Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
I agree with the GPA vs. connections thing. I tried going the honest route for an internship with my gpa, for years, that didn't work. Eventually I used and abused some family connections and got some work with a large engineering firm.

If you want to use 'connections' they have be quite strong. IE they are willing to put their reputation on the line for you. And you have to be a hard worker, if you screw up, it's their rear end too.

Just being 'friends' with the guy doesn't cut it. They have to be willing to vouch and take responsibility for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

RedReverend posted:

We've got a branch campus of WSU here in town, as well as a lot of govt contractors and high tech industry. They mostly recruit their engineers out of the local campus. I'd say that it depends on the area though.

Most of the local graduates I know of, only get hired as engineers if they already have had an internship/existing job at one of the local companies. Or inside contacts.

Entry level engineering jobs have gotten a lot harder to find in this locale. I don't mind doing other jobs, but that makes it that much longer towards getting a PE.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
As a recent ME graduate, what should I be using to find jobs? Careerbuilder and monster doesn't seem to cut it and I'm tired of going around and making accounts for big engineering/construction companies.

Currently I'm employed at a large company but I won't get promoted for a better position(field engineer) for another 6 months.. and even then that is a big IF.....

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Thoguh posted:

How long have you been there? 6 more months doesn't seem like a very long time to wait for a promotion.

18 months. It is not so much a promotion as it is a transfer to additional department with real work. However depending on funding, there may be a hiring freeze and I may have waited around for nothing.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 18, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

panascope posted:

Should I try to schedule a phone interview or see if the manager would be receptive to an evening or weekend interview? Or should I just stick out a few months working a poo poo job before trying to find something better? I probably wouldn't feel bad considering leaving this job if it wasn't my buddy's dad that I was working for.

Schedule a phone interview, it is quite normal. (While a weekend or evening interview isn't impossible. What is in it for them to do it?) There's nothing wrong with discussing job prospects at the very least.

As for working for your friend's dad, ask him and get a feel for how long he wants you. Honestly if you can give him a one month notice, and write instructions for your replacement on how to do their job, that would probably be a huge help. (You need to do this, you can find it here. For this you need to contact XXX. This stuff is located here. Etc..)

Wait until things are official before making any announcements.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Wolfy posted:

What do Civs do? A lot. Some work at construction sites as managers. As far as I know these are terribly easy jobs that don't require any real engineering. If this is something that interests you there is a degree called Civil Engineering Technology/Construction Engineer/Construction Management Technology or some combination. These degrees are typically light on math and geared towards these kind of jobs.

Bah hah hah. I don't know which construction companies you've worked with, but engineers working in construction don't have easy jobs. It's often up to us to fix stupid poo poo design engineers do.

Like design engineers deciding to put equipment in a location that cannot be easily welded or bolted down. Or a location that does not meet fire or electrical code requirements. Or rewelding equipment to certain standards because a vendor hosed up. Or stupid designs that get craft hurt.

Anyone working any kind of design position should have exposure to construction. If they're not coming from a craft background, then they should go do some construction engineering for a bit. Some folks might think it is beneath them, but I think overall it results in better quality work.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 11, 2012

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

grover posted:

Engineering is always a compromise. Sometimes, the design engineer simply made a mistake, but more often, these decisions were often made for a very good reason and changing the location creates other issues elsewhere. They're definitely not changes that should be made blindly by a tradesman who wants a little more room to work. But the numbers really do need to be ran by the original design engineer, or the design engineer at least consulted as to WHY he ran a pipe through the electrical panel exclusion area, etc, so that the adjustment can be made properly.

What really pisses me off are engineers who never get out to the real world to see the consequences of their designs. A little more thought in the design phase can pay huge dividends in improvements in constructability and use.
Yeah, engineers not seeing the consequences of their designs chaps my hide too.

Like building their own houses, violating building codes, then just stamping it off as passing inspection for the hell of it.

Guess next time at work I'll just stamp off these pressure vessel welds as being 'acceptable'. Not adhering to codes is certainly a great way to ensure safety and quality.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 11:49 on May 13, 2012

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Thoguh posted:

(i.e. field engineer) and work your way up.

