Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
poo poo, now I need to find a beater SV. I'm dead scared of wadding up a bike I still owe on. :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Any of you know someone with the new zx6r and weighing around 165-170lbs? I'm really curious how hosed up my suspension settings are.

I'm based loosely around David Mosses suggestions by email but the rear felt kinda like it wanted to move around a bit mid corner (loose, mushy, not responsive), so I added an extra half turn out of shock rebound but I haven't gotten a chance to test it really yet. Stock settings were hard as a loving rock, this is -much- smoother.

Front-
Preload: 1 turn in from full soft (4 turns out softer than stock)
Rebount/Comp: 4.5 turns out from full stiff (2/1.5 turns out softer from stock)

Rear-
Preload: Stock
Rebound: Was 2.5 out, now 2 out from full stiff (goes by clicks normally)
High Speed: 1 turn in from full soft (stock)
Low Speed: 2.5 turns out from full stiff (half turn softer than stock)

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jun 19, 2010

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It would pretty much suck rear end to bin your bike and destroy your phone in the process. :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
:lol: Oh how I know what you mean.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

aventari posted:

I love my 2CT's and I ride an F4i.

I got a set 2 years ago, the front has 12,000 and it's time to be replaced.
The rear I got 6000 miles out of, and that's because I got a screw in it. Probably had another 1000 left.
Right now I have 5500 on the worn out Battlax BT-016 I replaced it with.

I've got a new set of 2CT's ready to swap on this weekend.

I dont ride the bike easy and i've done a couple track days on my 2CT's. I run a pace between advanced group and intermediate group and I love these tires on the track. I'm very happy with them for a compromise between street and track.
Wait, 6k out of a pilot power 2ct rear? I think I got like 4k out of a PP (same center as 2ct) rear on my f4i. What shape is your tire? That's pretty fuckin awesome mileage.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 4, 2010

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Jack the Smack posted:

I checked the forks and there is a distinct line around a few inches from bottoming out.

Is your preload set right? You should be getting more travel than that.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What are the details on your bike? Is that a 6r or a 10r? R1/R6 calipers?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Street tires (PP, BT016, Q2) are going to take you drat near to advanced pace... if you can tell what your tires are doing.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Better questions, how old is the shock oil (miles) in front/rear? Have you set sag? Fine tuning the rebound isn't the first step here. Either way, I probably wouldn't worry about it... people spend forever messing with how the drat tires look instead of paying attention to how it rides. As long as you don't have major issues (you don't) then don't worry about it.

If you had better pictures we could tell you about your riding habits (when you get on the throttle, how hard, etc)... you can pick this stuff up based on the color of the rubber after the ride.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 15, 2010

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I can't wait for AMP to start holding trackdays again... Firebird is a shithole and everything else is really far. :(

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Hibajubwa posted:

What is AMP? I've been to the last two AZtrackdays at Firebird, and am already beginning to hate that place. The only upside is that we've been working corners for half a day in exchange for riding the other half.

I think the next closest to Phoenix is that new Willcox track, but 3 hours away blows.

http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Arizona_Motorsports_Park
Dude that designed Miller Motorsports Park did this one too.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Oh dear, just pre-registered for a trackday on Halloween. I haven't been to the track on the new zx6r... this is going to be sweeeeet. Mounting new Dunlop Q2s tomorrow too. :D

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 18, 2010

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
From the video it looks like you kinda ride crossed up - lower half of body way off and upper part more centered, which probably puts bad input into the bars... either way, BP doesn't matter as much as most people cry about. Can't tell anything about your throttle control from the video though :(

I feel like that tippyness is probably from the same way I cause it on occasion... being over aggressive on body position and putting a lot of weight on the bars to try and move my body under braking and into the turn tip in... but hey, I am probably wrong, and I'd love to hear what other people say.

By the way, no braking drills are a test of balls and teach you a lot....

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 21, 2010

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Are there any tracks along the i40 into Cali from Az? I'm moving in January and I need to do some research. :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
First trackday on the ZX6R tomorrow... too bad it's at Firebird East. :v: Can't wait.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I didn't see your post until I got home :(

You wouldn't have happened to be the R6 with no taillight or the SV650 that went down in the afternoon?
I was running in Super Street - I had crazy rear end movement under braking and I didn't figure out until my last session that it was mostly because I didn't have enough preload in the front.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 1, 2010

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Veritas posted:

also, i am now looking for a 600 for track and race duty.

Sell you an 09 zx6r :v: I kinda want to move down to a SV650.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Z3n posted:

Where are you located? The WERA forums are pretty much the #1 resource for cheap track bikes right now, IMO.

My chick friend bought an immaculate faired 2006 SV650 like a year ago for $2300 and she has ridden it for all of 10 minutes since, I am currently trying to snag that one.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Z3n posted:

Honestly, if you're looking for a track only bike you're way better off picking up a pre modded one. You can spend 2300$ on an immaculate 06 model, and then immediately have to dump a grand into the suspension, plus track plastics, plus rearsets, plus everything else...or you can go out and spend 3k-3500$ and pick up a bike that's already built and ready to go with spares.

Prices are a bit high still at the moment but will drop as things get closer to christmas. This is a friend's bike:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350774

On the cheaper side, this is a nice proddy SV for 2200$:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337499

And this is a really nice superbike one, with flatslides and a built motor for 3700$
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346522
I'm not looking to jump right onto a racebike - it'd be more like buy it and ride it stock and slowly go GSXR front, ZX rear, rearsets/clipons and that would be the extent of it. Either way, just a pipedream right now since I am going back to school full time in January. The track was really slippery most of the day and I found myself questioning the rationality of full braking from 145-155mph off the main straight and skating the rear end all over under accel with a bike I still owe on.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 1, 2010

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Ah, I remember the SV. I was sitting in the ramada there with MY GIRLFRIEND when it went out; I saw the marshalls flip a poo poo when they noticed the oil spots.

