Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
For sumo most people just jam hoses in a water bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Nice! Come out to the DR day on October 3rd. Send me a PM for details.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Angryboot posted:

Not sure if I can make it; can akkaya already asked me if I'm interested in being a cr for him that month. I'll check in with ya when it gets closer.

It's the monday after AFM weekend, so shouldn't be a super busy time for track stuff :) Would be fun to ride together.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Angryboot posted:

Ugh, it's gonna be tough since it's a Monday though (seeing how it's an 8 hour drive). I'll see if I can get some time off at work.

I promise it's worth it! BlackMk4 will vouch, he did a long haul to get out there as well. Open trackdays are a certain kind of glory.

Also, fingers crossed I'll have had enough time to get the CBX built by then, and that should be a thing to behold going down the front straight...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

That feeling is exactly why I've given up on full on sportbikes on the track. Sure they're faster at the absolute limit but I'm just out there to have fun these days...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I found the best way for me to handle the braking/body transition problem is to get used to bracing with a single leg and letting the inside leg hang free. You enter the braking zone, shift your hips as you pop up to apply the brakes, brace the inside of your outside thigh against the back of the tank, and apply the brakes. Once you've started trailing off the brakes/entering the corner, you dip your shoulder and off you go.

If you end up with a bruise halfway up each inside thigh you're doing it right. The superduke's square edged tank leaves a vertical bruise about 4 inches long, one of the few things I dislike about the bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Went to Chuckwalla yesterday and had the bike set up. It was like 108 and humid... gently caress.

Forks have .95 springs in them and are perfect, rear shock has an Ohlins 105 spring that is 10.7 however I was only able to get 14mm sag out of it so I need to find a Ohlins 90 rear spring before I leave in two weeks. Also need to decide if I want to jump to race tires or mount the set of Q3s I've got here. I don't have a problem with the Q3s but I am pretty cautious on them since they like to spin up and I worry about tucking the front while trail braking.

With that said, I'm getting comfortable on the bike but I need to get used to an i4 wanting to be a gear lower everywhere... that and remembering to set up passes since when I run up on someone in a corner I'm hosed with no power on the drive out. The 749 was nice because I didn't need to worry about that, same with the Tuono. Seems like the R6 stops wanting to pull a little north of 12k, is that normal? It feels dead slow but I'm not that far off power wise from new 600s judging by the straights.

Jump to race tires, mostly for the forgiveness factor if you're starting to feel cautious about your tires.

From the dyno graphs of R6s, assuming mostly stock engine internals, I'd expect it to stop pulling around 13k, with the rest just being overrev/unlocked by heavy engine work. Probably gonna wanna keep it between 9 and 13k for best drive. The sad truth is a 100hp bike isn't really fast in the scheme of trackbikes anymore, so expect to have to work a little harder.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

It's an 03, so it makes more down low than the 3rd gen. I guess I am curious since I hadn't been on a 600 inline 4 in.... 5 years? It just feels so dead. z3n, ride this thing and make sure I'm not just insane.

I've found slicks last longer than DOTs and handle heat better, which is nice since I'm in Arizona. I went back to Q3s because I was hoping they'd last longer -- unfortunately, they don't, at least compared to the SBK Pros I used to use on the Ducati.

Ride a motorcycle? Well if you insist!

You're fast enough that you should really be running DOTs or Slicks - the SBK Pros will last forever and if I were running a dedicated trackbike that's what I'd run.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Fuckers discontinued them :(

Oh no :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

2003 R6
Ohlins 20mm valves up front with .95 springs, 120mm oil height but left the drat hydraulic stops in because I forgot, 13mm above triple
Ohlins YA out back with 105 Ohlins 10.7 spring, 303mm eye-to-eye with 190 GP-A rear tire
185lb rider, midpack-A pace

I'm not getting enough sag out of the rear -- 13mm. I bought a 90 Ohlins spring which is .92. I'm thinking about it now and I'm wondering if I hosed up and I should have bought a 95/.97 rear spring. Should I try and get a 95 or just give this one a shot? I'd like to get this sorted before I leave for Pahrump and Thunderhill in a week and a half.

How much preload is on the thing right now? I'd probably only go down a single spring rate.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Ah, about 15mm of installed preload. Is there a function to equate spring rate / preload change to an equivalent sag number?

BlackMK4 posted:

Bare shock sitting on the bench, measuring just the spring length

Let's go back to the beginning, haha - what's your measured free sag/rider sag on the bike? There's no calculator but you could use racetechs calculator or call them to try and get a range.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ahh yeah I'd change one spring rate then.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I've trained myself to stop when I adjust myself for better leverage on a bolt/part/whatever. It's saved me a whole bunch of grief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Hahahaha, loving z3n.

Missed you out there but that flyby was for xXx~u~xXx

• Locked thread