Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Crossposting from the oath thread.

Here is my completed Banewolf of the 113th Vali Mechanized.

It seems like I got a warped upper hull piece sadly, which explains why no amount of rubber banding, and glue could hold the drat thing flush with the lower hull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Hello everyone. I am currently painting up my IG army after a long hiatus from the game.

Anyway, I have a question about basing. My IG army is, fluff wise, specialized in urban combat. As such, I would really like my bases to reflect this environment.

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas for making some nice urban bases, at a relatively low cost. I have basing materials. (sand, stone, rocks for rubble)

I have a squad of IG troopers already glued directly to the standard black bases since I got them like this from a friend, so I was hoping that there was something feasible that could be used on these guys as well, and still maintain a nice cohesive look across the board.

Edit: And I just looked at the list of GW paints because I knew that they released some new paints. Looks like my main army color that I have used on my infantry, as well as two tanks is gone.

Does anyone have any supplements for the following paints?
Chardon Granite
Adeptus Battlegrey
Codex Grey

If not, does anyone know where to buy the old pots of paint. Chardon Granite is the big one that I need more than anything.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 13, 2012

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Stormvermin is light, and looks nothing like Chardon sadly. My one friend has a pot of it, and it has the sort of brownish hue right, but it is way too light.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Yeah, I read that as well. Unfortunately, as he mentions, he isn't looking for color, but for effect. I am looking for just the opposite, color, but not effect.(once again, too light)

Unfortunatley, my tanks and infantry are currently painted with the nice dark granite as the main paint color of the army. Does anyone know if there are any other lines that have a color that is close, like that Valero company or whatever it is called?

I still have half a tub of the granite left, but I am starting to get worried that I will have to change colors halfway through and my army will look like poo poo.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I finished 10 guardsmen last night. I got sandwiched by the deadline, so I ended up pumping out the last of them in an eight hour block, and discovered I had no more glue for basing, so I will probably go back and do some touching up in the not so immediate future. I might also add some grenades and a vox or something like that as well, but I am not sure.

Anyway, they are my 113th Vali mechanized infantry and as they are specialized for urban warfare, they are armed with Las Carbines with folding wire stocks.

Anyway, thanks to sub par selection at the Hobby Town I went to, as well as encouragement from my fiance, I picked up some Marines for this months painting and modeling.

My problem is that I need to find a pair of Angel Wings that would fit nicely on a marine body, without looking too big or two small. Does anyone have a suggestion as to where I could find such items? They just have to be feathered wings.(not mechanical ones.)

Edit: I have discovered that the wings from the Dark Eldar Scourge would work perfectly for what I am going for. Does anyone have any links to sites that sell just the wings in pairs, or happen to have a pair sitting in their bits box that they wouldn't mind parting with?

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 2, 2012

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Speaking of basing, what do you guys recommend for basing techniques that look good, but keep the model securely attached to the base? I have traditionally just glued them right to the base and then filled in the basing material around them, but I wonder if that makes them look too deep in the soil.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I am just wondering why everyone is so upset about the GW Finecast resin move that they made. (Aside from some quality control issues.) I mean, there are a few models that I really don't get, like their recently announced Broadside resin swap which would have been better in plastic, but for the most part it doesn't seem to be too bad choice wise. I personally despise working with metal models. I find the quality to be horrible, the paint chips, and they are a pain in the rear end to put together.(and mine always fall apart) Resin just seems to be easier to work with. (though someone needs to develop a compound that melts resin the way that plastic glue does. Super glue is a pain.)

That being said, I really don't like seeing a model that I would love to canibalize bits off of for a conversion, then discovering that it is resin.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Cross posting from the oath thread.

I managed to finish my Skulls of the Archangel Honor Guard squad.

First up, one of the marines armed with Lightning Claws.

Next up, my Sanguinary Noviate.

Next, my Chapter Champion.

A Plasma Rifle Equipped Marine.

And my Chapter Banner bearer.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

JerryLee posted:

Any particular reason why you decided to use a bunch of Space Wolf bits in various locations? Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing AT ALL--quite the contrary--I just am always curious what sparks the inspiration for people to kitbash like this.

