Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Hahaha. Alright so the measured sag with me on the bike is 13mm. I don't have a free sag measurement off hand.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Ahh yeah I'd change one spring rate then.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Well, I feel pretty loving retarded right about now. I talked to a couple of people (Thermosman and MDM) and they both told me that the spring is right for me based on the early R6 due to swingarm length, to basically ignore the rear sag number, etc. Kinda got me thinking, so I went to measure again. Well, I had the hydraulic preload turned the complete opposite direction I meant to.

I measured a spring of the same type at 148mm, then measured the installed spring with the preload all the way out at 140mm, and with the preload all the way in at 134mm.

I'm going to give this spring another shot, I think it's fine. Fack. Time to return the drat 90.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Grizzled talked me into sticking my balls on the table and bringing the Tuono along also.

R6 is ready

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 26, 2016

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

BlackMK4 posted:

R6 is ready
Mine is not :(

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

-Inu- posted:

Mine is not :(

It doesn't look that far off :)

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

BlackMK4 posted:

It doesn't look that far off :)
It's actually not. We tore it down to check for frame damage, etc and it's immaculate. Just needs a ton of fiberglass work, which I've been dragging my feet on.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Well, I am in your shoes now too :)
Fiberglass work, subframe, fairing stay, riveting the exhaust back together, and bending the rearset back to 'straight'

Long story short, it was sprinkling / somewhere in the high 40's to low 50's at THill. I rode the Tuono for a little bit, babied the R6 around for 15 mins, swapped back to the Tuono for about an hour, and went back to the R6. The slicks were stupid cold and I was worried about it before I went out, so I thought I was being really careful. As soon as I tipped in to 3 on my out lap I lost the front with zero warning.

Ah well, that's how it goes sometimes, lesson learned. Rode the Tuono the remainder of the day.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 5, 2016

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
9 people crashed today holy poo poo.

Individual crashes too, no multiple biek pileups.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Ayyy crashfest. How was it otherwise? What track?

I managed to get the R6 through a day at Chuckwalla CCW (first time CCW for me) without incident on Friday, which is a nice confidence boost after THill. I'm scheduled to run Arizona Motorsports Park on 11/6 if the Leo Vince highmount I scored on eBay gets here in time.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
MSRH. None of the crashes were really major. Mainly just dudes on really big bikes eating poo poo because the track was 60F and they kept losing the rear blasting out of corners (rip new R1 that ate it during session 1 of novice group).

Overall it was pretty good though. It's nice outrunning that GSXR with 10-20whp on you because you kept a good line and launched/babby power wheelied out of a corner way earlier/in the correct gear.

fakeedit: I think the final tally was
5 L1 crashes (seriously 3 people, almost all at once, in different corners, in the same session :wtc:)
2 L2 Crashes
1 CMRA Mock race that had some really good video from the instructors he was trying to keep behind him. Dude was running really well until he nailed it out of a corner and drifted off track.
1 L3 crash

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Oct 24, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Heads up.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Is that Hot Bodies again?

Worst bodywork ever.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
While I agree, I'd rather spend $350/set on my cheap-rear end bike.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Speaking of, just crashed at ncbike (cw, last turn, second session). Bike's got some fairing cracks and needed a new peg, but otherwise fine if even uglier. Landed on the meat of my thumb and having a hard time gripping, so probably done for the day. It's been two months since I rode the gsxr, like 45 degrees at the time, and my tires are pretty old. Didn't feel good at all right up to the crash, really choppy inputs on my part. Ah well, lesson learned.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
:( I know what you mean about the not feeling good thing, sometimes it's best to take a step back and just work on your lines (or ride the backup bike) rather than pushing. The lovely part is dealing with confidence issues after these kinds of crashes. Heal up and post some pics :)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It took me until I was almost 30 to figure out that the "not feeling good about this thing" voice in your head is that "conscience" that people are always talking about in proverbs and fairy tales and stuff.

