Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I'm looking at signing up for the January cornerspin school (http://www.cornerspeed.net/spin.html) and possibly talking my Dad into joining me. Until that time I am just enjoying the twisties in the area and making weekly trips to Deals Gap to work on body position and smooth inputs.

I've been making use of the photographers along the route to see where I can improve. Looking at the shots my position is better than before but I'm sure there is more room for improvement. Below are a few links from killboy from this past weekend, use the next arrow and each link has a couple shots per pass.
http://tinyurl.com/yg5jzo5
http://tinyurl.com/ykuhmty
http://tinyurl.com/ykkqo6n
http://tinyurl.com/yl78lzc
The main thing that looks a bit off is it looks like I'm kind of twisted on the bike, think I need to get my upper body over a bit more. Also not sure about the foot position. Hoping to do a road course track day sometime in the spring and would like to have body position somewhat figured out by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

needknees posted:

So I'm getting ready to order some stands... At this point it's just to keep the tires off the EXTREMELY COLD ground (fuckin -17F this morning) and for maintenance on the bike, no plans for tire warmers or anything yet. PitBull stuff is highly regarded but jesus gently caress it's more than double the price of, say, the T-Rex stands.

Anyone have the T-Rex stuff or have experience with it? From what I've been reading it seems they're just fine. I have a hard time thinking PitBull stands are really worth twice the dough.The forward pull rear stand they make seems to be a smart design though, of course it's even *more* expensive! You can get a full T-Rex setup, including spools and shipping, for less than 10 bucks over what that forward pull rear stand costs ALONE. ...is it worth it?

Help me spend money, CA!

I've used a few brands and really love my room mates pitbull stands but I just wanted something to use once and a while. I was able to get a set of stands (front and rear) off Craigslist for $75, can't remember the brand but they work fine for what I need. If your looking to save some cash and don't need the top of the line pitbulls you might want to watch Craigslist for a while.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

lokigoesrawr posted:

Why does the California Superbike school at Barber have to be the same weekend as the Chump Car challenge at BIR...:argh:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Well I've signed up for two track days in April...nothing like jumping in.

Cornerspin (http://www.cornerspeed.net/spin.html) on the 17th and 18th.

Talladega Gran Prix private track day on the 26th. Most likely on the DRZ but may consider the SV.

Good news is I already have all the gear, bad news is waiting until April.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Started prepping the DRZ for Monday's track day. Changed the oil, will replace the coolant with H2O and water wetter as well as bleed the brakes. Also planning on checking it over for loose hardware, chain maintenance then loading it up.

Anything important that is overlooked by new track day riders?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

needknees posted:

I couldn't get less torque in that photo if I tried. And guess which vehicle makes more power...

All loaded up and ready to go. Guess which one makes less power...There is likely less that 85hp in this picture.

Click here for the full 1125x844 image.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 25, 2010

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Jabs posted:

No, I wouldn't believe it, unless the 5 bikes and 1 car average 14 HP.

Actually 7 bikes and 2 cars in that shot. I was going to take it facing the other way but then it would have been 2 bikes and 5 cars.

Just got back, great track (talladega gran prix) and the DRZ did pretty good on it. Ran in the novice group, worked on my lines and smoothness. Was one of the quicker riders in the group and the CR as well as a few people said my lines looked really good...also said I had the loudest bike at the track but it sounded good :hellyeah: Plan on bringing the SV next time, the DRZ was fun but I was constantly running out of RPM.

Only issue I had was the lack of power in the truck. Too many drat hills around here so the group drive down mostly went on without me.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Z3n posted:

4.5 hours from me :( May as well go to infineon if I'm gonna travel that far.

4 hours is the closest track to me :( After riding the DRZ on the track I'm really itching to get back on the track and see how the SV handles it. Need to find a kart track or something so I can get my fix.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

frozenphil posted:

Barber & Talladega GP track days

If your ever headed to one of these let me know. Those are two of the closer tracks to me. I've run Tally once and plan on running Barber in the end of June.

