Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm in my 2nd year of Mechanical Engineering. Most of our lecturers are terrible and make no sense. We're doing Fourier series and the guy teaching it is worthless. How hosed am I for my Engineering degree? Will I be able to pass if I just get the recommended book for this module and teach myself by studying it at the library religiously? Is it even possible to learn well enough from a book to understand this stuff? It's really stressful, because it absolutely ruins motivation to even turn up to these 2 hour lectures when I walk out feeling like the only thing I've gained is a tick on my attendance.

Most of us are relying on Khan Academy to learn stuff like Laplace Transforms and Fourier, but it feels like an absolute joke that we need to resort to a free online resource because our paid-for lecturers aren't good at their jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Oodles posted:

The best part of my uni degree was when I found the past papers from previous years in the library.

I don’t think I gained much from lectures as I did from tutorials. You also sound keener than me, doing extra learning. I was to busy chasing girls, getting pissed and failing exams in 2nd Year.

I'm 25 and have repeated first year already, I don't have the luxury of chasing girls, cause if I gently caress up again, I'm out for good with a poo poo tonne of debt for nada

that being said, I still chase girls when I can :agesilaus:

Qubee fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Oct 26, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Pander posted:

Yeah somebody there will give a poo poo enough to help if you're earnestly trying to learn.

Having said that, in my line of work I've never used laplace/fourier transforms (mostly electrical, but also some mechancial/structural). If you think you might, learn it good. If not, just work your rear end off to pass the class and then you don't need to worry about it all that much.

This is the biggest thing that blows my mind about university. Once I graduate, how much of this poo poo will actually be used in day to day engineering? I feel like the entire point of this degree is just to prove to employers that I have what it takes to understand tough poo poo and work hard. Once I graduate, will the company I end up working for just teach me what they want me to do, or will I be sat in an office doing differential equations all day and working out stresses on a beam?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

so that settles it, I've taken a bunch of books out at the library and have been self teaching myself all this material because my lecturers aren't good. turned up for 4 hours of lectures today (2 hour blocks back to back) and it was just "read off the slides in a monotonous way" simulator. how are your students meant to be motivated and passionate when you clearly don't want to be here yourself, ya gently caress. and uploading lecture notes at 7:40am with the instructions for us lot to print them out for a 9am lecture.

what a joke. reckon from now on my time will be better spent just signing in for the lectures and then pissing off to the library.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 31, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

spwrozek posted:

So bad profs exist, it happens, get over it. If your program is big enough to have multiple people teach the same class start using ratemyprofessor.com (or whatever kids are using these days) and figure out who to take. I found that the guys who have 8 am or 4 pm lectures were awesome typically.

Get in a study group, go to TA hours, etc to get through this class and then figure out how to get with better profs.

Engineering school actually does matter. I am a structural engineer but I learned a poo poo ton in school that was directly applied at work. Yes I had books to look things up and such but you do use the stuff or at the very least need to know if the software is giving you even a remotely logical answer.

we don't have multiple lecturers to choose from. we have who we have and that's it. my 9am-1pm lectures are run by pretty awful guys. one is chinese and doesn't speak english well, the other is russian and also doesn't speak english well, on top of the fact he uploads lecture notes on the day for us to print out (which is a pain in the rear end) and also just reads off of the slides.

currently doing study group stuff with coursemates, but it doesn't feel like studying, so I've stopped going to them. basically it just ends up being all of us turning up, and the one or two really smart dudes doing the work and everyone else copying. figured i'm better off just revising by myself since i'll actually teach myself it.

Mr Newsman posted:

I encourage you to attend classes despite not feeling like you're getting anything out of them. 90% of the students I had when I was teaching that didn't regularly attend classes​ did poorly. They did terrible on assignments/tests. You'll learn very quickly that you likely overestimate your competence on certain things and are not adequately prepared.

this resonated with me. I will take this advice, cause it becomes apparent very quickly that I'm not as competent as I thought I was. at least being present during the lectures, I get a vague idea of what to expect, so I don't leave things til the last minute.