The models look great to me, in case that wasn't obvious!

I won a sprue of 5 Spacewolves from the Oath trek last month, and I decided to fold the models into my chapter without having them be too, too obvious that I am mixing and matching. I like the whole trophies thing, and the wolf skulls are pretty cool. Also diluting the wolfyness over many different models will help keep it from being a whole "ugh, he is using Space Wolves as Blood Angels" issue. (That and I am using a bunch of other chapter bits in the army, especially Dark Angels cloaked marines for my Death Company. (I figure it is more solemn than red exes.)

I also intend on using specific helms for certain things. My bikers are all going to have the wolf helmet head from the Space Wolves due to their tactics, and my assault marines will all have beak helms. (I really wish it was easier to get a hold of those FW Beak helms from the Ravenguard upgrade pack with the actual beaks, but you only get one to a pack and all the bits sites are sold out.)

TL;DR: I am poor and free marines are free marines. I just don't want to turn my army into a frankenstein laughing stock of random bits.

Edit: Seriously though, I am looking for as much criticism as possible on these models. I am already working on cleaning up some mold lines and paint marks that I missed. Is the Space Wolves stuff to distinctively space wolfy?

Also, odd question, but is there any Aquilas that are visible that I missed? (as I do intend on possibly playing them as CSM as well as BA Aquillas would look out of place.)

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 27, 2012

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Crossposting from the Oath thread.

I have successfully completed painting and construction of Ariel, Liege of Sanguinius, my Librarian, and the Chapter Master of the Skulls of the Archangel.

As always, critiques and comments are greatly appreciated.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So, just out of curiosity, does anyone else glue nickles to the bottoms of your 40k bases to add weight and make the model more stable?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Crossposting from the oath thread.

I present my two, newly painted, but without a spot on my list at the moment, Terminators.

Why are they painted black and cream, instead of Red and cream? They are part of the retinue of the Chapter Master, and are painted black in reverence to those who receive the Archangel's gift. (Death Company)

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 25, 2012

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I got a lot done this week. I not only completed my Chapter Master after ripping apart a Space Hulk Sarge, but I got 7 our of the eventual 19 death company painted up.

First up, my Lyssander counts as, who is also the Chapter Master of the Skulls of the Archangel.

And now, the Death Company.

Seven down, twelve more to go.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I need a weird favor. Does anyone have any good pictures of how copper and bronze(the metals) respond to heat? Not the flame itself, but how the metal scorches and discolors.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Of course we have a blacksmithing thread. Thanks guys, gonna go get my metal abuse effects on.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Well, that copper experiment was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. This is going to be pretty interesting once I get to the weathering stage. Between the heat scoring and the corrosion effects where the sulfuric acid and hydrogen sulfide in the rain on the planet the tank is battling on has reacted with the bare copper(In places where the weathering sealant has worn off), it will be really interesting.

Now I just have to pickup/mix the appropriate paints and make custom washes and I think I can pull it off... I hope.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone had any links to tutorials explaining how to make and use a cheap wet palet? I figure I will be experimenting with mixing paint as I try to make realistic heat weathering for this tank.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Okay, so how do you use the wet palet? I take it that you just get a little water on top of the wax paper and add your colors and blend correct?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

ineptmule posted:

Here's my first Tau model. Testing out the colour scheme which is basically ripped off from the army book. When I start to work on the Pathfinders and Fire Warriors the difference from the 'Eavy Metal scheme will be more pronounced, as they will have grey fatigues under the armour, and a lot less black.

I'm really pleased with how it's come out. I'm pretty stumped on how to do the base though. Any suggestions? I was going to try and tie them into a whole lot of jungle-ish terrain that I'm working on, but I've not decided on the colours for that yet either so I'm open to suggestions!

Edit: Some of the mould lines were really hard to get, ok. I tried! :saddowns:

I just want to chime in that this looks great. I really like the exoskeleton shading look on the armor joints. It makes it look very realistic. Any chance of sharing what you did to pull that part off so well?

Specifically the shoulder pad.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I think that I might do some more work on my completed death company marines. They are all wearing robes that are painted black but I am not fully satisfied with the painting job I did on the robes. As my fiance says, the robes are a little flat. Then I saw a Krieg commissar in this thread that really brought home how flat they look.