Yay for selling the track car to fund track days :)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

tarzanspuma posted:

I'd recommend keeping a close eye on your local dealers to see if they're sponsoring a trackday in your area. I wonder if this is some kind of nation-wide program that BMW corporate has initiated. It's a great way to sell bikes... or maybe they've just invested heavily in kidney-donation futures.

Pretty sure california superbike school has also swapped out their rentals for S1000RR's. BMW seems to be doing pretty drat good at getting these things ridden on the street and the track.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

-Inu- posted:

Went to Roebling with STT on the 27th.

My room mate was there as well getting some track time before the race there that is coming up, black/red R6. I knew I should have signed up for the day but didn't.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

-Inu- posted:

What group was your roommate running Nitro?

Not sure, I would guess intermediate or advanced. Would have been the red/black R6 with yellow/black stickers with number 406 on them. Apparently he had a good time but came back sick as hell and has been in bed since getting back.

edit:He finally came out of his room last night, he was in advanced.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Mar 3, 2011

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I think I will be headed to little tally with x-act late June then again at a later date with STT. Getting the CRF prepped for gap/track duty now.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

lokigoesrawr posted:

VIR 6/11-12 and Road Atlanta 7/2-3

Need to figure out how to perf my suit to try not to nearly pass out like I did last July. Brutal summers. Spring and fall are so much more pleasant to do these in.
drat I need to get to both those tracks and am out of town both those dates.

frozenphil posted:

Hit me up if you do decide to go. I'll come chill and pit bitch for you.
Will do. Hopefully will have the CRF450R and the YSR125 prepped by then.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Just signed up for a track day at VIR with California Super Bike with a couple friends. Should be a good time. We are running the north course so I'm trying to decide between the SV and the CRF.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Looks like I'm going to have a good fall. VIR north course next week, head to Indy to watch the motogp race next weekend, Barber September and little Tally November.

SV is going to get a good workout.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

So we're supposed to load up and be on the road by 10 this morning for VIR...~hour and a half away. My bike has been prepped since Saturday night. I spent all day yesterday helping a friend put his bike back together, we still need to finish up a couple things (oil, fairings, new gaskets on gas tank). He is no where to be found and not answering his phone. Roommate disappeared last night to the girl friends house with his newly mounted tires. No sign of him, he needs to put the wheels/tires back on, flush brakes, change oil, mount race plastics.

Ah the joy of track days with friends :suicide:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Got back from VIR this morning at 6am...had some issues on the drive home.

VIR is an amazing track, we ran the north course which I really enjoyed. The changes in elevation and wide range of corner types really made it fun. I will be heading back to this track, possibly this year.

California Superbike School puts on a great school. We had five 20 minute sessions which each focused on a specific technique. My corner speed and confidence on the bike increased dramatically over the course of the day. For the price (375) I think this was a good deal. Each instructor works with 2-4 students, in our case the instructor worked with the friends I went down with and me. They also have S1000RR rental bikes which looked like a lot of fun.

The commuter SV did great on the track. Running commuting tires (pilot road 2 front, street smart rear) I was far from slowest in the group and never felt like the tires were going to give up. I may put something with a slightly more aggressive profile on for barber and future track days.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Anyone headed to Barber this weekend to run with Sportbike Track Time? I'm headed over for Saturday only, looks like a fun track.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I'm headed to Barber this weekend and was planning on using my SV650. My room mate has offered to let me use his R6 track bike for the day, he is figuring out a "rental" cost.

If I use the R6 I'll swap it back to normal shift instead of the GP shift he has I think, make it slightly less likely that I kill myself.

Would borrowing the R6 for the day be a good idea or should I just stick with my SV with commuter tires and upright bars?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Looks like I'm taking the R6. So I'll be the guy in novice on a full race bike.

Rode it into work today to get a feel for it, of course it started pouring about 5 minutes out. The GP shift isn't too bad, still trying to decide if I want to revert to normal or not.

