Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

-wrong thread-

can I ask questions for help regarding ANSYS here, or is it only really for job related stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Qubee posted:

-wrong thread-

can I ask questions for help regarding ANSYS here, or is it only really for job related stuff?

Sure, though there arent a ton of mechanicals and my knowledge is limited to Workbench Mechanical. Havent seen any HFSS/EM FEM/FD people in here.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

-no longer need help, problem sorted-

Qubee fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 26, 2018

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can help as I dont have an answer.

Your fin concepts seem reasonable, thought I am not sure what a triangle fin would do for you as I'd think you want increasing surface area with distance, not decreasing.

Some obvious other design types are pin types, thicker or thinner heatsink fins, fins with combined evaporative cooling like heat pipes, different densities of fins, etc.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

CarForumPoster posted:

hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can help as I dont have an answer.

Your fin concepts seem reasonable, thought I am not sure what a triangle fin would do for you as I'd think you want increasing surface area with distance, not decreasing.

Some obvious other design types are pin types, thicker or thinner heatsink fins, fins with combined evaporative cooling like heat pipes, different densities of fins, etc.

1) triangle fin is merely to see the effectiveness, I know the design doesn't make sense, but we were encouraged to try things out just to see how exactly it makes for a good / bad design (and I'm just desperately trying to fill my 8 design quota up)
2) I want to try making thinner and thicker fins, but - again - I keep running into the whole meshing problem.

thanks for the kind words though, I appreciate it.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 26, 2018

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

spwrozek posted:

I would never hire a CET for an engineering position. I probably wouldn't vouch for a CET to sit for the PE either. But that is just me as a manager of an engineering group.

I guess I don't see what the CET degree really gets you.

Hello Sailor posted:

What about an environmental engineering degree? More of your coursework would probably be transferrable for it and there's a lot of overlap with civil anyway.

From what I've seen, engineering tech degrees stop at or before calc 1 for math requirements, while engineering degrees require calc 3 and differential equations. You can knock those courses (and possibly more) out by taking night courses at a local community college while you work your current job, which will reduce your tuition costs and let you sock away more cash to offset your student loans.

e: Just be sure to confirm with the university you'll be attending that the community college courses will transfer.

Not a Children posted:

To pile on, engineering tech degrees are not seen as "real" engineering degrees by most state licensing authorities. In terms of job opportunities, experience will trump that degree every time -- it'd honestly be a waste of your time and money.

An engineering degree, on the other hand, would be well worth it if you consider getting the PE ASAP that important. You should see if any of your old coursework transfers. On the other hand, most states have an experience-only option (12 years here, with some partial credit given toward postsecondary schooling), which honestly may very well be your most economical way forward.

I have a BSMET (2007) and there is definitely a stigma against the engineering tech degrees.

I think there's a fairly wide spread of engineering tech degrees across the country whereas engineering degrees are more uniform. I've had people assume any tech degree is only an associates, drastically lower math requirements, etc.

My school required calc 1 (differentials), calc 2 (integrals) and differential equations. At my college the primary differences between the degrees were that the MET took some hands on classes, had to physically build something for a senior design project (along with the paper) but while I did take the calculus courses I almost never had to use calculus in my core classes, in mechanics of materials, dynamics, etc. it was almost always presented as algebraic formulas to plug and chug with and very little required calculus needed on homework/tests.

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Dec 1, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Molybdenum posted:

I have a BSMET (2007) and there is definitely a stigma against the engineering tech degrees.

I think there's a fairly wide spread of engineering tech degrees across the country whereas engineering degrees are more uniform. I've had people assume any tech degree is only an associates, drastically lower math requirements, etc.

My school required calc 1 (differentials), calc 2 (integrals) and differential equations. At my college the primary differences between the degrees were that the MET took some hands on classes, had to physically build something for a senior design project (along with the paper) but while I did take the calculus courses I almost never had to use calculus in my core classes, in mechanics of materials, dynamics, etc. it was almost always presented as algebraic formulas to plug and chug with and very little required calculus needed on homework/tests.