When I did them I painted the robe chaos black and highlighted the edges with a lighter grey. Do you guys have any tips on what I should do to make the robes pop more and look more realistic. I was thinking of starting with a black base and drybrushing something like Chardonnay granite or another dark non black grey onto the robes leaving a little black in the recesses and then highlighting but I am not 100% sure. Plus I am worried about blending. I was just wondering if anyone had any techniques for black flowing robes.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Yep, that is the commissar I was talking about. Thanks man, I really appreciate the tip on how you painted it like that. The model looks great by the way.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Lethemonster posted:

Mine are completely scentless, so hopefully the next lot you get should be as well. I am still getting lots of paint up my nose when I use my brush too.

Your avatar makes this post 100X better.

In actual paint news, I have started work on my guardsmen for something to paint, and I am trying my hand at wet blending. Wish me luck.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Crossposting from the 40K thread.

My first attempt at actually blending paint together rather than just layering the premixed paint colors.

Let me know what you think.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Achmed Jones posted:

Do you know the names of any of the rulesets? I want to read this, 'cause it sounds wacky.

This is one of the places that has various rules and regulations about scale height and such. Most model railroad op session rules are just versions of the real life rules. Things such as "blow a 14L (Long long short long) horn blast at all crossings," "The bell must be run when at a crossing, passing a standing train, or when starting to move," stuff like that. It is actually pretty fun if you are into that sort of thing. (I am, and yeah, some of the op sessions can get pretty spergy.)
http://www.nmra.org/

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Crossposting from the 40k thread.

I have finally finished my repaint of my Chimedon into the colors of the 113th Vali mechanized. I tried out the salt technique for the first time and I have to admit, I am quite satisfied with the results.

As always, comments and criticisms are greatly appreciated.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
More cross posting from the 40k thread for me.

I finally got another marine more or less finished. I still have to do a bit more on his base, mainly highlighting and cleanup. This guy is going to be one of my assault marine sergeants.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Okay, so tone down the highlight color brightness. I will do that. I realize now that I grabbed the wrong pot when I did my highlighting this time. That is what I get for taking a few months off painting.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Here is my freshly painted Terminator Sarge with Assault Cannon that I just completed. I am really happy with how this guy turned out. Now I am torn between painting up more Terminators or my land speeder or one of my other unpainted marines, or go back and weather up my already painted marines. I am also happy that my robes look less flat now.

Let me know what you guys think.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 28, 2013

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Yeah, I used a matte finish spray, though it seems to have added just a bit of glare to it. But yeah, I see what you mean about the lamp position. I am just using a normal desk lamp. I should have taken the picks outside while I had light.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Cross postin from the 40k thread.

Well after a little over two weeks I am finally finished with my Imperial Knight Titan. It is a freeblade Knight called "The Knight Repentant" who fought in the defense of Imperial Forces on Vali IV. The Knight is on a Penance crusade after failing an oath.

As always questions, comments and critiques are greatly appreciated. Overall it was a very fun model to paint and build. I especially enjoyed making sure that each moving part had an ample supply of grease painted onto it. A special thanks to Buffalochicken for the extra skeletal aquila transfers.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Does anyone have any tips for painting a scar on someone, particularly their flesh?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Use the same progression of tones you use for the normal skin only stop about one or two steps before you do normally. So if you do like, for instance: Dark Brown base, Suntan Flesh, Suntan Flesh+Maiden Flesh, Maiden Flesh+Suntan Flesh, Maiden Flesh. As your normal progression then stop at Maidenflesh+Suntan Flesh. Also mix in either a little bit of maroon or purple into your colors.

An easier method is also to paint the scar super duper over highlighted with really bright highs and dark lows and then wash with a red wash (GW's Carroburg Crimson for example).

This is of course for Caucasian skin, anything else you'll need to change it up a bit. Darker skinned people tend to scar pink or really dark brown (depending on the age of the scar) and asian people are all over the map depending on where the person is from (Koreans will be pretty much the same as a random American but a Cambodian or Thai person would be different).