Should be a fun weekend. Will suck if I wad it up but then maybe I'll get a good price on a track bike since he wants to upgrade anyway.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Z3n posted:

Also, be sure to properly warn it up...those bikes really need to be properly warm before they go out. I can grab the routine I use to make sure the oil is warm, not just the coolant, if you want.

That would be great. The less change I have of killing the bike the better.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

All loaded up and ready to roll tomorrow, going to be a great weekend.

Roommate gave me a quick overview of Barber. Terms used include back it in, jump the curb, drift and drag elbow. Ah the racer mentality.

Trying to decide if it is worth running tire warmers. I won't for the first session because I expect that to be a intro follow the leader session.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Veritas posted:

i use tire warmers on trackdays, but i'm also running race tires and trying to conserve tire life (keep heat cycles down). the average track day goer on a street bike, with street rubber shouldn't have to worry about it.

I'm running Power One race tires. If I was running street tires I wouldn't even think about it. With these I'll see how just doing warmup laps feels, if I get bored or have extra downtime between sessions I'll toss on the warmers.

Time to sit at work for ~4 hours watching Barber videos.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Well I made it back in one piece and so did the bike. Barber is my new favorite track and I plan on doing a lot more events with sportbike track time. I ran in the slow novice group and had a great day, kind of wish I would have signed up for both days.

First off the R6 was amazing on the track and I may have to start looking for one. A bit cramped and stupid for the street but on the track it was perfect. Warmed it up per z3n's advice and didn't blow anything up either. Didn't bother with the tire warmers and only had one "oh poo poo" moment with cold tires.

The "oh poo poo" moment happened on lap 2 or 3 going into turn 2/3 which is a downhill right. Turned in and felt fine then about 1/2 way through the corner as I started rolling on the gas the front pushed. Only slid a bit and hooked back up but it was a nice pucker moment for me.

I know BP doesn't really matter but my instructor and another coach commented on my great BP. He also recommended that I move up to intermediate which was pretty cool.

Pictures should be here in a few days and video once I find my gopro.

edit: nvm my gopro is a POS...nothing on the card. damnit

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 18, 2011

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Veritas posted:

thats why i got a contour hd. stupid go pros.

I had a contour HD then the CA hivemind said it was junk...looks like maybe I should have held onto it. Oh well no loss except one video.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Pictures from Barber showed up the other day. Not too bad although way too many weird angle shots.

This one turned out pretty good.

Think I need to drop my elbow down and forward a bit more. Being on a bike that fits me should help. A lot of parts should be rolling in over the next few days for the track SV. May be headed back to Barber at the end of October if the bike is ready.

On the subject of the SV, need some recommendations for track tires. Bike won't see street use and I don't want the hassle of tire warmers. I'm running a fast N, slow I pace.

I'm having trouble finding adjustable rearsets for the SV (gen1), so far best I've found is an adapter plate with various mounting points.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

-Inu- posted:

Little Tally

That is a great track and for the price it is even better. I'm headed there in a month with the CRF...should be a good time.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

hayden. posted:

What's are some differences between taking a track-bike 600cc supersport to a track day as opposed to a street legal KTM 690SMC? Does the KTM crash better, is it less expensive when it crashes? Is one easier to find race take-offs for? Is one "more fun" than the other (I realize that's largely subjective)? Is the KTM going to make you fall behind all the 600cc supersports?

Depends largely on the track. A tight technical track is great on a SM but a track with long straights and high speed corners is better enjoyed on a supersport. That said either works fine on either type of track it just depends on what you enjoy.

The SM will likely crash better though and getting take-offs for a supersport running standard (120 front, 180 rear) will be easier. Both my track toys run the same slightly odd 160 rear so finding take-offs can be a bit harder but still isn't too bad.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Headed to Little Tally (Talladega Gran Prix Raceway) Monday with the CRF-SM. 1.4 miles of tight corners, a few straights but nothing too bad. I was able to top out the DRZ and had fun last time...now I'm on a race-tard.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Yesterday I went to a track day at Little Talladega put on by a local guy, 7 riders per group and everyone knows each other. I was in novice which worked well on the CRF since it is lacking a bit on top speed. Worked on passing, out-braking people and different lines.