I have a BS and MS in ME. Very few of my classes actually required the use of calculus. I had a few senior and graduate level mechanics courses that needed it, and I vaguely recall my controls and vibrations class using it but I shut that stuff out of my brain as soon as I could. In my professional career (engineering research and development) I use calculus even less, let alone differential equations. The same thing seems to be the case as I pursue a MS and PhD in material science and engineering. Aside from a rather brutal engineering analysis class I haven't used much advanced math.

I didn't even know "engineering technology" was a degree until this thread. Looking things over, and Molybdenum this is not a slight on you, but I don't think it's a good idea to pursue one if a BS in engineering is available. IMO the whole point of college for engineers is to demonstrate that you have the talents and willpower to survive college. A BS in engineering is basically a piece of paper that says you probably can learn the skills and knowledge to perform engineering work in your particular field. A technology degree doesn't necessarily convey that, especially if you have to explain that it's not a 2 year associates degree or that you took engineering courses.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
At this point in my career I agree with you, based on the stigma alone.

My program was a pretty well known (in the region at least) co-op program so by the time I graduated I was able to point at roughly 2.5 years of engineering grunt work during interviews which helped a lot.

I'm in a position where I can work slowly on a second bachelor's or masters degree for very little money and I'm about to finish up the first exploratory class (do I have the time in the week to do it?) but still waffling on what to ultimately pursue.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Molybdenum posted:

At this point in my career I agree with you, based on the stigma alone.

My program was a pretty well known (in the region at least) co-op program so by the time I graduated I was able to point at roughly 2.5 years of engineering grunt work during interviews which helped a lot.

I'm in a position where I can work slowly on a second bachelor's or masters degree for very little money and I'm about to finish up the first exploratory class (do I have the time in the week to do it?) but still waffling on what to ultimately pursue.

What are you interested in? I chose to do graduate work in materials engineering because it dovetails well with my field. I think you're better off getting a Master's degree unless a BS is required.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

paternity suitor posted:

I get where you're coming from, but most satellites aren't "weapons related", even though they are designed and manufactured by defense contractors. I worked on a bunch commercial comm satellites over the years, but that work was done at a defense contractor. I also worked with NASA/NOAA on a weather/sensing satellite at the same defense contractor; if you worked at NASA you would probably be dealing with the all kinds of defense companies. I'm not sure what separates a company like SpaceX from the satellite division of someone like Boeing or Lockheed tbh, other than "image"

Maybe this is off-topic for the thread. What fraction of satellites do you think are not defense related? Also, can you really know if they are not defense related?

The reason why I ask these questions is for the following reason: I once watched a talk on YouTube given by a guy about the history of Silicon Valley where he claimed that the Big Dish near Stanford University, ostensibly built for the purpose of radio astronomy, was actually used by the US intelligence community to spy on the Russians. Once a month, when the Moon was in the right position relative to the Earth, government agents would interrupt the researchers for a while and borrow the Dish to point it at the Moon to receive radio transmissions generated from the USSR which were otherwise inaccessible due to the USSR being on the other side of the globe.

Apparently, the US government had taken a very big interest in 'radio astronomy' during the height of the Cold War, and had funded the construction of many radio telescopes, not just at Stanford University, but all over the US. Do you believe that?

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 1, 2018

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What are you interested in? I chose to do graduate work in materials engineering because it dovetails well with my field. I think you're better off getting a Master's degree unless a BS is required.

I'd do a masters to push my professional prospects higher, or a bachelor's as a more laid back hobby. Dollar-wise it works out to about $300 per class and I'm only ever going to take one class a semester.

masters: materials, mechanical or an MBA

BS: maybe an EE, ChemE or just straight math or physics.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

If I've always had a passion for Biology, what are my options to steer my Mechanical Engineering degree towards something Biology related? My biggest worry is graduating and then working a job the rest of my life that I have zero interest or passion in. I don't enjoy my degree, and can't wait to get it over and done with, but the light at the end of my tunnel (and what gets me through this) is the hopes I can do my Masters in something Bio related to hopefully make it enjoyable, and then look forward to working in a field that interests me.

I'm in my final (3rd) year of my Bachelors, what steps can I take to help me move towards a Bio-focused Engineering degree. I was thinking Mechatronics / Biomechanical Engineering.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Heliosicle posted:

Is this still in the UK? Don't know what you mean by merit university. I think most would be fine with a 2:1 for master's intake but depends partly where it's from, and how well you can show you know your stuff.

