Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bird-o-matic
Apr 19, 2007

its u, your the one, the rill dill
i look into ur eyes and i see

:ccb:
Track days are awesome, even the bad ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird-o-matic
Apr 19, 2007

Z3n posted:

1. That's the price of going faster. You don't need warmers though, for a variety of reasons.

But heat cycles are bad...

Bird-o-matic
Apr 19, 2007

In the past I've always ridden my bike to (and sometimes back from) track days, but now that my wife's riding too we're going to trailer the bikes. Question for the trailer crew - if I've got a flat wooden trailer floor, do I need to bolt on some sort of chock for the front wheel or will the bikes be stable enough with just tie-downs?

I always thought three tie-downs per bike was plenty, but the guy I bought the trailer from disagreed.

Bird-o-matic
Apr 19, 2007

So a couple of months ago my wife had her first trackday. Looking back it didn't take Nostradamus to predict that it'd be a bumpy one - baby boy plus an only marginally road legal bike meant she hadn't ridden more than a couple of times in the past year.

To top it all off it was a wet day, so when she scared herself into running off track in the first session, the result was:

Still, she'd been bitten by the bug. We spent a few weekends running our own imaginary tracks in abandoned parking lots and that gave her back the confidence she was missing; we went back this weekend and she had an amazing time.

It was an awesome day; dry, lots of friendly people and as much track time as we could handle.

The guy who set up next to us was about a hundred years old and had bought a S1000RR because it gave him the safety net of traction control but still let him scare himself silly. He went out in the novice group, and it was awesome to see such a wide spread of people all having fun.

Bird-o-matic
Apr 19, 2007

-Inu- posted:

This poor thread. Is no one doing track days or racing this year? :(

Yeah, can't wait to see more trackday reports now that summer's here for you US folk. We just had our last trackday before winter and it was awesome.

It was an awesome day but man there was some carnage. It was a cold morning so people knew to take the first session slow... And then they went apeshit in the second. Seriously, six crashes and a red flag inside of 3 laps. I was one of them :downsbravo: because I ran off track trying to avoid some clown on a Daytona who lowsided in front of me.

So I slid off on the wet grass next to the track, picked the bike up and rode through the pits, stopping to check for damage. All good! I went back out, joining the tail end of a bunch of riders in turn 1... And one of them gets launched to the moon by his 848! Guy wasn't moving, jut lying there in the middle of the track. They red flagged the session and sent out the ambulance. Thank gently caress he was just unconscious. He came round eventually and seems to have escaped with just a broken collar bone.

Anyway, the 20 minutes people spent waiting for the track to reopen seemed to calm everyone down and the rest of the day was fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird-o-matic
Apr 19, 2007

e: Whoops, wrong thread.

e2: While I'm here, this is the track I crashed at, filmed a few weeks ago at another test day. I bit the dust yesterday in turn 3, the first left, on cold tires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWxABnozB2A

Bird-o-matic fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Mar 31, 2012

• Locked thread