and studying done in the mornings/afternoons, and not having a part time job or being part of a university sports team or club.

Engineering students aren't all antisocial shut-ins necessarily, but they sure as hell aren't the guys who have a lot of time to drink and party.

My experience here in Canada sounds a lot closer to Nam Taf's than the american experience. The engineers here also have the reputation of being the heavy drinkers, but it's very much a work hard/play hard kinda feeling. Plus, the pub is an excellent place to work on assignments with friends over beers. :D

Thats not to say I don't spend most nights a week working. It's just that when I have nights off (I can usually swing friday/saturday, sometimes more/less depending on time of year) I'm out with friends.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

So, not 2 weeks out of school I managed to land a job. To all those still hunting, good luck! Don't be too worried about marks -- mine aren't great, and I managed just fine. It was more about my project experience than my marks. To those in the thread who have answered questions and helped out, a big thanks! :D

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Dead Pressed posted:

Go where you have a passion. For real.

Seriously. Do what you love, it makes life so much better.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Can-O-Raid posted:

I'm going into Uni for a general first-year program in Canada (Ontario, if it matters). I'm undecided about the program I want to enter, but mostly I'm thinking of Civil or Mining. How healthy are/will the jobs market be for these fields? Am I better off in Mechanical, which I also find pretty interesting?

Don't worry about it for now. Just go to the info nights for every discipline, and then choose what you like based on what sounds interesting to you, and what courses you enjoy / are good at. The info nights where I went were incredibly helpful about explaining what type of jobs they led to, and what kind of courses you should enjoy, etc.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Dead Pressed posted:

poo poo, I've been in my first full time job out of school for 7 weeks and my boss was surprised I knew what a goddamned jam nut was.

haha.

Ha, I'm at 4 weeks and they're impressed because I know how to read a P&ID, and understand the difference between ACFM and SCFM.

Plus I got to spend a week actually building poo poo, it's amazing how much the shop guys fix engineering fuckups. (And vice versa) Next week I get to test that system, and eventually assist in start-up in the middle of nowhere. I love my job. :science:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

2banks1swap.avi posted:

Does anyone have this attitude for real? I've seen the Industrial hate-train make its stops, and the whole "haha you make targets" thing with civil, but with Enviro Too?

It's gonna be fun when people realize they have to grow food near them geographically and with less fertilizer in the coming years.

Can you explain what you mean by environmental engineering? I've honestly never really understood the point behind a degree that was so specific like that - I graduated with a MechE degree, and am working for an environmental remediation company, and most of the people here have Elec and Mech degrees.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

2banks1swap.avi posted:

The major and the job position? :confused:

Sorry, just meant the major. :) You're in florida? There are tonnes of remediation projects going on down there, though state funding for the projects is just about dead apparently.

SubCrid TC posted:

It's not all that specific. The degrees I've seen are generally some combination of courses that would otherwise be seen in Civil, Geological, Chemical or Biological
engineering programs.

You can get involved in the environmental sector using almost any degree, because obviously you can approach environmental problems from all sorts of angles and you require all sorts of equipment and knowledge and construction to get to implement a lot of things. That's not the point of what's being referred to here though. Environmental engineers are supposed to have the background to understand the overall systems at play, how all the different environmental bits interact and how we can affect them.

Civil engineering often looks at things like water runoff and groundwater and things like that, but those people often don't have the chemical or biological background to go into too much depth when dealing with contamination. Chemical engineers may have the depth of understanding of chemistry but don't know all that much about hydrology or ground water travel.

It's basically a discipline that can actually look at environmental systems as a whole. It's also seems relatively versatile as programs seem to go into enough depth to actually have an understanding of the underlying things they're looking at. A lot of the environmental engineers I know seem to end up doing Environmental Impact Assessments, which really wouldn't be something I'd enjoy personally, but they also have the background to work in all sorts of industries. Waste treatment and water treatment/management are big ones, as is overall environmental systems planning for ongoing projects and remediation, but they're also involved in things like mining and heavy industry to deal with pollution issues, the resource sector to deal with resource management and the government to do various monitoring and assessment tasks.