Like, a couple of months ago I was working on the CNC mill, and one of the fixture bolts was jammed so I was hauling on it with a 12mm allen wrench. As I was pulling harder and harder, I thought "you know, when this bolt breaks loose, my hand is going to go flying, and it's going to smash into that sharp sheet-metal edge right th--" and just then it broke loose and my hand went flying and smashed into the sharp sheet-metal edge and stripped a bunch of skin off my knuckles.

Listen to those voices.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I've trained myself to stop when I adjust myself for better leverage on a bolt/part/whatever. It's saved me a whole bunch of grief.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

M42 posted:

Speaking of, just crashed at ncbike (cw, last turn, second session). Bike's got some fairing cracks and needed a new peg, but otherwise fine if even uglier. Landed on the meat of my thumb and having a hard time gripping, so probably done for the day. It's been two months since I rode the gsxr, like 45 degrees at the time, and my tires are pretty old. Didn't feel good at all right up to the crash, really choppy inputs on my part. Ah well, lesson learned.
What sort of crash? I've learned that crashing while in the rain exiting a corner and throttling on is the best crash, I recommend crashing like that a lot.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I get that "not feeling good" every single first session of a track day, tbh. Today it was worse for sure, though. I dunno. Coldest day I've done yet, maybe I psyched myself out or whatever.

Damage isn't terrible, mostly lots of cracks on my garbage-rear end fairings, various scrapes on all the sliders, etc. I'm pretty stoked to get to do the ziptie stitches thing now. My peg got jammed into the brake lever bracket so it had to be hammered out cause it was causing my rear brake to stick shut, thankfully the suspension dude had a spare. MC res snapped off the mount and my throttle cables have a weird slop to them now, gonna replace them during winter. Bike is fine if a bit uglier.

(I didn't have the gopro attached)

It was T12 CW on ncbike. Slightly uphill hairpin type of turn. I always have trouble with cutting in too shallowly on hairpins like that and apexing smack dab in the middle of the bend, and there's this weird kinda dip there. I think I must have chopped the throttle or something, wham right on the ground and sliding across the whole width of the track across the oncoming traffic. Thankfully that's a slowass corner and nobody was going fast enough to not be able to avoid me. My thumb will be okay in a week, idk about my confidence though :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Eh, just means it's a real track bike now. :) Did you continue riding the remainder of the day? I think that's the biggest confidence thing; you need to be able to take it easy the remainder of the day, put in a few good laps once you're settled down, then pack your poo poo up and go home. If you bail right away it just fucks with you more.

I'm headed out to Arizona Motorsports Park tomorrow, though I'm sick as poo poo so I don't know how long I'll last.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 6, 2016

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Nah, my thumb was hosed up, couldn't grip the throttle.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Double post, but. My civic got totaled (<5mph fender bender without airbag deployment 😑) so now I gotta car shop, keeping in mind I have to tow the bike. Can't afford new model cars. What are you all towing with? I was thinking something like an Element, I don't wanna go the compact car route but don't really need a pickup either. It's just the two of us so a fullsize suv would be wasteful too.

e: waaait a minute... I forgot about AI

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
How big is your trailer? My wife and I use our vw golf with a kendon and haven't had any problems so far.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

M42 posted:

Double post, but. My civic got totaled (<5mph fender bender without airbag deployment 😑) so now I gotta car shop, keeping in mind I have to tow the bike. Can't afford new model cars. What are you all towing with? I was thinking something like an Element, I don't wanna go the compact car route but don't really need a pickup either. It's just the two of us so a fullsize suv would be wasteful too.

Element or crv with k-series motor and automatic (not cvt) trans are pretty drat good cars and can do light towing and will be cheap to maintain and fix.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Yeah sure, but what if you want to take your CAR to a trackday? So-called "Paint Vagrant"? A Honda Element won't do you none.