Thanks. Looks like I will need to pick up some purple paint since the closest thing I have to maroon is an old pot of Scab Red. This particular model will be Caucasian but I really don't have much in the way of a method for making skin tones yet. (I painted marines before this, and tau before this so I didn't get much practice with skin tones so my IG army is going to be a new challenge) My goal is to make my army more realistic by varying the different shades of skin color since I highly doubt that in the 41st millenium, every single person is a homogeneous skin color.

A quick follow up question though. What is a good paint progression, preferably citadel, for painting black skin, particularly some of the lighter shades of black skin, as well as the really dark shades.

Edit: also, does anyone have any tips for how to paint stubbley hair on a bald head? Like how the old Kasrkin sergeant has where you can see where his hair was since it is starting to grow in slightly.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 13:18 on May 8, 2014

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Thanks Pierzak. I just have one more question, what do you mean when you say make a glaze? Is that watering it down a lot, or is it just the act of mixing it with a bit of the grey?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Well, I have finished painting up my fiance's 40k related present to me, a Kasrkin Sergeant. There was only one stipulation, and that is that he had to be named Sgt Blinky and had to have only one eye, so taking my fiance up on that challenge, I spent several hours watching videos on how to paint faces and I have to say that I am pretty happy wiht the look. Also, I forgot how much I hate pewter models, the paint rubs off of them so easily. Also I drilled the sword into my thumb while painting.

Edit: Man, close ups really show off the errors more than the naked eye.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 10, 2014

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So every year, my friend who lives in Germany and I send each other packages for Christmas. We tend to send each other various food that we can't get in our respective parts of the world. (He absolutely loves Snyders Bacon Cheddar pretzel bits) Anyway, this year I decided to paint up and send him something special.

He plays 40k and has a pretty sizable Iron Warriors army. The main army he plays against is his friend/boss's Space Wolves army which tends to kick his rear end most of the time. So I figured I would paint him up his own personal pet Space Puppy.

This is Dog.

I forget where I got the arms and heads from since I got them years ago when I first had the idea for an enslaved Wulfen. Originally I was going to make a Dark Eldar beastmaster army which used one instead of a clawed fiend since the fluff mentions that they captured Space Wolves, and used marines in gladiatorial arenas.

Also, I might make a second one because I just found the second arm that I had.

As always, comments and critiques are encouraged.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Does anyone know of any good tutorials for weathering Space Marines so that they look like they have been in the field, but aren't horribly beat to hell?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Well, I can do paint chips and stuff, I am looking more for dust and dirt. Tips more than anything. That and doing chips on a dark grey paint since paint chips don't look as good without a bit of "primer" showing through and black won't show up too well.

Edit: Also, why do I have this random compulsion to take the Commando Elite from Small Soldiers and make them into a Catachan Command squad?

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 10, 2014

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I had a random idea for a Tzeentch themed chaos army the other day and decided to paint up a marine just to see how it would work. The whole idea was to make an army, or in the case of the test model, a marine that is completely devoid of color and desaturated. I chose to do a Blood Angel as the test figure, and I think it came out okay, which is good because shading the armor was very time consuming. I also based it in a way that the earth is being desaturated around the marine's feet.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

So I have finally finished my honor guard and Chapter Master for my Cathartes Aura Space Marine Chapter. There are a few things that I need to touch up, as usual, that I wasn't able to see until I put a camera on my figures. Anyway, let me know what you guys think. Cathartes Aura is the scientific name of the red headed Turkey Vuture by the way. Also, Cathartes means purifier.

Group shot

Chapter Master

Standard Bearer along with shots of the banner and the Vulture. A special thanks to BuffaloChicken for the axe. He looks better now that he actually has a weapon.

Here is the Champion. I am really happy with how this guy turned out.

For the most part I plan on running them as having Relic Blades. Most of them are modeled with axes, but I did use swords as well.

Yeah, yeah, I know. Drill my barrels. Unfortunately my drill bit broke and my exacto knife doesn't have a point on it anymore so I wasn't able to drill the barrel yet because money is short. It will get drilled though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Well, I have finished my Cathartes Aura Dreadnought. Let me know what you guys think.

• Locked thread