When you say field engineer, what exactly do you mean? The term has a lot of use and meanings depending on the job required...

Also, has anyone had any luck with an employment agency. I don't really have the time to apply to positions at my current job during the week days, and during the weekend I'm mostly taking care of some family related stuff.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 29, 2012

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

unkle77 posted:

That's what I passed the FE with, and you're right: those calcs are awesome. The ability to edit/display equations before running them is also huge.

On an unrelated note, I graduated with a BSCE and an EIT this past December and have not had any real luck in finding an engineering job.

Have you tried applying for construction engineer/field engineer positions? Those are usually pretty available and help build good experience.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

quote:

Desk jobs suck.
If you don't mind my asking, which construction company lets recent graduates do overseas jobs? For the one I'm working for it looks like you'll need at least 4-6 years before they'll send you anywhere outside of the U.S or Canada.

If you rather not say the name, can I maybe get their initial? Is it Ki? KB? Be? UR? Ha? Sh?

As far as moving around goes, how short of a notice are we talking about?

Field/Construction engineering is a lot of fun, but it also comes with quite a bit of uncertainty as the projects come and go.

**Edit
I would stick in construction but maybe search around for a different company. Different companies do different things. (Although sometimes poo poo is the same everywhere.)

You could try working for the owner of a power plant of any other industrial facility. The job is usually stable, you can get away from your desk and the pay is good.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 19, 2012

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

nbakyfan posted:

Thanks for the insight into the work you guys do. I'll certainly look into those places. It sounds like I won't be able to get a summer internship for my final summer because of the grant money that is being used for my research at school, so I'm going to try and set up some appointments for tours of different companies in 2013/2014. Some guys I graduated with in undergrad are already complaining about their jobs since they just took the first job offer they got, and I do not want to make that same mistake.

To be fair, you don't really get a lot of choice in the current economy. If you can get a seemingly decent engineering job (decent pay, and health benefits), I would say take it.

Chances are when you graduate, you won't be working WHERE you want to work, and you won't be doing WHAT you want to do.

Hopefully in a couple of years, you will be able to start doing what you want.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
Does anyone have reccomendations for engineering companies that don't suck, located in the Pacific Northwest? I've only worked at one large company but looking around online I don't think a lot of people like the large companies. (Intel, Microsoft, General Electric, etc....)

The reason I ask is it looks like I'm going to have to move back to Oregon or Seattle to help my father get ready for retirement.

Booties, the other thing you have to realize is chances are your cover letter will be looked at by multiple people. HR folks, your immediate supervisor, their boss, and possibly their boss too.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

CatchrNdRy posted:

Does anyone know what kind of jobs are like a few months on and a few months off type schedule?

Steam generator replacement projects on nuclear power plants (3 months) or 'normal' outages (1-2 months). Of course you will be traveling a lot and working a lot. (6-10's or 6-12's, maybe more.)

You can hit up multiple outages a year and take time off inbetween. The downside is you will more or less be a contractor for whichever company has the contract and while you may make good money, you'll need to worry about insurance coverage between jobs...

bjobjoli posted:

Is this:
a) A good idea.
b) Annoying.
c) Who knows?

It is a good idea, however I don't think it will get you any closer to employment. Research costs money. Or were you talking about trying to get them to pay you for it?

The company I work with, people do research papers on their own time as far as I'm aware. They may get rewarded for it, maybe not. I think they have a contest to see who gets paid to research into an issue further. But its not like we have laboratories or anything like that.

Does any one have recommendations for companies in the Portland or Seattle areas?
Right now I'm looking at maybe switching to Intel. My job is currently steady but I don't really care for the locale or the work. I rather avoid an hour's drive. (I like Portland's lay out and cheaper condos/houses but I like not having to pay a state tax...) Maybe I'll apply to some Army Corps of Engineer jobs for the hydro dams...

