Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I've been poking around on google but haven't found anything stellar.

Does anyone have any good links for or experience with making water bases?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
cross postin'

Click here for the full 600x746 image.

Click here for the full 1067x800 image.

Click here for the full 997x400 image.

Click here for the full 1028x400 image.

Click here for the full 600x690 image.

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

So I need some suggestions on how to base them.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Finally finished my plague furnace. Its a super sweet model but I hope I never have to paint another one!

Click here for the full 543x1000 image.

Click here for the full 714x800 image.

Click here for the full 800x789 image.

Click here for the full 800x706 image.

Click here for the full 800x777 image.

Click here for the full 800x586 image.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Question! I have come across an extra Skaven Doomwheel, and one of the little bits is a line of rats that go on the inside of the wheel.

This bit is curved to conform to the shape of the wheel. I think it'd be pretty sweet to straighten it and use it as a bunch of rats on a base somewhere. Is it possible to straighten it without breaking it? I thought maybe heating it some way but was curious if someone had some advice before I mess up my extra cool bit here.

(its plastic)

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
God drat :stare:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
kross post!

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

frest posted:

Working on a Celestial Hurricanum, some WIP shots here http://imgur.com/a/vR8ZZ

Very nice. I think I would strangle myself painting a model with that much detail :psyduck:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Just finished a large construction project of mine: a magnetized 40k looted wagon for my ork army. This looted wagon is made mainly with the Tau Hammerhead Tank and the Ork Trukk (and random small parts from other Ork and Tau kits are added) and over 40 magnets!

I had the following goals for this project:

1. All upgrades must be modeled
2. The tank must support any game legal combination of upgrades
3. All 3 doors of the Hammerhead must be fully articulated.
4. All turrets must rotate freely, and the boomgun must be able to change elevation.
5. The magnets must stable enough that the tank can be held upside down without them falling off or moving*

* The tank commander sits in his turret via gravity, and so is exempt. The "Repairin' Drone" (counts as Grot Riggers) is a stand alone, decorative model and is also exempt!

Here's the upgrade "tree". Click here to see it larger and with labels.

Base chassis with just the Hammerhead engines

When a wagon does not use the 'ard Case upgrade, we have a driver we can stick in the front.

With 'ard Case, the driver is replaced with the top of the tank. I had to do considerable cutting to get the top of the tank separated from the chassis. Some plasticard skirts were added to hide the cut lines in the model.

Also note the engine covers on the back with the fins. These will be painted red and count as Red Paint Job.

The bottom turret is the "main" turret when you don't have a boomgun. The turret itself comes out of its bay and supports four different options:
Sensory Bits (not an upgrade, used when you don't attach a weapon to this turret)
Big Shoota
Rokkit Launcha
Burna

The two side drone turrets support big shootas and rokkit launchas

Both sides of the wagon have a pair of magnets that support some of the stranger upgrades available to the looted wagon.

The armor plates updgrade flank the driver position. They have additional magnets on their outsides to allow other upgrades in conjunction with the armor plates. Here you can see the wreckin' ball from the Ork Truck and the plasticard Reinforced Ram.

More armor plates attached to the sides of the wagon. I scratch built a grabbin' claw from plasticard. You can also see the stickbomm chukka on the right.

This is the stickbomm chukka, built using stickbomms from ork boy sprues and a killa kan burna. I made several concepts of a stickbomm chukka and eventually settled on this grenade launcha design.

*clicky for big*
I love Tau drones! I'm using them with the "decorative model" precedent used in the ork codex to represent certain upgrades. For the looted wagon, the Reparin' Drone counts as Grot Riggers. When put with a Mek, it counts as a Grot Oiler.

For the side doors, I chopped up some elbow joint LEGOs. Turns out they plastic glue really well to warhammer models! (You can also see where I spilled the poo poo out of my super glue on the Tau door) The rear door has a plastic axel straight from the kit, so I can open and shut it with a pair of magnets. Forgot to take a pic of it.

The boomgun has 4 magnets inside it that form an "axel" that allow it to tilt up and down. The magnets are strong enough that the turret will stay in its tilted position on its own. The tank commander just kinda sits in the turret. I stuck his arm in such a position to look like he just popped out of the turret and is shielding his eyes against the sun.

And for the big test:

Success! Pretty happy with how it turned out. Maybe I'll have it painted some time before I die.

Click here for the photo album!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Davedave24 posted:

A while back i found some cheap wooden castles in amongst the birdhouses at my local craft store and bought some to mess around with.

I coated it in textured spraypaint to make it look more stony, used stir sticks to make the door and granny grating for the top window. This is the first time I've tried using static grass and reindeer moss for some vegetation too.

I'm pretty proud of the door

There's a trapdoor up top too!

Edit: have a scale shot too

"Stay off my lawn!"

That rules! Reminds of people finding aquarium decorations to make great terrain

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
They look pretty good (I got blue skaven too) but it took you 16 hours to paint them? :stare:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Rahotep75 posted:

Well, prolly closer to 12....but yeah. That's a big reason of why I don't paint...I've tried painting a few models before, 5 or so years and it was just so tedious.

I dont know whether its my technique or what, but it just takes me forever to paint.

Any suggestions?

What's taking so long? Are you lovingly painting each tail segment or something?

Just base, block, wash, highlight and boom! you're done!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Anyone know where the pipe on this empire battle wizard conversion comes from?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Indolent Bastard posted:

I'll be damned if I can find a picture of the bit or the sprue, but that is a pipe from the Dwarf Warrior box in Warhammer Fantasy.

edit: I just rechecked and still can't find the bit, but I swear it was from a Dwarf box set.

The Dwarf Thunderers look like they have a pipe, but not that particular one.

I feel my skaven army calling back to me. I want to make some gutter runners that don't look like monkeys, but the new clanrats are impossible to repose. I can stick stormvermin arms on just about any old torso, but the legs and feet are giving me fits.

Maybe some demon players can help me out:

Are the feet on pink horrors the same size as the feet on the Queek Headtaker model? Do they have 3 or 4 toes? I am thinking I could make some sweet jumping/running poses with them.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Does anyone know if the Secret Weapon Miniature washes are any good? Specifically the gray/light gray ones?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I'm trying to make some Chakram throwing rats:

What do you think? I'm not crazy keen on the result, but maybe it would look better painted?

I just feel like there is some bit or funky washer from a hardware store that would totally make this, but I can't find it :/ any suggestions?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Yeah, it didn't quite fit when going overhand. I guess he's gonna granny-toss it or maybe he's playing horseshoes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chakram

I really want some Chakram nightrunners, since the Chakram is both a throwing weapon and a close combat weapon: count as two hand weapons and ninja stars at the same time :clint:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Painting on the sprue. :getin:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

AgentF posted:

They're looking good, but... why?

Since I'm doing my bases separately, I find I can factory paint like a beast with a skewer of rats rather than one at a time. Most of the paint job is just washes with some highlights, so its really fast.

Nebalebadingdong fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Oct 10, 2012

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

CyberLord XP posted:

Finished another member of the Grey tide. I'll get some proper group light box pics once I finish a few more.

Gat drat, grey orks are da poo poo

e: I paint my orks standard green, but I like to paint my goblins different colors :)

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

CyberLord XP posted:

From the Oath thread:

One converted Battle Wagon coming up!

Mouth closed:

And Open!

Finally here's the back view when the 'Ard case and Killkannon are off.
[timg]http://i.imgur.com/YCvQT.png?1[

Gat drat! Awesome!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Converting is fun!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

JesusIsTehCool posted:

So I have a somewhat unusual question. A while back I saw someone post a picture of a artillery cannon which used cotton as smoke for a model and it got me thinking about using non-plastic painted items with my models. Particularly I have been thinking about why fabric is not used to make mini's cloaks and capes. Is it because the flow of the cape wouldn't look right at this scale, difficulty in making detailed deigns at this size, or is it something else like the fabric get worn quickly? I might try and make some capes or something for some dark angels to try it out.

well, because

(honestly I don't think it looks that bad)

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I don't think it looks that bad at all either. How much time did you spend on that and did you just grab any old piece of cloth you had? What I want to see it like a cape flapping in the wind superman style. This is encouraging though. Tomorrow is my day off and I will be looking to make a cape for one of my sergeants.

Its not mine, I remember seeing it on google search a while back and then this thread made me think of it. I think its on the Under Empire forums

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Hope ya'll like skaven cuz I'm cross postin'!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Weirdo posted:

The bases look really keen, how did you get that colouring for the stones?

White primer -> sepia wash -> white drybrush. Gotta pump these fuckers out like license plates when you paint skaven

Too many pictures?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

ijyt posted:

I have to ask, are those bases custom made? They're lovely.

They're a mix of resin bases from Dragon Forge and Forgecraft.

The Dragon Forge bases are nicer but cost more. The Forgecraft bases aren't bad but too many of them have "clutter" that pokes up in where you would want to glue the model.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
WIP:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
More WIP for Rocket Rat!

I had a really hard time deciding how to equip him. Also I'm not entirely happy with his gun arm :(

Good thing I magnetized him :)

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Not a viking posted:

I loving laughed out loud at that. Amazing! Is it a warlord with Arabyan carpet or just a doomrocket engineer?

It is meant to be Warlord/Engineer with the Arabyan carpet. I just need to add bits to his backpack and head and then I can paint him. Thank god for Orks!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

The Saddest Robot posted:

The only thing that I am iffy about on this guy is the mounting for the rocket pack to his armor. It looks like it is something that has just been glued on, rather than something that is part of the model. Maybe if you could greenstuff up some straps for a leather harness or something to make it look like it is something the skaven actually cobbled together and is wearing?

Otherwise it looks awesome.

Yeah, his pack's not done. I'm still struggling to make it look like something he's wearing. I've got alot of bits here but I might have to eBay some stuff :(

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Purgey posted:

I'm very bad at completing stuff so I'm proud of my tiny progress.

I hate all of you talented fuckers. This kind of amateur paintjob almost killed me :negative:

These are awesome, shut your mouth!

Rocket rat has been delayed temporarily while I get the right bits, so have some new clan rats instead:

oh my :getin:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Under 15 posted:

What is the trick to getting wood to look like this?

Its just 2 washes.

White Primer -> Reikland Fleshshade -> Agrax Earthshade. Just be neat with it and make sure it pools in the recessed wood grain.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I think I've finished Rocket Rat's pack

So far, this is my favorite way to pose him:

The only thing that looks weird is that shoulder pad on his right arm points down when he's posed this way :( I will probably have to fix it or pose it differently

I finished some more slaves and my other WIP

Nebalebadingdong fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 28, 2013

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Ugh, Rocket Rat is no more :( I painted him and the colors just straight up didn't gel. Also all the finecast holes I tried to repair didn't really repair right so it looked pretty bad.

But I'm getting back on the horse and just bought another Firebelly to try again :suicide:

To make myself feel better I painted some other heroes:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Skaven cross post!

The rocket is magnetized so you can take it off after he shoots it :clint:

(I took like a ton of pics of this guy and only one came out decent, WTF)

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

PierreTheMime posted:

This is brilliant. Would you mind if I shamelessly stole this idea?

Go for it, I know I saw it online somewhere!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
And all this science, I don't understand
It's just my job five days a week
A rocket rat, a rocket rat...

Conversion came out pretty good, paint job is kinda meh.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Bucnasti posted:

For quick simple Orks, this is what I do:
1. Paint them flat yellow. Any yellow will do, I typically switch it up and use different shades on different orks to give them some variety.

2. Wash with Green or Blue. Green gives you a bright green and blue gives you a dark green.

This is the same method I use:

gently caress, I'm never priming black ever again!

VVV e:They're just shoota boyz VVV

Nebalebadingdong fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 7, 2013

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Are there any galleries or tutorials of bases that look like a limestone cavern floor? How about inside a mine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Broniki posted:

Man, I'm not getting results with spray primer at all. Using Citadel Skull White. I'm spraying in short bursts but it comes out super watery and pools in all the recesses, and barely seems to cover anything, anywhere there's a raised surface has grey plastic showing through.

Depending on the temperature and humidity, you may need to spray further away from or closer to the model. Try spraying a bit further away.

(Also make sure you shook the can up really well)

• Locked thread