CRF performed flawlessly, tons of torque and the tires (Pilot Power) stuck pretty good. Had them slide a few times when I got on the gas too hard/early but otherwise a very uneventful day. Managed to lift the front a few times coming out of the tighter corners, scared the poo poo out of me but the corner worker said it looked good.

Weather was perfect, started around 65 and topped out around 75. Day was cut short by rain as we were finishing up out first after lunch session. Everyone called it a day and started packing up. Looking back I should have gone out and played a bit but I pry saved myself and the bike some scratches.

Downside to the day was my gopro. Recorded one of the three sessions I had it on, that session it was aimed too low so I have 20 minutes of tank and top triple with some pavement flying by. Bike sounds pretty good though.

Sadly this looks like my last event for the season. Three isn't too bad but I'd like to add a couple next year.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I'm willing to pay for a riding school or whatever if somebody can suggest one. I also don't have a 1 piece suit, is that an issue?

I did a California Superbike School one day school and enjoyed it. I may do a Corner Speed school this year, I did Corner Spin two years ago and would highly recommend it.

You're going to need a minimum of two piece leathers that zip together. Some will allow aerostitch but one piece leather is preferred.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Awesome to hear, so I guess I need to find a 1 piece or 2 piece leather outfit. That's not going to be easy to explain to she who must not be named...

WERA classifieds and area forums, never again will I buy a suit new unless I'm getting it custom made.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

A custom suit isn't to terrible right? Around 1k-$1500? I got a quote in '09 when I did Seca from someone down in LA, I think it was like $1295 for a full 1 piece race suit.

Around that I think, I should have gone the custom suit route really and will for my next suit. I bought an off the shelf Dianese which is a really nice suit but could fit better.

If an off the shelf size fits you good then by all means buy a standard suit but custom is a nice option to have. I think the company I looked into was spartan leathers and one other that were on WERA.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I feel that buying cheap leathers is a terrible idea. When I hit the track I run hard and I want to be as safe as I possibly can. $2k in leathers is worth far less than my life imo.

True good leathers cost money but I can't really see a reason to spend more than $1k on leathers. For under that you have lots of options for very high quality suits. Over that price point I'm not sure what the advantage is.

I've been down 4 times in my dianese leathers. Once at 40-50 mph on the SV, once 30 on the DRZ and twice at around 30 while racing 50's. The suit has held up great with no seams ripping and only minimal abrasion wear. I got the suit for $700 or so on sale.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Was planning on doing a track day this month but too much other poo poo going on. So first track day of the season is April 16th at little tally.

Was hoping to have the track SV going but I haven't found time to put it together yet so I may be taking the CRF which is fine for little tally. Going to be right in the middle of moving too so that should be fun. Can't wait, maybe I'll work on the SV when I get home tonight.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Veritas posted:

shot from today.

Invision and Ganja came out. very good day, in good company. i'll let the guys tell you all about it.

Way too pretty for a track bike. Also pretty sweet helmet, I need to get an obnoxious helmet for track days.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Gnaghi posted:

Anyone have input regarding the California Superbike School? They are coming to Thunderbolt Raceway in May and I've been wanting to track the Ninja for awhile. $450 a day for instruction and bike setup seems like a deal to me.

I did the one day school at VIR on my SV commuter last summer. Learned a ton, had a great time and will be doing another school with them.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Veritas posted:

$450 for a trackday? daaamn, i mean i know its the superbike school and all but still.

that being said, i'm debating doing the Colin Edwards Texas Tornado boot camp for $250.

I did cornerspin which looks like it is pretty similar to the Colin Edwards school. I know the things I learned there have saved my rear end on more than one occasion while riding like a dong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Signed up for another day at little tally in May. Need to head back to Barber this year then maybe try a new track.

• Locked thread