I miss my old uni, the lecturers were actually passionate, and it made the few lectures that were just information vomits a little bearable, cause I knew once I got through it, the next lecture would be back to their original interesting style.

totalnewbie posted:

If you find lectures where they just read slides boring, try asking some questions.

yeah i've learnt not to do that, you spend about 3 awkward minutes trying to get them to understand your question because they're not native english speakers.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I much prefer AutoCAD Inventor compared to Solidworks, but the university I'm at mainly focuses on Solidworks, and I absolutely despise it. The UI is less intuitive than Inventor, it frequently crashes, making a simple assembly takes 10x longer on Solidworks than on Inventor. With Inventor, I can quickly and easily dimension / add relationships / change on the fly.

Should I stick with Solidworks or can I change to Inventor and just do all my projects for uni on Inventor? AFAIK, uni doesn't care which program it's done on. The only issue would be with cross-compatibility, if I were to do a group project, all my team would have their stuff as Solidworks files.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Right, will learn to love Solidworks.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm really proud of this. It took me way longer than was necessary because I'm still learning my way around the UI, and there doesn't appear to be any keyboard shortcuts for stuff like dimensioning, snapping the camera and various other tools. Solidworks is also a fan of hiding things neatly away, whereas Inventor just sorta has it all in subcategories, so I spent a lot of time figuring out where the stuff I'm used to using was.

Basically, it's a robotic arm capable of picking up a coke can. It's not finished yet, but it has servo motors that control the arms and base (pretty much anywhere you see a metallic shaft, I'll be sticking a servo on that to apply torque), to allow it to rotate and move. It also has a little servo motor near where the grips are, to allow 360 degree rotation of the coke can. I'm trying to figure out a smart solution for the other gripper that will allow it to tighten and loosen on the can, cause I don't like the idea of sticking another servo on the side of the gripper head, but I think that's the only way I can do it.

I need to come up with 3 other concept designs, but I've seen a bunch of reports my friends have written, and they've used basic sketches and no one assembled it in Solidworks. So I'm just going to make basic changes to this one and try and eek out another 3 simple concepts from this main design. I figure I'll be alright since I'll have in depth drawings and exploded views and fully assembled views. So basic stuff like: changing the gripper head configuration, changing the arms to only consist of one, thicker piece of wood as opposed to two, and then change the rotating base (servo powered) to a gear based one.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

After I get my Masters in Mechanical Engineering, how long am I looking at to get a PhD? Is it a single year, or is it another 2 years or something? How does it even work, would I be a full-time student again, or would I be working my day job and studying in my free time to nab the PhD?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

CarForumPoster posted:

A friend that graduated at the end of 2012 with his bachelors in aero will complete his doctorate end of spring 2018

Yikes.

On the same sort of topic, what's the difference between an MEng and an MSc in Engineering, if I plan on doing one or the other in the UK and then studying abroad (America or Canada) for my PhD? My sponsors have told me getting an MEng is better than just getting a BEng, which is pretty self-explanatory. But is an MSc more prestigious or respected compared to an MEng? The only thing I can find on this is they both help you become an accredited engineer, but being a Chartered Engineer isn't really a thing over in the Middle East AFAIK, which is where I plan on working full-time once I graduate (my home country).

I just want to do what's best for me if I definitely plan on studying in the US or Canada for my PhD, but no one really seems to know whether it's best to do a BEng + MEng, or BEng and MSc.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 28, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Thanks a bunch, man. Recently hit me that I need to start taking care of my parents and sisters, and it's lit a fire under my rear end. loving pathetic that I faffed about when I was younger and wasted my time, now I'm 25 in my 2nd year of Engineering.