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 6, 2013

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Olothreutes posted:

I have a year left in my nuclear engineering degree. Anyone out there who works in reactor design? Am I better off working for the private sector (Ge, Westinghouse, Babcock & Wilcox) or trying to get with one of the labs (I live in Albuquerque, so I have Sandia and Los Alamos near at hand) if I want to design next-gen reactors? Does designing reactors suck? Tell me what is better than that. I've done some work in non-proliferation and didn't find it very interesting, and I have no desire to work with weapons. Those are pretty much the only things I won't do, although I'd prefer not to be driving a reactor forever if I could avoid it.
I'd say go work as a construction engineer on one of the new reactors (Vogtle or V.C. Summer) if you can. Last time I checked Westinghouse was having lay offs. Right now I think getting on the design side of things might be a bad choice.

Right now the new reactors being built are... AP1000 (US), EPR (Europe), and APR1400 (S. Korea), VVER 1000, and VVER 1200 (Russia). Those countries are who designed them, not where they're being built. I think that's it.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

One position I applied for asked me if I could submit a portfolio of my past projects. What in the world is a portfolio in the engineering sense? Are there any good examples out there? I've never actually designed and built anything but the position I applied for isn't a designing and building position either.

Maybe they want some reports on design projects you've done the last few years?

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

ov posted:

So, how should I go about looking for a job abroad? Is it hopeless? I know I am better off getting some experience back home before applying but I would still like to know how to maximize my chances.

Get experience with a company that does that kind of thing, then go abroad. You're not going to go abroad right out of college because young fresh college graduates carry risk.

Something like not offending the local populace would seem obvious, but you never know...

The exception to that might be working for the state department or the army, but generally they want experience.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

ov posted:

Yeah, you're right and thanks for the answer. I should get experience here first. I was just asking since the job market here is kind of slow for chemical engineers, well in Sweden atleast.

Oh, I thought you were in the U.S.

You might be able to, sign onto some oil exploration companies and it may be a possibility.

**Edit
Does anyone have any experience for working at one of the big oil companies? The pay looks tempting but given their size, I'm concerned about getting forgotten about.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 17, 2013

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
On the subject of P.E. licenses I don't think it is fair to discrimate those who have not gone to college. People coming from craft backgrounds have been able to get their P.E's ahead of time. My old boss managed to get his P.E. before going and getting his degree.

Also I really don't think graduate school should count an additional 2 years out of the necessary 4 to a P.E. license. (Graduate research and work are not the same.)

Metapod posted:

I'm a junior in high school and I would like to know what does it take to be a civil engineer?

The ability to move dirt, survey, and perform basic maths. They do stuff with concrete, grout, structual steel, and other steel shapes.

I imagine there's is similar to other 4 year engineering degrees, they will do 2 years of math, 1-2 years of chemistry, 2 years of physics, etc...

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

RogueLemming posted:

A lot of this is public perception. Part of the PE is instilling trust in the public that standards are in place to protect them. No one cares that a tradesman could be more competent than an "official" engineer, they want to see that piece of paper. It's the same reason a 21 year old music major is "more qualified" to be a manager at Target than someone who has worked there 20 years.

Let's say a building falls over and hundreds of people die. Which account will people find more acceptable?
1. The stamping engineer has a degree in engineering and 10 years of experience, but made a design error. The firm will be financially responsible and the engineer will be stripped of his license.
2. The stamping engineer had no formal schooling, but 20 years of "trade experience" (including the inital "foot in the door" years of sweeping the shop floor). The firm will be financially responsible and the engineer will be stripped of his license.

If I were a lawyer, I'd have a field day with that second one. The firm would probably not survive the ordeal, and then no one would hire non-degree PEs anyway.

20 years experience, because he still managed to get his license, has worked on numerous projects, has worked in the field, and has worked with numerous PE engineers, design engineers, operations, and others. How does trade school not count as formal schooling? You do know craft have to be able to read drawings, do math, know their applicable codes, right? Do you think that there is no education involved in learning how to weld? Repair HVAC equipment? Be a millwright, electrician or pipe fitter?

Compared to an engineer with a PE, 10 years of experience of sitting in the office and not being able to handle working in a field environment and know how things are done or how the equipment they're involved in actually works.