Ah, okay. This makes a lot more sense. I don't know if I'd be able to stand doing impact assessments all day long, but I can see how the overall knowledge could be applied a lot of ways.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Shark Tower posted:

Hey guys, I was wondering if there was anyone in this thread who could critique my resume (and cover letter)? I graduated half a year ago in Mechanical Engineering, and have had absolutely no luck finding a full-time engineering position. I did a lot of co-op while I was an undergrad, and have been writing different cover letters for each company. But even with that, I'm not getting any interviews or responses from the applications I've been sending out. I can't say my undergrad's been stellar (had to repeat my first and second year, and my last year I had a really bad injury and was out half a year, meaning my degree took me 7.5 years when it only should've taken 5). My GPA's also completely in the gutter, so I haven't been including it in applications, instead trying to focus on my work experience. Is there something critical I'm missing here?

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8eqP2LdaTBQR1dsSzFPaWFReWFhaWdXcmZmUkV6QQ

I hope that your cover letters are a lot less generic than the one you posted there - ideally, writing a targeted cover letter for each job is best. Also, I've always thought you should list your work experience from most recent to least recent. If you can get your resume to 1 page, that always helps - especially for entry level positions, where they don't expect a tonne of work experience. I'd say your title block (name/address/etc info) on your resume could be a lot smaller, but the resume thread is probably a better bet.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Man, it's funny how different the mentality seems to be Canada vs the States re grades.

Maybe I just didn't apply to the right places when I graduated, but literally not once did I get asked for my grades, and none of my buddies seemed to get asked either. It's probably a good thing, as my average wasn't the best, but I blame that more on not being a good test writer. I was top 10-15% in every design course, and bottom 30% of most of my test based courses. Course, I took as many design courses as I did, and was involved in design stuff outside of school, so that gave me lots to talk about in interviews. I know where I work the hiring process seems to focus more on project experience & how much you bring to a team, rather than pure knowledge.

I think our top guys put it best when he said something along the lines of I can teach anyone with an engineering degree 95% of the technical things they'll need to know without any issue. Teaching someone how to be part of the team is a lot harder.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Tim Thomas posted:

Completely anecdotal, but I work for a major cap equipment firm as a systems/EE and am heavily involved with college hiring.

As a general rule, real world experience in the same or related industry is a huge plus. A co-op or internship is usually considered real world experience. Doing an interesting extracurricular project will often make up for lack of real world experience. Under no circumstances should you position classroom projects as something other than exactly that. The recruiters might have taken those classes, so when they see "Designed an 8 Bit adder!" as a line item under "Projects" and then see "Intro to digital design" as a class taken, they will know you are full of poo poo.

And then of course there are schools with final year industry sponsored design projects that actually, you know, do projects. My group implemented a data acquisition system on an electric tractor that previous years had built, monitoring a bunch of different things. Of course, I can talk about that project extensively and in depth in interviews to show it was a lot more than an intro course.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

That's because it's Allen Bradley, seriously gently caress AB. Their support sucks and they're incredibly overpriced.

Of course most of my rage comes because clients spec AB equipment when Direct Logic/AutomationDirect stuff works fine. For reference, I'm dealing with standalone units where we're not networking multiple PLC's or controlling complex equipment, generally deal with a mix of discrete and 4-20mA signals, and really only need the 4-20's for alarm set points and data logging. We don't do a tonne of math on the PLC, which is where I've heard AB can be better. I'm also not a programmer / electrical guy, I deal with the Mech side of things.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

huhu posted:

Also, I'm working on CAD architectural drawings for an Engineers Without Borders project. The way I do CAD drawings for mechanical engineering is draw a dimension or note once and then not repeat it. The lady that is correcting my drawings keeps adding notes and repeating them. One example is that there is an access hatch and I labeled it once as "Access Hatch". She has labeled it every time the access hatch shows up which is in several drawings. Is she an idiot or is this the way things are done for architectural drawings?

Label everything, every time, then hope to hell the shop guys read about 1/4 of it. (I do a decent amount of system layouts - If someone has to use your work to build something, label it everywhere.)

Yes, you were supposed to use Sch.80 PVC for everything, and yes I've found 3 Sch.40 pieces. Yes, you're going to have to fix it. It didn't say that on the drawings? Here let me show you where every single PVC item is labeled Sch.80 and it's listed in bold letters on every drawing.