Yeah it'll still be in the UK. I'm not entirely sure what merit university means, I just know my sponsors only sponsor to a "merit university", whatever that is. For my Masters application, would I have to sit some sort of interview / take a test to prove I have adequate knowledge? Cause I'll be honest, all the stuff I learned in 1st and 2nd year are lost to me. University doesn't really encourage understanding and passion, it's all just rote-learning and regurgitating for exams. Most of us cram for the exams and then a week or two after, we forget how to do the problems but can kind of recognise them.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Biomaterials.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Qubee posted:

I'm in my final (3rd) year of my Bachelors, what steps can I take to help me move towards a Bio-focused Engineering degree.
How much flexibility does your program offer you in your final year to take engineering courses in related disciplines? Do you have a capstone project in your final year that can be interdisciplinary?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Lawnie posted:

Biomaterials.

Material sciences really doesn't get me going, if I'm being honest. Only part of it I enjoyed was learning the science behind swordsmithing, and how the different temperatures create different material properties. The rest was a slog.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

How much flexibility does your program offer you in your final year to take engineering courses in related disciplines? Do you have a capstone project in your final year that can be interdisciplinary?

I'm not really sure, I guess I'll have to ask my tutor. We were given a whole host of capstone project titles, and the 5 I picked all related to biology in some way. The one I really wanted was nabbed by another student (it's randomized) and was about a gel structure scaffold that can be put into wounds to help healing. The one I ended up with was Finite Element Analysis of a jaw to see the masticatory forces involved during different types of biting. I'm hoping because of the project I picked, it'll help me segway into something engineering biology related.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Molybdenum posted:

I'd do a masters to push my professional prospects higher, or a bachelor's as a more laid back hobby. Dollar-wise it works out to about $300 per class and I'm only ever going to take one class a semester.

If someone had an MBA and a BSXET degree Id say man this is a person who does not do great with school. Don't get an MBA unless you want a job that is absolutely asking for it like Project/Program Manager or something.

If you want to overcome the BSXET stigma, you need a technical masters. The easiest of which is probably Systems Engineering (this is what I did, and I really am glad I did Sys Eng, its been very helpful at my startup). If you want to really totally overcome it in the snobby world of big company engineering, a materials, mechanical, aerospace, etc. are all great choices.

silence_kit posted:

Maybe this is off-topic for the thread. What fraction of satellites do you think are not defense related? Also, can you really know if they are not defense related?

The reason why I ask these questions is for the following reason: I once watched a talk on YouTube given by a guy about the history of Silicon Valley where he claimed that the Big Dish near Stanford University, ostensibly built for the purpose of radio astronomy, was actually used by the US intelligence community to spy on the Russians. Once a month, when the Moon was in the right position relative to the Earth, government agents would interrupt the researchers for a while and borrow the Dish to point it at the Moon to receive radio transmissions generated from the USSR which were otherwise inaccessible due to the USSR being on the other side of the globe.

Apparently, the US government had taken a very big interest in 'radio astronomy' during the height of the Cold War, and had funded the construction of many radio telescopes, not just at Stanford University, but all over the US. Do you believe that?

You seem to have a real fucky definition of weapons or defense related. Based on the somewhat uninformed stigma you seem to associate with them, I'd suggest you do not join any defense companies, which sadly means very limited radiated heat transfer of electronics work. Heres a list of the top 100 contractor, the excel file has one for the DoD. https://www.fpds.gov/fpdsng_cms/index.php/en/reports

Some highlights from the DoD:
A bunch of health care providers are in the top 20.
HP got ~$800M from the government in 2017. Theyre on the list twice.
Verizon got $426M
MIT got $1B.
Johns Hopkins got $783M
GE got $2.3B
Fedex got $594M
Cisco got $257M

SRI International, inventors of the Mouse, is DARPA's 15th largest.

Verizon is #1, Cisco is #4, and AT&T is #6, VIASAT is #26, for the Defense Information Agency.