What are you riding? Definitely down to goonmeet next time. (wow, that sounds goony)

edit: Also, slipper clutches are the loving poo poo.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Nov 3, 2010

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Has anyone been down to Inde Motorsports Ranch? I wish it wasn't 200mi away - Chuckwalla is the same distance and I can at least use it as a stop on my way to LA.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 10, 2011

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
d00d, that is Suzuka. :swoon:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I am bike-less right now. :( Looks like I am on a sinking ship job wise so it'll be a while. gently caress. The track/bike itch is really bad.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Veritas posted:

shot from today.

Invision and Ganja came out. very good day, in good company. i'll let the guys tell you all about it.

Ok, what Suomi model is that? Do want.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I keep seeing ex-AMA, Vesrah Suzuki, etc bikes for like 12-15k.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Don't take a bike to the track if you're going to have serious issues with throwing it in the trash afterwards.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

-Inu- posted:

Yeah but it comes down to what's comfortable to you. That was my buddy's first WERA race so he was legitimately trying to go fast :). He rides elbows out 'cause that's what's comfortable.

:v:

:v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

invision posted:

I honest to god thought I was just imagining this poo poo. I've been through two pairs of 2ct's and coincidentally, those are the only tires that I have ever crashed with.

I had them get slippery on the edges where the compound changes at street pace, gently caress riding them at track pace. Maybe it's the Arizona heat.

I loved Q2s and BT003s. Maybe I am smoking crack but the BT003 felt like a much softer carcass than the Q2 and I kinda liked the additional feel.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone done an open session trackday with SoCalTrackDays? They've got two days at Chuckwalla clockwise on Dec 15/16 but I've only ridden at one track before and I'm slow intermediate - kinda not sure about doing an open session thing.

If I went with a sessioned day I'd probably ride beginner for a few sessions to get a feel of the track and get back into riding since I haven't been to the track in just over two years.

edit: Actually, since I'm even worried about it I think that's enough to tell me to not do it.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Nov 17, 2012

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
...so are we up to like three 675s purchased by AI in the past couple of weeks? :lol:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I just ordered a stock exhaust for my bike so I can ride Arizona Motorsports Park. Sound certification on the 26th, so hopefully the can and midpipe get here in time.
http://xceltrackdays.com/#tab_2
Year of the trackday it is.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Here we go...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Oh, you poor PacNW people ;)
(No, I'm envious of you living up there - I want to move to Seattle)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Posting from AMP. Good news: got bumped to A group after second session. Bad news: Evan Steel from ESP has diagnosed me with a dead rod. Rear compression locked on me at 110mph while passing a R1.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I kinda felt that something wasn't right with the motor for a while now, so it was to be expected. Sucks that it was so early on during the day and before I got to ride A. Got the bump to A while sitting on the crash truck with my bike :suicide: the way the bike died was very odd to me so we'll see when I get home and start tearing it apart. On the upside, the 09+ motors make more power... But multiple people at the track said that 675s don't hold together well in stock form when run hard on the track... Arrrrr.

Also, I'm pretty sure I've got it on video.

Also, also, I'm pretty sure this is the part where I end up buying a car and having a track bike.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I added oil last night to make sure of that, but I was definitely revving it all the way out to 14k.

Checked and it's on video, I'll upload it later.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://vimeo.com/59931372

Don't make fun of my lines :(

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yea, they make you sound test (94dB) if your exhaust isn't stock; stock exhaust gets a provisional pass (what I did). There is a golf course right next to the track, the faces I got from golfers as I rolled into the track at 8am were hilarious. :lol: I'll be back with a new motor next month.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Snowdens Secret posted:

What was the deal with the cones and the guy riding right through them at about 2:00 or so?

Chicane to slow people down on the front straight and it gives a little bit of a speed differential decrease for people on pit-out. Guy that rode through them was probably really new to trackdays and maybe saw me rolling up on him quick - no idea.

Looks like a spun rod bearing for me, engine shopping in a couple of weeks when I can afford it. Hoping to make the next trackday on 3/17.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

And it's not just the motor that lets go. My street triple's been plagues with failures of peripheral parts since I started tracking it. Regulator/Rectifier, oil cooler, and cooling fan have all failed so far. It's enough to put me off Triumphs next time I buy a bike.

I love the drat bike. It better be problem free after this new engine.... I just had the R/R recall done on it last week. Heres to the oil cooler not blowing up...
I always felt like the bike was kinda slow and down on power or something but it would pull stock 600s like a freight train and will stay with a liter bike until they start making a ton of power.
And the way the bike handles... poo poo, I am spoiled now.

-Inu- posted:

So I was out at a buddy's shop earlier just hanging out. In the other room they were dynoing a bike, and all of a sudden we heard this ungodly terrifying sound. Ran over to check out what was going on and yep, bike blew up on the dyno. Yep, it was a 675. That's enough convincing for me to stay away from those bikes.

Hahahahaha. Perfect.

NitroSpazzz posted:

drat looks like that engine is toast from the posts in what did you do today, sucks but hopefully you can find a new engine cheap-ish. Did it give any signs it was going to go before it popped?

On the CRF I felt a hiccup? a couple second before it went so I knew something was going on and it was enough time for me to throw out a leg/arm to let the guys behind me back off because something was up.

Yup, I'd known for a month that the motor was on its way out. I have a video of the entire last session and you can visibly see it losing power over the last two minutes of its life. Honestly, I wasn't really surprised that it went. I wasn't even upset. Sucks to miss out on track time, especially picking up time lap by lap but at least I didn't wad the fucker.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Feb 23, 2013

• Locked thread