Lots of new guys out in the shop, it's been a bad month for rework. :smithicide:

e: To clarify, our shop guys are awesome and will catch mistakes we make and bring them up so we can get it corrected. It's just good practice to label everything.

TrueChaos fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 12, 2012

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

huhu posted:

I've been going through engineering with a generally crappy GPA around 2.2 to 2.5. This past semester I finished 18.5 credits and got a 3.55 and dean's list. It brings my major GPA to a 3.03 and my overall GPA to a 2.96. How do I best advertise this?

Do this:

Pander posted:

Upward trend. Overcoming some sort of block. Getting into more advanced subjects that draw your interest rather than weed-out courses.

And this:

Dead Pressed posted:

Post it on your resume as in-major gpa 3.0. I don't think that is uncommon. Bring it up as a point of pride in the interview, know what your gpa is in the last x number of credits. IE, my last 30 credits I went from gpa of 2.6 average to 3.4.

We didn't do GPA at my school when I was there :canada: but the difference in my marks in my last 2 years vs my first 2 years was hilarious (~62% average vs ~93%). I talked about why in my interviews, (health issue in 2nd year + way more interesting course as things got more difficult + being able to choose courses that interested me) and for the most part it was a complete non-issue after it was explained.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Ingenium posted:

After having spent I good amount of time on the job hunt, I have become a bit curious about the sales engineer/applications engineer position. I seem to be getting the best feedback from these kinds of openings, but I am worried that it will make it difficult to move into a greater design focus engineering position in the future. For anyone here that has done hiring for engineering positions, do these kinds of jobs have a negative impact on a persons chances to obtain a more typical engineer job?

I'm an applications engineer for a company that builds environmental remediation systems. I deal with RFQ's from consultants that our sales reps bring in (so I'm not really involved in the actual "sales" aspect, outside of how we present our quote). I love it - fast paced work, and honestly 70-80% of design is done at the quote stage, at least for us. My bids usually have turnaround times of under a week, then you're on to something new. Plus it's great experience to see and understand the buisness side of things - because I work directly with the sales team I gain insight into their processes.

As for career path, I'm moving into a mechanical design role within the next year, and then likely starting up the management ladder within 2 years of that, so I'd say its good experience. But it's going to depend on where you work, and how they handle the applications role.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I've had the occasional 60 hour week, but they're incredibly rare. I usually average 40 or just over.

Ill happily stay late if I've got a deadline to hit, but realistically I'm salaried with no benefits for working overtime and our company is staffed such that I don't normally need to stay late to get everything I need to get done. I've done travel on the weekends, worked weekends to get a system out the door, etc, but that's the exception rather than the rule.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I'm expecting an offer for an 'intermediate' consulting engineering position, and am trying to find information on what I should be expecting salary wise. I'm going from a small town to a larger city within Ontario, Canada, and I really don't have a good reference - outside the feeling that I'm underpaid at my current position given the responsibilities involved (Lead engineer on custom system manufacturing projects - averaging >10 Mil / year in project value out the door, at a salary in the $60-70k range, with at minimum 35% of the sell price being direct profit after all expenses including building upkeep my salary etc. and working hours that frequently hit 50-60 hours per week.) Anyone know where I should be looking for general salary info?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Thanks for the info guys. I'm still with the first company out of school (7 years!) and I've moved up into my current position through the ranks, but without the salary increases I'd expect (despite asking for them). Two interviews for a new job, and they've checked with my references which from what I know is the last step before an offer, and now I'll have info to negotiate with.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Yeah, I did get an offer and am in the process of negotiating it now. I did read through the negotiation thread, and based on my research countered at ~12% more than their offer. Will be happy and take any counter above 6% immediately, given the bump over my current position.

I should hear back today, so we'll see how it goes. My current employer (also where all my references are!) found out I was looking and offered a promotion and a raise, so I've got that to consider (and use as a negotiating chip) as well.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Tnuctip posted:

Good luck! Just remember, you didnt magically become an a better engineer by putting in a job application, so how come only now your current firm is making it rain?

The offer came back at 11% over their initial, so I start there in 3 weeks!

spf3million posted:

Figuring out how things are approved/funded is the most important part. Getting ops on board that your project is actually good for them is the second most important. Hopefully your experience and relationships with ops will make that part easier.