Will definitely speak to a careers advisor at uni and ask them too.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

What's the difference between a scheme drawing and a form drawing?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Not a Children posted:

Hope you don't mind being likely complicit in slave labor

this is dumb, whether he takes the job or not, the slave labour working conditions for those people are still going to take place. at least if he takes the job, he can go out of his way to treat those workers decently and make their days a little bit better. sure as hell would beat them ending up with some rear end in a top hat who doesn't give a poo poo about them.

speaking from personal experience, I'm from a middle eastern country, and it's god awful how horribly the asian workers are treat. I'm proud of the fact that my father always went out of his way to treat them with respect: he'd ensure they were out of the sun during the hottest parts of the day, talk to them and get to know them on a first name basis, bring them into the air conditioned trailers (or whatever those popup office buildings are), and not work them half to death. beats having a manager who snaps orders at you like you're nothing but an animal, and doesn't care one bit about your wellbeing or treating you with respect.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

it's childish to have a pragmatic view and realise awful poo poo takes place the world over, whether or not you inexplicitly aid in it's continuation? i don't see how working for a saudi arabian company supports the terrible working conditions the ethnic minority workforce already faces, seeing as boycotting it won't change a thing, whereas taking up a job offer over there at least gives you the chance to oversee a group of people and ensure their conditions are nowhere near as awful as what their colleagues face under different management. it's not saviour complex bullshit, and being called childish and shameful for stating that opinion makes me feel like human trash despite me just saying the equivalent of "be good to people"

Qubee
May 31, 2013

dxt posted:

"My dad let the slaves come out of the sun sometimes and even knew their names!"

thank you for taking something I said with genuine intention, and butchering it and turning it on it's head to make something I wrote innocently sound so hosed up. incredible. the core of my post was in no way, shape or form trying to hit the same notes as what you posted as a summary.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

not gonna lie, the posts have been weighing me down for the past few days (which is silly, it's the internet, who cares). was gonna just duck and let the entire thing die down, but I felt I should try and properly explain my point of view. I can see how my post came across like that. my dad is middle eastern, he works in the middle east, he'd be a fool not to work there (no work visa needed, he's with the arab side of his family, working in a country he grew up in etc etc.). he didn't explicitly choose the ME just to make fat stacks and exploit people. the one where my old man gets compared to a plantation owner was below the belt, and having my posts stripped down to "slavery is totally cool as long as you treat them well" propaganda doesn't feel that great. I plan on eventually working in the middle east to learn more about that part of my identity (culture wise, family wise, language wise), so this is all subconsciously what I've been telling myself.

I remember him bringing me to work when I was a kid, and that was what I based my post off of, albeit this memory is a little halcyonic so I might be a bit more sappy than usual, which gives the whole "master was good to the common folk" vibe. He's always told me how corrupt and hosed up things can be, and told me never to get into those pitfalls myself or become part of the lowest common denominator. I remember seeing how rudely the asian expats were treat by other arabs at work, and seeing the groups they oversaw sitting outside whilst it was swelteringly hot, or being snapped at like they were garbage. I remember walking into my dad's mobile office and seeing the guys he oversaw in the seating area, drinking tea and relaxing during their lunch break, and how friendly they were to my old man (and he was to them), but there'd still be guys outside as there's not an infinite amount of space. I'm not using this as some example of my dad being a paragon, I'm just saying you can work for industries that have little regard for humanity whilst still trying your best to add your own to the environment and just passing on what little good you can, without necessarily contributing to the negative aspects.

so to try and fix my previous posts: the jist of what I was trying to get across was that if you do have a job opportunity to work somewhere in the middle east, I don't personally understand why it would be some vulgar and abhorrent thing to accept. at least you'd be going over there and bringing a bit of kindness (I hope) along with you, instead of the position being filled by someone who may or may not. my point wasn't to take up a job like that and just mooch off of the corruption and how poorly asian expats can be treat. I don't know if I'm just digging the hole deeper at this point, but drat. I've tried my best to explain myself, I sure hope I don't get torn a new one or compared to a slaver again.

as an aside - pretty much every menial job is filled by asian expats over there. and the mindset most arabs have are pretty xenophobic, so lots of these workers get treat poorly, whether they're working in mcdonalds, or shops, the gas station, or even a well-paid position in a large corporation. does that mean I shouldn't get mcdonalds, or get my gas tank filled up, cause I'm contributing to it? or is it okay if I do these things, but at least treat the people working there with the respect they deserve, and at least walk away afterwards hoping I've made their day a tad bit better? is it a messiah complex to just wanna be good to as many people as you can?