Obviously you could tow a motorcycle trailer with a BR-Zed or an FR-S. Or a Miata.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I tow with my GTI. I just bought an E46 330i ZHP and plan to put a hitch on it after I sell the GTI. Basically any car will pull a lightweight trailer with two bikes.

edit: With the added benefit that the ZHP already has all of the usual track mods so I can track it too.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 28, 2016

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

captainOrbital posted:

Yeah sure, but what if you want to take your CAR to a trackday? So-called "Paint Vagrant"? A Honda Element won't do you none.

Obviously you could tow a motorcycle trailer with a BR-Zed or an FR-S. Or a Miata.

You body-roll your funny looking Honda box around the track obviously

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

PaintVagrant posted:

You body-roll your funny looking Honda box around the track obviously

Wanted: race plastics for Honda CBR and/or Element.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

M42 posted:

Enjoy your new 1st gen miata!

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Enjoy your new 1st gen miata!

she already has an sv650 so the miata would really fit the mid-2000s goon garage motif

M42
Nov 12, 2012

gently caress a miata, the civic was already too small. Probably gonna be some boring rear end dadcar like an outback or something. I borrow a buddy's 2 rail kendon, but I don't always have access to it so might sometimes need to tow the massive uhaul one. Outback would work for that.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Legacy GT

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

M42 posted:

The answer is always gonna be a Ford Ranger.

Except when it's a Subaru Forester.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I'm looking to buy a truck i can fit my bike in for tracking etc. I cant decide if I want a tacoma/frontier or just go full redneck and go for a big 'ol f150/ram. Manual and 4wd required.
I know I could tow with my jetta But i need to buy a truck anyway.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Voltage posted:

I'm looking to buy a truck i can fit my bike in for tracking etc. I cant decide if I want a tacoma/frontier or just go full redneck and go for a big 'ol f150/ram. Manual and 4wd required.
I know I could tow with my jetta But i need to buy a truck anyway.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The answer is always gonna be a Ford Ranger.

Except when it's a Subaru Forester.

Don't get a Frontier. Tacomas are overpriced.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Don't get a Frontier. Tacomas are overpriced.

Basically where I'm at is that Frontiers and Tacomas are insanely overpriced, even for old rustbuckets. I'm pretty set on getting a full size 4X4 America Truck, either F150/Ram/Silverado since it seems like I can get a halfway decent one for ~2-5K, and if I wanted a decent 4X4 Japanese truck, I'd be looking at 6-9K.

Might snag something this weekend, just gotta make sure my bike will fit in the bed!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Voltage posted:

Basically where I'm at is that Frontiers and Tacomas are insanely overpriced, even for old rustbuckets. I'm pretty set on getting a full size 4X4 America Truck, either F150/Ram/Silverado since it seems like I can get a halfway decent one for ~2-5K, and if I wanted a decent 4X4 Japanese truck, I'd be looking at 6-9K.

Might snag something this weekend, just gotta make sure my bike will fit in the bed!

Yeah I couldn't put the tailgate up on my Ranger with anything in the back, but my 2011 F150 has no problems, and I could fit 3 bikes if I were so inclined.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Voltage posted:

why do you need 4x4? just curious, i was in this same predicament of looking for a truck to haul the bieks and i ended up giving up on 4x4 because in that price range it's such a gamble on whether or not you'll be loving around with transfer case swaps/rebuilds. ended up buying an AI goon's dad's 89 F150. is a RWD 5.0L V8 5 speed mantran with a longbed with 140k on the engine and a brand new paint job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Razzled posted:

why do you need 4x4? just curious, i was in this same predicament of looking for a truck to haul the bieks and i ended up giving up on 4x4 because in that price range it's such a gamble on whether or not you'll be loving around with transfer case swaps/rebuilds. ended up buying an AI goon's dad's 89 F150. is a RWD 5.0L V8 5 speed mantran with a longbed with 140k on the engine and a brand new paint job

Actually, the man raises a good point.
You're gonna get much better fuel economy out of a 2wd truck. Not to mention it's easier to maintain.
I bought my F150 for towing. Despite coming with all terrain tires, the most offroad it sees is the shoulder of the highway.

• Locked thread