One of the biggest things I learned doing system design is that if the operator is happy the system will run well. You can have the most fantastic system in the world, but if the operators aren't happy it's going to run like poo poo. I have changed chemical dosing controls from direct PID control based on measured values (i.e. sodium bisulfite dosing into an RO system to knock out chlorine, based on ORP measurements) back to simple flow pacing with operations setting the dosing rate on a per gallon basis, because the operators didn't like that the dosing wasn't directly proportional to flow at whatever they wanted to set it at.

We discussed the increase in associated chemical costs with the customer, but they were also fine with paying more in chemicals to keep operations happy. :v:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

If you want to get anywhere in the consulting world, you'll need a P.Eng. I'm a process engineer (water/wastewater) / PM though these days I'm doing more project management than anything else. As much as I miss design work (prior job was project engineer for modular water/wastewater/industrial water treatment) I managed a 50% salary bump switching to a consulting firm, which was worth it to me. We have a bunch of techs in the firm, but the ceiling for advancement is a lot lower, outside of a few edge cases.

Of course, we're stamping everything - where as my prior job didn't care about P.Eng as essentially nothing was stamped.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Not a Children posted:

As someone who works intimately with water/wastewater design, I'll second that this is an extremely medium bucks field. However, working in something that is inarguably a common good is worth a hell of a lot to me, so I fully endorse this tack, even if a flood of oil engineers into my industry has the potential to drive wages down.

Hey another person who makes sure poo poo flows downhill and then is occasionally pumped back up! :hfive:

It's a good industry, and we can't hire anywhere near enough people in my area, so wages are pretty good as a result. My coworker is on parental leave right now though, so my regular 40 hour work week hasn't been that for a while. Back to normal in two weeks...

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Canned Sunshine posted:

AZ PE here! I work in the Water/Wastewater industry in Phoenix, and at least for this industry, experienced PEs are still in pretty hot demand. I spent over 8 years in private consulting before I needed a break for life quality, and went to the municipal sector, but pretty much every consulting firm that we work with, large to small, seems to be looking for people due to the sheer amount of work that is available.

I think the same is true for other areas like heavy civil, transportation, etc., but if you're willing to learn, water/wastewater is pretty cool, especially since the Phoenix area is about to push heavily into toilet to tap, I mean, rear end to glass, I mean, direct potable re-use.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions in particular.

Not in phoenix, but another poo poo engineer over here in Ontario. I'm on the consulting side, and we'd hire 3 more of me if we could find them. There's massive amounts of work out there right now due to lack of infrastructure spending over the preceding decades, which has meant tons of municipal infrastructure on the water/wastewater side with deferred work that can't be deferred anymore.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Canned Sunshine posted:

Yeah, it's amazing (but not surprising) how few staff/project-level design engineers are currently available in the water/wastewater industry; it's basically like perpetual demand.

I've also noticed that for my age group, a lot of engineers seem to be going more to the public sector over time, largely due to the quality of life improvements and also the fact that at least in the US, there has been a lot of consolidation of the major consulting firms, which also means that what used to be actual partnerships/employee-owned, where you could do the (ridiculously stressful amount of) time and eventually become a principal and partner, where you'd just chase work and make bank.

Instead now though, you still are expecting to chase and win work and keep people billable, but that top-level partner option has basically gone away, so there's effectively an upper bound most will reach; I was doing 50-60 hour work weeks pretty consistently for the firm I worked for, and they were pushing me to go the PM track, but I really hate the idea of having to chase/win work, keep people billable so they're employed, etc. I also hated how much the firm exaggerated design efforts so that they could crank up the profit multiplier on projects, not that the lower-level staff doing all the work really saw much of that...

But it's a neat industry in general, and given the importance and all the deferred work like you said, isn't one that really hurts for job security during downturns.