Would you work on a Verizon/AT&T satellite? They're one of the biggest defense contractors for spying operations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Qubee posted:

If I've always had a passion for Biology, what are my options to steer my Mechanical Engineering degree towards something Biology related? My biggest worry is graduating and then working a job the rest of my life that I have zero interest or passion in. I don't enjoy my degree, and can't wait to get it over and done with, but the light at the end of my tunnel (and what gets me through this) is the hopes I can do my Masters in something Bio related to hopefully make it enjoyable, and then look forward to working in a field that interests me.

I'm in my final (3rd) year of my Bachelors, what steps can I take to help me move towards a Bio-focused Engineering degree. I was thinking Mechatronics / Biomechanical Engineering.

Biomaterials are one option. There's also a lot of interest in metal additive manufacturing for medical devices. Things like implants and prostheses.

You're also going to be a junior engineer fresh out of college. It's practically impossible to lock yourself into a field you won't be happy in unless you don't like engineering at all. Use this as an opportunity to reach out to professors in fields that interest you and see what they're working on. They love free labor and you get experience as well as something to put on your resume.

Molybdenum posted:

I think you're better off getting a Master's. It's still taking classes and the professional bonus is great. If you like engineering then go for ME or MS.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Qubee posted:

I'm not really sure, I guess I'll have to ask my tutor. We were given a whole host of capstone project titles, and the 5 I picked all related to biology in some way. The one I really wanted was nabbed by another student (it's randomized) and was about a gel structure scaffold that can be put into wounds to help healing. The one I ended up with was Finite Element Analysis of a jaw to see the masticatory forces involved during different types of biting. I'm hoping because of the project I picked, it'll help me segway into something engineering biology related.

What do you see yourself doing?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Things like implants and prostheses.

You're also going to be a junior engineer fresh out of college. It's practically impossible to lock yourself into a field you won't be happy in unless you don't like engineering at all. Use this as an opportunity to reach out to professors in fields that interest you and see what they're working on. They love free labor and you get experience as well as something to put on your resume.

Really needed to hear this, thank you. Prostheses are definitely something I can see myself really enjoying, the biology of trying to replicate an arm or leg would be fascinating. My little cousin is diabetic, and she has an insulin pump that changed her life. I can see myself being passionate about pursuing something along those lines, trying to come up with medical devices that help people and give them quality of life. Prosthetics also sound really interesting because I'd feel like a knockoff Tony Stark, and studying the physiology of an arm / leg and trying to figure out how to replicate that with machinery would be fun. If I were somehow able to work in a hospital, that would be great. Even if it's behind closed doors. Spent a lot of time as a kid going in and out of hospital, I've just always felt I'd be happy working at one, no idea why. But I've never heard of engineers working in a hospital.

I never wanted to end up in engineering, I always wanted to do medicine, but life has a funny way of turning out, ended up doing engineering which is so much physics (my least favourite science subject).

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

CarForumPoster posted:

You seem to have a real fucky definition of weapons or defense related. Based on the somewhat uninformed stigma you seem to associate with them

? I'm not necessarily ideologically opposed to the actions of the US Defense industry. I think you are confusing me with another poster.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

CarForumPoster posted:

You seem to have a real fucky definition of weapons or defense related. Based on the somewhat uninformed stigma you seem to associate with them, I'd suggest you do not join any defense companies, which sadly means very limited radiated heat transfer of electronics work. Heres a list of the top 100 contractor, the excel file has one for the DoD. https://www.fpds.gov/fpdsng_cms/index.php/en/reports

Some highlights from the DoD:
A bunch of health care providers are in the top 20.
HP got ~$800M from the government in 2017. Theyre on the list twice.
Verizon got $426M
MIT got $1B.
Johns Hopkins got $783M
GE got $2.3B
Fedex got $594M
Cisco got $257M

SRI International, inventors of the Mouse, is DARPA's 15th largest.

Verizon is #1, Cisco is #4, and AT&T is #6, VIASAT is #26, for the Defense Information Agency.

Would you work on a Verizon/AT&T satellite? They're one of the biggest defense contractors for spying operations.
Sounds like you meant this post for me. And no, all else being equal I’d probably rather not work for Verizon or AT&T either.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Ah my bad silence_kit.

bawfuls posted:

Sounds like you meant this post for me. And no, all else being equal I’d probably rather not work for Verizon or AT&T either.

In that case there are no satellites you can work on and most publicly traded technology companies do something with the DoD in some form.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Qubee posted:

Really needed to hear this, thank you. Prostheses are definitely something I can see myself really enjoying, the biology of trying to replicate an arm or leg would be fascinating. My little cousin is diabetic, and she has an insulin pump that changed her life. I can see myself being passionate about pursuing something along those lines, trying to come up with medical devices that help people and give them quality of life. Prosthetics also sound really interesting because I'd feel like a knockoff Tony Stark, and studying the physiology of an arm / leg and trying to figure out how to replicate that with machinery would be fun. If I were somehow able to work in a hospital, that would be great. Even if it's behind closed doors. Spent a lot of time as a kid going in and out of hospital, I've just always felt I'd be happy working at one, no idea why. But I've never heard of engineers working in a hospital.

I never wanted to end up in engineering, I always wanted to do medicine, but life has a funny way of turning out, ended up doing engineering which is so much physics (my least favourite science subject).

If you never wanted to end up in engineering then why are you studying it? Why not take up something that will actually make you happy? If medical school isn't an option consider nursing or being an EMT.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

silence_kit posted:

Well sure, if the US government is funding something, you might assume it can be used for defense purposes. The history of technology is driven by governments spending money on defense. The same technology that allows a satellite to sense tsunamis and earthquakes can be used to find things to blow up with bombs. If you're working on a classified government program you might not know the end use, that's true - but if you're working on a classified government program, just assume it's defense related. GPS exists because the Air Force funds it. Most of the major technology we use today exists because the government funded it.

However, if you're on a commercial program, you'll know what its use is. It's almost literally impossible to picture how or why the US government would hijack a commercial satellite carrying a payload to broadcast TV, radio or internet. Dropouts are millions of dollars a minute; why is a private company giving the government access to their satellite for any of that time? And to do what? What's the benefit to doing that vs. just having a classified program? If that's even possible because the spectrum is highly regulated. Every gram of a payload is accounted for. How is anything else being snuck on? It can't be done. I don't know how you're picturing satellite manufacturing but it's actually very open within the company making it. You can go into your CM system and pull every document up to the spacecraft level.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If you never wanted to end up in engineering then why are you studying it? Why not take up something that will actually make you happy? If medical school isn't an option consider nursing or being an EMT.

Felt pressured into going ahead with it. Was a dumb kid and flunked my exams, so I had to move back home with the parents and was away from all my friends / social life, which made me pretty miserable. I spent that year working my rear end off studying from home, to get a scholarship. I put medicine as my first choice, engineering as my second fallback plan. I got a 92% average in the exams, sponsors got back to me and told me I was 1% off from being accepted into medicine (which sucks, cause the very next year, entry requirements dropped by 10%) so I took engineering just so I could get into uni instead of spending another year doing nothing with my life. Also rushed into it because I was in a relationship at the time, and the thought of living away from home / being closer to her was a big reason for why I went ahead with engineering instead of retaking an exam and spending another year being away from her. Also thought it'd be cool following in my dad's footsteps, since he's an engineer.

And now I'm 4 years (foundation year + my 3 years in engineering) into it and there's no way out, cause sponsors have already shelled out heaps of tuition fees. If I bailed, I'd owe all that money back with nothing to show for it. So I just gotta sleep in the bed I made and hope for the best. Dumb, impatient choices I made biting me in the rear end. But who knows, could have nabbed my dream degree in med and been miserable doing that as well, highly unlikely but makes me feel less bitter about it all.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Qubee posted:

Felt pressured into going ahead with it. Was a dumb kid and flunked my exams, so I had to move back home with the parents and was away from all my friends / social life, which made me pretty miserable. I spent that year working my rear end off studying from home, to get a scholarship. I put medicine as my first choice, engineering as my second fallback plan. I got a 92% average in the exams, sponsors got back to me and told me I was 1% off from being accepted into medicine (which sucks, cause the very next year, entry requirements dropped by 10%) so I took engineering just so I could get into uni instead of spending another year doing nothing with my life. Also rushed into it because I was in a relationship at the time, and the thought of living away from home / being closer to her was a big reason for why I went ahead with engineering instead of retaking an exam and spending another year being away from her. Also thought it'd be cool following in my dad's footsteps, since he's an engineer.

And now I'm 4 years (foundation year + my 3 years in engineering) into it and there's no way out, cause sponsors have already shelled out heaps of tuition fees. If I bailed, I'd owe all that money back with nothing to show for it. So I just gotta sleep in the bed I made and hope for the best. Dumb, impatient choices I made biting me in the rear end. But who knows, could have nabbed my dream degree in med and been miserable doing that as well, highly unlikely but makes me feel less bitter about it all.

So get a biomed masters and then an MD? There should be plenty of opportunity to go that route, especially if your bachelor’s is already paid for.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Qubee posted:

Sounds like your best option is to get the degree and then dive into the medical field. Build a surgical robot or something. There are ton of opportunities in the medical device industry.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Qubee posted:

But who knows, could have nabbed my dream degree in med and been miserable doing that as well, highly unlikely but makes me feel less bitter about it all.

I happen to know/hang out with a fair number of MD because my partner is an MD and about half of them have undergrads in bio med, electrical or mechanical engineering. I can assure you its miserable but post residency life can be cool for a lot of them, depending on goals. Biomedical is a very hot area of silicon valley investment so you could stay engineering or go medical.

paternity suitor posted:

However, if you're on a commercial program, you'll know what its use is.

This may or may not be true. There are plenty of suppliers I've seen working on an unclassified R&D or commercial program that aren't and just don't know it.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

CarForumPoster posted:

This may or may not be true. There are plenty of suppliers I've seen working on an unclassified R&D or commercial program that aren't and just don't know it.

We do engineering research and prototype development mostly for gov't but we have a number of corporate customers. They can be as bad as the three letter agency's when it comes to secrecy and requirements to protect even knowledge that they are looking in a certain direction from being revealed.

SCIFs, access controlled documents, sequestered networks, only referring to the project and customer by code names, the whole nine yards.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Frankston posted:

Hi friends. I'm in my last year of studying mechanical engineering and I've been asked to attend an assessment centre for a job that involves nuclear applications. Being a mechanical engineering student my experience with anything nuclear has pretty much been non-existent in my studies. What kind of basic topics would you guys recommend I swot up on so I don't make an rear end of myself?

Update (not that anyone cares but I'm buzzing): I got the job! Five years of studying seems to have finally paid off.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Frankston posted:

Update (not that anyone cares but I'm buzzing): I got the job! Five years of studying seems to have finally paid off.

Nice! Have fun.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
Question for the thread...
for those of you who have stuck with a single employer for a long time, what made you decide to do that?

Golden Hand Cuffs?
Things were "good enough"?

I've been with my current employer for a while now.
(Almost 9 years at different places in different roles with different people Generally moving every 2 years.)

I kind of feel its time to move on and settle somewhere...

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I've been at the same place for a little over 5 years now which is my longest stretch anywhere and it's a combination of a few things:

1) Good manager
2) Good team
3) Good upwards advancement
4) Interesting tech with a long roadmap of interesting new products to come
5) Stable division, we're making good money
6) Tons of new things to learn/ideas to implement
7) Short commute
8) Have kids now, makes it harder to change things up drastically what with schedules etc

Having said that, we were acquired not long ago and the new parent co are kind of tightwads. This situation could change quickly if they screw with us too much and people start leaving, we stop getting raises, have to beg for equipment, etc etc.

Always do what is in YOUR best interest though, as the company's interests are not the same as yours.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I started with my job right out of college, and I've been there for twelve years. The work is very interesting, there's a lot of opportunity for upward advancement, they're aggressively supporting my continuing education, I've established a ton of roots in the area, and the benefits are very good. My management and team are also really, really good people and as corny as it sounds I really do feel like I'm working on things that are important and meaningful.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Senor P. posted:

for those of you who have stuck with a single employer for a long time, what made you decide to do that?

Golden Hand Cuffs?

(Almost 9 years at different places in different roles with different people Generally moving every 2 years.)

My commute is 5 minutes and I can set my own hours.