The choice seems obvious to me.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

I acknowledge and agree that I will be educated and trained to perform the duties of my employment. This training will be provided at a cost to the company and should I resign or be terminated within 24 months then the company will not have obtained the benefits they intended and were entitled to, whereas this training will immensely benefit and be useful to me in my future employment with third parties (i.e., employment with clients, customers, or competitors). Therefore, I will pay a sum of $X (thousands) of dollars to the company if I resign or am terminated within 24 months and thereafter begin working for a client, customer, or competitor. This amount is the fair dollar amount for the training and education provided to me.

Is this loving normal? Because I have a lot of issue with this and I want to know if I'm in line with thinking this is outrageous and that I should run for the hills.
Seems normal to me, if they are going to spend several thousand dollars getting you trained by outside companies, they dont want you to run off prematurely.

My employer really does not have outside training so we don't have to worry about it. However we do have a clause where if they relocate you (paid) for a job and you quit before a year then you owe them the money for your re-location. I don't have that much of an issue, one year isn't that long.

Two years on the other hand is more of a commitment.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 6, 2013

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

bjobjoli posted:

I've been looking for work for 14 months now out of school. I don't know what the gently caress to do, really. Anyone have suggestions on what companies or geographical areas to look at? I'm a MechE/Environmental engineer type hybrid. Open to relocating anywhere, really.

My suggstion, go work as a construction engineer with one of the big companies and be ready to head south, because there is more work there.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

mitztronic posted:

So my new position has me in the core of our company and I am occasionally introduced into the upper management drama. The politics & posturing in upper management is so disgusting. Lots of them are as dumb as a sack of bricks, which to me is the cherry on top. Everyone involved on the engineering side (from engineering managers (technical management) to program chief engineers is fine though. Its the management execs and some VPs/etc that are just... unbelievable. Their maturity level is around elementary school level. I had a ExDir tell someone that he "wasnt trying to break [his] balls" in a meeting. So loving unprofessional.

I would imagine other companies are the same? Any ridiculous stories anyone can share from past companies?

I gotta agree with Nam Taf here. If you can't handle something like "Quit busting my balls" or "Shove it up your rear end!" or a "gently caress you!" in a meeting, you're probably working in the wrong place.

The worst I've had to deal with so far...

1. We were sitting in a connex on break, talking about people having kids and one of the fitters in the crew I support mentioned something about wanting no N***** babies or mixing the races.

2. Talking behind closed doors about how they wanted to sexually assault a co-worker of mine.

These were'nt old guys either. However it just varies widely on where the people grew up, what kind of schools they went to, and who they hung out with. The guys I'm working with right now don't have that problem from what I've seen so far.

So yeah something along the lines of "Quit busting my balls!" is pretty tame to some other stuff you're gonna hear.

Unless someone says something directly to you, regarding you, there's not much you can do about it other than guide the conversation to something else.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 7, 2014

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I'm thinking of jumping companies and making a slight career change. (Going from being a construction engineer to something else...)

Do any of you guys and gals have experience working with Chevron or Saudi Aramco? I've been reading through reviews on glass door and neither company seems bad, as far as benefits go.

Of course I know some companies seem to be boosting their profiles on glass door quite a bit.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

KetTarma posted:

I asked them when I could apply for next summer and that I was still interested in working there. The HR lady seemed to be brushing me off after I declined to talk about compensation stuff though.

On the flip side, it's freaking February already. Why are they just now interviewing people? I had already signed my offer letter back in December. Is that abnormal?
Utility companies do all kind of crazy things. I wouldn't worry too much about it. The one I work with right now is just, ugh. But they're a government utility so maybe the private companies are not as bad.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 23, 2014

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Olothreutes posted:

This man gets it. Germany has gone in the wrong direction for sure, and eventually they'll figure it out. It's only a matter of time. We just have to get past all the prejudice around nuclear power which is no small task. I'm debating going into policy and education at some point to try and get around this stuff, but honestly it will probably always be an uphill battle.
Right now nuclear is more or less dead in the U.S. Sure they're building 4 new reactors (2 at Vogtle and 2 at Sumner). However no ones is mentioning that the people who were working on these things 20-30 years ago are still working on them. I really don't see a big push to replace the current fleet any time soon.