I'm very lucky to be at a firm that is entirely employee owned. The way we're set up is a bit different - probably about 1/5th of the employee's have an ownership stake, and the amount of shares you get to purchase each year is dependent on performance. Last year, the shares returned about 50% - roughly 30% increase in share price, plus a dividend of about 20%. I'm both the PM and lead design engineer for my projects, and for the most part it's fun. The consistent 50+ hours a week (with some hitting 100) isn't great though. I've gotten to the point where I know how to say no to the stupid weeks, and I have less of an issue issue with 50 hour weeks because I'm now WFH and I spent more than 10 hours a week commuting before switching, so I'm still coming out ahead. Can't make what I make on the public side, I've looked - it'd be a >30% pay cut before considering the bonuses & dividends. From what I've seen, the higher up I get the less time you spend working, though that seems to flip again at the VP level.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Any field other than medical device QA is going to require a lot of learning, regardless of what he does. Being entirely unwilling to go back to school does not give me confidence for his prospects.

Canned Sunshine posted:

I think you said you are in Canada, right? It makes me wonder on the differences of Canadian vs. US employee-owned consultants. The firm I worked for had about 15,000 employees worldwide when I left, though most were in the US and its HQ is here. It's an S-Corp, but since it's private, we didn't get dividends, etc., and the bonus' were rather paltry for a company clearing several billion dollars a year. In general shares weren't performance-based, and you could buy as many or as few as you wanted. What was lovely though, to me at least, was that if you used the 401K that was available, the company would match it, but as their company stock, not as actual funds going towards investment. The company's "stock" price was set via comparison to other large, publicly traded peer firms and how they were performing.

I was generally doing 50-60 hour weeks, yeah. If there was some type of critical startup or operation that was occurring, that'd get us up to 90-100 hours/week too, but in general, if just doing design or analysis, yeah, 50-60 hours. The firm as structured though was fairly rigid in terms of job titles/classifications/etc., in that if you were a PM, you were expected to solely be doing PM-type work generally (billing, schedule management, winning client work), and little to no actual engineering effort. What I've noticed is that what a lot of firms call their "PM", my old firm called the EM - Engineering Manager, who often would still be involved in designs, while also managing the various discipline efforts into the project, doing the day-to-day schedule management, and handling the initial monthly pay app process before it went to the PM. I was at the EM level when I left but was being pushed to go to the PM level, which I absolutely did not want.

I took a pay cut to go to the public sector, but in some ways it wasn't as bad as it looks purely off the take-home pay, because I am saving a fortune in benefits, there's additional 401 contributions the city makes on top of the pension system, etc. Moving from the insurance we had at my firm to the city, saved us around $11,000 a year right there. Plus more time off, unlimited sick time and not-unlimited but very highly capped vacation time, that accrues and rolls over year-to-year and gets paid out when you leave or retire, etc.

Sometimes I have been tempted to go back, because I've had some offers, including my old firm that basically offered what would amount to about a 40% increase, but I'm not sure I could take the stress at this point.

Yeah, at a Canadian firm. It's probably a size related thing as well - we are not even 10% of the 15,000 person firm you were at. The benefits at my firm are entirely covered and better in some areas, worse in others than the public sector plans. Though being Canada, that's a roughly 4500CAD value. Typically private firms here will pay 50-75% of the cost of the benefits package. They're great on sick days, vacation, etc. So while it's occasionally stupid hours, I'll deal. Up here the real benefit to working in the public sector is the pension - but it's one of those things where you really do need 30 years in for it to make sense. I don't want to work till I'm 65, which rules it out for me at this point.

There are certainly PM's who do only PM work at our firm, but I'm essentially doing the PM + EM role you've described. Win the work, run the project, lead the process design aspects and coordinate the rest of the disciplines, plus do all the client side interactions/workshops/etc.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I'm a PM. The amount of time I spend making sure electrical has talked with mechanical has talked with I&C has talked to architecture has talked to structural is absurd.

It's mostly coordination, but I also lead the process design aspects. Which is mostly just reviewing others work these days.

I prefer it to straight design work, but I'm weird. I like seeing all aspects of the project, and working through all the stupid crap that comes up. Basically I spend a lot of time making sure the team has what they need to complete the work, and making sure they're working together / talking to each other during design. Then there's all the fun client management, scheduling, scope changes, side of things. I don't really enjoy doing my invoicing every month, but it's a necessary evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Pander posted:

I will never remember to tell structural about the wall mounted panel I'm installing until the day before issuance and you can't make me.

It's okay, I changed the process design making that panel redundant and forgot to let you know anyway :getin: