Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
I think I want to ride a motorcycle on the track.

I've only put just over 1k miles on my beat up old 250. Do I need to spend more time just riding around? What should I look for in a track bike? What else can I do to prepare myself to ride on a track.

Also, any suggestions for schools or other good newbie track experience near Austin, TX? I don't really know where to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
Alright, thanks for the advice, I guess I'll do some work on my 250 and take that to the track, I pretty much have all the gear I need already.

I'd still be interested if anyone can recommend a track near me that would be good for beginners.

Is trying the track with my 250 and then investing in a track bike the right way to go about this? I was worried my 250 wouldn't be sufficient for a track.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
That's good to hear. About how much is a track prepped bike going to run? If I can't find a track prepped bike, how much would it be to get one set up? (assuming the basics needed for a beginner)

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

Gullous posted:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/2950362389.html
$15k for a built up gsxr7FIDDY

All the analytic equipment is really cool, not that I'm anywhere near the level requiring that equipment, it'd be fun to play around with.

I read that whole listing and probably understood about half of it :-p I wonder if I'll ever get to the point where I could take advantage of a bike like that.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

Gullous posted:

Spiffness and I ran our 2nd track day at The Ridge Motorsports Park. We had a blast with the weather and riding. We both demo'd a BMW S1000RR too, loving nuts.

Thanks for posting the video, that track looks like a lot of fun.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

Gullous posted:

Oh man...

Is that real? Can I make that?

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

Gullous posted:

The first trackday at the Ridge ran a new racer school and they were red flagging every session. Here is video I found from one session (2 wrecks):

Mudding
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkhlyK6jaLY&t=554s
I know the guy who went off here. He said his rear sunk 3' into the mud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkhlyK6jaLY&t=755s
A group rules with C group skills

This is my biggest fear about track days, that I'll just be learning and someone else will run into me and wreck me and/or my bike. Is there anything to do to avoid this other than avoiding big packs of riders?

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

I really like these videos with just the sound of the engine and a first person view camera for full laps. Plus I feel like I'm learning the track just watching all of these videos of it.

Is the amount of shaking of the windscreen/front fairing due to wind or is the bike chattering or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

GanjamonII posted:

3 (I think - TWS, GSS, MSRH..missing anything?) within 1.5 hours and more further out. Plus new track being built in Austin.

One of the few truly good things about motorcycling in Houston.

Has there been any news about motorcycle track days at the new track in Austin? I think my next bike will be a track bike, especially if there is a track less than 30 minutes away. Now all I need is a garage.

• Locked thread