Qubee fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 15, 2018

Qubee
May 31, 2013

what are the chances of me being accepted into an MEng / MSc degree if I graduate with a 2:1 (UK, so 60-69% average, ~3.7GPA) on my Bachelors? generic universities and then merit universities, as I imagine merit universities have much tougher entry requirements so they'd probably only take you on with a 1st (70%+ or a 4.0GPA), right?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

-wrong thread-

can I ask questions for help regarding ANSYS here, or is it only really for job related stuff?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

-no longer need help, problem sorted-

Qubee fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 26, 2018

Qubee
May 31, 2013

CarForumPoster posted:

hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can help as I dont have an answer.

Your fin concepts seem reasonable, thought I am not sure what a triangle fin would do for you as I'd think you want increasing surface area with distance, not decreasing.

Some obvious other design types are pin types, thicker or thinner heatsink fins, fins with combined evaporative cooling like heat pipes, different densities of fins, etc.

1) triangle fin is merely to see the effectiveness, I know the design doesn't make sense, but we were encouraged to try things out just to see how exactly it makes for a good / bad design (and I'm just desperately trying to fill my 8 design quota up)
2) I want to try making thinner and thicker fins, but - again - I keep running into the whole meshing problem.

thanks for the kind words though, I appreciate it.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 26, 2018

Qubee
May 31, 2013

If I've always had a passion for Biology, what are my options to steer my Mechanical Engineering degree towards something Biology related? My biggest worry is graduating and then working a job the rest of my life that I have zero interest or passion in. I don't enjoy my degree, and can't wait to get it over and done with, but the light at the end of my tunnel (and what gets me through this) is the hopes I can do my Masters in something Bio related to hopefully make it enjoyable, and then look forward to working in a field that interests me.

I'm in my final (3rd) year of my Bachelors, what steps can I take to help me move towards a Bio-focused Engineering degree. I was thinking Mechatronics / Biomechanical Engineering.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Heliosicle posted:

Is this still in the UK? Don't know what you mean by merit university. I think most would be fine with a 2:1 for master's intake but depends partly where it's from, and how well you can show you know your stuff.

Yeah it'll still be in the UK. I'm not entirely sure what merit university means, I just know my sponsors only sponsor to a "merit university", whatever that is. For my Masters application, would I have to sit some sort of interview / take a test to prove I have adequate knowledge? Cause I'll be honest, all the stuff I learned in 1st and 2nd year are lost to me. University doesn't really encourage understanding and passion, it's all just rote-learning and regurgitating for exams. Most of us cram for the exams and then a week or two after, we forget how to do the problems but can kind of recognise them.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Lawnie posted:

Biomaterials.

Material sciences really doesn't get me going, if I'm being honest. Only part of it I enjoyed was learning the science behind swordsmithing, and how the different temperatures create different material properties. The rest was a slog.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

How much flexibility does your program offer you in your final year to take engineering courses in related disciplines? Do you have a capstone project in your final year that can be interdisciplinary?

I'm not really sure, I guess I'll have to ask my tutor. We were given a whole host of capstone project titles, and the 5 I picked all related to biology in some way. The one I really wanted was nabbed by another student (it's randomized) and was about a gel structure scaffold that can be put into wounds to help healing. The one I ended up with was Finite Element Analysis of a jaw to see the masticatory forces involved during different types of biting. I'm hoping because of the project I picked, it'll help me segway into something engineering biology related.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Things like implants and prostheses.

You're also going to be a junior engineer fresh out of college. It's practically impossible to lock yourself into a field you won't be happy in unless you don't like engineering at all. Use this as an opportunity to reach out to professors in fields that interest you and see what they're working on. They love free labor and you get experience as well as something to put on your resume.