Corla Plankun posted:

Its nice to see someone talking sense in here! I was really surprised at the number of people working in petroleum/coal in this thread, and how unaware they seem to the fact that their job literally entails making earth worse for everyone. Maybe when one than more utility is actually building a reactor or they build new reactors to replace the current operating fleet can the claim be made things are starting to boom again.

edit:

I would love to see you elaborate on this stance.
Most people use the justification that modern society is heavily reliant upon Electricity and petroleum based products. If you don't produce the goods, someone else will. If coal is not mined from Appalachia and sold to overseas buyers, then they're just going to go somewhere else and buy their product.

Don't get me wrong there some utilities are phasing out their coal plants. (I think Oregon and Washington are getting rid of theirs by 2020 and TVA announced they'll be shuttering a number of their facilities.)

Of course this has a direct impact on blue collar jobs. But who cares about the blue collar workers? They can just move to another city, am i rite? (I'm being sarcastic.)

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 12, 2014

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Dead Pressed posted:

On top of those concerns, you need to then think about the disposal of nuclear waste. Literally no one wants to touch that stuff. The US can't even get approval to dump under Yucca Mountain, a barren wasteland of a place 100 miles away from any city of note (Vegas).
Actually, the current de factor nuclear storage/disposal plan is dry cask.

Dead Pressed posted:

I'm glad you qualified this comment by saying its not attainable. This is literally impossible. Norway is the size of New Mexico with 1/7 the people, and such a feat will never scale to the USA. Hydro and Nuke power can simply not supply 350MM Americans spread across the area of the US the amount of power they currently receive with the loss in transmission from condensed renewable plants. We're simply too spread out.

Hydro and nuke alone? Maybe not. However, Hydro, nuclear, and natural gas could certainly do the job. Apart from initial cost, why couldnt large coal power plants across the country be replaced by nuclear units?

Dead Pressed posted:

Making the world worse for everyone? Give me a break. Ask those in India, China that have power for the first time due to coal generated power. Let me know if you think the world is worse from it. Though, I too am glad we can share the illusions we're under due to hearsay from those as un-informed as we are without investigating any form of underlying factors that may be present or relevant to the conversation! My hippie girlfriend heard from a guy on CNN that food makes you obese, why can't you guys just see, there's not other way...we must quit eating. There is not a balanced option!
I don't want to agree with the hippie guy but are you honestly just brushing off the smog problem that China has that effects the surrounding countries? Just :dealwithit: the lovely air?

If you want to talk about affordability, per the EIA combined cycle plants are cheaper to build. See table 1. Now that does not represent the third world, but you get a general idea.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Pander posted:

I don't mind commercial nuclear, I just wish I weren't always contracting for high profile high priority projects that are fast-tracked 8 ways from Sunday. I can at least say I've done some pretty ridiculous stuff despite only a couple years 'real' experience. Also, the secret is to find the good plants to live at. They include

I actually looked for/applied for a bunch of the jobs you listed, Olothreutes, a couple years ago when I was out of college and wanting anything. You could probably search my history, look early/mid-2012 to see a personification of "I applied everywhere why can't I get a job :qq:" college grad. Might be time to look again, I think my current A/E firm is starting to look dicey long-term.

My issue with the commercial nuclear industry is that the utility I've worked with acts like a giant baby (and from what I heard the other utilities are not that much better). Additionally there is stupid poo poo like a utility willing to spend 100k to expedite a part they've got to have right now, instead of listening to the person identify the issue several months ahead of time.

You have to remember that there is a reason things like NRC's fatigue rule had to be invented.

Also the fines that the NRC give to power plants are pretty drat low in contrast to how much money these things make per day.

If you graduate as a nuclear engineer you can do work a mechanical engineer can, one of my co-workers was like that.

I keep hearing "oh we need more people experienced in nuclear" but when you consider the number of facilities that have closed or are shutting down and the people from there looking for other jobs I think the nuclear market is oversaturated.

Frankly I rather work in the petrochemical industry and that is what I'm trying to do.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

KetTarma posted:

I wanted to ask the opinion of people that are out in industry. A number of people I know are getting out of the military and going to online engineering schools. I'm extremely skeptical of this and have said as much. They're ABET accredited. All of the labs are done via simulator programs. Should I be discouraging people from doing this? It just seems really sketchy.
ABET basically effects how long it takes you to get your P.E. license. Most states want 8 years of experience + schooling. (ABET accreditation is the determining factor on the schooling portion of it, in most instances.)

Edit**
ABET actually covers this on their website. ASU's online EE program is ABET accredited, so no worries there. North Dakota's is not.
http://www.abet.org/online-programs/

If they're going to want their PE license within the first 4-6 years of working, I would say go to a ABET accredited program.

If the main campus has ABET accredidation but the online program does not, in terms of quality of the programs I would not be too concerned about it.

If the college/unversity does not have ABET accredidation and is offering 4 year engineering degrees, then that is a red flag to me. Computer Science is different, they are not engineers and are not required to pursue licensing.

Honestly out of all the Mechanical Engineering labs I did, most of them I think were a waste of time physically performing the lab. I think if you could create an online simulator that shows effectively what you do and churns out the necessary data you need to analyze, that is the key thing. While some labs you go get to do some hands on stuff (I enjoyed doing metallurgical analysis.) Stuff like fatigue life or modulus of elasticity labs are kind of boring. (TA does most of the set up and you just get your test results and go spit out some data.)

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 22, 2014

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I was wondering, how much does the company you engineers work for contribute to your 401k?

I got laid off recently so I know I need to get used to whatever is the normal going rate. (I was getting 6% match + 3% bonus on company performance which was pretty nice.)

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Cicero posted:

Sounds to me like it's 8% contribution, 4% match.

The true BFC answer is that you should be maxing out your 401k every year. I do this now, although it helps that my company does 50% match up to the maximum allowed contribution (17.5k this year?).
I might be mistaken but I think the 17.5k is the limit to contributions you can make as an employee.

The limit of you and your employer is a different value.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
What the hell is a tech? Is it supposed to be some gray area between skilled craft/tradesperson and engineer?

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Xeom posted:

So a big career fair is going down in Detroit, its the SHPE(Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers) yearly conference. Its a pretty big conference with lots of companies. Its 50 dollars just to attend, but I live in Florida and it would cost me around $400 dollars to attend in total; Possibly more if I have to stay a second night.

I am mostly interested in going because a few of the oil service companies are going. Schlumberger in particular interests me because they seem to be the best to work for, and I've also heard they will hire you at the career fairs as long as you aren't a complete idiot. Overall it seems that companies are more likely to hire you if you meet in person.

Basically I am desperate for a job. $400 dollars will hurt my family, but they are willing to help me out. But is it worth going to? Plenty of students do go, so it must be worth something, I am just worried about throwing money down the drain. Also worried about showing up as a graduate, it seems that its mostly people still in school that attend.

Goons should I go or not?

gently caress that. You're a degreed chemical engineer in need of a job? Get thee to Houston. (Or start contacting Linked in recruiters.)

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Shipon posted:

What's seen as better internship experience: ones at smaller companies or larger companies? I've been working at my present internship (ChemE) for the past six months at a company of about 40 people, and I feel like I'm just doing technician level work, instead of getting the experience companies are actually looking for. The people are nice and the schedule is flexible during the year, but I just feel like a larger company might be better equipped to give projects you can actually learn from (The entire point of my major seems to be process scaling and a small company really can't do that), and would pay better to boot.

I think it depends. A larger company will probably look better on your resume but a smaller company will more likely be more enjoyable. The last time we had an intern at a large company we were'nt really able to get them up to speed and then just cut the string in two months.

I got a salary question for the folks in this thread.

I received my Mechanical Engr. degree roughly 3.5 years ago. I have been working at the same company for 5 years, coming this Spring. (I finished my degree while working as a technician full time.)