I travel a lot, which is both good and bad.

Lately I've come to appreciate how much OTJ training I get when I'm in the field with some people.

I like where I live. I get paid enough for my wife and I to make it okay on my salary.

I like my in-office coworkers. Our manager is not in-office. We're basically functional coop anarchists in here, everyone's equal and we all wanna make our lives better.

Everything to do with managers and overarching corporate structure is the reason I eyeball other opportunities, cause otherwise the perks are fantastic.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

This is the only place I can think to ask this: does anyone know how I'd go about solving this question -

I can't for the life of me figure it out.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Qubee posted:

This is the only place I can think to ask this: does anyone know how I'd go about solving this question -

I can't for the life of me figure it out.

Well the first thing you need to do is find out where on item the assignment is asking you to assess the forces. Typically in these cases it wants you to look at the wall of the tube, which is what I would assume is the case since that's what literally every one of these problems has always asked. There's a few things to consider:

1. Thin wall is the universal declaration of "you can approximate this wall as a 2D element for purposes of stress analysis" which is good because 3D Mohr's circle on a cylindrical shape is kind of not-fun.

2. There are three forces being applied to your wall. The first is the hoop stress associated with the pressure acting on the cylindrical component. The second is the axial stress provided by the same pressure acting on the ends. The third is the shear force associated with the torque.

So the first thing you'd want to do is draw a diagram showing how all the forces will interact on the structure, and how those stresses will act on a stress element. After that you'll want to calculate the stresses provided by each force. Conveniently enough Google is your friend here; the shear stress from torque on a cylinder can be found here, and the hoop and axial stresses can be found here. I suspect unless you're doing this problem for fun there's also examples of these equations in your textbook and lecture notes.

Once you've figured out the hoop, axial, and shear stresses on the element you can use Mohr's circle to calculate the principal and maximum shear stresses. I suspect your textbook also has an explanation on direct stresses in thin walled cylinders. I found this blurb online but it's basically saying the same thing about hoop and axial stress.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Well the first thing you need to do is find out where on item the assignment is asking you to assess the forces. Typically in these cases it wants you to look at the wall of the tube, which is what I would assume is the case since that's what literally every one of these problems has always asked. There's a few things to consider:

1. Thin wall is the universal declaration of "you can approximate this wall as a 2D element for purposes of stress analysis" which is good because 3D Mohr's circle on a cylindrical shape is kind of not-fun.

2. There are three forces being applied to your wall. The first is the hoop stress associated with the pressure acting on the cylindrical component. The second is the axial stress provided by the same pressure acting on the ends. The third is the shear force associated with the torque.

So the first thing you'd want to do is draw a diagram showing how all the forces will interact on the structure, and how those stresses will act on a stress element. After that you'll want to calculate the stresses provided by each force. Conveniently enough Google is your friend here; the shear stress from torque on a cylinder can be found here, and the hoop and axial stresses can be found here. I suspect unless you're doing this problem for fun there's also examples of these equations in your textbook and lecture notes.

Once you've figured out the hoop, axial, and shear stresses on the element you can use Mohr's circle to calculate the principal and maximum shear stresses. I suspect your textbook also has an explanation on direct stresses in thin walled cylinders. I found this blurb online but it's basically saying the same thing about hoop and axial stress.

You're a lifesaver and I really appreciate you taking time out of your day to help a stranger on the internet. This has 100% helped me wrap my head around this problem and I think I'll be able to manage it now no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Senor P. posted:

Golden Hand Cuffs?

I have been at my place 7 years, 3 years at a job before that. I moved into management 1.5 years ago.

Here I:

get paid well. ~150k
Good 401k. 4% match, vanguard with awesome ERs
Pension. 10% of highest salary x years, plus interest or something
Cheap health insurance
40 hours a week
It is fun as hell
Some travel but not a crazy amount
Get to work on a lot of cool projects
Live 6 min bike ride from the office
Can work remote
Good boss
27 PTO days

I have been open to looking around but it is not worth it. I could go make 180k but I would work 55+ hours a week and maybe get 15 PTO days.

I am not sure I will retire here but I would say 9 more years here is very likely (my GFs lease on here dental practice space is up then...).