Really needed to hear this, thank you. Prostheses are definitely something I can see myself really enjoying, the biology of trying to replicate an arm or leg would be fascinating. My little cousin is diabetic, and she has an insulin pump that changed her life. I can see myself being passionate about pursuing something along those lines, trying to come up with medical devices that help people and give them quality of life. Prosthetics also sound really interesting because I'd feel like a knockoff Tony Stark, and studying the physiology of an arm / leg and trying to figure out how to replicate that with machinery would be fun. If I were somehow able to work in a hospital, that would be great. Even if it's behind closed doors. Spent a lot of time as a kid going in and out of hospital, I've just always felt I'd be happy working at one, no idea why. But I've never heard of engineers working in a hospital.

I never wanted to end up in engineering, I always wanted to do medicine, but life has a funny way of turning out, ended up doing engineering which is so much physics (my least favourite science subject).

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If you never wanted to end up in engineering then why are you studying it? Why not take up something that will actually make you happy? If medical school isn't an option consider nursing or being an EMT.

Felt pressured into going ahead with it. Was a dumb kid and flunked my exams, so I had to move back home with the parents and was away from all my friends / social life, which made me pretty miserable. I spent that year working my rear end off studying from home, to get a scholarship. I put medicine as my first choice, engineering as my second fallback plan. I got a 92% average in the exams, sponsors got back to me and told me I was 1% off from being accepted into medicine (which sucks, cause the very next year, entry requirements dropped by 10%) so I took engineering just so I could get into uni instead of spending another year doing nothing with my life. Also rushed into it because I was in a relationship at the time, and the thought of living away from home / being closer to her was a big reason for why I went ahead with engineering instead of retaking an exam and spending another year being away from her. Also thought it'd be cool following in my dad's footsteps, since he's an engineer.

And now I'm 4 years (foundation year + my 3 years in engineering) into it and there's no way out, cause sponsors have already shelled out heaps of tuition fees. If I bailed, I'd owe all that money back with nothing to show for it. So I just gotta sleep in the bed I made and hope for the best. Dumb, impatient choices I made biting me in the rear end. But who knows, could have nabbed my dream degree in med and been miserable doing that as well, highly unlikely but makes me feel less bitter about it all.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

This is the only place I can think to ask this: does anyone know how I'd go about solving this question -

I can't for the life of me figure it out.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Well the first thing you need to do is find out where on item the assignment is asking you to assess the forces. Typically in these cases it wants you to look at the wall of the tube, which is what I would assume is the case since that's what literally every one of these problems has always asked. There's a few things to consider:

1. Thin wall is the universal declaration of "you can approximate this wall as a 2D element for purposes of stress analysis" which is good because 3D Mohr's circle on a cylindrical shape is kind of not-fun.

2. There are three forces being applied to your wall. The first is the hoop stress associated with the pressure acting on the cylindrical component. The second is the axial stress provided by the same pressure acting on the ends. The third is the shear force associated with the torque.

So the first thing you'd want to do is draw a diagram showing how all the forces will interact on the structure, and how those stresses will act on a stress element. After that you'll want to calculate the stresses provided by each force. Conveniently enough Google is your friend here; the shear stress from torque on a cylinder can be found here, and the hoop and axial stresses can be found here. I suspect unless you're doing this problem for fun there's also examples of these equations in your textbook and lecture notes.

Once you've figured out the hoop, axial, and shear stresses on the element you can use Mohr's circle to calculate the principal and maximum shear stresses. I suspect your textbook also has an explanation on direct stresses in thin walled cylinders. I found this blurb online but it's basically saying the same thing about hoop and axial stress.

You're a lifesaver and I really appreciate you taking time out of your day to help a stranger on the internet. This has 100% helped me wrap my head around this problem and I think I'll be able to manage it now no problem.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

What's the workload like between a 2 year Master's and the final year of your Bachelor's? Because I am dying beneath the workload currently in my final year, and it's genuinely putting me off even considering pursuing a Master's.

A friend of mine who just finished his Master's said the workload was definitely way less than what he experienced in his Bachelor's, but I am sort of sceptical.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Thank you very much, I was dreading the thought of signing up to a two year MS and hating it as much as I'm hating my last semester of my BS. I'm hoping the work / life balance in the MS is way more manageable than it is in my BS. I'm swamped with thesis work, assignments, revision for exams, legit no social life whatsoever.