Any guesstimate as to what I should be looking at salary wise? I think I should be making around 72-75k(not including overtime and benefits) but maybe I'm being greedy here. I don't have my P.E., or my EIT although I'm working on it. Let's say I'm in the Gouston area..

Am I being too greedy here?

It sucks that most Engineering companies don't have worthwhile salaries and benefits AND are fun enjoyable places to work.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Corla Plankun posted:

Glassdoor gives salary info if you register (for free). That's what I use for everything and it has been very accurate (anecdotal example: I got an offer in Atlanta that was exactly what glassdoor suggested). I feel like you are low-balling yourself but that is 100% coming from my gut.

Yes, but glass door does not provide information for time in position.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
Am I the only guy getting stuck with new hire wee-a-boos or is it just me? I'm only 30 but getting a tad aggravated by the younger new hires.

One fucker is riding his father's coat tails, I asked him to do something and he delegated it to someone else. He and I are going to have a talk when he gets back. "Hey rear end in a top hat this is your loving responsibility, not X's. If you don't know how to do it, ask, that is fine. Don't pawn it onto someone else who is your senior, who is busy, when you're dicking around on facebook."

Fucker #2 is okay when he's not making the most crass base jokes known to man. Dead baby jokes? Rape jokes? Gay jokes? Check check check. I really want to just knock his rear end out sometimes.

New guy #3 I have not really had to deal with too much. Maybe he's got some PTSD or ADD being a former Iraq vet, but I can tune him out more than #2. A bit odd but hopefully in a few weeks he'll be manageable. He aggravates the poo poo out of #2 but I think it'll be okay cause it'll teach #2 some god drat patience. He did commit a couple of social faux paus when out drinking with the department on Saturday. Refused to chip into the beer fund or physically bring the beer but had no problems drinking from it.

I swear too few people know when to shut up and listen, especially before they speak.

So here is the biggest piece of advice to you fresh young college graduates:
1. Ask questions when you have them pertaining to work.
2. Don't eavesdrop or interrupt conversations unless you know the parties involved.
3. LISTEN before you speak.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
Whomever was looking for a non-office engineering job, I'd say go the route as working as a Construction Engineer, or Plant Enginieer (Power Plant, chemical plant, or some other large facility).

However even if you're walking around all day or climbing up/down vessels and columns you're not going to necessarily stay in shape...

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
So hopefully in a few months I get to move back home and work near there. (Currently working in Africa.)

If I sit and take my PE and pass, is it worth getting a master's?

Companies seem to like to show that you're continuously doing education. If not the master's there are a couple of different 4-6 day courses I'd like to do with various vendors...

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Uthor posted:

Can you share some info about this? I'd be interested.

A few off the top of my head:

Training on drag valves from CCI
Training on compressors from CCC (different company)
HSB or National Board training on pressure relief valve
Training from John Crane on Mechanical Seals
Training from flowserve on various pump rebuilds...

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Well what about pursuing things on the DCS/ICS (Digital/Industrial Control Systems) side and then going to go work in the field?

Since I've graduated I have not done a lick of legit 'Engineering' work. (Design)

Most of my day consists of checking vendor documentation and making sure my craft guys don't gently caress up repairs to the plant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Frankston posted:

I have an interview for an internship coming up at a steel company and I need to prepare a 15 minute presentation on a real-world example of a steel component failing, the repercussions, how it could have been prevented, etc etc. Can anyone suggest any such examples I could start looking at?
As folks have said the Hyatt walkway example is pretty good. Liberty ship failure is another good one. Suspect/counterfeit items are also an interesting topic.

ch3cooh posted:

Anybody here do much with MPI and AWS D1.1 and ASTM E709?

Having a massive showdown with a rig inspector over a procedure that performs MPI on welds through 10mils of paint. Rig inspector says that's not allowed, rig owner says it is, engineer caught in the middle (me) doesn't know enough about the subject but think the text of E709 plainly states when it is allowed and in this case it is.
I would defer to your welding engineer or metallurgical engineer if you have one. Are you sure ASTM E709 is what applies in this case? How does it work along side with the AWS codes? I would ask on the AWS forums to be honest with you. There may be additional codes involved.