You've given me a light at the end of the tunnel (and this isn't the first time you've helped me out, thank you).

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Solidworks question incoming:

Have this really awful quality png, but I need a much higher quality version of this. I'm trying to import it into CAD software to sketch / autotrace it as an emblem, but the png has way too many artifacts and the software can't accurately trace the design. I've tried manually drawing it in by tracing it by hand with splines, but it's not as neat as I was hoping.

Does anyone know how I can create a higher quality / resolution / vector version of this image that's really sharp and clean that allows Solidworks to accurately trace it? Or are there better methods to import this into Solidworks to turn it into a debossed emblem on my design?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Thanks, I'll give that a go!

This is what I managed to replicate by hand with splines, but as you can see, it's a bit wonky and not as clean as I'd like. Will give your advice a go and hopefully it turns out nicer.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 18, 2019

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm graduating this July with the hopes of studying my Master's abroad, but will be going in for the Winter (January) student intake. If I apply for jobs now as a Bachelor, how does the whole employment thing work with regards to me knowing I'm going to be leaving in <6 months. I just need something that keeps me afloat this Summer finances-wise, and the added benefit of having work experience to put on my CV doesn't hurt. Only issue is, I don't know what kind of contract you get roped into in the UK: would I be legally obligated to stay on as an employee for however long the company demands, or could I put in a two week notice despite still being in my training months?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Murgos posted:

If it were me, I would probably only do 4-5 months and then go fart around the European hostel scene for a month or two.

Yeah I'm going to look at internships. What's this hostel scene you're talking about?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Nohearum, getting PMs is worth it for Beer4TheBeerGod's PM alone (not to mention CarForumPoster too). Can personally vouch that his PMs are absolute gold-dust and crammed with useful information. He goes above and beyond what any forum poster should do to help out.

PS: seeing you lot band together to help out another engineer is genuinely heartwarming.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've been applying for graduate jobs since September (when I graduated). I've had no luck whatsoever. The only interest from recruiting agencies I seem to get is for engineering sales positions, which I'm not interested in. I have absolutely zero work experience on my CV, and I feel this is probably turning away a lot of prospective employees. What can I do to increase my chances of nabbing a job? I was thinking of stepping down a notch, so I'd be applying to trainee or technician roles instead of graduate mechanical engineering positions. I figured if I'm overqualified, they'd rather employ me on £18,000 a year, instead of the £23-25,000 a year a graduate mechanical engineer typically earns in the area.

I'm completely stumped and feel like I'm not making any progress. I'm not even given the chance to interview. I'm attending a job fair on the 15th of January to hopefully network and see potential employers. I'll also approach smaller businesses rather than the huge multinational businesses, as I feel competition for these is too high. I know now that I royally hosed myself in uni by not taking summer placements or actively participating in leadership roles in clubs and societies. I just figured I'd head straight back to the Middle East after graduation, where I have family connections, and nepotism - unfortunately - is rife. But I changed plans after graduating and decided to stick around in the UK. It's definitely biting me in the rear end. A 26 year old graduate with zero experience.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Dec 3, 2019

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I definitely feel like if I at least managed to get my foot in the door and attend an interview, I'd dispel a lot of these worries. Doesn't help I have a middle eastern name, so I doubt that's working in my favour.

- I'll start doing some projects to throw on my CV. What are some affordable projects I can do? I've done some basic woodwork in the past, but I'm not sure if building cabinets and tables is something to proudly put on my CV.
- I've tried internships but there doesn't seem to be any going at the moment, they're all typically during the Summer
- Would Engineers Without Borders require me to travel, or is it an organization that just helps you keep in the loop with job opportunities / volunteering work etc? I'm sort of locked in my current city as I'm taking my gf to work and back every day
- The UK doesn't really have many maker spaces that aren't part of universities, so I'm not sure I'd be able to get a job at one
- I've been searching Google maps for small family run businesses, I'll start calling and enquiring about vacancies
- I'll admit I've been blanket sending my generic CV instead of tailoring it to each role, but I spoke to a careers advisor and they definitely recommended I personalize each application and look at the job requirements and try and fit in skills that are used
- I figured if I nab a technician job, I'd either try and rise through the ranks internally or jump ship as soon as a better job came along

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The Chairman posted:

Most companies generally have technicians and engineers on separate tracks. If you start as an entry-level tech, your only promotion path will be to eventually become a senior technician, not an engineer, even if you've got an engineering education and credentials.

In that case, jumping ship ASAP it is.

Corla Plankun posted:

How many applications have you sent out?

Since graduating in September, I've probably sent out around 50 applications, though it may be higher, I've not kept solid count. About 5-10 of them were for roles I knew I'd never get ("minimum one years experience required" etc), all the others were either graduate roles or roles that required no experience. I've slowly dwindled through my savings and I've got until end of January, and then I'll officially be broke. So I'm going to be working as a cashier / stocker / whatever low level entry job I can get just so I can pay my half of the bills and not be a burden on my partner. I didn't realise job hunting was this brutal, if I'd have known, I would have gotten a job doing anything right out of uni. I'm hoping this job fair in January helps out, or at least lets me network and see what's what. And I'm also applying to Spring graduate schemes, but they're so rare.

Applications are definitely difficult because 1) they need to be in or around my city and 2) not be a horrendous commute. So there's quite a few jobs north side but I just can't do them because it's 1 to 1 1/2 hour commute driving, and taking a train is even longer. If I had the ability to relocate, I'd be able to apply everywhere and just move to my job.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I moved to this city with my girlfriend cause she had a guaranteed job offer. She's been working there for 6 months now and really enjoys it. We've got another 6 months on the lease, so I physically can't relocate. We were naive graduates who thought "Engineering? Everyone needs one of those, you'll find a job right out of uni" but now she's got crushing guilt cause she feels like I got hosed over in this fresh start, but I'm chill with it. My original plan was to head back to the Middle East after graduating and just coast by on my old man's connections who was in the engineering sector for 30 odd years, which is why I hosed about and didn't bother adding experience during uni or anything. To add to the monumental fuckup that is this fresh start, I am planning on starting my Masters in September and that will entail moving country or city, and that's another thing that's set in stone and can't be changed.

As for 50 jobs a week, I'm not seeing more than 2 or 3 new opportunities cropping up across all the websites I use per week. Everything else has a big fat "Applied" button on it cause I've been there, done that, gotten rejected. Should I just work as a cashier or something for the next 6 months?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

On it. Getting a job anywhere ASAP. Will even build a new desk on the cheap just to have something to talk about if it ever cropped up in interview, I'll phrase it as "extensive woodworking experience and personal project management" or something. And yeah, my CV was checked by a careers advisor. At first, she was brutally honest and said it sucked. But then reality hit and she realised I've got zero work experience. After assuring her that no, I've never worked anywhere, she then appreciated why I was putting usually pointless information about modules I've done and poo poo, and said I was making the best of what I had lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Yeah it was a big internal debate I had. On the one hand, I want a decent reference as I plan on using this work experience for my university applications and future jobs. On the other, I know mentioning my plans to dip out in August would be suicidal and hamstring any possibility of getting hired. So I decided I'll just leave off the reference and tell my employer that I need to go back to the Middle East for a family emergency or something when the time comes. The entire situation is fucky and I should definitely have put more thought into this than "gently caress yeah let's move to a different city it'll all be great".

I naively thought I'd get a year's worth of work in before I had to dip, and hoped leaving after a year wouldn't be too damaging with my employer. But now I realise 6 months is just wasting their time and resources, as that's about the time I'd have settled into my role and actually started doing beneficial work. I personally wouldn't mind not pursuing a masters and just stick to the career path, but I've got a year's window from graduating to get on another scholarship before those doors are closed, and I can't pass on the opportunity to get through uni on a sponsor's expense. Especially considering the fact I graduated from a well-known dogshit university which I was hoping to sweep under the rug with a masters certificate from a slightly more reputable university.